New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              end

Choosing studio strobes (Godox)

jlafferty
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Choosing studio strobes (Godox)

Thatís interesting, didnít know about that. My only concern is that, if itís designed for the AD400, the AD300 bulb might not clear the collar. With the S2 youíve got the advantage of being able to move the strobe in/out for better clearance and greater efficiency.

RobArtLyn wrote:
The smallest all Godox package with a 7" reflector would be mounting an AD-R11 directly to an AD300Pro. No S2 required.

Dec 27, 2023 at 06:47 AM
RobArtLyn

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Choosing studio strobes (Godox)

jlafferty wrote:
Thatís interesting, didnít know about that. My only concern is that, if itís designed for the AD400, the AD300 bulb might not clear the collar. With the S2 youíve got the advantage of being able to move the strobe in/out for better clearance and greater efficiency.

I have two of them. I use them with my AD300Pros without any issue.

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:42 PM
aCuria
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Choosing studio strobes (Godox)

RobArtLyn wrote:
I have two of them. I use them with my AD300Pros without any issue.

This is a good tip, it means the big and heavy S2 bracket can be ditched

How are you moving the AD300 pros to location, roller bag?

Dec 29, 2023 at 12:54 PM
aCuria
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Choosing studio strobes (Godox)

jlafferty wrote:
How is it in your HSS scenario, only the AD300 would suffer exposure loss, and not the AD100?

When you turn on HSS, the AD300 loses about 1.5 stops of power because of HSS and becomes a 100ws strobe. A higher shutter speed is used to cut ambient.

In the scenario, the AD100 is used without HSS so it retains 100ws of power. A ND filter is used to cut ambient

As for why HSS causes power loss, itís because HSS tries to turn the strobe into a continuous light source by firing the strobe repeatedly. The strobe simply cannot be fired repeatedly at full power, so thereís power loss

Dec 29, 2023 at 01:05 PM
aCuria
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Choosing studio strobes (Godox)

hiepphotog wrote:
You are right in that the OP is not looking for a portable, lightweight option. If the purpose is to fill that giant 7-ft umbrella for a large group, I also agree that the AD100 is not able to do it; though for anything smaller, it might not be an issue. I was trying to provide more context on Markus' approach and not trying to suggest the OP should use the AD100.

Yeah I did say for the group photos the AD600 is the right tool for the job. The 600 does not cost that much more than the 300, and if you need to handle a large group you really need the 600

Edited on Dec 29, 2023 at 01:14 PM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2023 at 01:12 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Choosing studio strobes (Godox)

Yes, I know what HSS is and that wasnít my question. I still donít understand why youíre cherry picking one strobe in HSS and another not, and comparing the two as if the AD300 gets ďdowngradedĒ to 100ws, whereas the AD100 stays full power, as opposed to becoming a ~30ws light under the same circumstances. What am I missing? Does the AD100 sync differently?

aCuria wrote:
When you turn on HSS, the AD300 loses about 1.5 stops of power because of HSS and becomes a 100ws strobe. A higher shutter speed is used to cut ambient.

In the scenario, the AD100 is used without HSS so it retains 100ws of power. A ND filter is used to cut ambient

As for why HSS causes power loss, itís because HSS tries to turn the strobe into a continuous light source by firing the strobe repeatedly. The strobe simply cannot be fired repeatedly at full power, so thereís power loss

Edited on Dec 30, 2023 at 10:03 AM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2023 at 01:14 PM
aCuria
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Choosing studio strobes (Godox)

jlafferty wrote:
Yes, I know what HSS is and that wasnít my question. I still donít under why youíre cherry picking one strobe in HSS and another not, and comparing the two as if the AD300 gets ďdowngradedĒ to 100ws, whereas the AD100 stays full power. But itís your bed so have at it

Look at the post I was responding to.

My post was in response to someone who was using HSS exclusively with the AD300 and claiming the AD100 doesnít put out enough power

However with my ND filter I have as much power with an AD100 as the other guy with his AD300+HSS.

Dec 29, 2023 at 01:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobArtLyn

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Choosing studio strobes (Godox)

aCuria wrote:
This is a good tip, it means the big and heavy S2 bracket can be ditched

How are you moving the AD300 pros to location, roller bag?

Everything is in Pelican cases stacked on a hand cart.

Dec 30, 2023 at 08:02 AM
mikifare

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Choosing studio strobes (Godox)

themb3life wrote:
When getting started in flash photography we look at the cheaper lights as ďI am just getting started and why do I want to spend that muchĒ. I 1000% made this mistake.

My 1st strobes were the MS300ís for $129. What I didnít know enough about what the ďWHYĒ are these lights so cheap. One of the specs that doesnít seem to be considered enough is the strobe power range. The MS300 can ONLY go down to 1/32 power. As I progressed into my shooting, I can tell you only being to go down to 1/32 on a 300W light can
...Show more

Thanks for information

Jan 04, 2024 at 10:47 AM
jjasef
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Choosing studio strobes (Godox)

I've been shooting with AD200 for awhile now (have 5 total).

I started out with Alien Bees and then Einsteins and downsized to the AD200.

It all depends on what you're needing really but for me, my work in portraits and occasional productions, AD200 perfectly fits the bill.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:45 AM
wilt
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Choosing studio strobes (Godox)

According to one customer answer on B&H site, the AD600 Pro output is
"In normal sync mode: one AD600Pro 10' from the subject with the standard reflector at 1/2+0.8 power, ISO100, 1/160 sec. your F-stop for good exposure will be @ F16."
IOW its 600 W-s rating is accurate reflection of its power capacitor, and not an inflated number "rating like a 600 w-s studio strobe" that some brands confuse customers with.

If you then extrapolate to lower powered Godox units, using the AD300 should have "with the standard reflector at 1/2+0.8 power, ISO100, 1/160 sec. your F-stop for good exposure will be @ f/11". So fractional power setting should be (with the AD300)
1/2: f/8
1/4: f/5.6
1/8: f/4
1/16: f/2.8
1/32: f/2
1/16: f/1.4

With 9 power levels, the AD600 Pro would have no problem at all getting down to f/1.4

Some flash units do not have a 'bare tube' configuration,and if you fire forward in a softbox with single diffusion, it can have a 'hot spot' pattern that looks like this...

?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds[/IMG]

which is why double-diffusion front panel, or aiming the flash to the rear of a softbox, is preferable. Using a flash with a variable FOV coverage angle lens does NOT make this go away.

If the flash has a permanent reflector, it has to have the coverage angle of a 24mm lens, for it to fill an umbrella or the front panel of a softbox, at a distance of 1' from the umbrella/panel. This is why a head with a removable reflector ('bare tube' mode)_is preferable.

The modelling light intensity can be a significant contributor/impairment to SEEING the effect of light placement at a certain position relative to the subject. The AD300 has a 12W LED, which is equivalent in light output to 100W halogen. I can speak from experience that 100W modelling light can be inadequate indoors if sunlight is coming in thru a large window! The AD600 has an LED which is closer in output to a 250W halogen, and that is more than enough.

Feb 04, 2024 at 01:42 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Choosing studio strobes (Godox)

RobArtLyn wrote:
The smallest all Godox package with a 7" reflector would be mounting an AD-R11 directly to an AD300Pro. No S2 required.

Do you know what kind of gain you got with the AD-R11 over the stock reflector? Thank you.

Apr 08, 2024 at 01:27 AM
RobArtLyn

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Choosing studio strobes (Godox)

hiepphotog wrote:
Do you know what kind of gain you got with the AD-R11 over the stock reflector? Thank you.

I have no idea. For me, the purpose is to be able to use 7Ē grids.

Apr 08, 2024 at 06:18 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.