New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              17       18       end

Finally, Z6 III rumors

ArizonaImage
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Finally we have some news regarding the Z6 III.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nikonziii/permalink/687599043582671/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

This video doesn't convince me about anything lol but he claims to have an "inside" scoop.

Edited on Mar 31, 2024 at 05:57 PM · View previous versions

Dec 12, 2023 at 04:39 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Exactly as expected, more/less a Zf in a more modern package The only thing holding back current Z6/Z7 bodies is the lack of EXPEED 7 and the Z8/Z9 AF algorithms. They barely have to do anything else to remain very competitive. I wouldn't be surprised if the delays had more to do with the Z8 eating up production capacity than having a Z6III/Z7III ready to go.

If the 24MP rumor is true, that bodes well for future Z7 viability as well.

If they push the RAW FPS beyond 20, that would also give more weight to the rumor that Nikon is planning a FW upgrade to give 30FPS RAW and RAW precapture to the Z8/Z9.

NR is really caught up on this "High Speed" thing but I doubt Nikon will use one of their most entry level cameras to do it and without a stacked sensor running the show.

Here's the NR article for non-FB users: https://nikonrumors.com/2023/12/12/breaking-news-first-set-of-rumored-nikon-z6iii-camera-specifications.aspx/

Dec 12, 2023 at 04:57 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Truly shocking stuff to anyone not subscribed to my newsletter

Dec 12, 2023 at 05:00 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

CanadaMark wrote:
If they push the RAW FPS beyond 20, that would also give more weight to the rumor that Nikon is planning a FW upgrade to give 30FPS RAW and RAW precapture to the Z8/Z9.

You don't think there will be a data throughput issue at 45mp to pull off those speeds vs 24mp on the Z6iii? I don't know enough about the theoretical memory bus ceiling in the Z8/Z9 to speculate, but I assumed that was always the culprit for no 30fps RAW/RAW precapture.

Dec 12, 2023 at 05:05 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Fits the bill for me. Low light winner here. Z8 for other uses.

Dec 12, 2023 at 05:15 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Sounds nice, but my ancient Z7 works well with plenty of resolution using APS-C lenses. AF-D excluded.

Dec 12, 2023 at 05:22 PM
Jawnathin

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Seems reasonable. The current Z6ii is a great camera and all it really needed is the Z8/9 AF system and new video features to be competitive. More trickle down features from the Z8/Z9 would have been nice but that adds to the cost. I think Nikon is better off spec’ing this to a $2K USD price point than to chase pro features and risk pricing themselves out. They have other cameras for that.

24MP sensor is plenty for most people and leaves room for a Z7iii for those that need more. The stacked sensor and its benefits remain exclusive to the Z8/Z9 which makes sense given their price, position in the lineup, and buyer demographic.

Dec 12, 2023 at 05:48 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

RoamingScott wrote:
You don't think there will be a data throughput issue at 45mp to pull off those speeds vs 24mp on the Z6iii? I don't know enough about the theoretical memory bus ceiling in the Z8/Z9 to speculate, but I assumed that was always the culprit for no 30fps RAW/RAW precapture.

It's hard to say what the Z8/Z9 is capable of. On one hand, if it was capable, why not just have it there on launch day. On the other hand, maybe there was a technical hurdle that they finally figured out how to overcome. And far less likely, it could even be an artificial limitation imposed due to a future planned body that is no longer on the table and/or deemed no longer needing protecting. It's all just rumors and speculation at this point. 8K60P video was not a launch feature either.

In terms of data throughput, native 8K60P video is moving a hair under 2,000 MP per second and can be done in NRAW with a bitrate of 5780Mbps (722.5MB/s). I don't think it's a stretch to offer 30fps 45MP shooting which is ~1,350 MP per second of data handling. In terms of file size, they could use one of the HE RAW formats or a 12bit option like Sony does to achieve 30fps if it's not possible in one of the other formats. HE files at 30fps would be a smaller amount of data moving than the existing maximum 8K60P bitrate (30fps multiplied by roughly 22MB HE files), and they would still be 14bit RAWs preferable to a 12bit option. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but we don't have much else to go on. Even HEIF would be a small improvement to the existing JPEG-only options.

The Z8/Z9 have a 4GB buffer, so 30fps RAW pre capture could theoretically support ~2.5s, ~4.1s, and ~6.2s loops in lossless compressed, HE*, and HE respectively. Again it's likely more complicated than that, but the buffer wouldn't appear to be a bottleneck for RAW precapture with existing file sizes. They could limit RAW pre capture to 20FPS as well, there are lots of different ways they could give it to us. The Canon R3 can shoot 195 FPS RAW for a very short period with locked AE/AF, so it can at least pull the data off the sensor at that rate albeit at a lower MP / file size.

A Z6III with 24MP could run at nearly 40fps assuming the same processing chain as the Z8/Z9 currently use, all else roughly equal. If it can do that, I can't see Nikon marketing that as a headline feature and crowing it their "high speed" body without a stacked sensor which it almost surely will not have.

My comment was based on this rumor posting that was oddly specific, hopefully meaning it's more likely to be true. Just as likely to be nothing more than clickbait, but I will remain optimistic for now

https://nikonrumors.com/2023/12/02/rumored-nikon-z9-z8-firmware-updates-roadmap.aspx/

Dec 12, 2023 at 06:11 PM
George DeCamp
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

CanadaMark wrote:
It's hard to say what the Z8/Z9 is capable of. On one hand, if it was capable, why not just have it there on launch day. On the other hand, maybe there was a technical hurdle that they finally figured out how to overcome. And far less likely, it could even be an artificial limitation imposed due to a future planned body that is no longer on the table and/or deemed no longer needing protecting. It's all just rumors and speculation at this point. 8K60P video was not a launch feature either.

In terms of data throughput, native 8K60P video is
...Show more

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Actually I have no idea what you're talking about!

Dec 12, 2023 at 06:31 PM
swifty168
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Supposedly ‘new’ sensor though whatever new means.
But likely there would be more changes than just the Zf internal a in a different body if it took so long to develop.
But maybe the body was the hold up. New platform for future Z5/6/7 and higher end Z DX range?

Dec 12, 2023 at 06:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bernardl
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

If those specs are real then the Zf appears to be a better complement to a Z8 than the Z6III would.

It does offer something truly different which helps with some shooting scenarios.

Dec 12, 2023 at 06:55 PM
Alistair1
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

CanadaMark wrote:

In terms of data throughput, native 8K60P video is
...Show more

I agree, the Z9 hardware should have no trouble achieving 30fps for lossy 45mp raw, probably more. IMO the reason they have not done it yet was that they were awaiting the outcome of Red lawsuit as inevitably such a file will leverage on TicoRaw, just as NRaw does. That, and they are short of software engineers. Nikon, together with its customers and competitors is quickly learning that at least half of the proposition offered by a mirrorless camera comes from its software.

Dec 12, 2023 at 07:56 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Alistair1 wrote:
I agree, the Z9 hardware should have no trouble achieving 30fps for lossy 45mp raw, probably more. IMO the reason they have not done it yet was that they were awaiting the outcome of Red lawsuit as inevitably such a file will leverage on TicoRaw, just as NRaw does. That, and they are short of software engineers. Nikon, together with its customers and competitors is quickly learning that at least half of the proposition offered by a mirrorless camera comes from its software.

I am thinking that the Z9 and possibly the Z8 will get an update to do 30fps RAW shortly after the A9III is actually being sold in the market.

Dec 12, 2023 at 08:25 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

bernardl wrote:
If those specs are real then the Zf appears to be a better complement to a Z8 than the Z6III would.

It does offer something truly different which helps with some shooting scenarios.

Depending on what features the Z6 III has. Perhaps Nikon will give it some amazing new features but idk. For me, the Z6 III makes more sense since I need video

Dec 12, 2023 at 08:46 PM
akul
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

CanadaMark wrote:
Exactly as expected, more/less a Zf in a more modern package

Not really, A new BSI 24.5MP sensor. A different animal. Hopefully with new AF sensor layout. Old sensor doesn't cut it at this point.

Luka

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:20 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

akul wrote:
Not really, A new BSI 24.5MP sensor. A different animal. Hopefully with new AF sensor layout. Old sensor doesn't cut it at this point.

Luka

If its a totally new design from the IMX sensor of the original Z6, than I can see it being it geared more for video, although the original IMX sensor of the Z6 and Z6 II are technically able to shoot 6K video. Perhaps they tweaked it or totally revamped it to provide better video or low light or DR?

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:53 PM
dalegaspi
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

that YT channel is absolute garbage.

Dec 12, 2023 at 11:39 PM
swifty168
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Just twiddling my thumb here waiting for @suteetat to give his dealer a tap on the shoulders

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:02 AM
Ai_Print
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

Well that was painful to watch, I thought all that hot air was going to set off my smoke alarm.

This might be a *tad* more in the credible direction:

https://nikonrumors.com/2023/12/12/breaking-news-first-set-of-rumored-nikon-z6iii-camera-specifications.aspx/

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:32 AM
Joseph Marney
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Finally, Z6 III rumors

I would prefer the body size stay the same, and no swivel screen unless it is A7R V style. 6k ProRes could be nice though.

Dec 13, 2023 at 01:39 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.