FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16              18       end

Finally, Z6 III rumors

ArizonaImage
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #1 · p.17 #1 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

JadedWriter wrote:
Only if a person really lives and dies by that 30 fps. If you don't the whole argument becomes very debatable. Same can be said about the 1/400 flash sync. There's better on paper stuff, but if you know what you're doing I'd rather just save the extra money via a Z8/Z9, which I did.

For what I need, a true hybrid (photo/video) the Z8 is checks all the boxes, while being cheaper than the A1 which allows me to snag a few 1.8 S primes.

Apr 01, 2024 at 03:39 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.17 #2 · p.17 #2 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

I will say this a thousand times. I will buy a Z8 before an A7SIII for example...same regarding the RV. The only thing competitive that Sony currently makes in the A1. The Z8 does everything excellently. If you need rez that effing badly and you're a studio/landscape shooter a used GFX100S is like the same price now.
ArizonaImage wrote:
For what I need, a true hybrid (photo/video) the Z8 is checks all the boxes, while being cheaper than the A1 which allows me to snag a few 1.8 S primes.

Apr 01, 2024 at 03:44 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #3 · p.17 #3 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

ArizonaImage wrote:
Thatís pretty subjective statement no? Is that in photos and video?

I think I made it very clear that I give A1 the nod for stills. I give the Z9/8 the nod for video. Given that the Z9/8 are closer to the A1 in stills than the A1 is to the Z9/8 in video, I gave the hybrid nod to Nikon as well.

So I don't get the purpose of you response?

Edited on Apr 01, 2024 at 04:56 PM · View previous versions

Apr 01, 2024 at 04:05 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.17 #4 · p.17 #4 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

ArizonaImage wrote:

Agree

Apr 01, 2024 at 04:06 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.17 #5 · p.17 #5 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

I personally far prefer Nikonís approach. It meets perfectly my needs as a hybrid shooter. I often shoot both photos and videos and the ease of switching between both and to have the exact same video quality with Z8/Z9 is great.

If I did pure video production I would perhaps prefer Sonyís approachÖ The Z8/Z9 offer better video quality than the FX6 but are more difficult to integrate in a pure video workflow but to lack of connectivity. No doubt that itís going to change following the red acquisition.

Back on the Z6III, red raw + Nraw 6k is a real possibility.

Cheers,
Bernard

Apr 01, 2024 at 04:50 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.17 #6 · p.17 #6 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

JadedWriter wrote:
I will say this a thousand times. I will buy a Z8 before an A7SIII for example...same regarding the RV. The only thing competitive that Sony currently makes in the A1. The Z8 does everything excellently. If you need rez that effing badly and you're a studio/landscape shooter a used GFX100S is like the same price now.

The 7S III is a great camera for video. Not so much for stills. The Z8 is a better camera if you want both video and still, but if you want primarily video then the 7S III is a great choice. If Nikon split the Z6 III line to have a primarily video camera and a camera more oriented to still, then a Z6 III that could do video as well as the 7S III would be welcome in my view.

Apr 01, 2024 at 06:41 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.17 #7 · p.17 #7 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

I would not say no to a Z6III specc'd out primarily for video. Me the guy that has done video interviews and ads on the same camera before would probably not invest in an A7SIII though. That's an "I do nothing but video" camera. If you're hybrid and you need your stills to be cropable that's not the camera you buy. The camera is popular for a reason, but I don't think that demographic are hybrid shooters. If there's a percent breakdown those buyers are probably 85% video 15% stills and they might even have something else that takes pictures.
Steve Spencer wrote:
The 7S III is a great camera for video. Not so much for stills. The Z8 is a better camera if you want both video and still, but if you want primarily video then the 7S III is a great choice. If Nikon split the Z6 III line to have a primarily video camera and a camera more oriented to still, then a Z6 III that could do video as well as the 7S III would be welcome in my view.

Apr 01, 2024 at 07:21 PM
noront
• •
[X]
p.17 #8 · p.17 #8 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

JadedWriter wrote:
The A1 doesn't even have animal eye detect in video. It's a great camera, it's not perfect, same can be said for the Z9. I'm pretty sure there are a few specs in the Z9 the A1 doesn't have and vice versa. I think the A1 only even seems like an improvement if you need like 1080P 240 slow mo.

Highest performing camera that Sony knocks backwards with their past lame fw's. Then to top it off, they kick sand in everyones face who owns one by not even fixing what they broke . And then this newest fw Sony breaks the camera even more with users saying it is not as good on sitting birds anymore. Nice job Sony.

But those Sony fans will whine and moan and complain about Nikon's fw and and make false claims about them being a "weekly" happening. I guess one has to feel good about their broken camera one way or another

Apr 01, 2024 at 08:40 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.17 #9 · p.17 #9 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

I knew I didn't like Sony's product support when I had the A7RIV. I never liked Sony's camera logistics enough to invest in a 4-6 thousand dollar camera. It's different strokes for different folks. Sony is going to Sony, one either likes it or they don't. I used the stuff for years and realized I didn't like Sony's ethos so bailed. Support the company that does what you like. Not try to force a product to make what you want. Vote with your wallet. Some people feel stuck in Sony and just are in an endless Sony cycle of love hate and taking it out on other brands. It is what it is.
noront wrote:
Highest performing camera that Sony knocks backwards with their past lame fw's. Then to top it off, they kick sand in everyones face who owns one by not even fixing what they broke . And then this newest fw Sony breaks the camera even more with users saying it is not as good on sitting birds anymore. Nice job Sony.

But those Sony fans will whine and moan and complain about Nikon's fw and and make false claims about them being a "weekly" happening. I guess one has to feel good about their broken camera one way or another

Apr 01, 2024 at 09:50 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.17 #10 · p.17 #10 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

JadedWriter wrote:
I knew I didn't like Sony's product support when I had the A7RIV. I never liked Sony's camera logistics enough to invest in a 4-6 thousand dollar camera. It's different strokes for different folks. Sony is going to Sony, one either likes it or they don't. I used the stuff for years and realized I didn't like Sony's ethos so bailed. Support the company that does what you like. Not try to force a product to make what you want. Vote with your wallet. Some people feel stuck in Sony and just are in an endless Sony cycle of love
...Show more

But as you know, you are still voting with your wallet in favor of Sony when you buy a Nikon. There seems to be no getting around that in the current World of iCL cameras.

I always got good service and support from Nikon, and see no difference with Sony so far. Both very good companies, with nice products these days.

In the scope of hobby costs, as cheap as camera equipment is, I don't think many feel stuck in one system or another.

Apr 01, 2024 at 10:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

unchecked
• •
p.17 #11 · p.17 #11 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

1bwana1 wrote:
But as you know, you are still voting with your wallet in favor of Sony when you buy a Nikon. There seems to be no getting around that in the current World of iCL cameras.

I always got good service and support from Nikon, and see no difference with Sony so far. Both very good companies, with nice products these days.

In the scope of hobby costs, as cheap as camera equipment is, I don't think many feel stuck in one system or another.

The thing is cameras arenít exactly cheap, and especially when people are going into full frame first and skipping the traditional crop bodies altogether. We know that from the CIPA trends. And ergonomics and muscle memory also come into play. If anything, switching has never been that significant and even more so today. This is one reason how Sony got a foothold in this video age and also how Panasonic people kept Panasonic in the game.

And the vote goes to Sony logic is flawed too. The vote goes to Nikon because Nikon gets to count a sale while Sony does not. It is different from buying a Sony where nothing goes to Nikon.

Apr 01, 2024 at 11:06 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.17 #12 · p.17 #12 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

unchecked wrote:
The thing is cameras arenít exactly cheap, and especially when people are going into full frame first and skipping the traditional crop bodies altogether. We know that from the CIPA trends. And ergonomics and muscle memory also come into play. If anything, switching has never been that significant and even more so today. This is one reason how Sony got a foothold in this video age and also how Panasonic people kept Panasonic in the game.

And the vote goes to Sony logic is flawed too. The vote goes to Nikon because Nikon gets to count a sale while Sony
...Show more

Cameras are not expensive either. In fact the net cost of a camera or a lens over its useful life span is one of the least expensive component costs of a photography business or hobby.

Take even a $6,000 dollar camera. Say you keep it 5 years and sell it for only $2,000. Your net cost is only $4,000. That comes out to about $2.20 per day. Less the the photographer is spending on coffee. Very cheap in the scope of things. Even a relatively modest international photography trip will cost more than the camera. Multiple trips over 5 years makes the camera cost all but irrelevant.

When voting with a wallet the issue is money. Sony makes significant revenue whenever you buy a Nikon camera. Sony is very happy about that. Sony gets to record a sale for every component or piece of Sony IP in a Nikon camera. Sony tracks these sales closely and publishes its market share in imaging proudly and continuously grows it.

Contrast that with Nikon whoever publicly states it is working hard to reduce its dependence on camera revenue.

People switching to Sony from other brands is exactly how Sony grew and became number 1 in FF mirorles ICL cameras. Just look at the data. Sony market share rising tracks very well against Nikon market share falling.

Apr 01, 2024 at 11:20 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.17 #13 · p.17 #13 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Dear readers,

After this brief yet pointless Sony vs Nikon tribal war we return you to our previously scheduled programming. How about that mysterious partially obscured "III" logo? It's all we have been waiting for, right? Right Riiiight....

FM Management

Apr 02, 2024 at 12:36 AM
bernardl
• • •
p.17 #14 · p.17 #14 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

GroovyGeek wrote:
How about that mysterious partially obscured "III" logo? It's all we have been waiting for, right? Right Riiiight....

FM Management

It seems very real to me.

Cheers,
Bernard

Apr 02, 2024 at 02:29 AM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.17 #15 · p.17 #15 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

1bwana1 wrote:
Cameras are not expensive either. In fact the net cost of a camera or a lens over its useful life span is one of the least expensive component costs of a photography business or hobby.

Take even a $6,000 dollar camera. Say you keep it 5 years and sell it for only $2,000. Your net cost is only $4,000. That comes out to about $2.20 per day. Less the the photographer is spending on coffee. Very cheap in the scope of things. Even a relatively modest international photography trip will cost more than the camera. Multiple trips over 5 years makes
...Show more

Correct me if Iím wrong (cause I most likely am) but isnít Sony electronics and Sony manufacturing two different entities? Nikon designs some sensors and has Sony manufacture them. It saves costs for Nikon. I know the 24.5mp IMX sensor in the Z6 II is a Sony sensor but I believe the 45.7 in the Z7, Z8, Z9 are Nikon design?

Apr 02, 2024 at 03:07 AM
bernardl
• • •
p.17 #16 · p.17 #16 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

ArizonaImage wrote:
Correct me if Iím wrong (cause I most likely am) but isnít Sony electronics and Sony manufacturing two different entities? Nikon designs some sensors and has Sony manufacture them. It saves costs for Nikon. I know the 24.5mp IMX sensor in the Z6 II is a Sony sensor but I believe the 45.7 in the Z7, Z8, Z9 are Nikon design?

I believe that the majority of the IP used in the sensors used in the Z8/Z9 are Sony's, but it seems very likely that Nikon owns some of the IP also. From a manufacturing stand point, it appears that Sony Semi-conductor is a customer of stepper division of Nikon. So both companies are close partners.

Modern sensors are complex devices relying on various IPs elements in terms of design and manufacturing.

It seems that that sensor is close to that of the a1 but nobody knows how close. It doesn't seem to be available for off the shelf purchase.

And yes, Sony semi-conductor is indeed a separate company from Sony imaging. Both companies are of course working closely together and Sony imaging certainly has a major influence on Sony Semi-conductor beyond the ownership aspects resulting from both of them belonging to the same group.

Cheers,
Bernard

Edited on Apr 02, 2024 at 05:33 AM · View previous versions

Apr 02, 2024 at 03:17 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.17 #17 · p.17 #17 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Sony Semiconductor and Sony Imaging are different business units of the same company. They are both reported on the same balance sheet.

Historically Sony used some Nikon steppers in manufacturing. It still does. But like the rest of the industry it primarily uses ASML steppers these days.

Apr 02, 2024 at 04:38 AM
bernardl
• • •
p.17 #18 · p.17 #18 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

https://www.sony-semicon.com/en/company/history/index.html

According to their web site Sony Semiconductor Solutions Corporation is a separate legal entity established in 2016.

But Sony group certainly reports their revenue as that of a business unit since the Sony group owns both companies.

But... again... not related directly to the Z6III as far as I understand.

Apr 02, 2024 at 04:52 AM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.17 #19 · p.17 #19 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

If I cared about who made my sensors I'd be shooting Canon and not Nikon and Fujifilm. I don't care. I really wish you people would stop trotting out the "but Sony makes the sensors" line. It's petty and you just want the final word in the discussion.
Also to further clarify:
I shot Nikon first, Fuji second basically a year after I started photography and Sony third down the line. I consider Nikon and Fuji the root of my photography. I don't care who makes their sensors.
1bwana1 wrote:

Apr 02, 2024 at 06:12 AM
unchecked
• •
p.17 #20 · p.17 #20 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

JadedWriter wrote:
If I cared about who made my sensors I'd be shooting Canon and not Nikon and Fujifilm. I don't care. I really wish you people would stop trotting out the "but Sony makes the sensors" line. It's petty and you just want the final word in the discussion.
Also to further clarify:
I shot Nikon first, Fuji second basically a year after I started photography and Sony third down the line. I consider Nikon and Fuji the root of my photography. I don't care who makes their sensors.

Yep. It's the same as saying iPhone users are also shooting TSMC, Samsung or Sony depending on which parts they use. If anything, that's also an insult to Samsung and Sony because in blind tests, Samsung and Sony phones do often churn out better images than the iPhone.

Edited on Apr 02, 2024 at 08:24 AM · View previous versions

Apr 02, 2024 at 08:22 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.