New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

Juha Kannisto wrote:
Good news for Lightroom users! I wonder if Adobe Lightroom is also now supporting lens corrections based on correction profiles from EXIF (like C1 Pro's Manufacturer Profile option) when there is no dedicated profile available. Personally I like that concept as then there is no need to wait for the support for new lenses.

On Adobe's lens support page (last updated on 1/28) there seem to be no Voigtlander X-mount lenses in the list at all:
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/supported-lenses.html

They also offer a profile for the Voigtlander 27/2 Ultron. It's interesting because Adobe included the profile for the 18/2.8 Color-Skopar, even though the lens just became available a couple of days ago. It makes it easier to see the slight correction for barrel distortion.

Feb 13, 2024 at 09:03 AM
FrozenInTime

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

Juha Kannisto wrote:
I don't really shoot at preset focus distances except at hard infinity, and as Fred noted it would be hard to set the desired distance to something like 3m or 5m looking at the distance markings on the lens alone since there are no markings between 2m and infinity, but looking at the digital distance scale shown on EVF or screen it's possible to set distance to 3m, 5m etc. quite easily and then you can check where those are in relation to the physical markings on the lens.

I've found the hard infinity to be the best focus position
...Show more

Thanks Juha and Fred,
It does sound like the lens designers prioritised being able to photograph that restaurant plate over street snapshots.
At least the infinity point is solid and using the viewfinder to assist in establishing the equivalent of a single shot back button focus is a workaround for intermediate distances.
Still, I think I will still hold back on the 18mm lens decision until after the X100VI launch next week.

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:50 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

FrozenInTime wrote:
Thanks Juha and Fred,
It does sound like the lens designers prioritised being able to photograph that restaurant plate over street snapshots.
At least the infinity point is solid and using the viewfinder to assist in establishing the equivalent of a single shot back button focus is a workaround for intermediate distances.
Still, I think I will still hold back on the 18mm lens decision until after the X100VI launch next week.

If you prefer focusing by feel with the tab, it might be cumbersome. However, if you use hyperfocal distance (zone focusing) with the lens distance markings, you can still stop down the lens and capture in focus street photography as you would with a M lens. It helps that the lens has a true mechanical helicoid instead of relying on electronic focus-by-wire.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:44 AM
Nick Dakota
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

These samples are looking juicy! Between the Fuji colors and Voigtlander rendering, there is not much more to ask for. I love the X-E4 with the 27/2...this is a perfect companion to that. I had always hoped Leica would make a CL type M mount with an EVF. Fuji and Voigtlander are knocking on that door. The X-E4 and X-Pro3 EVFs are fine for me, I have the 23/27/35/50 Voigtlanders and hit focus a lot better than I thought I would. In most situations I am still much more accurate with the M rangefinder focusing but I find myself using the X-E4 more and more and getting better at focusing with an EVF. If they release an X-E5 and/or X-Pro4 with an improved EVF, larger sensor and IBIS, it could be a dream kit. I have used all of these lenses on my X-T5 too and they handle the new larger sensor without issue.

Feb 13, 2024 at 04:31 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

Nick Dakota wrote:
These samples are looking juicy! Between the Fuji colors and Voigtlander rendering, there is not much more to ask for. I love the X-E4 with the 27/2...this is a perfect companion to that. I had always hoped Leica would make a CL type M mount with an EVF. Fuji and Voigtlander are knocking on that door. The X-E4 and X-Pro3 EVFs are fine for me, I have the 23/27/35/50 Voigtlanders and hit focus a lot better than I thought I would. In most situations I am still much more accurate with the M rangefinder focusing but I find myself
...Show more

Agree, perfect set for the X-E4:

Feb 13, 2024 at 06:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

Sunstar at f/5.6:

X-E4    VOIGTLANDER COLOR-SKOPAR 18mm F2.8 lens    18mm    f/5.6    1/640s    160 ISO    -2.3 EV  

Feb 13, 2024 at 09:04 PM
creezalird

p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

Fred Miranda wrote:
Agree, perfect set for the X-E4:

That is a nice combo that you have, which I am planning to get them too.
Any reason for getting the black ones instead of silver to match the body?
Or the silver will not get into nice "patina"?

Feb 14, 2024 at 04:17 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

I would love to see a shootout between this 18 and the 18/2 fuji

Feb 14, 2024 at 05:51 AM
Gabe13
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

Juha Kannisto wrote:
It's a good idea to buy it in Japan during your trip and you should get 10% tax off if you bring your passport to the shop. Best to check the latest procedures for Tax Free shopping in advance though, there might have been some changes to the system recently.

In early April I think cherry blossoms may be already past their peak in Tokyo (looks like peak date is 3/29 based on latest forecast), but in northern parts they will be peaking in April: https://livejapan.com/en/article-a0001033/
Recently the forecast moved the starting / peaking dates forward as it's been cold in
...Show more

Thanks for those infos! -10% will be a bonus ...yeah we booked our dates a while back so although were locked in to our arrival and departure we do have some wiggle room once we're there and depending on how things look, a day trip via the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Sendai would not be a problem.

BTW thanks for including some landscapes in that second set you posted...definitely happy with all I've seen so far!

@fred talk about a sweet travel gear set...that almost makes me consider a rangerfinder style setup

Feb 14, 2024 at 09:20 AM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.