New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

kakomu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

If you had to assemble a minimalist kit, what would you choose? In fact, Iíd like to know what everyone considers ďminimalistĒ.

Iíve been trying to get to a state where I only have gear I use. For me, Iím thinking Iíd have only 3 lenses, my normal zoom, my telephoto zoom and my 28mm or 35mm prime. I have a couple strobes and remote triggers that Iíd keep when I really want good light. I doubt Iíd need much more than that to be content.

Jan 08, 2024 at 08:44 PM
macwest
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

R3 plus rf 15-35 70-200 100-500 godox ad200 x2 godox v1 godox trigger . all in one bag not backback.

Jan 08, 2024 at 09:00 PM
scottsoutter
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

Itís minimal but not light unfortunately.

5d4 + Milvus 50mm 1.4

Loving that lens.

Jan 08, 2024 at 09:07 PM
scottsoutter
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

Iíve veered a bit from the question perhaps, but aside from some birding with my 100-400 thatís about all Iíve been using for the past three months.

Jan 08, 2024 at 09:10 PM
TomSchriefer
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

90D, 18-135USM, 580EX2.

Jan 08, 2024 at 09:20 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

A minimalist kit for travel for me would be one camera, one lens, travel tripod and small Speedlite. Around town, probably just camera and one lens.

Jan 08, 2024 at 09:51 PM
marsguy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

I wouldn't limit myself to JUST this setup, but my R5 + 24-105/4 is about as versatile and minimalist as it gets. If I'm able to bring another lens, the 14-35L gets the pick. I'd like to add a native RF 35/1.4L to my relatively minimalist loadouts, but the rumor is it'll be f/1.2 and larger than the EF Mk2, so that's not something that I'll just "slip into the bag" and "not notice it's there", which is how my Fuji 35/1.4 is (smaller than the RF 35/1.8).

I've found that considering my cameras and lenses as just tools, and not toys, sucks some of the fun out of it. The 24-105/4 and 14-35 are just good enough that it's pretty difficult to justify any other glass for most of what I shoot. I might end up picking up the 35/1.2L at some point long after it launches to get it at a discount, but my heart wants the 85/1.2 because I love the FOV; I just don't shoot professional portraits or events so it's pretty difficult to justify a prime that tight despite my love for the FOV.

Jan 08, 2024 at 10:15 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

R5, 24-240, RF16.

More radical: RX100.

Jan 08, 2024 at 10:18 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

For personal work, one camera with either a 50 prime, or sometimes a 3-lens prime kit. I have at times favored the 24/35/85 combo, and at other times the 28/50/100. I usually just carry the camera on a strap with a small lens change shoulder bag.

My minimal kit for general PJ and event work, two bodies (currently R6 Mark IIs) with two lenses: 28-70 (or 24-70) and 70-200, some flash gear (varies from a pair of 270EX IIs for fill to a full remote kit with triggers, depending). For carry I use a dual Black Rapid harness and either Domke or Kinesis bags. If needed I will sometimes bring a wide zoom (currently 14-35). For horse shows, I change out the 70-200 for the 100-500 (previously 100-400).

I no longer really do field sports, but I would have had a long lens in the day, a 300 + TC or 400 with monopod. I also own a 500 and Think Tank roller for wildlife trips, but that is merely a hobby.

For non-photo oriented travel with family, I have in the past brought an APS-C body and a few lenses, small and light being better (I used an SL1 for a number of years). Given how svelte the R6 II is compared to my previous 1- and 5-series DSLRs, I am considering going full frame on my next trip.

Edit: forgot to mention my Leica tabletop tripod with Manfroto mini ballhead, which I carry on all trips. I used to have the long discontinued Minolta CLE model which I dearly loved, but it was stolen in India. The Leica is an adequate (but chaste) substitute.

Edit 2: I guess I expanded my answer a bit beyond truly "minimalist" by describing my normal working kits. To me, however, being able to cover all my work with just two bodies and two lenses (with no lens changes) is pretty darn minimal compared to what I took on assignment earlier in my photo career. So this is how I think of it, haha.

Edited on Jan 08, 2024 at 11:40 PM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2024 at 10:37 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

To me, minimalist could mean compact, or it could also mean consolidating to fewer items. But ideally not compromising image quality and overall performance.

After a long time working mostly with primes in the standard focal length range, in part because I felt no love for any of the past 24-xx/xxx zoom options, I fell hard for the massive 28-70/2. It's by no means compact, but its images look like what I liked about using fast primes. It replaces those primes without feeling like image quality has been sacrificed for the convenience of a zoom. For wandering around, I'll pair it with the RF 70-200/4. I'd love to see Canon release a 20/2.8 in the spirit and size of the 16/2.8. That, for me, would be a good 'minimalist' kit. (The 16 is alright but wider than I prefer.)

If compact is the requirement, then I feel I'm still waiting for the lenses I want from Canon. Such as the already mentioned hypothetical 20/2.8. The pancake 28/2.8 already exists but I'd like to see higher quality (build, focus speed, wide open quality), yet compact moderate speed (f/2 or f/2.8) options at 50 and 85.

For the past ~10 years my minimalist kit has been Leica M. My 'out and about' kit is the camera with a 21/3.4, 28/1.4, 50/1.4 and 90/4. Compared to DSLR and even mirrorless equivalents, those lenses are all very small, even the 28/1.4, which is slightly on the large side for a rangefinder lens. I'll sometimes throw in a very compact 35/2 or higher performance, modern, but slightly larger 35/1.7. And if needed, swap out the 90/4 for a 90/2. But the basic configuration covers the typical range I 'see' with this system. The slower 21 and 90 keep things as small as possible (the 90 collapses for storage) and the fast 28 and 50 provide low light and/or shallow DoF versatility in the focal lengths that most benefit from it, for my needs.

I could adapt those lenses to Canon R, but there are some image quality tradeoffs due to the lenses being non-optimized for Canon's sensor stack, resulting in undesirable peripheral image smearing with some of the wider lenses and edge color shifts with my R6 and R6II.

On the body side, I'd like to see Canon release something in form similar to the Sony a7C series, dropping the DSLR shape in favor of a basic rectangle with the viewfinder at the top left (viewed from behind).

That's my non-minimalist answer.

Jan 08, 2024 at 10:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

marsguy wrote:
I wouldn't limit myself to JUST this setup, but my R5 + 24-105/4 is about as versatile and minimalist as it gets. If I'm able to bring another lens, the 14-35L gets the pick.

I probably would have thought the same as you ~10 years ago, but nowadays the ultrawide look doesnít appeal to me anymore. Nowadays, I find myself grabbing my 70-300L lens more frequently than my ultrawide zoom.

Jan 08, 2024 at 10:54 PM
kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

rscheffler wrote:
To me, minimalist could mean compact, or it could also mean consolidating to fewer items. But ideally not compromising image quality and overall performance.

Iíd say my definition is trending toward the consolidation to as few lenses as possible. Selling lenses so that i own only a few lenses would, ideally, improve creativity by constraining the decision making process for selecting lenses to use.

Gear is tools. Not thinking about my tools would, hopefully, help me concentrate on the subject.

Jan 08, 2024 at 10:59 PM
Pixelpuffin
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

I actually cannot remember the last time I went out carrying more than 1 body and one lens. Sometimes I might take a 2nd lens but that would be pretty extreme.
Why?? Because I often anticipate what Iím going out for, what Iím likely to be shooting. Also I tend to accept that once Iíve left the safety of home gear is at a constant risk, damage, stolen etc etc, so I guess Iím trying to prevent such situations.

In my youth I didnít have anywhere near as much kit as I have now. Plus bodies and lenses were much smallerÖthink Olympus OM system and small zuikos, or the Pentax system with SMC lensesÖ.delightful.

Not anymore, unless youíve gone MFT.

Over Christmas I went into the woods with just a 6d and the old 35-350L plus the lumix LX100. I never once used canon kit, found it a drag tbh. If Iím shooting sons football itís the Gripped 5diii/100-400Lii + 40stm + 270exii for team shotsÖÖ and even then I often leave the forty and flash behind.

Horses for courses I guess.

Edited on Jan 09, 2024 at 02:53 AM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2024 at 11:23 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

rscheffler wrote:
I'd love to see Canon release a 20/2.8 in the spirit and size of the 16/2.8. That, for me, would be a good 'minimalist' kit. (The 16 is alright but wider than I prefer.)

OMG, yes. I've been waiting for an updated, modern 20mm for years that is not the size of a boat anchor, like the Sigma Art. (I don't need f/1.4 at this focal length.) To me, 16 is too wide and 24 is okay but a bit too long. 20mm is a sweet spot, and I have loved it since I shot the classic FD version like 100 years ago. I'm not sure why Canon seems to have abandoned this focal length, but apparently more people want 24mm lenses these days.

Jan 08, 2024 at 11:27 PM
Uarctos
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

The only lenses I have are the original 35mm f1.4 L, 16-35mm f4 L and a 600mm f4 III. Planning to sell the 16-35mm.

Jan 09, 2024 at 12:07 AM
IlyaSnopchenko
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

Z9 or 1D mark 4
16-35/4L IS
100-400/4.5-5.6L IS or 70-200/2.8L IS
but sometimes I go out with just Z9 + 16-50 pancake zoom (fits in a small bag), or even - the ultimate in crazy pairings - Z9 + Canon 24-85/3.5-4.5 lens. With IBIS, it's lack of IS doesn't matter anymore and it's very sharp.

Jan 09, 2024 at 02:07 AM
StephenS_CP
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

Canon EOS M5 + 18-150 kit lens. Second lens is one of EF-M 22mm f2 or EF 28mm f1.8. I need to replace my lost Gorillapod style tripod for long exposure opportunities.

It is the kit I try to keep in the car. I carry it on longer day hikes, outings where photography isn't the primary reason for the outing or social settings. But I want to always have full creative control available if the opportunity arises. I find it suitable for all but BIF

Jan 09, 2024 at 02:45 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

What I consider "minimalist" is to have as little variation as possible. This would be driven by the philosophy "less is more",and not by practical considerations like cost, size and weight of the kit. A medium format camera with just a macro lens would be minimalist in my view.

I am not at a stage where I could reduce my gear to one kit with few items, but in a given situation I prefer to bring just one camera and one lens that is optimized for a specific use case.

Examples are M6II with 11-20mm, or R7 with RF 100-400 mm

Jan 09, 2024 at 04:03 AM
matejphoto
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

New minimalist/travel kit for 2024 (Just got it few weeks before Christmas):
Canon R10 + RF-s 18-150mm

So far I really like it, should be a great camera for skiing. All it needs is one small prime in 35-50mm (Full Frame Eq.) range. If they would port the EF-M 22mm to RF I would be very happy.

My main kit is R5 + 2.8 zoom trinity + 100-500 + 35mm RF. Fantastic camera, but too heavy/bulky to take when out with family.

Jan 09, 2024 at 04:46 AM
Rivermist
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Whatís Your Minimalist Kit?

Minimal kit going to a place where great photo opportunities are expected: R8 + 14-35 + 50 1.8 + 70-200 f:4
Smaller / simpler if it is just about having a camera with me: R8 + 24-240 (throw in 16mm and/or 50mm 1.8 if extra room)
Portrait: R6mk2 + EF 135 f:2 (optional RF 24-105L and/or Speedlites)
Airshow: R6mk2 + 24-105L + 100-500 (optional R8 body to avoid lens swapping)

The days of roaming around with a heavy bag (2 bodies, 4 zooms, 2-3 primes, flash) "just in case" are no longer realistic, being both physically too challenging and becoming ever more conspicuous as one sees fewer people with actual cameras in just about any context, as phones become the standard for most people.

Jan 09, 2024 at 05:55 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.