Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

MS-Optic 35mm f3.5 MC Super Triplet Perar (Mark I)

tommmi

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MS-Optic 35mm f3.5 MC Super Triplet Perar (Mark I)

I happen to have an opportunity to buy this lens for my M11, but I find little to none of any information or example pictures shot with this lens. Does anybody have any experience with it, or what are the differences between Mark I and Mark II?

Dec 06, 2023 at 07:40 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MS-Optic 35mm f3.5 MC Super Triplet Perar (Mark I)

IIRC, the housing was different but optics the same. You might be better served by MS Optics' newer 35mm offering. The older lenses tended to be more fragile--which is not to say the new ones are 'robust'. Being tiny has its price.

Dec 06, 2023 at 11:30 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MS-Optic 35mm f3.5 MC Super Triplet Perar (Mark I)

tommmi wrote:
I happen to have an opportunity to buy this lens for my M11, but I find little to none of any information or example pictures shot with this lens. Does anybody have any experience with it, or what are the differences between Mark I and Mark II?

Perhaps @Juha Kannisto may know the answer to this as he probably tried both versions.

Dec 06, 2023 at 06:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MS-Optic 35mm f3.5 MC Super Triplet Perar (Mark I)

I have the Mark II version currently. I managed to buy a used one in beautiful condition from Map Camera about 1 year ago. I have never had a chance to try the Mark I version. Both versions are quite hard to find in 2nd hand market in Japan. I've never seen Mark I version in any shops after I got heavily into MS-Optics lenses again in early 2022, but Mark II has popped up just a couple of times.

This is what Japan Exposures wrote about differences between version I and II:
--------------
The MS Optical Super Triplet Perar 3.5/35 Mark II is optically identical to first version. In this revision, some minor changes were made:

Native Leica M mount, not LTM with adapter
More robust, thicker focussing lever
Minor changes of markings on barrel, aperture scale marks
--------------

Japan Exposures also wrote the following about version I:
https://www.japanexposures.com/2010/09/06/ms-optical-super-triplet-perar/
--------------
Actually, at the core the lens is screw mount, however its use on LTM bodies requires some additional technical calibration with the camera. Unless you send us your camera, for customers outside of Japan we only offer the M mount version. The L-M ring is semi-permanently fixed and could be removed if you really wanted to, but doing so may create focussing and other issues so it is not recommended.
--------------

Initially I didn't really get into using my Mark II but after I got my A7CII I've been warming up to it and I used it on my A7CII on a couple of outings very recently. Some samples shots:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LFWntZhsQsUkeDRz5
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LYGUBYmn7pDMyLP8A

My copy may be a better one than most of them as the spec sheet for my copy refers to it as "Very Good Sharpness - Super Perfect": https://photos.app.goo.gl/E7xauZmkivLzgEf69
I've never seen such big deviation for an individual copy from the standard SA curve for any MS-Optics/MS-Optical before.

I think it would be worth getting any version of this lens if the cost is not too high especially as a collectible, even though it might not be the best general purpose 35mm lens out there. I enjoy my version II and I think usability is good for an early MS-Optical lens. As a triplet it is definitely not the best when it comes to corner-to-corner sharpness but at least my copy is quite nice overall. I've only used mine on my Sony A7CII and previously just a little bit on my A7C. It's got very saturated colors and it's sharp from wide open but for best corner-to-corner results at infinity I use f8. I also think it works better on a close focus helicoid adapter to allow focusing closer than 0.8m.

With rangefinder cameras there might be some challenges with rangefinder coupling accuracy as is common with MS-Optics lenses. When using on Mirrorless or Live view it doesn't matter as much. My copy has very good hard infinity calibration. I have idea on how well it is calibrated with rangefinder focusing as I only use mirrorless cameras.

Dec 07, 2023 at 12:12 AM
tommmi

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MS-Optic 35mm f3.5 MC Super Triplet Perar (Mark I)

Thanks for the insight, really valuable Unfortunately someone already snatched this lens

Nevertheless, the samples look great. They are sharp but not too clinical. Vignetting is pleasing. I'm a bit worried regarding the RF coupling, though, because I would've been using this mainly on M11. If that's also a problem on other MS-Optic lenses.

What are your thoughts, Juha, in comparison to other MS-Optics 35 mm lenses, would you recommend this or some other lens on that focal length? In terms of small form factor, sharpness and build quality (fragile <--> robust, as j.liam put it). I got my eyes on Apoqualia f1.4 and Apollon f1.3 (36mm) earlier this year but they are also quite hard to find. They are both Sonnar design, if I'm not misunderstood.

I've been thinking LLL 35 8E (double-gauss = Planar?) too, but am genuinely interested in these somewhat exotic lens formulas (Triplet Perar with Tantalum glass) and lenses with certain 'character'. Which I think many Sonnar lenses provide, too.

I might sound a bit contradictory wanting sharpness and character at the same time, but some lenses lack both and are just 'mushy' and uninteresting, while some lenses may have good resolution of microdetails and some interesting color rendition or field curvature at the same. Just to give an example what I meant here. And I'm not for a hunt on perfect sharpness corner-to-corner, corners can be blurry, that's just desired effect

Dec 08, 2023 at 09:07 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MS-Optic 35mm f3.5 MC Super Triplet Perar (Mark I)

tommmi wrote:
Thanks for the insight, really valuable Unfortunately someone already snatched this lens

Nevertheless, the samples look great. They are sharp but not too clinical. Vignetting is pleasing. I'm a bit worried regarding the RF coupling, though, because I would've been using this mainly on M11. If that's also a problem on other MS-Optic lenses.

What are your thoughts, Juha, in comparison to other MS-Optics 35 mm lenses, would you recommend this or some other lens on that focal length? In terms of small form factor, sharpness and build quality (fragile <--> robust, as j.liam put it). I got my eyes
...Show more

Hei tommmi,

Too bad about somebody snatching the lens in the meanwhile About MS-Optics 35mm lenses, I have this Perar and also Apollon 36/1.3 and Apoqualia 35/1.3 Slim II. I have no personal experience with the original Apoqualia 35/1.4. I would highly recommend Apollon 36/1.3 if you can find it, it's perhaps my #1 favorite MS-Optics lens. The older 35/1.4 Apoqualia is too hard to find at a decent price nowadays, availability is very limited and they tend to be going for around 250K yen when available so I've not bought one so far as I would not be willing to pay that much. Apollon is still usually staying at around 120K yen when it appears in the 2nd hand market. I've heard about rangefinder coupling issues with Apollon though and Fred also had some coupling issues with his copy initially.

All of the fast 35-36mm MS-Optics lenses are actually Gauss designs, not Sonnars. His Sonnetar lenses are Sonnar designs and some of the others like Elnomaxim and Aporis are Ernostar designs (Ernostar was like an early version of the design that lead to Sonnar).

I've been into character lenses quite heavily in the last couple of years and I've already added 15 MS-Optics lenses to my set as well as 4 Kistar lenses that can also be counted as modern character lenses based on classic vintage designs. Kistar C/Y lenses are quite big and heavy in comparison to MS-Optics though and the C/Y to E adapter is also relatively big. Also some CV lenses could be counted into this group, like the 35/1.4 Nokton classic and 50/1.5 Heliar classic.

I've not personally tried any LLL lenses yet. Apart from the MS-Optics 35mm options, CV 35/1.4 Nokton classic is also one of my favorites. I have the E-mount version and I have no personal experience with the M-mount version but I think the current version II should be optically pretty much the same as the E-mount version.

I also like lenses that have certain amount of character but I also want them to be usable for infinity shots with certain level of sharpness across the frame when stopped down to f8 or so. Those that can produce pleasant character at wide apertures and nice results stopped down too tend to become my favorites.

Dec 09, 2023 at 10:54 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.