end

Leica Q2 Monochrome

theHUN
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

CampK wrote:
Just the de-bayered sensor?

It's this. I've had a mono-converted Sony and it was equally amazing except for a defect that the mono-conversion vendor introduced by accident.

Dec 07, 2023 at 09:21 PM
CampK
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

Johnmj1 wrote:
Get a used Fuji camera and enjoy the wonderful b&w film simulations for a fraction of the cost. They are really remakarkable.

Which one do you suggest?

Dec 08, 2023 at 12:20 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

You can get a used Q2M, as I did. I love using mine, but I canít imagine only having that camera. For example, Iím now in Italy, but the Q2M stayed at home and I convert my files to B&W if I want to. Also the Q doesnít offer the ďrealĒ Leica experience. Apart from its monochrome sensor, the Q is just a really nice and expensive mirrorless camera. The M offers a different style of shooting, but whether you like that or not is another question altogether.

In short, Iíd keep my Sony gear. Maybe rent some Leica stuff or drop by a Leica store and get a sense of using it. And keep in mind that while the files are great, these days you donít need a Leica for the ďLeicaĒ look.

Dec 08, 2023 at 02:55 AM
Photojournoguy

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

Definitely recommend renting for a week or anything more than just a few hours or day to get a sense.

I wonít work to convince you on the M vs Q as that is wholly up to you (and everyone else has been proficient at that), but I can speak to having been in your predicament. Currently use M10M and a 35.

Iím a hobbyist/amateur taking images of just my family. I started with a Sony A73 with some lens overlap as you have (24 - 105G, 40 1.2 Voigt, 85 1.8 and 24 1.4 GM). My most used was the manual 40 1.2 followed by 24 1.4.

I kept my Sony gear while trying the mono and ended up selling it ALL after six months of it collecting dust after having abandoned it cold turkey. Havenít looked back since and Iím starting year 3.

What I feel are key things to think about are:
- are you okay leading with your heart here vs head? Logically it makes no sense but it settles me from an artistic point of view.
- are you okay giving up some images? Not every subject or scene lends itself to B&W. Does that bring peace? Does the restriction of giving up some potential give you extreme FOMO? Can you shoot a scene and handle potentially deleting all images from that scene?
- can you shoot selfishly? I am the main consumer of my output as a hobbyist. If family or friends like what I do, great. If not, great. It wonít change how I approach photography.
- if you do any paid gigs, can you still accept shooting selfishly? I donít but if someone paid me, itís because they want what I offer, which is the way I see and what appeals to me to press the shutter. And it has to be in B&W as that is what causes me to do the first two things.

If someone wants color, theyíll have to settle for cell phone snapshots I take for sharing with the grandparents, etc.

Does it work for anyone around me? Not sure I havenít asked. But I never will because I donít care. I do this for me and cherry on top if anyone out there (including my kids once grown) appreciate what I do to any extent.

My number 1 greatest benefit to dedicating myself to B&W is that it has allowed me to really hone in, embrace and grow my artistic voice in ways I couldnít by flip flopping between color and B&W choices. It has allowed me to grow with much room to continue to do so. Accepting a limited view of the world is a requirement before being able to embrace it and allow it to shape you from image output to how you feel picking up the camera to how you feel opening up Lightroom, and so on.

Not all pictures I take prove it but there is definitely a tonality that I couldnít achieve from Sony. Imagine will be there with a Q to slightly lesser extent. But it is real, to me at least.

Dec 08, 2023 at 11:34 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

Photojournoguy wrote:
Definitely recommend renting for a week or anything more than just a few hours or day to get a sense.

I wonít work to convince you on the M vs Q as that is wholly up to you (and everyone else has been proficient at that), but I can speak to having been in your predicament. Currently use M10M and a 35.

Iím a hobbyist/amateur taking images of just my family. I started with a Sony A73 with some lens overlap as you have (24 - 105G, 40 1.2 Voigt, 85 1.8 and 24 1.4 GM). My most used was the manual
...Show more

I couldnít do what you did, but it definitely is right for you. Great portfolio of family images!

Dec 09, 2023 at 01:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CampK
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

Photojournoguy wrote:

Iím a hobbyist/amateur taking images of just my family. I started with a Sony A73 with some lens overlap as you have (24 - 105G, 40 1.2 Voigt, 85 1.8 and 24 1.4 GM). My most used was the manual
...Show more

This is really helpful thanks! You're talking my language here and it resonates with me for sure.

Dec 09, 2023 at 09:16 AM
Photojournoguy

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

CampK wrote:
This is really helpful thanks! You're talking my language here and it resonates with me for sure.

Of course!

If you go through my IG, youíll see where I went from mix of BW and color to all BW. I know itís crappy resolution but look at the BW images mixed with color which were taken by the Sony A73 and the micro 4/3 Panasonic G85 at the very beginning. I see a tonality difference in trying to be objective, interesting as my post processing preferences have not changed dramatically between using the different models as time went on. Larger (and more recent examples) on my site, of which only literally a few were NOT captured using M10M.

Specific to the M10M at least (canít speak to the Q), some images definitely have a Ďmedium formatí look and feel as well. Not all, but when itís present, itís present.

Also itís not like I said to myself, I want to randomly commit to B&W because Ďit sounds goodí and backend it by shoehorning at any cost. What attracts me to photograph naturally lends itself to B&W: shapes, graphics, lines, contrast, shadows vs highlights, etc. Thatís why committing myself to the medium has only opened opportunities.

B&W restricts my output as mentioned and manual focus only also only further restricts my output. Especially with kids as my subject. If I donít get a picture or it doesnít turn out, I take it as a learning experience and no one is the wiser. Out of the 50 gazillion milliseconds in the day, Iíve accepted to only appreciate the ones I want to work at capturing vs. feeling like I need to diary every millisecond of life.

Dec 09, 2023 at 10:14 AM
Photojournoguy

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

johnvanr wrote:
I couldnít do what you did, but it definitely is right for you. Great portfolio of family images!

Thatís very kind! Itís great you know that about yourself, a sense of self-assuredness and general/strong Ďsense of selfí will make a decision like this clear over a period of mulling it over, I believe.

Within my first five minutes of picking up the M10M, I knew instantly the way of picture taking is what I wanted and that night looking at first files that the B&W sensor delivers in spades. Never flip flopped comparing with my Sony again from that moment.

Dec 09, 2023 at 10:17 AM
Tobin28
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

Who are your favourite photographers and what kind of photography are you doing?

Dec 09, 2023 at 08:28 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.