FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9              end

Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

LBJ2
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Stephen G wrote:
You know, not specific to SL3, but generally with cameras - we've lost a lot with the general death of text blog format / magazine professional reviews of cameras. We used to get numerical scores by sub-category and direct side-by-side.

Now with the ad market driven move to YouTube format reviews, all we get are these content creating hobbyists getting press cameras they .. somehow always love. When was the last time you actually saw a negative Youtube camera review? I struggle to read between the lines and get a list of genuine cons from many of these "reviewers".

It's a
...Show more

Here's a few potential launch-day, YouTuber negatives you might find appealing:

Chris from PetaPixel video lists a few what he describes as "steps-back" or downgraded features from the previous SL2 in the new SL3:

@ about 06:58 min mark in this video:

a few "steps back" due to accommodating the smaller body with a need to redesign shutter mech and smaller IBIS mech :

-Slower flash sync speed
-5.0 vs 5.5 IBIS

Mar 07, 2024 at 11:01 AM
Stephen G
• • •
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

The Petapixel review also seems to be underwhelmed on the AF..
"As it is, the SL3 is far more suited for studio or landscape applications and although I would happily take it into the journalistic field, I would need something else for faster action situations entirely. "

Would be good to see some more quantitative reviews on the AF

LBJ2 wrote:
Here's a few potential launch-day, YouTuber negatives you might find appealing:

Chris from PetaPixel video lists a few what he describes as "steps-back" or downgraded features from the previous SL2 in the new SL3:

@ about 06:58 min mark in this video:

a few "steps back" due to accommodating the smaller body with a need to redesign shutter mech and smaller IBIS mech :

-Slower flash sync speed
-5.0 vs 5.5 IBIS

Mar 07, 2024 at 11:16 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Stephen G wrote:
The Petapixel review also seems to be underwhelmed on the AF..
"As it is, the SL3 is far more suited for studio or landscape applications and although I would happily take it into the journalistic field, I would need something else for faster action situations entirely. "

Would be good to see some more quantitative reviews on the AF

I never expected the brand new Panasonic/Leica hybrid AF with PDAF to be anywhere near Sony, Canon, Nikon level. Not yet anyway. Just like those brands, it's going to take some time/effort for Panasonic to evolve, enhance. FWIW, I'm fine with the current CDAF + DFD for how I use the SL2.

Panasonic does have this new AI technology they are working on: "Multimodal distribution handling" which may at some point help Panasonic to leap-frog their new Hybrid AF system performance in some areas.

"...The new system uses different AI algorithms that should recognize common subject characteristics even if their appearance is visually different. The same bird will look completely different when lit from the front or back, with clear or cloudy skies, not to mention inside foliage, etc. Two identical cars with different paint schemes look different even under similar lighting conditions. The new algorithms should be able to “look over” these variables and identify the subject based on several indications. "

https://www.cined.com/panasonic-develops-image-recognition-ai-future-camera-innovation/

Mar 07, 2024 at 11:25 AM
Stephen G
• • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Personally I'd read all this as "if you are already in the SL system, you will enjoy the AF improvements.. " but not enough of a step where you'd switch systems to SL for any sort of action shooting where you are currently using Sony/Nikon/Canon due to the performance difference.

And you have the possibility that it improves with firmware over the next two years.

Which is fine! But let's save some GAS equipment turnover by acknowledging this likely scenario.

Mar 07, 2024 at 11:35 AM
Stephen G
• • •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Interestingly the reviews of the AF are all over the place

The Phoblographer described it as "the fasted AF of any camera with this 60MP sensor" and claiming its besting some Sonys.

Kai Wong seems pretty happy as well but caveats it as "not for anything too sporty" and his co-host is a little less happy with the video AF performance.

Mar 07, 2024 at 11:58 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Stephen G wrote:

The Phoblographer described it as "the fasted AF of any camera with this 60MP sensor" and claiming its besting some Sonys.

Kai Wong seems pretty happy as well but caveats it as "not for anything too sporty" and his co-host is a little less happy with the video AF performance.

Yes, Both Jordan and Chris do not hold back on what they like and don't like so much on the SL3. Something based upon what you complained about with regards to most YouTubers on launch-day you might find valuable/refreshing. Check the conclusion of the video for a summary of their disappointments.

Mar 07, 2024 at 12:15 PM
Matt Kerby
• • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

I owned the s5II and thought it was an awesome little camera. The AF was WAY better than the previous SL attempts, but if it's basically the same as the Panasonic, it's not as good as Sony's. So, it's pretty good and fun and works mostly well, just not the best.

Mar 07, 2024 at 12:30 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

My biggest disappointment is no multi-shot. I use multi-shot all the time with my SL2S cameras and love the results.
Example below
Death Valley after repeatedly, unusual heavy rains
“Watermarks”

Mar 07, 2024 at 02:39 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Also forgot to mention it seems Leica is taking a chapter from Fuji and NOT providing an external charger. That's a first for Leica in the last 12+ years.

Mar 07, 2024 at 02:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

I love my Leica M camera and glass. I would love to have an all Leica photographic World. But, after watching some of the introduction videos I am sorry to say, I still just don't get the SL line. Big, heavy, slow cameras and lenses. I can get the same sensor in a camera that costs half, and performs orders of magnitude better, which of course is what my current kit looks like.

Mar 07, 2024 at 02:47 PM
Stephen G
• • •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

I appreciate the size & weight changes though they seem pretty marginal, not the compact interchangeable lens Q and Sony A7c competitor many have clamored for.

Some reviewers mention low battery life, and there's some reduced IBIS performance though I am sure it's not really noticeable.

There is now 8k video, but it sounds like cropped sensor plus rolling shutter artifacts so maybe not anything to write home about until SL3-S.

It's a shame they didn't improve the EVF resolution to next generation Sony A1/Fuji GFX100II level, given we are going to be living with this as top SL line model until 2029. Also some complaints about the resolution dropping while in C-AF I believe?

I'd like to see what they are able to do in firmware over the next year, as I get a hint there are some quirks/performance concerns.

The jury seems very much out on the autofocus. It's either better than Sony A7RV level or it's still a tier below Sony/Nikon/Canon and strictly a portraits & landscape camera. Jono's review seems like the most negative I've seen him on a Leica camera, particularly around autofocus, though he still says he's buying one.

Alongside my existing M, the SL3 doesn't really entice me to try SL again over HB/Fuji 100MP medium format. I'll probably end up dabbling in one used over the next 5 years like I have every other SL, but not enthusiastically.

All in all an incremental upgrade that existing owners will be happy with but isn't really going to broaden the market.

Mar 07, 2024 at 07:01 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

1bwana1 wrote:
I love my Leica M camera and glass. I would love to have an all Leica photographic World. But, after watching some of the introduction videos I am sorry to say, I still just don't get the SL line. Big, heavy, slow cameras and lenses. I can get the same sensor in a camera that costs half, and performs orders of magnitude better, which of course is what my current kit looks like.

Nothing quite competes with an SL body and APO SL Summicrons. Nothing. Not even the best M glass. Sony, Nikon and Canon make a lens here or there that are as good. But as a matched set...........

Gordon

p.s. SL3 in hand and IMHO it's still in beta firmware, regardless of what Leica say.

Mar 08, 2024 at 12:08 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

flash wrote:
Nothing quite competes with an SL body and APO SL Summicrons. Nothing. Not even the best M glass. Sony, Nikon and Canon make a lens here or there that are as good. But as a matched set...........

Gordon

p.s. SL3 in hand and IMHO it's still in beta firmware, regardless of what Leica say.

I have tried the SL line. If I were willing to put up with that form factor and slow cumbersome performance to get image quality I woukd just go medium format. MF will clearly best the SL in IQ. In my AF camera kit I want the best AF, speed, and agility, available. That is clearly not SL. In my MF kit I want high IQ, compact size, and best possible MF experience. To me that means Range Finder. That is what the M is, again not what the SL is.

All just personal preferences of course.

Mar 08, 2024 at 12:24 AM
Malabito
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Stephen G wrote:

The Phoblographer is a joke... have you seen his reviews and images? Most certainly, the autofocus is highly improved over the last version, but I can bet you a Leica that it is still far from Sony, Canon, and Nikon. Look at the Panasonic S5II, and I'm pretty sure the Leica is not even as good as the Panasonic... (Panasonic S1 and S5II have better autofocus than SL2).

Mar 08, 2024 at 12:53 AM
flash
• • • • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Malabito wrote:
The Phoblographer is a joke... have you seen his reviews and images? Most certainly, the autofocus is highly improved over the last version, but I can bet you a Leica that it is still far from Sony, Canon, and Nikon. Look at the Panasonic S5II, and I'm pretty sure the Leica is not even as good as the Panasonic... (Panasonic S1 and S5II have better autofocus than SL2).

Not as far as you'd think but yes, not at that level. My SL3 and S5II are basically identical in AF performance.

Gordon

Mar 08, 2024 at 03:31 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

I am more-positive about the SL3 than I had thought that I would be. Before the announcement, I had viewed the arrival of the SL3 as being likely to create opportunities for me to acquire a pre-owned SL2 or SL2-S at a lower price, or, if not SL-series cameras, then, perhaps other pre-owned Leica equipment at lower prices. Well, just looking at the exterior, I see a programmable dial that is located on the camera’s top left, to match the location of an M10’s ISO dial is located. (Yes, I still like to dial the ISO up and down, rather than use Auto ISO.) Secondly, the tilt-able rear screen is something that I am appreciating, increasingly. The battery grip appears to be well-executed. There is an external charging capability, via USB-C cable.

UI: The displays appear to continue to be user-friendly, and apparently improved, compared to previous SL-series cameras. (I have not yet started using the SL system.)

My only disappointment? Well, the authentication capability, that is present in the M11-P, is not in the SL3. If I were to get back into forensic/evidentiary photography, that would be a desirable feature, but authentication capability is not yet widespread, across camera systems. (My current best system for forensic/evidentiary shooting is Canon EOS EF, with my 5D Mark IV having the very useful built-in GPS, to document where an image was shot. This is currently handy for “citizen scientist” volunteer work.)

I am not concerned about the AF, though it appears to be better than that in the SL2. My wife remains an avid Nikon shooter, so most of our lenses and accessories are Nikon. D5/D850 AF remains adequate, and we have the “pro zoom trinity” ready to go.

Edited on Mar 08, 2024 at 10:24 AM · View previous versions

Mar 08, 2024 at 08:59 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

RexGig0 wrote:
I am more-positive about the SL3 than I had thought that I would be. Before the announcement, I had viewed the arrival of the SL3 as being likely to create opportunities for me to acquire a pre-owned SL2 or SL2-S at a lower price, or, if not SL-series cameras, then, perhaps other pre-owned Leica equipment at lower prices. Well, just looking at the exterior, I see a programmable dial that is located on the camera’s top left, to match the location of an M10’s ISO dial is located. (Yes, I still like to dial the ISO up and down, rather
...Show more

Interesting Leica stated the SL3 development was too far along to be able to include the newer and additional chip needed to support the authentication capability. But also interesting is the M11-P which is derived from the base M11 (2022) was not?

Sony announced they are going to add the authentication capability via firmware to their Sony A1 ( 2021) and A7sIII (2020) cameras.

Looks like there is more than one type of in-camera authentication technology:

Apparently "Sony’s new in-camera solution creates a digital signature at the time of capture, and unlike Leica’s M11-P, Sony’s answer to the “fake news” problem does not require specialized hardware inside its cameras."–Petapixel

https://petapixel.com/2023/11/21/sonys-in-camera-authentication-technology-passes-aps-tests/

Edited on Mar 08, 2024 at 09:48 AM · View previous versions

Mar 08, 2024 at 09:17 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

LBJ2 wrote:
Interesting Leica stated the SL3 development was too far along to be able to include the newer and additional chip needed to support the authentication capability. But also interesting is the M11-P which is derived from the base M11 (2022) was not?

Sony announced they are going to add the authentication capability to their Sony A1 ( 2021) and A7sIII (2020) cameras.

Looks like there is more than one type of in-camera authentication technology:

Apparently "Sony’s new in-camera solution creates a digital signature at the time of capture, and unlike Leica’s M11-P, Sony’s answer to the “fake news” problem does not
...Show more

I saw that part, about the SL3 development being too far along to add the authentication capability.

As for Sony, well, I doubt that I would want to add a totally new brand, especially with such different menus, ergonomics, and UI. Well, actually, my “bridge” camera, long ago, was a Sony DSC-H20, a time when my laptop was a VAIO, but when I started needing a DSLR, and a world-class macro lens, preferably weather-sealed, in 2010, Sony was not ready to meet that need. (Canon was best, with Nikon in a distant second place, at that point in time.)

Thanks, but, I will revisit the authentication capability issue if/when I have a truly compelling need for it.

Mar 08, 2024 at 09:47 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.