New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

Juha Kannisto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

New announcement from Cosina today for February 2024 release:

COLOR-SKOPAR 18mm F2.8 Aspherical for Fujifilm X-mount

This is clearly designed to be paired with their 27/2 Ultron for X-mount as they look very similar in design/style.
This seems to be the ~28mm equivalent lens for X-mount we have been asking/hoping for
I was thinking/hoping it would be F2 but it seems they needed to make it F2.8 to keep the size similar to 27/2.

English product page:
https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/en/x-mount/color-skopar-18mm-f2-8-aspherical/

Japanese product page:
https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/x-mount/color-skopar-18mm-f2-8-aspherical/

YouTube product introduction video:

Official Japan price is 80K yen (excluding tax).
Map Camera has them listed for pre-order at 70920 JPY (including tax):
https://www.mapcamera.com/search?keyword=Voigtlander%2018mm%20f2.8&igngkeyword=1

My guess is that the release date could be 22nd of February (or earlier) since CP+ will kick off from 22nd. Cosina has in the past released a new lens on the same date that CP+ starts a couple of times, and then they could bring it to CP+ as an already released lens that could be demoed more freely than the prototypes of yet unreleased lenses.

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:19 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

Juha Kannisto wrote:

This is clearly designed to be paired with their 27/2 Ultron for X-mount as they look very similar in design/style.
This seems to be the ~28mm equivalent lens for X-mount we have been asking/hoping for
I was thinking/hoping it would be F2 but it seems they needed to make it F2.8 to keep the size similar to 27/2.

English product page:
https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/en/x-mount/color-skopar-18mm-f2-8-aspherical/

Japanese product page:
https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/x-mount/color-skopar-18mm-f2-8-aspherical/

Official Japan price is 80K yen (excluding tax).
Map Camera has them listed for pre-order at 70920 JPY (including tax):
https://www.mapcamera.com/search?keyword=Voigtlander%2018mm%20f2.8&igngkeyword=1

My guess is that the release date
...Show more

Thanks for sharing, Juha.

I, too, was anticipating a Voigtlander 18mm f/2 X-mount. However, it appears they aim to provide a lens with a compact size (pancake) and weight similar to their CV 27mm f/2 X-mount. They've achieved this, with both lenses having identical dimensions. In terms of rendering, it's comparable to using a 28mm f/4 lens on a full-frame camera. This might not be appealing to everyone, but it's good to see the production of this lens.

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:39 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks for sharing, Juha.

I, too, was anticipating a Voigtlander 18mm f/2 X-mount. However, it appears they aim to provide a lens with a compact size (pancake) and weight similar to their CV 27mm f/2 X-mount. They've achieved this, with both lenses having identical dimensions. In terms of rendering, it's comparable to using a 28mm f/4 lens on a full-frame camera. This might not be appealing to everyone, but it's good to see the production of this lens.

Yes. I also think the slower aperture will be a bit of a limiting factor but I still want to get this lens to pair it with my X-mount 27/2 and I've also pre-ordered the 28/1.5 to be used on my Sony E cameras... I'm wondering if Cosina will also pre-announce some version of 28mm FF mirrorless lens at CP+ timing. It wouldn't be a big surprise given all the other 28mm lens releases from them in recent times and I think they could release something like that for all of their currently supported FF mirrorless mounts (Sony, Nikon, Canon).

Edited on Jan 15, 2024 at 01:19 AM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:47 AM
Nick Dakota
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

Having a 28mm & 40mm pancake lens setup for the X-E4 is awesome. Makes for a great small street and travel kit. I'm assuming this 18mm will have an accurate infinity hard stop just like the 27mm. Would have loved this at f/2 though.

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:51 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

Nick Dakota wrote:
Having a 28mm & 40mm pancake lens setup for the X-E4 is awesome. Makes for a great small street and travel kit. I'm assuming this 18mm will have an accurate infinity hard stop just like the 27mm. Would have loved this at f/2 though.

Yes, I think they must be aware of the infinity stop situation and strive to make the infinity hard stop accurate for this one just like the 27/2, to make them a proper pair... Would be surprising if they didn't but I suppose we have to wait and see until the lens is available to get a confirmation.

I would have also loved to have this as an F2 lens but I will get one in any case.

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:58 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

One thing I noticed about the listed features of this lens.

Cosina has always listed "Parallax compensating - Possible (X-Pro3)" for their previous X-mount lenses (also including 27/2) in their feature tables on the lens product pages, but they no longer mention this point for this lens. I wonder if they've dropped support for this feature with the new lens or whether it is just an accidental omission in the feature list.

I don't have an X-Pro3 so for me it makes no difference but I thought it was interesting.

Jan 15, 2024 at 04:23 AM
leolab
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

I was hoping for an 18 from Voigtlander, but not this one.
With the 18mm f2 pancake available (with AF), im not sure i see the utility in this lens given the speed, but I guess we will see based on IQ…

I was hoping for a fast 18mm in the vein of their 35 and 23mm noktons…

Jan 15, 2024 at 06:39 AM
ggweci
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

I guess we all knew this was coming sometime soon, and happy to see it. But, I too was hoping for this lens to be an F2. Nonetheless, it will be a great pair with the 27mm for all users.

Ivan Loh posted about it with some initial product shots and images. Not a detailed review, but nice to see it on Fuji RF bodies and some of the output.

https://fujifanboys.com/blog/wonderful-18mm-by-voigtlander/

Now, if the X-Pro4 launches soon, I will seriously looking at getting it, with both the 18 & 27. Really hope Fuji makes it high end and includes the MF features that the Nikon Zf has. That would be a dream…

Jan 15, 2024 at 07:48 AM
mabra

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

This is great news, looking forward to get my hands on this lens. I love my VM 27mm and think this will be a great addition to the lineup. And for me F2.8 ist fine, I think it is to keep the small form factor. And this is what this lenses are all about. Combine it with a X-E4 or X-Pro 3 and you have a really smal but very capable street shooter.

Edited on Jan 15, 2024 at 12:49 PM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2024 at 09:06 AM
twelveish
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

Oof. So close. Would be over the moon if this were f2 or faster. Now I'm half tempted to just keep the xf 18/2 in the bag/small kit with my Noktons instead, having just reacquired it.

Will be interesting to see more of its rendering and character, in any case.

Jan 15, 2024 at 09:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

ggweci wrote:
I guess we all knew this was coming sometime soon, and happy to see it. But, I too was hoping for this lens to be an F2. Nonetheless, it will be a great pair with the 27mm for all users.

Ivan Loh posted about it with some initial product shots and images. Not a detailed review, but nice to see it on Fuji RF bodies and some of the output.

Now, if the X-Pro4 launches soon, I will seriously looking at getting it, with both the 18 & 27. Really hope Fuji makes it high end and includes the MF
...Show more

Great samples on this page! I noticed that the lens's silver finish is lighter than the silver on the X-E4.

Jan 15, 2024 at 09:42 AM
Gabe13
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

Juha Kannisto wrote:

I definitely take this as a good sign of CV's continued commitment for X. I'm also a bit surprised its not f2 but considering the design emphasis on making this a nice small pancake lens to fit with the 27/2 ultron, I think its an OK compromise to have to make. This should be equivalent to a little over f4 on FF so I am curious to see how it will render its bokeh wide open. At least it should be tack sharp and have that hard stop infinity we like on the 27mm.

FWIW I had the excellent small Voigtlander Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL II pancake on my previous FF system and although it was a wider equivalent and thus had different use cases I still liked that lens a lot especially being such a small pancake.

Anyways, I eagerly await to see some examples so I can decide

Jan 15, 2024 at 01:02 PM
Gabe13
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

ggweci wrote:

Now, if the X-Pro4 launches soon, I will seriously looking at getting it, with both the 18 & 27. Really hope Fuji makes it high end and includes the MF
...Show more

Just saw your link...so far I like what I see there. Very very nice rendering as would be anticipated!

Jan 15, 2024 at 01:23 PM
raizans

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

The X-Pro4 better have 18mm framelines!

Jan 15, 2024 at 01:31 PM
gyoung143
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

Juha Kannisto wrote:
One thing I noticed about the listed features of this lens.

Cosina has always listed "Parallax compensating - Possible (X-Pro3)" for their previous X-mount lenses (also including 27/2) in their feature tables on the lens product pages, but they no longer mention this point for this lens. I wonder if they've dropped support for this feature with the new lens or whether it is just an accidental omission in the feature list.

I don't have an X-Pro3 so for me it makes no difference but I thought it was interesting.

I'm pretty sure the Xpro3 doesn't have an 18mm frame in the OVF, one of the compromises made to make the single mag finder.
Xpro2 does, and I assume the original Xpro too.

Gerry

Jan 15, 2024 at 01:50 PM
mfoto
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

This is a great addition. The sample images look nice. Looking forward to trying on my X-Pro2.

Jan 15, 2024 at 05:46 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

gyoung143 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Xpro3 doesn't have an 18mm frame in the OVF, one of the compromises made to make the single mag finder.
Xpro2 does, and I assume the original Xpro too.

Gerry

That's what I was thinking when I didn't see the X-pro3 mentioned for this lens. Excited to give it a try on my X-E4!

Jan 15, 2024 at 09:18 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

I did pre-order this lens yesterday (Black version) from Map Camera. Looking forward to it!

Still have to wait for the actual release date though which is unknown at this point.

Jan 15, 2024 at 09:30 PM
ggweci
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

Nick Dakota wrote:

In one of the comments on Ivan Loh YT video, he confirms that it does have a hard stop at infinity. Good news.

Jan 16, 2024 at 05:43 AM
Nick Dakota
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Cosina Voigtländer Color-Skopar 18mm f2.8 for Fuji X for February release

Thank you for that confirmation! That's awesome news

ggweci wrote:
In one of the comments on Ivan Loh YT video, he confirms that it does have a hard stop at infinity. Good news.

Jan 16, 2024 at 08:53 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.