New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

LED Mats w/ diffuser panel - any good?

NonDecaf
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LED Mats w/ diffuser panel - any good?

I'm looking to get LED mats for product photography to replace my CFL bulb setup. I'm hoping to switch to a compact/portable setup that (hopefully) allows me to diffuse light with a flat diffuser panel rather than a big softbox.

Basically something like this product : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R5TKVSC

Has anyone tried this and then gone back to a regular setup? I have some concerns about about the individual LEDs casting shadows at different angles.

Jan 16, 2024 at 01:22 PM
dienliv
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LED Mats w/ diffuser panel - any good?

The issue I experience when photographing some products is being able to identify the individual LEDs on reflective surfaces like a wine bottle.

I do use an Amaran F22c and F21c when I don't have to worry about that.

When I'm being very particular about specular highlights, a layer of Savage Translum does the trick.

Jan 17, 2024 at 08:26 PM
wilt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LED Mats w/ diffuser panel - any good?

Companies offering LED lighting confuse things by deliberately rating the light from the panels in units (Lux) which no other photographic lighting product uses! One has no idea of the shutter+aperture+ISO at what distance to expect. Generally speaking, they are not very bright...obfuscation.

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:34 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LED Mats w/ diffuser panel - any good?

Iím with the others. Using flat LED panels introduce more things to contend with when shooting products, especially if the product has reflective surfaces. Iíll stick with my softboxes. You can get LED lights that have standard Bowens mounts. That gives you flexibility with modifiers. Hereís an example of an LED light and Bowens mount softbox.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1753988-REG/amaran_apm021da10_amaran_cob_100d_s.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1702923-REG/smallrig_3930_smallrig_ra_r6090_rectangular.html

Thatís just me and another opinion to consider.

Jan 26, 2024 at 08:50 AM
CharleyL
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LED Mats w/ diffuser panel - any good?

LED light panels produce relatively soft light with just a plastic diffuser panel over them, but they aren't bright enough for most photography. A special soft box to fit them doesn't do much to soften their light any better, and they are far from bright enough to use for most photography/video work.

I am using 8 GVM LED 480 LS panels placed in a wide leg "U" shaped pattern on my studio ceiling to achieve a "NEWS room" style of near shadow free lighting of an 8' long Banquet Table area with two people seated behind it. This is for making short health food videomercials. I have also used some of them for infant and pet photography, where flash would startle them. This works well for this type of video, although higher ISO's are required. I have also used three of them attached to tripods and placed each side and top of a 24" cube light box tent for shooting small items where the shadows need to be minimized. These lights can each be manually adjusted for levels when shadows are beneficial. But I found that they are far from adequate for most photography use. I stick with studio strobes for the rest of my photo shoots where I wish to provide adequate light, yet have better control the shadows.

Charley

May 13, 2024 at 01:08 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.