FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              17       18       end

Finally, Z6 III rumors

suteetat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

swifty168 wrote:
Just twiddling my thumb here waiting for @suteetat@ to give his dealer a tap on the shoulders

Haha.. so far no other update except that it is pretty much a zf in typical z body. I think I mentioned that way back when Zf was announced. However, may be 2 more bodies for Olympic crowd

Dec 13, 2023 at 01:54 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Alistair1 wrote:
I agree, the Z9 hardware should have no trouble achieving 30fps for lossy 45mp raw, probably more. IMO the reason they have not done it yet was that they were awaiting the outcome of Red lawsuit as inevitably such a file will leverage on TicoRaw, just as NRaw does. That, and they are short of software engineers. Nikon, together with its customers and competitors is quickly learning that at least half of the proposition offered by a mirrorless camera comes from its software.

The good thing is that I was told that Expeed 7 is so powerful that it is much more capable than what z8/z9 can do now. Question is is there bottleneck elsewhere in the chain. Nikon may also withhold something for future model as well, who knows.

Dec 13, 2023 at 01:59 AM
huddy
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

I don't know about ya'll but I'm holding out for the Z6iv or the $2000 or less used Z8's eventually.

I'll be curious to see what this comes out as. I don't need a new body, am not pushing the limits, and won't be swayed immediately by a 3rd gen Z6 upgrade. I'm going to try and hold myself out to at least 2026 before I consider a new to me body and hand my Z6 to my oldest children with a 50/1.8 on it. I am however completely fine with 24MP. I don't need any more.

I'm much more eager to save and put my dollars towards 1, maybe 2 more Z mount lenses, and maybe an F mount super tele on the cheap.

Dec 13, 2023 at 02:12 AM
akul
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

ArizonaImage wrote:
If its a totally new design from the IMX sensor of the original Z6, than I can see it being it geared more for video, although the original IMX sensor of the Z6 and Z6 II are technically able to shoot 6K video. Perhaps they tweaked it or totally revamped it to provide better video or low light or DR?

If it is a new sensor with better video, faster readout enabling a ‘near stack sensor’ smoother view finder for moving subject, with same level DR or better, it would be very interesting. I really don’t want a swivel screen, keeping my fingers crossed for 2way tilt and self eliminating buttons.

Luka

Dec 13, 2023 at 02:22 AM
akul
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Joseph Marney wrote:
I would prefer the body size stay the same, and no swivel screen unless it is A7R V style. 6k ProRes could be nice though.

+1. I just updated my camera bag based on the Z6+L- plate. I so prefer current size and weight.

Luka

Dec 13, 2023 at 02:27 AM
bluehawaii
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

If the the NR picture is real then it looks like they went with the EVF from the Z8.

Makes sense since the Z7III will use the same body.

I'm happy with the side screen if it does have a huge EVF. Would prefer if the Z6 screen had stayed though.

This dude is not a side screen fan:

https://www.kristoffertrolle.com/2021/death-to-the-flip-out-screen/

Dec 13, 2023 at 07:52 AM
tobycat2
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

RoamingScott wrote:
Truly shocking stuff to anyone not subscribed to my newsletter

I think my subscription lapsed

Dec 13, 2023 at 08:36 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

bluehawaii wrote:
If the the NR picture is real then it looks like they went with the EVF from the Z8.

It's really annoying that NR is STILL using that picture. It's a Z8 on the edge of a wide angle photo making it look smaller than it is.

Dec 13, 2023 at 09:25 AM
akul
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Just particular to me , if Z6iii is with a new 24.5 mp than 33-36 mp Iwas hoping for, I may consider replacing Z6 with z6iii but pick up a refurb or used Z7ii for landscape. Rumor of Vari- angle LCD is really pushing me too. It is a challenge that image is so offset from the center of camera. A7R5 style is definitely desired. And L plate. I see there exist l-plate allows some use of vari- angle LCD, but does not look ideal with strange edge, and doubt how many degrees of turn it allows.

Luka

Dec 13, 2023 at 10:10 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Joseph Marney wrote:
I would prefer the body size stay the same, and no swivel screen unless it is A7R V style. 6k ProRes could be nice though.

A selfie screen would be a deal breaker for me, Even the A7R V screen is compromised, and was one of the reasons I decided to completely switch over to Nikon.

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BPsmith511
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

RoamingScott wrote:
It's really annoying that NR is STILL using that picture. It's a Z8 on the edge of a wide angle photo making it look smaller than it is.

Especially when there's a photo from the same day, other side of the table, that shows it is a Z8, very clearly.

Like they'd display a non-announced model at a show and nobody would hear about it...

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:11 PM
bluehawaii
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Selectable screen option at the factory would please everyone.

Send all the selfie/blogger screen ones to the YT crowd and send the photographic screened cameras to everyone else.

Done.

Edited on Dec 13, 2023 at 12:23 PM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:22 PM
Joseph Marney
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

molson wrote:
A selfie screen would be a deal breaker for me, Even the A7R V screen is compromised, and was one of the reasons I decided to completely switch over to Nikon.

There are non-existent solutions (I think) that could capture the best of both worlds. The biggest reason I sometimes like the swivel screen is the ability to close it in towards the camera. But I think there are probably other ways of achieving this. Or of keeping a swivel screen without sacrificing the vertical on-axis articulations.

But, more moving parts is a liability as well...

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:23 PM
bluehawaii
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

On the Z6 these are excellent: https://shop.nikon-image.com/front/Product120908064

Includes for both screens.

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:33 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

bluehawaii wrote:
On the Z6 these are excellent: https://shop.nikon-image.com/front/Product120908064

Includes for both screens.

I prefer the Expert Shield crystal clear personally, have used them on every camera I've had for the last 6-7 years. You get 2 protectors for each screen in each pack, and if you goof up installation, they'll send you some free ones no hassle.

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:46 PM
bluehawaii
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Not all Youtubers want selfie screens.

5.09 into the video he sums up a lot of the downsides very well:

Dec 13, 2023 at 01:22 PM
rand17
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

dalegaspi wrote:
that YT channel is absolute garbage.

Why?

Dec 13, 2023 at 08:23 PM
ahamp
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

I don't think of the swivel screen as a "selfie" screen. But, I don't do selfies or vlogging. I look at it as a tool to position my camera in tight spots and still see the screen when I can't use the EVF. Back when I used digital SLRs I kept a D5500 in my bag just for those times.

Dec 13, 2023 at 08:45 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

From the list of specs on NR I don't see much that I want in the Z6 iii. Don't need higher frame rate than the Z6. Don't need faster AF. Don't need pterodactyl eye tracking via AI. Don't need more Mpx EVF. Would appreciate lower blackout but can live without it. Would have preferred somewhat higer pixel count without stepping up to Z7 territory. Would have loved much better battery life. HATE HATE HATE any increase in body size and weight. Don't need better video... scratch that, don't need ANY video.

If that is what Nikon has in store I may just step up to a used Z8 if the weight/size difference is small.

Dec 14, 2023 at 12:25 AM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

ahamp wrote:
I don't think of the swivel screen as a "selfie" screen. But, I don't do selfies or vlogging. I look at it as a tool to position my camera in tight spots and still see the screen when I can't use the EVF. Back when I used digital SLRs I kept a D5500 in my bag just for those times.

But the vari-angle screen takes more space on the left side of the camera so it would reduce positioning options available for the camera. I don't see how it would help in shooting in tight spaces, compared to the two-axis tilting screen in the Z8/9.
The vari-angle screen has the benefit of the option to turn it towards the subject, and also blocking the screen by turning its surface against the back of the camera so there is no stray light coming from it (can be a benefit when photographing indoor events such as a theatre performance). (Edit: removed erroneous sentence.) It can get in the way of L-brackets (if using a pod). Finally, when using the screen to shoot horizontals from low or high vantage points, the screen and camera strap often get tangled up. It is faster to set up such positions with the tilt screen and with the two-axis tilt screen the screen can turn in all four directions (up/down/left/right) without having to flip it around. The left hand also doesn't get in the way of the screen like it does when using the vari-angle screen.

I do like the option of having a camera with the vari-angle screen to ensure no stray light is coming from the camera as on the Zf. However, it is otherwise a very clumsy contraption compared to the two-axis tilt screen. I hope NR is wrong and the Z6III either gets the screen of the Z8/9 or the one-axis tilt screen of the Z6II. There are enough of the vari-angle screens in the lineup. Alternatively, a good solution would be to offer the purchaser a choice of all three options. So there would then be three sub-models of the Z6 III.

Dec 14, 2023 at 07:41 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.