New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Back to Nikon DSLR's

aznature
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

I own the Z7II and Z6II, so I decided to sell my beloved D4.
Took few images and listed it online.
So Far so good.
My D4 is very close to brand new with low clicks so I asked $1000 for it.
$1000 for $5999 2012 camera?
That's life.... who cares about "old" camera when new Z8 is the star now?
It was so sad, nobody wanted my D4.
Not for $1000 or $900 or ...... even $600.
Just a minute... What about my (free) Christmas gift this Year?
Nikon D4 which looks and feels like brand new?
I immediately closed the listing and was so thankful to give myself this great gift.
I mounted the sigma 150-600 C which was purchased for the Z bodies, and while listening to the old faithful loud clicks
I captured amazing BIF images.
Since that moment, the old D4 became my favorite.
I did not touch the Z bodies for a while. They suddenly feel like toys.
Today I packed the "old" D500 too and gave it another chance. I was not disappointed.
So the Nikon DSLR's are back in my life.

If you share similar experience please tell us about it.

Dec 09, 2023 at 11:17 PM
tntcorp1
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

there is no reasons why dslr & milc cannot co-exist. also, the sigma 150-600c is the best bang for the buck. 👍👍

Dec 10, 2023 at 12:33 AM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

I use both D780 and Z6. I own just three Z-mount lenses: 14-30/4 S, 24-70/4 S and Voigtlander 50/2 Apo Lanthar.

Dec 10, 2023 at 07:38 AM
Luke_Miller

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

I keep my D5 for my big glass (300 f2.8, 200 f2.0). While I'm sure they would work fine on my Z8 with the FTZ I feel they will be more secure on the D5.

Dec 10, 2023 at 07:58 AM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

Was using my Z9 with FTZ and 500 pf until I got the 400 f4.5. That now stays on the Z9 with/without 1.4 TC, and the 500pf is back on my D850.

Dec 10, 2023 at 03:51 PM
ReleaseDrive
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

I sold my D7500 a few years ago and really regret it. I've had the D700, D7500 and D500.Sold it after I bought the Z50 but then instant regret.

It was like the perfect size and responsiveness was great. Made great pictures. All you need in the AF-P triplet which is practically free these days and the 35mm 1.8 DX and 50mm 1.8.

Dec 10, 2023 at 06:19 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

Still using DSLR for IR and AF-D lenses

Dec 10, 2023 at 07:37 PM
Don Ferrario
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

There are DSLR and then there are the D4/Df generation. Those sensors are just different. Color much better than the generation that followed and as good as today sensors. I am primarily using Z9 but when it came time to slim down my DSLR collection the D4 and Df are the ones they remain. I chose to keep them even selling the D850.

Dec 10, 2023 at 07:47 PM
311erin
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

As I posted in the other thread, the value of the DSLR system is just ridiculous. The pinnacle of DSLR and AF-S lenses can be bought for 1/3 the price of Z system. Ask yourself, honestly, do the differences really matter to me and my photography? Iím not judging, spend your money however you want, itís yours, and Iím sure there are plenty here where the new capabilities and features do make a difference and are valuable. Iím just saying there are probably an equal amount here where it makes no difference (me) for their photography and the value is just too compelling to ignore! I just grabbed a 24-70 E VR for $700Ö INSANE! Iím probably the happiest with my system Iíve been in 20yrs!

Dec 11, 2023 at 09:59 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

No real plans to switch to mirrorless, here.

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JadedWriter
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

Used my D4 and D5 for an event on the 5th, using my D850 and D5 for a quick event today before I use my Z9...and probably the Z7II for an event later tonight. I still use both systems.

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:27 AM
sanjayg
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

Z6,Z7 user with some Z lenses and a D850 user with a bunch of F mount lenses

Love using both systems for what they excel at. Z lenses are super but it's also great to use the F mount fisheye, superwide, wide, normal, tele and supertele lenses. These old DSLRs and F mount lenses have dropped so much in value that it makes sense to keep and enjoy (only if you actually enjoy) and I really like having both systems as of now. It may change but it's still a joy to shoot the D850.

Edited on Dec 12, 2023 at 06:36 AM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2023 at 11:28 AM
Max Power
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

Don Ferrario wrote:
There are DSLR and then there are the D4/Df generation. Those sensors are just different. Color much better than the generation that followed and as good as today sensors. I am primarily using Z9 but when it came time to slim down my DSLR collection the D4 and Df are the ones they remain. I chose to keep them even selling the D850.

I kept my Df because the sensor is nice and it works with my pre-ai lenses.

Dec 11, 2023 at 02:58 PM
coralnut
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

New systems always kill the value of old systems. It's the nature of tech. Any old computer is just about worthless.

We all know that when new models of digital cameras come out, the previous models always take a big hit in price. Chasing the latest and greatest becomes expensive, while perfectly good "obsolete" models become very cheap.

With the advent of digital, the entire class of film cameras became unwanted and you couldn't give them away. People who still liked to shoot film found some great bargains during the Great Film Liquidation. Even Hasselblads were almost free for a while.

Now we're seeing the same thing happen with DSLR. The demand for MILC is high, the herd is dumping "obsolete" DSLR gear and today it's hard to give away an F-mount DSLR. Both the cameras and lenses have become dirt cheap during the Great DSLR Liquidation.

I think the OP was smart to keep his D5. F-mount gear just gets cheaper and cheaper, to the point that it's sale value is less than the utilitarian value of keeping it. I'm keeping my old DSLR too. I hate DX but I can't even get rid of my D7000 because it's still a good camera that has utilitarian value to me. Like the OP, the decision to keep it was like getting the gift of a free camera.

The bright side to the Great DSLR Liquidation is that today it's possible to put together a truly great system for pennies on the dollar -- if a DSLR floats your boat. There are some truly great bargains out there on the premier F-mount glass.

Dec 11, 2023 at 05:25 PM
terencepatrick
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

I've been in the Sony ecosystem for the last 7 years: A9s, and A1s. Both are tools necessary to do my job, which is to shoot on film and TV sets. The A1s were likely the best digital cameras I had ever used at the time I bought them and I've got experience back to the Nikon D1, original Canon 5D, and Hasselblad/Phase One in professional contexts. Anyway, I had noticed prices on D850s and Canon 5D IVs were plunging so I started shopping. Ended up getting two D850s, with less than 70k on the shutters each, for total of about $2200 and have been really loving the feel of a mirrored camera again. I've compared the files from the D850 to my A1 files and there is almost no perceptible differences in look, dynamic range, or noise from my typical shooting style. Heck, I've got a friend who just shot a big campaign for an A-list popstar on Canon 5D3s and it looks amazing, so I have no doubt the D850s will serve me for many more years to come. I didn't get rid of my Sonys and so it's nice to have specific tools to do specific jobs.

Feb 20, 2024 at 03:10 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

D70, 700 and 3400 for IR. D7200 and D800 for oldet AF-D lenses and a Z7 with 40 and 50MM and 24-200.

Feb 20, 2024 at 04:14 PM
OffTrail
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

Got the Zf back in October and it's been a really neat camera, but it's also convinced me to stick with DSLR's for my main bodies. Going forward, my "investment" into Z's will be pretty minimal. I do like where it's headed, but not pressed to move on from DSLR's at this time.

Feb 20, 2024 at 04:26 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

The best thing about those old DSLR's is the quality time you get to invest performing AF adjustments...

Feb 20, 2024 at 05:14 PM
Eric214
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

Well, don't take this the wrong way, bit you had a pro flagship body in the D4 and a pro APS-C in the D500 and went into the mirrorless world with a Z6II and Z7II.

The 2 Z bodies don't have the AF abilities for good, consistent AF for action like BIF. This was the equivalent of going from the D4 to a D5300 or so. No one would have been happy with that. The only Z bodies currently that is any better than the D500 are the Z9, Z8 and ZF.

By all means if you are happy with the D500 and D4, that's all that matters, but thinking those 2 Z bodies were going to replace the D4 and D500... That was destined to fail. I'm quite certain if you bought a Z9 or Z8, your experience would have been much different

Edited on Feb 20, 2024 at 06:29 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2024 at 05:16 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Back to Nikon DSLR's

God I hate this. The Z stuff is very "plug and play" the F mount stuff on the DSLR's is a nuisance. AF adjusting several lenses to four bodies is ugghh...no wonder why I'm contemplating trading my D810 in for a little bit of GFX100S credit
molson wrote:
The best thing about those old DSLR's is the quality time you get to invest performing AF adjustments...

Feb 20, 2024 at 05:24 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.