New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

Al Trujillo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

Appreciate suggestions:

Flying in and out of Eugene, OR, in mid-May 2024 and taking two days to get to Crescent City, CA. Trip is 9-10 days with our final evening at Crater Lake NP.

Focal lengths..especially for Redwood NP.
Favorite groves of trees?
Best beaches along coastal south Oregon?
Lighthouses?
State Park to visit?
Best house/building of interest?
Best clothing?
Is an umbrella real important?

The suggestion box is wide open…

Thanks!!

Dec 29, 2023 at 07:31 PM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

There's a saying here in OR: "Oregonians don't tan, they rust". Keep that in mind when visiting. When I drive to the Redwoods, I always take my trusty 24-105mm.

-Phil

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:59 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

So many questions!

FL: You know what and how you like to shoot better than we do. I always bring 3 zooms: 14-35, 24-105, 100-500. I assume you know that you might see Roosevelt elk in pars of Redwood N.P., as well as birds at the coast and other places.

Be sure to hit Stout Grove and Desolation Creek. Lady Bird is OK. If you can include it, try to hit the Darlingtonian grove on your way down to the park.

Shore Acres State Park in Coos Bay.

Clothing? Check the weather as your departure time approaches. Be sure to bring clothes for rain, sun, warm, cold. Layers are always good. Water proof hiking boots with good soles are nice, as are light trail/running shoes.

I never bring an umbrella—wear appropriate clothing and bring camera/lens rain gear (Op/Tech covers are good and they're inexpensive).

Don't forget sunscreen.

Dec 30, 2023 at 01:31 PM
M Gotchall

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

From Eugene, head to Hwy 101 South
- Umpqua Lighthouse - hard to get a good shot
- Shore Acres SP - the sandstone tafoni north of the parking lot
- Coquille River Lighthouse
- Bandon Beach - sunsets can be amazing there
- Cape Blanco Lighthouse
- Pistol River area south of Gold Beach
- Lots of beaches along the Samuel H Boardman Scenic area - have fun exploring
- Battery Point Lighthouse - Crescent City
- As mentioned Stout Grove in Jed Smith Redwoods SP
- Drive the Howland Hill Rd, lots of hikes in the Redwoods.
- I also like to hike in Prairie Creek Redwoods SP, south of Crescent City

I usually shoot with 16-35 on the beaches, with 24-105 in the Redwoods, sometimes with the 100-400. You will likely be too early for the rhododendron bloom, but may find lupines further south.

I wear merino wool, keeps you warm if it gets wet, and stay cool if it gets warm (the sheep are onto something). I don't wear cotton anything, Kuhl or KUIU for pants, Icebreaker or Smartwool for under layers and Darn-Tough for socks. Dress in layers, with waterproof boots or shoes and take a pack-able raincoat for you and one for the camera

Oh... and fillup in Oregon, fuel is 70-90 cents more per gallon in California

Jan 16, 2024 at 11:12 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

I’m just going to respond to parts of your question.

Mid-May is a decent time in the redwoods. Depending on how the seasonal weather evolves in spring you may well be getting some rhododendrons in the redwood forests by then.

Al Trujillo wrote:

When I photograph there I carry a full-frame camera with 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, and 100-400. I also often have a macro.

Within the redwood forest, the wider lenses in that group tend to be more useful, generally speaking, at least if your goal is to photograph the overall scene. My most-used there is probably the 24-70. The 16-35 is mostly reserved for close in near-far compositions — you know… up close to a flower with trees in the background and similar. One challenge with ultra-wide landscapes in this environment is that there is often a huge contrast between shadow and sky light… so I often try to keep the sky out of the frame… and that means longer focal lengths.

Why the 70-200 and 100-400? Several reasons. I have a personal preference for photographing small elements of the larger scene, so part of my style is to use longer lenses to isolate these things. Whether that applies to your or not, I can’t say. In addition, photographing the “all of it” in redwood forests is tricky — how to get those giant trees in the frame. One way is to work from outside the grove, sometimes from an elevated position of from a clearing and use a lot lens to photograph the full height of the trees. That’s going to require a longer lens. Finally, long focal lengths are often useful for coastal subjects in this area.

Macro? There are little things — small compositions of plants and fallen stuff, wildflowers, etc.

You have probably already thought of this, but do bring a tripod. The light within redwood forests, especially if it is cloudy or foggy, can be surprisingly dim. I often end up with quite long exposures of up to a full second. (If you haven’t photographed this subject before, be prepared to discover that the slightest movement of the air can be a serious challenge.)

Best clothing? /quote]

It can be damp, either from rain (hopefully not too much) or fog (hopefully quite a bit — the fog in redwoods is lovely!). So things like wool, Gore-Tex and equivalents, synthetic-fill vests/jackets are useful. I usually bring a hat that will be useful in rain. In May the weather there can vary quite a bit. It can be comfortable warm if you hit a string of sunny days, but it can also be gray, wet, and rather cool.

It can let you operate in wet conditions in which you might otherwise not want to risk your camera. At
...Show more

Jan 16, 2024 at 11:58 AM
Al Trujillo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

Abbott Schindl wrote:
So many questions!

FL: You know what and how you like to shoot better than we do. I always bring 3 zooms: 14-35, 24-105, 100-500. I assume you know that you might see Roosevelt elk in pars of Redwood N.P., as well as birds at the coast and other places.

Be sure to hit Stout Grove and Desolation Creek. Lady Bird is OK. If you can include it, try to hit the Darlingtonian grove on your way down to the park.

Shore Acres State Park in Coos Bay.

Clothing? Check the weather as your departure time approaches. Be sure to bring clothes for
...Show more

I do ask a lot of questions....that's just me ...but there's alway something I didn't ask that I wish I had later.

I only have one zoom lens that I want to carry on this trip - Sigma 14-24mm. My other is a 200-600mm and I'm leaving it home. I'll have a bag full of primes though - Voigtlander (all) 35mm APO + 65mm Macro APO + 110mm Macro APO. Seriously considering picking up a Sony 70-200 f/4 and maybe leaving the 110mm at home.

Darlingtonia would require a detour north of Florence and after we land in Eugene we're going to head straight to Coos Bay, check into our room and head to Shore Acres for sunset. I'll add Darlingtonia to my list for another time.

Appreciate your help here.

Jan 16, 2024 at 08:03 PM
Al Trujillo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

Thank you for taking time to share all of this with me - some good stuff here!

I chose late May as I've read in many places the Rhododendrons might be blooming. Hope they are!

Lens wise I have everything covered from 14mm up to 110mm. I know I might need more in some places and am considering buying a 70-200mm f/4 G before we leave (leave the 110mm at home?). With the 70-200mm FL I could also leave the CV 65mm APO at home but that is such a stupid sharp lens that I've promised myself to always have it with me!

We'll see, I guess...I have a lot of time to think and twist myself up about what to take with me!

gdanmitchell wrote:
I’m just going to respond to parts of your question.

Mid-May is a decent time in the redwoods. Depending on how the seasonal weather evolves in spring you may well be getting some rhododendrons in the redwood forests by then.

When I photograph there I carry a full-frame camera with 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, and 100-400. I also often have a macro.

Within the redwood forest, the wider lenses in that group tend to be more useful, generally speaking, at least if your goal is to photograph the overall scene. My most-used there is probably the 24-70. The 16-35 is mostly reserved for
...Show more

Jan 16, 2024 at 08:11 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

Al Trujillo wrote:
Darlingtonia would require a detour north of Florence and after we land in Eugene we're going to head straight to Coos Bay, check into our room and head to Shore Acres for sunset. I'll add Darlingtonia to my list for another time.

One Darlingtonia grove is just at the north end of Florence. There's another near the Jedediah Smith redwoods; it's the one I was thinking of:
https://mdvaden.com/redwood_darlingtonia_cobra_lily.shtml#:~:text=Darlingtonia%20californica%2C%20or%20Cobra%20Lily,199.

Jan 17, 2024 at 02:09 PM
Al Trujillo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

Abbott Schindl wrote:
One Darlingtonia grove is just at the north end of Florence. There's another near the Jedediah Smith redwoods; it's the one I was thinking of:
https://mdvaden.com/redwood_darlingtonia_cobra_lily.shtml#:~:text=Darlingtonia%20californica%2C%20or%20Cobra%20Lily,199.

Very cool! I'll add it to our list. Thanks!!

Jan 17, 2024 at 03:35 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

It varies year to year but snow and road closures are a consideration at Crater Lake, the rim roads and North entrance could be impacted. something to watch for planning purposes.

Jan 18, 2024 at 09:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BidinTime
• •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

Finally, questions about an area where I've lived!
- Crater Lake access may be iffy. South Rim is usually open year round but forget about circling the lake in May.

- the Rogue River National Forest has some wonderful short hikes and Natural Bridges which is along Highway 62. Seems like you may not be going that way but it's worth a detour.

- Shore Acres is known for its botanical garden. It is nice, if that's your thing. There are beaches nearby but nothing extraordinary. There is an old military bunker that you can hike to; lighting is very interesting.

- I can't think of any interesting buildings on your route.

- If you like photographing waterfalls you are in a great area at a great time. Plenty of free online resources for that subject. Some are roadside and don't require hiking. You may be going by Toketee Falls and Watson Falls, both are extremely photogenic.

- I don't know of any Albino redwoods in your area but try to find a chimera, which is really cool for closeups if that's your thing.

- Crescent City is kind of dumpy. Good for birdwatching. The tsunami walking tour is interesting but not photogenic.

- an umbrella will get in your way. I didn't even own one when I lived there.

- skip the sea lion caves, even if you're nearby. Same with Trees of Mystery. I think both are out of your range but resist the lure of the billboards.

- all trees are great.

- I think you might be close to the Dean Creek Elk Preserve. Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park is a little south of Crescent City but a great park, with Elk. FERN CANYON will be your favorite place on the trip if you go there.

Too bad you're not going to Eureka. Sequoia Park/zoo are very nice, and they have the Sky walk which is great.

Not sure why you're turning around at Crescent City. My suggestion would be to drive through it (not stop) and head south, so you can hit Prairie Creek and Eureka. If you need more details about that area just say so.

Jan 19, 2024 at 04:20 PM
Al Trujillo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

BidinTime wrote:
Finally, questions about an area where I've lived!
- Crater Lake access may be iffy. South Rim is usually open year round but forget about circling the lake in May.

Hadn't considered this before. It'll still be great to view from the South Rim.

- Shore Acres is known for its botanical garden. It is nice, if that's your thing. There are beaches nearby but nothing extraordinary. There is an old military bunker that you can hike to; lighting is very interesting.

You didn't mention the wave action at Shore Acres. We're not visiting during a King Tide but still looking forward to a
...Show more

Jan 21, 2024 at 12:07 PM
mdvaden
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

Al Trujillo wrote:
Appreciate suggestions:

Flying in and out of Eugene, OR, in mid-May 2024 and taking two days to get to Crescent City, CA. Trip is 9-10 days with our final evening at Crater Lake NP.

Favorite groves of trees?
Best beaches along coastal south Oregon?
Lighthouses?
State Park to visit?
Best house/building of interest?
Best clothing?
Is an umbrella real important?

The suggestion box is wide open…

Thanks!!

Redwood photography is what I have the most experience with.

Focal length may depend on style. I used to carry 16mm but changed a few years ago to 24mm up to 135mm because I started making composites merged for much larger files to print 16 inches up to 10 feet wide. That - after a distillery bought one image file 20K pixels x 20k pixels for a 10 ft. x 10 ft. print to display in a trade show.

For most people, I think 70mm is about maximum.

Umbrella -- absolutely. Does not get in the way like someone else suggested. Rain and fog offers the best photos and a small umbrella over the lens can help stop drops on the lens.

Favorite grove isn't so much the question as is favorite spots. Search for Stout Grove and Boy Scout Tree trail in Jedediah Smith park.

This one is off trail, taken with the RF 50mm 1.2

Canon EOS R    RF50mm F1.2 L USM lens    50mm    f/2.2    1/200s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on May 20, 2024 at 12:13 AM · View previous versions

May 19, 2024 at 11:30 PM
mdvaden
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

This scene was 12 frames at about 130mm using a 70-200mm 2.8. This is a 24K x 24K reduced to 1600 x 1600. Overcast.

Edited on May 20, 2024 at 12:13 AM · View previous versions

May 19, 2024 at 11:34 PM
mdvaden
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

Not if you go to the botanical wayside at mile marker 17 (point-five) of Hy. 199 about 10 miles east of Jedediah Smith park. There's a Darlingtonia bog there.

These were taken using an EF 135mm 2.0 L as will as the 85mm shown in the EXIF (along a ditch of Douglas Park Rd. leading to the east end of Jedediah Smith park prior to reaching Howland Hill Rd.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    85mm lens    85mm    f/1.6    1/1250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on May 20, 2024 at 12:14 AM · View previous versions

May 19, 2024 at 11:41 PM
Al Trujillo
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

Thanks for this. Our group is here (at Redwoods) this week. So far we've hiked Stout, Titan and Reed-Simpson...my favorite has been R-S. Truly magical place!! So hard to find as composition...there's just no way you can capture the scale and magnificence of these trees! I've been using my 21mm and 65mm mostly. Tomorrow we're off to visit Fern Canyon.

Al

May 19, 2024 at 11:45 PM
mdvaden
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

mitchell mentioned a tripod ... tripod is an absolute. Exposures will be like 1/20 to 1/2 second if there's overcast.

Also, if you can avoid going to the redwoods when sun in the forcast, postpone for cloudy days if possible. Otherwise shoot from about 8am to 11am and then later like 4pm to 8pm. Macro is different.

Canon EOS 5DS R    TAMRON SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 A032 lens    40mm    f/7.1    1/20s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on May 20, 2024 at 12:15 AM · View previous versions

May 19, 2024 at 11:52 PM
mdvaden
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

Al Trujillo wrote:
Thanks for this. Our group is here (at Redwoods) this week. So far we've hiked Stout, Titan and Reed-Simpson...my favorite has been R-S. Truly magical place!! So hard to find as composition...there's just no way you can capture the scale and magnificence of these trees! I've been using my 21mm and 65mm mostly. Tomorrow we're off to visit Fern Canyon.

Al

Simpson Reed is most limited for composing. Below .. is a new redwood discovery that dwarfs the titan grove trees you mentioned. My friends discovered the titan grove in 1998. One of their friends helped discover this redwood in 2014 some distance out in the forest off-trail.

Photos actually capture scale better than 10 people's sense of sights combined using high resolution images. But it takes large prints or 100% viewing of the full file to glean that benefit. We keep a 40 in. x 60 in. canvas of this redwood in our dining room. There's one other 40 x 60 copy ... it was purchased by the Hiouchi Cafe that's a minute down the road from the park's visitor center.

Canon EOS 5DS    TAMRON SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC USD F012 lens    35mm    f/4.5    1/6s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 20, 2024 at 12:01 AM
mdvaden
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

Since Simpson Reed is so limited for good compositions, I select a few trees across the creek from that loop like this one below. But the entire Walker Rd. area is sparse for composing. The better spots are pulling over along Hy. 199, Stout Grove, Boyscout Tree trail and Howland Hill Rd.

May 20, 2024 at 12:04 AM
mdvaden
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Redwoods N. Park / South Oregon Coast?

Al Trujillo wrote:
Tomorrow we're off to visit Fern Canyon.

Al

Fern Canyon may be nostalgic for some people. It's enjoyable. I was accustomed to the Columbia River Gorge trails so Fern Canyon became more of a check box for me when I checked it out. Prairie Creek park has so much superlative with redwoods like this trunk with a 40,000 lb. burl, that I tend to hike the redwood trails whenever I go there.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    Tokina AT-X 16-28 F2.8 PRO FX lens    28mm    f/3.5    1/100s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 20, 2024 at 12:12 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.