New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Self timer for Leica film bodies

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

I was searching for a self-timer for my Leica MP and found the Walz Self-Timer as an option. Has anyone tried it? If yes, which model is the best among the different variations? Are there any other alternatives worth considering?

Dec 05, 2023 at 02:57 PM
madNbad
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

There are a number of self timers on the market. Waltz made a lot of accessories for cameras, lens shades, filters and as above self timers. When you're looking, make sure you find one that screws into the shutter release. Some came with a cap for the Barnack Leicas that, like Nikon, had a solid release. The other thing to be aware of is many of these remotes have been sitting in a drawer since the 1960's and whatever lubrication they had may be dried out. I've had a few that after letting them drag though the cycle a dozen or so times, worked pretty well.
You could spend big bucks and get a Reveni remote. Works up to a hundred meters away from the trigger!

Dec 05, 2023 at 05:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

Hi Fred,

Most (maybe, all) of the Leica self-timers had a different head. Like this one (below). It has both the 'basket' shape, with inside threads for the shutter button or its housing (no Leicas at my place, atm), and a flat-ish push-pad inside. You also see the 'basket' on a different-again type, with the 'poker' type of end that your image has, but inside of the basket.

Cheers,
Jim

Dec 05, 2023 at 06:11 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

Yes, I have also one of these for my Leica M cameras without self-timer. Bought a Kopil self-timer made in Japan several years ago on ebay for a very good deal. Full metal housing and nearly mint. Came with original blue plastic case and manual. It works very well, but I admit I don't make as much use of it as I anticipated when I bought it.

Dec 05, 2023 at 07:07 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

jcolwell wrote:
Hi Fred,

Most (maybe, all) of the Leica self-timers had a different head. Like this one (below). It has both the 'basket' shape, with inside threads for the shutter button or its housing (no Leicas at my place, atm), and a flat-ish push-pad inside. You also see the 'basket' on a different-again type, with the 'poker' type of end that your image has, but inside of the basket.

Cheers,
Jim

Thanks Jim,
I purchased this one (see below) but based on your images, it may not work on my Leica MP. Is that the case?

Dec 05, 2023 at 07:32 PM
lifeandmylens
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks Jim,
I purchased this one (see below) but based on your images, it may not work on my Leica MP. Is that the case?

Looks like it should work perfectly fine. It screws into the threaded shutter release. I have this one and it works great on my Mís.

Dec 05, 2023 at 07:37 PM
madNbad
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks Jim,

It has the same threads for as a cable release so it should be fine.

Dec 05, 2023 at 07:38 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

lifeandmylens wrote:
Looks like it should work perfectly fine. It screws into the threaded shutter release. I have this one and it works great on my Mís.

---------------------------------------------

madNbad wrote:
It has the same threads for as a cable release so it should be fine.

Great! It should be fun to try it. My family already thinks I've lost it anyways! It may also be a good way to hypnotize my dog!

Dec 05, 2023 at 07:53 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

madNbad wrote:
There are a number of self timers on the market. Waltz made a lot of accessories for cameras, lens shades, filters and as above self timers. When you're looking, make sure you find one that screws into the shutter release. Some came with a cap for the Barnack Leicas that, like Nikon, had a solid release. The other thing to be aware of is many of these remotes have been sitting in a drawer since the 1960's and whatever lubrication they had may be dried out. I've had a few that after letting them drag though the cycle a dozen
...Show more

The Reveni looks cool but perhaps a bit too bulky. Also too much $.

Dec 05, 2023 at 08:23 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

Leica had the APDOO, could just be for the m39 cameras though.

Dec 05, 2023 at 08:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

I'm not sure whether we should feel insulted or disappointed. But obviously Fred has not (yet) been badly influenced by us enough.
The correct answer to getting a self timer for an M, is not to buy some tacky accessory that ruins the classical lines of such a masterpiece. Oh no. The polite thing to do is buy another M that does have a self timer. And if you already have one, get a different one with a self timer.

Dec 05, 2023 at 08:32 PM
gyoung143
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

Desmolicious wrote:
I'm not sure whether we should feel insulted or disappointed. But obviously Fred has not (yet) been badly influenced by us enough.
The correct answer to getting a self timer for an M, is not to buy some tacky accessory that ruins the classical lines of such a masterpiece. Oh no. The polite thing to do is buy another M that does have a self timer. And if you already have one, get a different one with a self timer.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52594394659_76fbbbc3a7_b.jpg

My M3 has a self timer, but I doubt I have used it more than half a dozen times in over 50 years!
If you use one of these screw in to cable release socket gadgets, be very careful with adjustment. The clockwork mech pushes the pin relentlessly in, and if it goes too far might wreck the innards, was a source of repair income when I worked in a shop when these things were common. I certainly wouldn't screw one into a really good camera.

Gerry

Edited on Dec 07, 2023 at 03:40 AM · View previous versions

Dec 06, 2023 at 07:29 AM
lifeandmylens
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

gyoung143 wrote:
My M3 has a self timer, but I doubt I have used it more than half a dozen times in over 50 years!
If you use one of these screw in to cable release socket gadgets, be very careful with adjustment. The clockwork mech pushes the pin relentlessly in, and if it hoes too far might wreck the innards, was a source of repair income when I worked in a shop when these things were common. I certainly wouldn't screw one into a really good camera.

Gerry

I actually agree with this. I'm leery of using the screw in self timer on expensive cameras. While it does work, I'm afraid it pushes the pin too deep in the threaded release. And on mine at least it doesn't seem to have a depth adjustment. Huss mentioned the cameras with self timer and it's a much more elegant way to do self timer shots.

Dec 06, 2023 at 07:33 AM
RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

lifeandmylens wrote:
I actually agree with this. I'm leery of using the screw in self timer on expensive cameras. While it does work, I'm afraid it pushes the pin too deep in the threaded release. And on mine at least it doesn't seem to have a depth adjustment. Huss mentioned the cameras with self timer and it's a much more elegant way to do self timer shots.

Buy another camera @fredmiranda

Dec 06, 2023 at 09:12 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

I appreciate the warning and will be careful with these timers.

Dec 06, 2023 at 10:03 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

Another dull point with external timer turned out for me that it interferes with buttons used on Leica M shutter releases. It is a pain during shooting to remove a fixed button and rubber rings just to install the external timer.

Dec 06, 2023 at 10:20 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

Just get a selfie stick for your MP. I'm sure Leica will sell you their branded version for $795 vs the same thing on Amazon for $5.99

Dec 06, 2023 at 10:41 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

Get an M4. Though not my M4 as I had the self-timer removed

Dec 06, 2023 at 10:54 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

panos.v wrote:
Get an M4. Though not my M4 as I had the self-timer removed

I would never consider buying a film camera just because of a self-timer feature. I actually prefer the clean look of Leica bodies without the timer. The external self-timer is just an option for those rare events I want one.

Dec 06, 2023 at 11:03 AM
lifeandmylens
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

Another (safer) option which has a rather unique "selfie" look is using a threaded cable release. Mostly only an option if you intend to be close to the camera.

Dec 06, 2023 at 12:12 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.