FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Self timer for Leica film bodies

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

lifeandmylens wrote:
Another (safer) option which has a rather unique "selfie" look is using a threaded cable release. Mostly only an option if you intend to be close to the camera.

When checking the threaded cable releases, you'll notice that the pin protrudes quite a bit as well. Therefore, if the threaded one is safe, I don't see why the mechanical one wouldn't be. I asked Leica and was told that both options should work just fine.

Dec 06, 2023 at 06:08 PM
lifeandmylens
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

Fred Miranda wrote:
When checking the threaded cable releases, you'll notice that the pin protrudes quite a bit as well. Therefore, if the threaded one is safe, I don't see why the mechanical one wouldn't be. I asked Leica and was told that both options should work just fine.

Youíll see when the self timer comes, if itís like mine. With the threaded cable release you use your thumb and basically stop pressing when it doesnít depress anymore. With the self timer it just keeps pressing until it physically canít anymore.

If your self timer has a depth adjustment you donít have anything to worry about. I ordered the same one as you from eBay and they sent me this Hanza one instead and told me to keep it and refunded me. Iím curious though if the Walz is better.

Dec 06, 2023 at 06:18 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

lifeandmylens wrote:
Youíll see when the self timer comes, if itís like mine. With the threaded cable release you use your thumb and basically stop pressing when it doesnít depress anymore. With the self timer it just keeps pressing until it physically canít anymore.

If your self timer has a depth adjustment you donít have anything to worry about. I ordered the same one as you from eBay and they sent me this Hanza one instead and told me to keep it and refunded me. Iím curious though if the Walz is better.

Thanks for your thoughts Shawn.
I ordered this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115913733947
Not sure if it's adjustable or even how well it works. Shot in the dark here!

Dec 06, 2023 at 06:20 PM
lifeandmylens
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts Shawn.
I ordered this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115913733947
Not sure if it's adjustable or even how well it works. Shot in the dark here!

Looks like itís adjustable from the instructions! Please update if it is.

Dec 06, 2023 at 06:28 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

lifeandmylens wrote:

It shipped today. I will keep you posted.

Dec 06, 2023 at 06:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gyoung143
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

Fred Miranda wrote:

When you push on a cable release, you will stop when the shutter fires, the clockwork mech won't, it will go on till it runs down or meets 'terminal' resistance, probably too late by then!

Gerry

Dec 07, 2023 at 03:43 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

lifeandmylens wrote:

I just received the Walz and it seems quite robust. You can adjust the length of the release plunger, and I played with it to make sure it doesn't release too much. I tested it on my Fuji X4, and it worked well. I'll try it on the Leica tomorrow. I just need to figure out the minimum length needed to trigger the shutter.

Dec 11, 2023 at 07:32 PM
lifeandmylens
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

Fred Miranda wrote:
I just received the Walz and it seems quite robust. You can adjust the length of the release plunger, and I played with it to make sure it doesn't release too much. I tested it on my Fuji X4, and it worked well. I'll try it on the Leica tomorrow. I just need to figure out the minimum length needed to trigger the shutter.

Thatís great to hear! Sounds like a good one.

Dec 11, 2023 at 07:33 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

lifeandmylens wrote:
Thatís great to hear! Sounds like a good one.

I was able to adjust the Walz to work well on the M2 yesterday. It just comes out the mount needed for the picture to be taken so I believe it's safe to use it all the time. I recommend this brand.

Dec 19, 2023 at 09:46 AM
lifeandmylens
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Self timer for Leica film bodies

Fred Miranda wrote:
I was able to adjust the Walz to work well on the M2 yesterday. It just comes out the mount needed for the picture to be taken so I believe it's safe to use it all the time. I recommend this brand.

I decided take my Hanza apart based on the Walz design and instructions (design seems identical) and sure enough the depth is adjustable. It was just my error not knowing how to adjust it. So thank you for taking the time to try this out and share.

Dec 26, 2023 at 04:33 PM
       end

FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.