Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
6
       end
  

Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

  
 
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?



kakomu wrote:
Iíve been hemming and hawing on this. Iíd really like to get the R8,


I guess too late but noticed that refurbished R8s are available for $999 from the Canon Store...



Jan 25, 2024 at 11:53 AM
chicago8c
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?


I just spent ~2 weeks in South Asia - Jaipur, Delhi, Kathmandu - mostly for work. Brought the R8, RF 24-105L, and RF 35/1.8. I ended up basically not using the 35 (mainly because I was largely shooting outdoors). There were some times in Kathmandu at huge temples/stupas where I wish I had brought my RF 16/2.8 or purchased the 14-35L, but for the most part I was happy with the 24-105 - great flexibility. The setup could go in my backpack in a Mirrorless Mover 20 bag so very mobile. Some friends were in the region to do birding and brought 100-500 or 100-400 lenses on an R7, so obviously depends on what you're up to.

A few examples:
January152024V2Exports-5 by chicago8c, on Flickr

January152024V2Exports-28 by chicago8c, on Flickr

January242024Exports-2 by chicago8c, on Flickr

January232024Exports-17 by chicago8c, on Flickr

January232024Exports-34 by chicago8c, on Flickr

January252024Exports-2 by chicago8c, on Flickr

January252024Exports-38 by chicago8c, on Flickr

January252024Exports-9 by chicago8c, on Flickr



Jan 26, 2024 at 09:02 AM
racoll
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?


chicago8c wrote:
I just spent ~2 weeks in South Asia - Jaipur, Delhi, Kathmandu - mostly for work. Brought the R8, RF 24-105L, and RF 35/1.8. I ended up basically not using the 35 (mainly because I was largely shooting outdoors). There were some times in Kathmandu at huge temples/stupas where I wish I had brought my RF 16/2.8 or purchased the 14-35L, but for the most part I was happy with the 24-105 - great flexibility. The setup could go in my backpack in a Mirrorless Mover 20 bag so very mobile. Some friends were in the region to do birding
...Show more

What a wonderful set of photos!
Andy



Jan 26, 2024 at 10:10 PM
alundeb
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?


My wife had a 6D with 24-105, 70-300 and 50 1.8. I upgraded for her birthday (spouse management making own investments easier) with the R8 and RF 24-240. She is loving it and doesn't want to use anything else.


Jan 27, 2024 at 12:25 PM
Mike_5D
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?



alundeb wrote:
My wife had a 6D with 24-105, 70-300 and 50 1.8. I upgraded for her birthday (spouse management making own investments easier) with the R8 and RF 24-240. She is loving it and doesn't want to use anything else.

It's amazing how far you can get with that combo, even in lighting many wouldn't expect. The 24-240 is my preferred family lens since I can capture things quickly over a wide focal range. It's good for video too.



Jan 27, 2024 at 03:14 PM
kakomu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?


Yea, They were ~$1500 last I looked, but it's fine. I got the RP and the 24-105 STM for only a little more. I'm having a blast with a tiny, light camera and have the 28mm pancake on the way. I really liked the old 5D iii, but that thing was an F'n beast.

Heck, with the focus peaking feature, I'm thinking of picking some old F-mount primes again. I'd really love to get a Nikon 50mm f/1.2 Ai-s again and actually be able to nail the focus this time.



Jan 29, 2024 at 07:27 PM
jpeter
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?


Yesterday I tried a new combo to take backcountry skiing. I managed to fit a RF100-400 while attached to the camera and an m-mount Voigt 35. R5 camera. I got a better eyepiece, but it makes the rig longer. had to put camera/long lens in at an angle but it worked.
The majority of past seasons I would take a Leica 35-70R and supplement with canon 16-35f4.
The Voigt 35 f1.7 Ultron with the R5 is a pretty awesome small package.
JP



Jan 30, 2024 at 07:49 AM
Pixelpuffin
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?


I guess minimalist kit for me would be a new iPhone 15 pro max.
Pretty certain unless sports or 1:1 macro I could quite easily get by.



Feb 01, 2024 at 03:00 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?


My 'minimalist kit' is pretty much only used for travel. In that case, it's R5, 24-105/4, 70-200, plus a 35/1.4 if there is an opportunity for night images. And tripod. Always.


Feb 11, 2024 at 10:58 PM
Jeff Nolten
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?


Jeff wrote:
My 'minimalist kit' is pretty much only used for travel. In that case, it's R5, 24-105/4, 70-200, plus a 35/1.4 if there is an opportunity for night images. And tripod. Always.


I'm just back from a whale watching cruise in Mexico so I'll update my much earlier post. For air travel my base is R5 + 24-105 L. The telephoto will be either the 100-400 f8 or 70-200 f4 (which weigh the same) or the 100-500 for dedicated wildlife. On this trip I had the 100-500 and two primes the 16 f2.8 and 35 f1.4 plus my G1X3. I found I could still shlep the weight through airports but wouldn't want to hike very far. I actually used the 35 quite a bit for people shots in the ship's lounge and for some night scapes, it's very sharp. It also did a nice hand held focus stack of the Mexican craft beer label I preferred. So I guess it's joining my minimalist kit.

I just upgraded my 10s iPhone for the 15 pro. We'll see if it can replace my G1X3 for travel, but I doubt it.



Feb 12, 2024 at 11:24 AM
kakomu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?


Man, the RP + RF 28mm f/2.8 is so much fun to shoot. Itís tiny and easy to compose for family stuff. It fits in my daily carry sling bag easily. I can take it and my journal wherever we go and take photos easily.

I must say Iím a bit disappointed in the 24-105 f4-7.1. The RPís noise is pretty decent at high ISOs, but getting good portraits at 105mm in indoor light is trying. I am considering the f/4L. My EF 24-105 f/4L on my 5D iii could get some really good lower light shots.



Feb 12, 2024 at 11:01 PM
fotografur
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?


kakomu wrote:
The RPís noise is pretty decent at high ISOs, but getting good portraits at 105mm in indoor light is trying. I am considering the f/4L. My EF 24-105 f/4L on my 5D iii could get some really good lower light shots.


Just pick up the RF50mm f1.8



Feb 13, 2024 at 08:53 AM
Jeff Nolten
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?


kakomu wrote:
I must say Iím a bit disappointed in the 24-105 f4-7.1


I tried a copy on my R5 for lighter weight and closer focusing but was also disappointed compared to the f4 L. The RF 24-105 L will remain my mainstay lens on the R system. It is a tad sharper than my faithful v1 24-105 (ca 2006) and only weighs an ounce more.



Feb 13, 2024 at 10:34 AM
kakomu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?




fotografur wrote:
Just pick up the RF50mm f1.8


I already have it. Problem is the 50mm f/1.8 doesnít go to 105mm.



Feb 13, 2024 at 11:44 AM
Kranky
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?


Canon R8, RF 50mm 1.8, RF 28mm 2.8, Konica M-Hexanon 90mmm 2.8 with Fotasy adapter.


Feb 18, 2024 at 09:55 PM
1       2       3              5      
6
       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
6
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.