FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              9       10       end

Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

2613pch wrote:
I find my SL2s give me great portraits even with my cheap lenses and manual focus its the way all cameras should work with a manual lens. I have the sumimcron f2 35mm Leica lens as the only Leica lens so far and I like it, but don't love it to me its a 8 out of 10 strange distortion when camera is slightly pointed upwards that takes some PS work to iron out completely.
I love the files out of the Leica for my portrait work just amazing. the camera is so easy to set up and make my
...Show more
Why haven't you tried the SL APO35? It's superior in every way.

Desperately wanted to get X2d100c but its not ready for prime time being its not a real feature packed mirrorless camera with over exposure and other viewfinder data. And I don't need another system for stills (landscape)

What's missing on the X2D after the latest update? Histogram and face detect are there. The manual focus experience with the XCDV lenses is better than M lenses on the SL2. And it's the logical upgrade to your H6. Then you just have the X2D and A1 systems.

IF LEICA WOULD FINALLY COME TO THIER SENSES AND RELEASE M-EVF I'M DOWN (I SOLD MY M BODIES BECAUSE OF THE LOW AMOUNT OF KEEPERS NOT LEICAS FAULT JUST ME AND MY EYES) when I made gritty grainy out of focus B&W images the M's were great at that kind of work!

I made a poll at LuF. Many people agreed with you and we know Stefan Daniels saw it. So there's hope.

Gordon

Jan 16, 2024 at 04:17 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

flash wrote:
Why haven't you tried the SL APO35? It's superior in every way.

What's missing on the X2D after the latest update? Histogram and face detect are there. The manual focus experience with the XCDV lenses is better than M lenses on the SL2. And it's the logical upgrade to your H6. Then you just have the X2D and A1 systems.

I made a poll at LuF. Many people agreed with you and we know Stefan Daniels saw it. So there's hope.

Gordon

The SL 35/2 APO is undoubtedly my favorite among them, but I never had the chance to try the 21/28 lenses. Next is the mighty SL 50/1.4 Lux, which I eventually sold due to its size, but I adore the way it rendered. Finally, the SL 90/2 APO was a spectacular lens. The SL APO lenses are the primary reason I choose to shoot with the SL line. Yes, I adapted M lenses as well, but I wouldn't even consider a third party AF lens for this system unless the price was a limiting factor.

Jan 16, 2024 at 04:30 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Fred.. When you use your M adapted lenses on the SL2 vs the M10-- how do the lenses perform in comparison using the two camera formats?

Fred Miranda wrote:
The SL 35/2 APO is undoubtedly my favorite among them, but I never had the chance to try the 21/28 lenses. Next is the mighty SL 50/1.4 Lux, which I eventually sold due to its size, but I adore the way it rendered. Finally, the SL 90/2 APO was a spectacular lens. The SL APO lenses are the primary reason I choose to shoot with the SL line. Yes, I adapted M lenses as well, but I wouldn't even consider a third party AF lens for this system unless the price was a limiting factor.

Jan 16, 2024 at 10:04 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

mark1958 wrote:
Fred.. When you use your M adapted lenses on the SL2 vs the M10-- how do the lenses perform in comparison using the two camera formats?

The performance isn't as good as on a Leica M body, but it's the best when adapting M lenses to a mirrorless body. Some lenses even surpass the Leica M on the SL. An example is the Voigtlander 21/1.4 Nokton, which surprised me...

Most Leica M lenses perform admirably on the SL, unless you're extremely particular and closely inspecting pixel-level details in the corners. Most Voigtlanderr lenses also excel on the SL sensor. However, two exceptions are the CV 35/2 APO and 50/2 APO lenses. I'm not sure why, but for some reason, I notice degradation towards the corners with these two lenses specifically.

Jan 16, 2024 at 10:27 PM
SlowDriver
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Fred Miranda wrote:
Most Voigtlanderr lenses also excel on the SL sensor. However, two exceptions are the CV 35/2 APO and 50/2 APO lenses. I'm not sure why, but for some reason, I notice degradation towards the corners with these two lenses specifically.

It would be hard to imagine though that M-mount adapted Voigtlander lenses on the SL work better than the same lenses on Nikon Z or Canon RF as they become available as native lenses for those platforms... unless Voigtlander does not optimize for those platforms...

Additionally on Canon RF the focus guide works really well and the new Voigtlander lenses are electronically coupled from what I have understood.

Jan 17, 2024 at 06:18 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

SlowDriver wrote:
It would be hard to imagine though that M-mount adapted Voigtlander lenses on the SL work better than the same lenses on Nikon Z or Canon RF as they become available as native lenses for those platforms... unless Voigtlander does not optimize for those platforms...

Additionally on Canon RF the focus guide works really well and the new Voigtlander lenses are electronically coupled from what I have understood.

I was surprised when using the CV 21/1.4 Nokton "M-mount" on the SL2 and SL. I tested it multiple times, and interestingly, the corners were consistently better on the SL when shooting wide open compared to my Leica M bodies. I hesitated to share this because it might sound unbelievable, but it's true.
Not sure about Canon or Nikon as their sensor stack is much thicker. By the way the CV 21/1.4 M lens does not perform optimally on a Sony sensor either but Sony has a dedicated version.

Jan 17, 2024 at 10:25 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

The SL series is much to big and all the lenses are gargantuan in size as well. I just don't understand what Leica is trying to do with this line of cameras. I had the opportunity to use on for a day with the 35 APO and its great fun to use. I know I would just never bring it with me anywhere due to the sheer volume of the system.

What seems screamingly obvious to so many, even to many Leica users, that the system is too big and heavy, seems to blithely pass Leica by. They make their money from the M system as far as I can see, but somehow want to believe that they are right with their approach to the comparatively poorly selling SL system. Whoever made the initial, basic decisions on size has a lot to answer for. It seems to me to all be rather stupid.

Jan 17, 2024 at 12:26 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

fededuran wrote:
And now the bar is set at the 8,000 euro range. Does this strategy have an end? Of course not.

No end in sight.

One day soon I will just put on the brakes and say enough is enough even if I have the funds. I very much like the SL2S 24MP and could happily live with that for many more years to come.

Edited on Jan 18, 2024 at 09:18 AM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2024 at 04:05 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

wolfloid wrote:
What seems screamingly obvious to so many, even to many Leica users, that the system is too big and heavy, seems to blithely pass Leica by. They make their money from the M system as far as I can see, but somehow want to believe that they are right with their approach to the comparatively poorly selling SL system. Whoever made the initial, basic decisions on size has a lot to answer for. It seems to me to all be rather stupid.

The Nikon Z8 is bigger and heavier.

Gordon

Jan 17, 2024 at 04:29 PM
sclarnsd

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Using some roughly equivalent 35mm lenses there really isn't much in it: Z8 vs SL2. Remove the hood from the Sigma and it is quite a bit smaller.

Jan 17, 2024 at 04:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

flash
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Fred Miranda wrote:

I have the 21, 28, 50 and 90 APO SL's as well as the 50 Sl 'lux. I got the 28 and 21 in anticipation of the SL3.

I don't see anything in the small format space besting that set, except for specialty applications. The new 100mm from Panasonic is also VERY interesting.

The EVF experience with M lenses on mirrorless cameras has been kind of *meh* for me, personally. I appreciate the size differences but I'm fairly immune to them. A day with an M and three extra lenses in a hip bag doesn't feel measurably more comfortable than the SL2 and three Summicrons in a hip pack. So if I'm taking an SL it's with SL lenses. M with M lenses. It's about the different experience not the different size, for me. And generally, I think the SL lenses are better than their closest equivalent M.

I have the small elephant in the room that is the X2D. I have to see how the SL3 will fit in with that kit......

Gordon

Jan 17, 2024 at 05:05 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

sclarnsd wrote:
Using some roughly equivalent 35mm lenses there really isn't much in it: Z8 vs SL2. Remove the hood from the Sigma and it is quite a bit smaller.

Sorry, What Sigma? Your pic shows a Panasonic lens on the SL2. The Sigma 35/2 contemporary is much smaller than the Panasonic in the photo. Is that what you meant?

Point is the SL2 is criticised for being too big and a camera a bit bigger/heavier gets camera of the year on every photo web site there is. Doesn't make sense.

Gordon

Jan 17, 2024 at 05:16 PM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

flash wrote:
The Nikon Z8 is bigger and heavier.

Not heavier and unlike Leica Nikon has at least 4 other FF bodies that are significantly lighter.... and unlike Leica Nikon did not kill its APS-C systems...

As far as I am concerned Leica can keep the SL2/SL3 as is but in my opinion they need at least one body that is significantly smaller and lighter.

Jan 17, 2024 at 07:12 PM
sclarnsd

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

flash wrote:
Sorry, What Sigma? Your pic shows a Panasonic lens on the SL2.

I had orginally selected the Panasonic and then switched it to the Sigma. I guess CameraSize doesn't remember the changes...

Jan 17, 2024 at 07:22 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

wolfloid wrote:

+1. Two things to add to this:

- Kaufmann committed years ago to the L-mount as being the future for Leica Cameras. With this came the L-alliance - the latter being a good idea but didn't help the SL series much. It is falling short of sales expectations since.

- Second best selling camera series for Leica is after M- the Q-series. This success comes with a debit - IMO the Q was originally thought be be a mini SL camera with fixed lens. But IMO Leica underestimated where their roots are - providing small camera gear with high quality optics. People want the M series with exchangeable M-mount and/or go with the smaller Q-series and fixed lens.

Leica now has a hard time with commitment to L-mount and the Q-series to make a camera many Leica users desire: call it a Q with exchangeable lens mount or "EVF M" in parallel to existing rangefinder M series. With such camera in the program, the Q-series would only have the eventual advantage of AF over an "EVF M", and the SL series would be pushed back into a narrower niche of video-centric users - because M-lens users using the SL would all switch to such "EVF M", too.

And Leica hates likely this idea of potential in-house competition. Thery are sort of stuck here currently IMO.

Jan 17, 2024 at 08:37 PM
Geoff CB
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

I look forward to buying the SL3 used 3 years from now.

Adore my SL2 and 75mm F2 APO. Just a wonderfully balanced combo. Also love the rendering and handling of the 24-90 and 90-280.

It is all absurdly expensive, but I am fortunate to be able to purchase for pleasure as well as practicality. When I need to shoot an event/sport with reliable AF I use my two Panasonic S5 IIx's. If it's portraits, travel, or personal, I use the Leica.

Jan 17, 2024 at 08:58 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Those APO SL lenses are to die for. Time will tell if the system lasts. I sure hope so since they finally upgraded the FW with much better eye/face detection even without PDAF. They should have done that some years ago because with the SL competing with like camera systems, Leica can no longer afford to be technologically last in class.

Jan 17, 2024 at 09:45 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

SlowDriver wrote:
Not heavier and unlike Leica Nikon has at least 4 other FF bodies that are significantly lighter.... and unlike Leica Nikon did not kill its APS-C systems...

As far as I am concerned Leica can keep the SL2/SL3 as is but in my opinion they need at least one body that is significantly smaller and lighter.

Camera size says Nikon Z8 is 75g heavier than SL2.

Got to agree on the CL though. A daft decision by Leica. But in line with their positioning as a luxury only brand. They did the same with the Summarit M lenses.

Gordon

Jan 17, 2024 at 10:14 PM
Stephen G
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

retrofocus wrote:
+1. Two things to add to this:

- Kaufmann committed years ago to the L-mount as being the future for Leica Cameras. With this came the L-alliance - the latter being a good idea but didn't help the SL series much. It is falling short of sales expectations since.

- Second best selling camera series for Leica is after M- the Q-series. This success comes with a debit - IMO the Q was originally thought be be a mini SL camera with fixed lens. But IMO Leica underestimated where their roots are - providing small camera gear with high quality optics.
...Show more

Right
Steve Jobs used to say something along the lines of he'd rather cannibalize his own sales than have someone else do it. Leica could probably take a page out of that book. Look at what Sony has done with the a7c line..
An SL3c would be more interesting to me than an SL3-S derivative.
I think the Q really was a surprise success for them after trying a few fixed lens variants over the years.

They are clearly afraid of a an EVF-M or L-mount Q type form factor harming M/Q/SL sales but.. I think it is foolish.
I have dabbled in the SL system multiple times (and honestly the A7, Z and S1r as well) and just.. can't do the big mirrorless.

I love the M & Q.
Sell me a mirrorless I'd love too.
Plenty of their customers are like me I would believe..

Jan 17, 2024 at 10:42 PM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

flash wrote:
Camera size says Nikon Z8 is 75g heavier than SL2.

Got to agree on the CL though. A daft decision by Leica. But in line with their positioning as a luxury only brand. They did the same with the Summarit M lenses.

Gordon

The SL2 weighs 835g (body only) whereas the Z8 weighs 820g (body only)(910g with battery). Let's not compare SL2 weight without battery to Z8 weight with battery. Camera Size should know better...

I have said his before. My Hasselblad with 38V weighs 500g less than my SL with 35mm APO and I like the files better. I am literally never ever taking the SL with me...

Jan 18, 2024 at 06:30 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.