FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              9       10       end

Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

RustyRus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

LBJ2 wrote:
You wrote. "I just don't understand what Leica is trying to do with this line of cameras."

To provide access to the best full frame lenses Leica has ever made; the Leica SL APO primes.

At least that's why I bought the Leica SL2 😎

Fair Enough- No doubt those APO lenses in the SL line are incredible so it was a silly comment more from my personal taste. Its a really amazing camera to hold its just way to big for me and what I want in a system. No doubt they are incredible if you can deal with the size/weight of the system.

Jan 15, 2024 at 04:50 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

AndereObjektiv wrote:
Looking forward to this camera, although I suppose it may have the "content credentials" feature of the m-11p, which I'm not so keen on. Also, Nikon is producing a camera with the 61mp BSI CMOS, so it will be a nice selection of choices for this excellent 133 lp/mm angular spatial resolution sensor from the Sony 3.76 μm pixel family.

If it does feature content credentials, and you don't like it, can you just disable it?

Jan 15, 2024 at 04:50 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

LBJ2 wrote:
You wrote. "I just don't understand what Leica is trying to do with this line of cameras."

To provide access to the best full frame lenses Leica has ever made; the Leica SL APO primes.

At least that's why I bought the Leica SL2 😎

The SL 50mm f/1.4 Lux is also amazing, despite its large size.

Jan 15, 2024 at 04:54 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

RustyRus wrote:
Fair Enough- No doubt those APO lenses in the SL line are incredible so it was a silly comment more from my personal taste. Its a really amazing camera to hold its just way to big for me and what I want in a system. No doubt they are incredible if you can deal with the size/weight of the system.

Coming from small and compact Sony FF mirrorless since the original Sony A7r and the Leica rangefinder, took me a couple of outings to become accustomed to the size/weight of the SL2. But once I acclimated, I now wonder what the SL2 forum size/weight brouhaha is all about. I am super happy to travel long distance with the SL2 + 35/50 SL APO primes for instance IMO a super nice travel kit and in my case along with the Leica SF60 flash.

*FWIW, my SL2 kit is the only kit I use 100% with a camera neck strap. I use wrist strap with the Sony A1+ extension grip and the Leica M11 + grip for comparison.

I understand we all have different levels of fitness and sometimes small and compact is a priority over IQ, but you might be pleasantly surprised as I was and am, just how good it feels to shoot the SL2 compared to my very capable Sony A1. Similar to that unexplainable feeling of shooting with Leica rangefinder

Jan 15, 2024 at 05:07 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Fred Miranda wrote:
The SL 50mm f/1.4 Lux is also amazing, despite its large size.

One of these days! I'm patiently waiting for the right deal to come along.

Jan 15, 2024 at 05:08 PM
genjy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

RustyRus wrote:
Why is it a professional line? Because of the price tag?

High MP FF sensors, weather resistant, dual card slots, vertical grip, still/video hybrid centric, high res EVF, high quality AF lenses, etc. This SL line is meant for studio and commercial photographers who shoot models, portraits, products, and video... not so much wildlife and sports. It's similar to Sony's A7R line.

Jan 15, 2024 at 05:09 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

flash wrote:
Leica don't give a shit about what other cameras are doing. They're not making a system that's competitive with other manufacturers. Then they'd have to compete with other manufacturers. They're making their own space like any luxury brand tries to do. This is like Ferrari making an SUV. Do you think they care what Kia is doing, or even BMW? As soon as people start banging on about how you can get a Canon for half the price that does more they've already missed the point. The SL is primarily for people who are too cool to shoot Canon....

My order
...Show more

I'm going with Gordon's statement "Leica don't give a shit about what other cameras are doing. They're not making a system that's competitive with other manufacturers." 👍🏼

Jan 15, 2024 at 05:16 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

genjy wrote:
High MP FF sensors, weather resistant, dual card slots, vertical grip, still/video hybrid centric, high res EVF, high quality AF lenses, etc. This SL line is meant for studio and commercial photographers who shoot models, portraits, products, and video... not so much wildlife and sports. It's similar to Sony's A7R line.

I'm not criticizing the AF performance in the SL line; it's highly accurate but not optimal for tracking fast subjects. I find it suitable for studio work. However, it's noticeably less advanced compared to what Sony and other brands with phase detect offer. Currently, it might not be deemed entirely 'professional' for someone depending on AF to capture fast shots. I'm optimistic that the SL3 will improve this aspect.

Jan 15, 2024 at 05:17 PM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

flash wrote:
Leica don't give a shit about what other cameras are doing. They're not making a system that's competitive with other manufacturers. Then they'd have to compete with other manufacturers. They're making their own space like any luxury brand tries to do.

But is that strategy working? And if not could it be that the issue of size and weight has a lot to do with that?

I am not saying that Leica should not make the SL3 but I am saying that there should be at least one more compact FF L-mount body, especially also after Leica discontinued the lightweight L-mount solution which was the CL.

I watched one of the Leica Store Miami YouTube videos recently. They were practically begging for a complete lightweight and more affordable non-APO line of lenses like the relatively recent 35mm and 50mm.

Will they ever come? Nobody knows because there is no roadmap... Is Leica even still designing new SL-lenses? Also nobody knows because (except the designs that were started 5 years ago) all new lenses have been rebadged Panasonic or Sigma lenses.

Jan 15, 2024 at 05:26 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm not criticizing the AF performance in the SL line; it's highly accurate but not optimal for tracking fast subjects. I find it suitable for studio work. However, it's noticeably less advanced compared to what Sony and other brands with phase detect offer. Currently, it might not be deemed entirely 'professional' for someone depending on AF to capture fast shots. I'm optimistic that the SL3 will improve this aspect.

Clearly Panasonic/Leica got the message. PDAF with DFD assist coming to all our new AF cameras soon !

Although I do think it's going to take time and more than a few firmware updates to come up to competitive super-sonic Sony/Canon/Nikon PDAF performance levels. Panasonic's latest AI announcement might be a hint.

"Press text: Panasonic HD Develops Image Recognition AI With New Classification Algorithm That Can Handle Multimodal Distribution"
https://www.l-rumors.com/press-text-panasonic-hd-develops-image-recognition-ai-with-new-classification-algorithm-that-can-handle-multimodal-distribution/#disqus_thread

Jan 15, 2024 at 05:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mfoto
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Another vote for a slightly smaller SL3 and eventually SL3-S. I was close to getting an SL2-S last year when they were on sale. In the end, the price but also the weight and size had me hesitate and instead went with the Zf. I do, however, still have an eye on the SL line as handling, design, and EVF are rather superb.

Jan 15, 2024 at 06:44 PM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

mfoto wrote:
Another vote for a slightly smaller SL3 and eventually SL3-S.

Assuming that there will still be an SL3-S... Leica could do the same thing as they did with the M11, i.e. 60, 36 and 18MP files.

Jan 15, 2024 at 06:53 PM
Oldwino
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

SlowDriver wrote:
It might be hard to make inroads into the professional market if your service turnaround time is 2 months...

You are being charitable here. 2 months is blazingly fast for Leica.

Jan 15, 2024 at 06:59 PM
AndereObjektiv
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Fred Miranda wrote:
If it does feature content credentials, and you don't like it, can you just disable it?

I suppose so, but, given the track record ( no pun intended ) of auto and cell phone manufacturers, I'm not really inclined to believe any hardware manufacturer when it comes to disabling tracking features, even if they are touted as content creator friendly. I will likely get an M-11 for this reason. The SL3 is certainly in consideration though, along with the upcoming Nikon 61mp, as nothing really is in the league of the Nikkor 400m f/2.8, even all these years later. The X2D 100c is certainly a competitor to the SL3 and M-11 and the rest of the 61mp FF gang, same sensor pixel size, same angular spatial resolution, 16 bit Natural Color palate, but no 400mm f/2.8 It's horses for courses, and best sensors for best lenses.

It's great to see the rapid progress with sensors that has happened in the past 5 years. 33x44 re-invigorated and 24x36 is reaching image quality and dynamic range that are quite amazing. The variety of offerings is abundant and quite competitive.

Jan 15, 2024 at 07:20 PM
Stephen G
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

The SL2 balances nicely with some of the Sigma I-series primes.. but then, why pay Leica body money to put Sigma primes on it?

Jan 15, 2024 at 09:10 PM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Stephen G wrote:
The SL2 balances nicely with some of the Sigma I-series primes.. but then, why pay Leica body money to put Sigma primes on it?

Well Stephen why not use Sigma I-series primes? The SL2 is a L mount body and Sigma and Panasonic make some fine L mount lenses. Many Leica owners put Voigtlander primes on their expensive M bodies. Surely you don't object to that practice do you?

Jan 15, 2024 at 09:59 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Stephen G wrote:

Because the I Series primes are like having M lenses with autofocus? Makes more sense to me to use them on an SL2 than something like an A9 III.

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:15 PM
fjablo
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

With Phase Detection the SL3 could offer manual focus assist tools like the one in the Nikon Zf (box turns green when in focus, incl. eye detection) or Canon‘s focus guide (see here from around 5:35 https://youtu.be/KjIdxf-rIwA?si=D0TBZ5I659Y86V0c ). They could even digitally replicate the rangefinder patch.

I think a feature like that would make a ton of sense for them as I suspect many of their customers are using M lenses on the SL cameras.

Jan 16, 2024 at 12:37 AM
2613pch

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

Its not about the features or the size and price those are all things you can get use to after a few weeks with whatever. It's all about the IQ and if the malleability OF THE FILES, the look of the files that suit your requirements for either daily use or specific jobs.
I shoot a much larger and heavier camera H6D 100c which is a drag but the files are worth all the difficulties especially for portraits and skin tones nothing comes close.
I find my SL2s give me great portraits even with my cheap lenses and manual focus its the way all cameras should work with a manual lens. I have the sumimcron f2 35mm Leica lens as the only Leica lens so far and I like it, but don't love it to me its a 8 out of 10 strange distortion when camera is slightly pointed upwards that takes some PS work to iron out completely.
I love the files out of the Leica for my portrait work just amazing. the camera is so easy to set up and make my job quicker. those certain lighting situation where the Leica files just have that something look reminding me of the old days with my M's.

My Sony A1 is my go to camera for AF for anything that's fast! I much prefer shooting M mount lenses on the SL2s and I am thinking of buying the newer versions of both the SL3 and SL3s (if released).

Gave up on all my Fuji system had 3 bodies oh ya 4 to be exact and many lenses just couldn't live with the quirks of the system. Low light hit rate was terrible, Low light images on the other hand for pre focused shots was not bad. shot Fuji from the top of a small boat in Greenland with the 8-16mm lens wow some great colors beat my Sony hands down. BUT the Sony with the other Icebergs and longer focal lengths killed the fuji images.

Desperately wanted to get X2d100c but its not ready for prime time being its not a real feature packed mirrorless camera with over exposure and other viewfinder data. And I don't need another system for stills (landscape)

IF LEICA WOULD FINALLY COME TO THIER SENSES AND RELEASE M-EVF I'M DOWN (I SOLD MY M BODIES BECAUSE OF THE LOW AMOUNT OF KEEPERS NOT LEICAS FAULT JUST ME AND MY EYES) when I made gritty grainy out of focus B&W images the M's were great at that kind of work!

Jan 16, 2024 at 01:48 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Leica SL3 is set to be announced on March 21-22

RustyRus wrote:
Why is it a professional line? Because of the price tag?

No, the ability to get repaired/serviced in a timely manner. So nothing that Leica makes is professional level equipment.

"Mallory, I have a last minute assignment in Botswana. Get my Leicas serviced before I go."

"Uhh, is your assignment this year Boss?"

Jan 16, 2024 at 03:54 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.