New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              end

What tripod are you using 2024?

hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · What tripod are you using 2024?

Cinstance wrote:
The best thing about the LP series is the twist lock. I dislike the regular leg locks Leofoto uses, but the LP series is the exception and it actually has one of the best leg locks I have ever seen. The apex used is the same as the LS series, and is the weakest part in my opinion. the idea of hollowing the base to reduce the weight sounds good on the paper, but it really weakens the base and the stiffness of the tripod suffers as a result. I replaced it with the apex from LO series, which not
...Show more

You are describing their LG series and possibly the new LS Pro series. LP style leg locks with the LQ apex.

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:25 AM
Cinstance
• • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · What tripod are you using 2024?

hiepphotog wrote:
You are describing their LG series and possibly the new LS Pro series. LP style leg locks with the LQ apex.

Wow! Obviously someone at Leofoto had the same thinking as me . I still like the aesthetics of the LP with the LQ apex though, plus it is a lot cheaper.

Mar 18, 2024 at 07:41 AM
smw6230

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · What tripod are you using 2024?

Cinstance wrote:
The best thing about the LP series is the twist lock. I dislike the regular leg locks Leofoto uses, but the LP series is the exception and it actually has one of the best leg locks I have ever seen. The apex used is the same as the LS series, and is the weakest part in my opinion. the idea of hollowing the base to reduce the weight sounds good on the paper, but it really weakens the base and the stiffness of the tripod suffers as a result. I replaced it with the apex from LO series, which not
...Show more

Thanks for the writeup and ideas

Probably won't go the apex swapping route, but I can see the wisdom in that.

You're right about the Leofoto ebay deals. I still can't believe they still have some left b/c at that price, for a Ocean tripod, its practically a giveaway.

FWIW, LP-284C arrived yesterday and it took a little to get use to. I'm use to handling an FLM CP-34 so picking up the Leofoto was kinda shocking. No question the FLM build quality is better. The Leofoto isn't as smooth as the FLM but I warmed up to it. I needed something to slot in between a RRS ground pod and the the 34 FLM and the 28 gives me that. Of particular interest to me was the water sealing. I toil the beaches and coast of Southern California and I wanted something light that I could use in and around water. The Poseidon gives me that.

Agreeance on the leg locks. Really nice. Mine seems a little tight and maybe needs more grease, but 1/2 turn locks down tight.

I rarely, if ever, use a counter weight with the CP-34 but right away realized that the Poseidon will require one. Fully extended with a D500 & 16-80 attached, when you get between legs, things get tippy. Hanging a bag really solidified things operationally.

Mine is somewhat "sticky & wobbly" with an FLM cb-43 attached. I think that head is too much for the tripod legs plus I had it tensioned for the CP-34. Backing off friction made things operate much smoother. Pretty sure the perfect head for me & that tripod will be an Acratech GXP.

Mar 21, 2024 at 07:01 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · What tripod are you using 2024?

smw6230 wrote:
Thanks for the writeup and ideas

Probably won't go the apex swapping route, but I can see the wisdom in that.

You're right about the Leofoto ebay deals. I still can't believe they still have some left b/c at that price, for a Ocean tripod, its practically a giveaway.

FWIW, LP-284C arrived yesterday and it took a little to get use to. I'm use to handling an FLM CP-34 so picking up the Leofoto was kinda shocking. No question the FLM build quality is better. The Leofoto isn't as smooth as the FLM but I warmed up to it. I needed
...Show more

Don't know about the LP-284C but the LS-284C was near unusable until I filed the leg stops to increase the leg angle to 24-25 degrees. Out of the box it was inclined to tip over if I looked at it at the wrong angle. Same with the LS-284CEX.

Don't know why Leofoto is in so much love with the wimpy 51 inch max height on their 4-section tripods. If some day they release a CEX version of the LP-284C and it is available at these prices I may buy one.

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:37 PM
smw6230

p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · What tripod are you using 2024?

GroovyGeek wrote:
Don't know about the LP-284C but the LS-284C was near unusable until I filed the leg stops to increase the leg angle to 24-25 degrees. Out of the box it was inclined to tip over if I looked at it at the wrong angle. Same with the LS-284CEX.

Don't know why Leofoto is in so much love with the wimpy 51 inch max height on their 4-section tripods. If some day they release a CEX version of the LP-284C and it is available at these prices I may buy one.

Yup, and I had that very same thought about filing the leg down for more stability after slapping a D500 on it. But I haven't the foggiest idea how to do that and I don't want to ruin a new tripod in a "learning/butchering" experience. I guess a local machine shop could do it but I"m not confident about that. May call Kurt's or George's camera tomorrow and see it they have any idea.

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:29 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · What tripod are you using 2024?

smw6230 wrote:
Yup, and I had that very same thought about filing the leg down for more stability after slapping a D500 on it. But I haven't the foggiest idea how to do that and I don't want to ruin a new tripod in a "learning/butchering" experience. I guess a local machine shop could do it but I"m not confident about that. May call Kurt's or George's camera tomorrow and see it they have any idea.

It is pretty easy.

1/Wrap the spider in 3-4 layers of painters tape to protect it from accidental scratches. I actually have 4-5 strips layered that I stick on the spider between the tab and the stop

2/Pull out the tabs. Using a fairly coarse metal file and moderate pressure file parallel to the existing surface of the tab. About 40 strokes on each tab, then measure with a phone based inclinometer, they are accurate enough for this job. Just be sure that the phine edge in contact with the leg has no protrusions and rotate the phone gently around the long axis of the leg and note the highest reading.

3/It will probably take 3 or 4 rounds to get ton25 degrees. After each round carefully inspect the contact surface between the tab and the stop for lack of parallelism. Correct on the next round of filing. If you want to get really fancy you can insert a piece of paper between the stop and the tab and inspect the contact pattern. You want as full a contact pattern as you can get.

4/ If you have another tripod that opens to degrees you can set it to the same height as the Leofoto, mark the positions of the legs with painters tape, and keep filing until the Leofoto legs come close to the marks.

5/ Go slowly, it takes very little removal to get to 25ish degrees.

It will take a skilled machinist less than 10 minutes to do, so probably under $50.

Mar 22, 2024 at 01:23 AM
smw6230

p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · What tripod are you using 2024?

GroovyGeek wrote:
It is pretty easy.

1/Wrap the spider in 3-4 layers of painters tape to protect it from accidental scratches. I actually have 4-5 strips layered that I stick on the spider between the tab and the stop

2/Pull out the tabs. Using a fairly coarse metal file and moderate pressure file parallel to the existing surface of the tab. About 40 strokes on each tab, then measure with a phone based inclinometer, they are accurate enough for this job. Just be sure that the phine edge in contact with the leg has no protrusions and rotate the phone gently around the
...Show more

Hmmm. Thanks for this post as it gives me an understanding of what's involved and how to explain what I want done to a qualified machinist.

Mar 22, 2024 at 06:30 AM
aldhizerphoto

p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · What tripod are you using 2024?

It if you travel a lot and have the budget Definitely recommend the Peak Design aluminum Travel Tripod. It's about the size of a large water bottle when collapsed/packed up and a fraction of the weight of other tripods without sacrificing sturdiness or quality.

I've had mine 4 years now and I love it. I'll never go back to another tripod for traveling.

Plus you can't be the warranty. If and when anything breaks they send me a the replacement part free of charge for life.

Mar 26, 2024 at 03:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · What tripod are you using 2024?

as i say the best tool has a warranty you don't need to use. my "travel tripod" has been on the road for 12 years so far. and i much prefer to choose and use my own head w/o having to purchase an accessory to do so.

Mar 27, 2024 at 04:49 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · What tripod are you using 2024?

I'm using the same tripods for @40+ years, Manfrotto ART:161 and ART:055. The 161 is my studio tripod or location pod "if" I don't have to carry it far . The 055 does double duty, studio/location, although I'm not a backpack hiker. If I needed back country legs I'd probably go carbon fibre but it would be a known quality brand.

Mar 27, 2024 at 03:06 PM
GeofFX

p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · What tripod are you using 2024?

Tripods, jeezÖI have a bunch of them, all of them having seen better days. I have 3 older Gitzoís, one of them has a Bogen 3047 head on it. Many here probably donít even know what that isÖ😂 So I keep it around because it is a beast, and would stabilize an 8X10 field camera with a different head on it. Iíve got a couple of older Aluminum Gitzo tripods as well, they are in zombie mode and ready for the scrap yard. I have a Benbo tripod which I use for some outdoor work, how many of you have ever seen one or used a Benbo? They are rather unique, and once you get the hang of them, pretty amazing tripods. But they canít stabilize a lot of weight. I bought a Siriu 2004 a few years back now, which isnít bad, Itís done what I needed it to do, but itís not without its quality issues, at least occasionally anyhow. Throughout the past several years Iíve been thinking One of these days, I am going to get myself a good, new tripod! and inspired by this thread, I began looking around. Gitzo, Leofoto, what to get? So this weekend that just ended, I went on Leofotoís website for another reason, and there in front of me was a sale of $100 off a LS-364-C, and then with a code put in, another 20% off on top of that. So, I guess I will soon be downsizing my tripod collection, because guess what is being shipped my way today? I also bought their version of the RRS BH-55 with a clamp release to go with it. ďOne of these daysĒ happened after all this time I guess.

Apr 01, 2024 at 12:09 PM
smw6230

p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · What tripod are you using 2024?

GeofFX wrote:
So this weekend that just ended, I went on Leofotoís website for another reason, and there in front of me was a sale of $100 off a LS-364-C, and then with a code put in, another 20% off on top of that. So, I guess I will soon be downsizing my tripod collection, because guess what is being shipped my way today? I also bought their version of the RRS BH-55 with a clamp release to go with it. ďOne of these daysĒ happened after all this time I guess.

I had that tripod and found it to be a damn good value. With $100 off you can't go wrong. I mentioned this in my post above. You may want to also purchase a backup shim set for the 364c from Leofoto. Shims are the most likely thing to need repair on a tripod and having a set in your drawer is a good thing b/c you never know when one is going to break. And when it does you don't know if Leofoto will have that particular part in stock anymore.

Just the other day I was reading a thread, on another forum, about how a poster couldn't get any replacement shims from Induro for his tripod. He had to go make-shift. You can pick up replacements now from Leofoto for under $20 shipped.

Apr 01, 2024 at 10:06 PM
GeofFX

p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · What tripod are you using 2024?

smw6230 wrote:
I had that tripod and found it to be a damn good value. With $100 off you can't go wrong. I mentioned this in my post above. You may want to also purchase a backup shim set for the 364c from Leofoto. Shims are the most likely thing to need repair on a tripod and having a set in your drawer is a good thing b/c you never know when one is going to break. And when it does you don't know if Leofoto will have that particular part in stock anymore.

Just the other day I was reading a
...Show more

Thank you for that. My new tripod is here and set up.
With it I also bought the LH 55LR head, and a center column as well. I used it yesterday with my D5 and 500mm f4, which it controls quite well. I can tell already that I am going to really like this tripod.
I have taken your advice already, and ordered a spare set of shims for it. Nothing worse than having a problem develop that you canít fix without waiting for parts. Another tripod spare part Iíve found useful to keep in stock, is spare rubber feet, which are generally not expensive to get. Iíve managed to lose a few of them while out shooting over the years.

Apr 07, 2024 at 05:45 AM
davidl11

p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · What tripod are you using 2024?

sjms wrote:
i no longer have a 3 series. if i need one or similar it can be accessed where i usually work. but i haven't needed to.

that's yet another option available to me because i do carry the leg set in most places in one.

holds either tripod and a monopod with either one. And thanks to you i have 2 BH-40's instead of one.

A couple of questions, if I might. First, it looks like the tripod bag is from RRS. What model is it and what are its external dimensions? I have some travel coming up and my camera backpack satisfies the airline's size requirements for the carryon, so I'm hoping my tripod in a tripod bag can come with me as the personal item. So, second, assuming you carry on your camera gear, have you been able to take the tripod on as your personal item?

Thanks.

Apr 08, 2024 at 09:42 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · What tripod are you using 2024?

no, my tripod bake is made made by RRS. that is just a RRS velcro backed patch i had and the bag maker, Sunrise Tactical, happened to have a spot for patches on it.

https://sunrisetacticalgear.com/shop/ols/products/tactical-tripod-scabbard

it comes in 3 basic lengths overall and then the over flap is variable. mine is the 20"

by removing the head i can get it down below that 20" mark (depending on tripod configuration) if needed. never been questioned on getting on a plane as i generally put it in my roller. as seen in the pic below. and swap it into the scabbard on arrival. pic has a TFC/TQC14 and TVC24 (no center posts on either and this is for show purposes as i only carry one on a trip) and throw the scabbard in and deal with it later.

i will give the standard info about flying. each carrier has its rules and regs on in cabin carriables'

Apr 09, 2024 at 01:08 AM
wangxin311

p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · What tripod are you using 2024?

TQC-14 with BH40 for travel, hiking
TVC-3X for short distance or car reachable spot
TVC-4X, bought few months ago, prepared for astrophotography, but haven't really start yet.

Apr 28, 2024 at 02:24 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.