New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Octaboxes

pjheller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Octaboxes

Anybody have any comments about either SMDV or Strobepro octaboxes. Looking for one or two that have Bowens mounts, easy to open/close and prefer not to always have to put on/take off diffusion panels (one of them has inner and outer panels permanently attached). Thinking of size between 32 and 36 inches.

Other recommendations welcome (Iíve looked at Glow EZ Lock but havenít found one that fits what Iím looking for, although their prices are pretty reasonable.

Dec 20, 2023 at 02:07 AM
CharleyL
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Octaboxes

You might want to look at an Angler octagonal soft box. It opens and folds easily and also comes with a center dish so it can be used as a beauty light. It has 2 diffusers inside, but they can be left in place when folding and transporting. The one that I have is about 34" diameter (folded now). It comes in a 6" diameter side and end zipper bag with shoulder strap, so it travels easily.

Charley

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:03 PM
Mujabad123
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Octaboxes

No octabox, but last Monday I've ordered the SMDV Speedbox-Flip 30x120cm. In store I saw a smaller version SMDV octabox and looks very nicely made/of good quality. Indeed the open/close is a real benefit.
I'll just have to wait a bit (luckily there' s a SMDV distributor where I live).

Dec 21, 2023 at 02:39 PM
pjheller
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Octaboxes

Thanks for the suggestions. Another option is the Glow ParaSnap. I think SMDV and Glow are the same. Still hoping to get some feedback, especially on Strobepro as they are lot less expensive.

Dec 21, 2023 at 07:11 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Octaboxes

My experience I prefer umbrella style as I find it easier to open/close. I used to have SP Systems 37" octobox and it gave me wonderful light which I can't get with others. I did pick up Elinchrom Deep Octa to get that light. I have an old Photoflex 5' octa but it not the quick opening style. Very nicely made but hard to open/close.

Dec 21, 2023 at 11:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mujabad123
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Octaboxes

(as also said on DPR...maybe you posted there as well?);
I have my SMDV 30-120cm Flip stripbox since last week. I use it with my AD300Pro. Inner and outer diffusion panels are included (in the package; not in the stripbox itself). I attached those diffusion panels in the stripbox and I can leave them on when I fold it in. Ofcourse I could get them out as well, but I don' t.

Opening and closing this SMDV is a piece of cake....and only takes a few seconds...I like that a lot!. Take it out of its pouch...open in 2/3 seconds...AD300Pro in..ready to shoot.

Material is good and all looks very well build.

Jan 08, 2024 at 01:17 PM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Octaboxes

All of my soft boxes are now Bowens Mount. I've tried several sizes of octaboxes and for portrait work the 30-35" seem to work best for me, but larger like about 60" is needed for full length shots. If only using them in a studio there isn't much need for quick folding. I just put hooks on one wall of my shooting room and hang the open soft boxes from these hooks when not using them. Their grids hang from the same hooks too. If you travel between shoots or set up in your living room for shoots, then the quick folding soft boxes will likely serve you better, since they will be easier to store in a closet and will travel easier. Most any reasonably priced soft box will last years if you don't abuse it. The top end stuff seems to be a money waste. Though made heavier and better, they just don't seem to provide the financial return to justify them. There are many low and mid priced ones on the market that will do just as good at significantly less money. Stick with the more common brand names and they will last a very long time, if you don't abuse them.

Charley

Apr 09, 2024 at 05:28 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Octaboxes

FWIW I really like the Godox QR-P90, not expensive too.

Apr 09, 2024 at 09:24 PM
aCuria
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Octaboxes

pjheller wrote:
Anybody have any comments about either SMDV or Strobepro octaboxes. Looking for one or two that have Bowens mounts, easy to open/close and prefer not to always have to put on/take off diffusion panels (one of them has inner and outer panels permanently attached). Thinking of size between 32 and 36 inches.

Other recommendations welcome (Iíve looked at Glow EZ Lock but havenít found one that fits what Iím looking for, although their prices are pretty reasonable.

Not an octabox but as far as "easy to open/close" goes, the umbrella softbox is the easiest to open/close, and its also the smallest after packing down and usually the cheapest

link

downside is poor heat dissipation, but I don't really spam shots so it has not been a problem

Apr 11, 2024 at 01:30 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.