New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Leica Q2 Monochrome

CampK
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

Hi all ... after years and years of amateur photography, I find myself a little bored. Anyone else experience that? Lately, I've found myself converting everything in post to monochrome. I have always loved the romance of B&W. Now after falling down the Leica YouTube rabbit hole, I'm tempted to swap out my Sony kit (A7RIV, Sony 135 GM, 40 1.2 Voit, and Sony 24-105 G) for the Leica Q2M.

If I had the extra 6k, I'd just buy the Q2M but I don't. And I love the Sony kit. So my questions:

Anyone else go through this dilemma? Anyone make this kind of switch and how did it go for you? And then generally, who here shoots or has shot with the Q2M and what has your experience been like?

Always love the honest, reliable, and straightforward comments of FM users.

Thanks
CampK

Dec 05, 2023 at 09:51 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

You would be giving up so much by having the Q2-M, losing color when appropriate, only having a single FL, much poorer AF. Why not shoot your A7RIV with the Monochrome Picture Style for a while first. This will give you a good idea on how much you enjoy shooting in B&W.

Also, invest in some good monochrome editing software. You may be surprised to find out how useful it is to have color information in the file when editing for B&W. The Leica Monochrome sensor has some advantages in DR and noise in low light. But B&W images seem to tolerate noise better than color even when converted.

For me a Q2-M camera would be an entertaining 2nd or even 3rd camera. Too limiting to be my only camera.

Dec 05, 2023 at 10:42 AM
CampK
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

Thanks. I do use Silver FX. You're right, it would be giving up a lot

Dec 05, 2023 at 11:06 AM
CampK
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

But also, the "limits" are what draw me in. Perhaps a marketing ploy and a temptation to defeat boredom with new gear!

Dec 05, 2023 at 11:09 AM
Matt Kerby
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

Try a used m10 and 35FLE or 28 cron for about the same price then convert to B&W. Wha, uh ahhhh
I agree, a mono is a great 2nd body.

Dec 05, 2023 at 11:10 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

CampK wrote:
But also, the "limits" are what draw me in. Perhaps a marketing ploy and a temptation to defeat boredom with new gear!

For me getting an M camera and a couple of Leica lenses has been a wonderful addition to my photographic hobby. I highly recommend it. I do a lot of converting to B&W with my M10 and M11 files. But the color is equally rewarding because of the unique qualities in the M camera files. The M shooting experience is entirely different than the Q(1,2,3) experience, which I find to be a less feature rich mirrorless camera experience. The M cameras are unique and offer a point of view and a look not available in any other system. It is inspiring.

If you were closer I would lend you my M10-P and my 35mm Summilux ASPH to you could see if you really do "click" with the Leica system.

Here is a nice short video from the guys at Leica store Miami on this very subject:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/XKGXCNSlHnE

Dec 05, 2023 at 01:32 PM
CampK
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

Thanks! I'll check out the video. Is the different experience due to the fact it's a rangefinder or something else?

Dec 05, 2023 at 01:45 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

CampK wrote:
Thanks! I'll check out the video. Is the different experience due to the fact it's a rangefinder or something else?

Honestly the experience differences go very deep.

Yes, the range finder is the most obvious one. It is very different, but effective and fun. The good news is that with the EVF you can have it both ways.

Manual focus I guess would be the next big difference. But the camera and lenses were designed to make this the best MF experience available. I very much enjoy the processes involved.

Then there are the M lenses which are rich in both modern and legacy versions. The build quality and ergonomics are amazing. There are legacy lenses with very unique rendering, all the way through to current APO versions which are optically the best on the market.

The M body is unique, and the build quality is just amazing. This is backed up with a wonderfully simple, well laid out interface to its many features.

Then there is the small sizes of the lenses and the body. This camera is so easy to take with you. I end up having it with me daily.

All of this is backed up by a very deep and active used market that helps somewhat to offset the expensive nature of Leica. I do still love my A1 and my GM lenses. I use them for the kinds of photography where that level of performance and long lens choices requires it.

Lastly is the image quality that between the Leica lenses and the M11 sensor (highest rated IQ for 35mm there is). Simply a joy to work with.

(PS. You will notice that so much of what inspires me in the Leica system is not present in the Q cameras.)

Dec 05, 2023 at 02:20 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

CampK wrote:
Hi all ... after years and years of amateur photography, I find myself a little bored. Anyone else experience that? Lately, I've found myself converting everything in post to monochrome. I have always loved the romance of B&W. Now after falling down the Leica YouTube rabbit hole, I'm tempted to swap out my Sony kit (A7RIV, Sony 135 GM, 40 1.2 Voit, and Sony 24-105 G) for the Leica Q2M.

If I had the extra 6k, I'd just buy the Q2M but I don't. And I love the Sony kit. So my questions:

Anyone else go through this dilemma? Anyone make this
...Show more

What do you think youíll gain going with the Q2M? You will lose a lot by switching from your Sony system.

Dec 05, 2023 at 02:28 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

My Q2M is by far my favourite of the Q cameras. The files are sublime and the camera is a joy to use.

But it wouldn't be my only camera because 28mm can't be my only focal length. If 28mm is really your goto shooting length then yes. Otherwise no.

A Q3M will come. And then the prices of lightly used Q2M's will come down. Shoot in a Mono profile until then and then grab one.

Gordon

Dec 05, 2023 at 07:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

theHUN
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

The Q2M has certain quirks you should be aware of.

1. Shooting against the sun, certain angles will cause a nasty pattern (from sensor reflections?) in your image. It can be minimized by using wider apertures or by paying attention to composition.
2. Long exposure noise reduction cannot be turned off and maximum exposure time is also capped depending on ISO. It's not the end of the world, but if you are like me, this will be a bit annoying.

Having said that, if you are committed to monochrome and if you love 28 mm, the Q2M rocks. It was my camera of choice on a recent summit attempt of Denali (thread here), and it will most likely be my choice when I try again in 2025.

I still have my A7R3, but I only use it for when I need >28 mm and for dedicated macro.

Dec 05, 2023 at 08:33 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

If you are a B&W photographer then a mono camera is the perfect tool. I have an M 10 Mono and I had the original M9 Mono for 9 years before that. I also have a pair of M 10s that I mostly use for my professional work. When I fully retire I will probably sell my 2 M 10s and sell most of my lenses. I will keep the M 10 Mono and my 35 Summilux FLE and my 24 2.8 Elmarit. The M10 Mono fits the way I see and work and there is not a better tool to capture my vision. The files are unlike anything I can get from a color sensor. So then the question is are you a B&W photographer? If so then it's a no brainer.

Dec 06, 2023 at 07:01 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

Not a Q2m in this piece but a good piece on why a Leice M monochrom and one lens.

Dec 06, 2023 at 07:13 AM
RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

The M11m is my favorite camera I own- I canít always use it though- Sometimes I want or need color-

I own multiple Leica bodies and I also own a Sony A7rv that I use mostly for work. I donít love it- Itís a fantastic camera and the lenses, especially- the 24 1.4 are incredible. I just donít love using it-

Case in point- Photos an hour or so apart - I love both images for very different reasons- The iPhone is an amazing camera though so that could be your color option.

I much prefer shooting B&W on a mono camera so if thatís really your passion- Go for it. The Q2m is amazing-

Good Luck

LEICA M11 Monochrom    Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/35 ASPH. lens    35mm    f/2.4    1/12000s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

iPhone 15 Pro    iPhone 15 Pro back triple camera 6.86mm f/1.78 lens    7mm    f/1.8    1/91s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 06, 2023 at 09:02 AM
CampK
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

Love those images! Great feedback all, I really do appreciate it. So it's the comments about the "sublime files" and files "unlike anything else" that are seductive. But if you'll indulge me, can anyone explain specifically what it is about the files? Just the de-bayered sensor? Leica magic? Super sharp? Something else?

Dec 06, 2023 at 10:15 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

I think it's like trying to describe the taste of say an apple to someone that has never tasted an apple. You wont know for sure until you try it. With the M 10 Mono there is just so much clean info in the shadows. Unlike any other sensor I have shot with and I've shot and processed with a bunch of different files form Canon, Fuji, Sony and Nikon.

Dec 06, 2023 at 10:23 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

I shoot with the Q2 (not that much) and M10R and the "lowly" M246 mono.

I do BOTH color conversions and dedicated mono shooting, and find that the files on the dedicated mono essentially gain you about 1.5 stops. The reason is that you aren't restricting your light from reaching your sensor through the BFA, so you get all the energy of the light, rather than a restricted portion going through the respective R GG B array. This is part of where the mono really can put together more acutance in the files. That, and less noise (i.e. Allen's comment about clean info).

No matter what color BFA you are using (Sony, Canon, Leica, Fuji, etc.), you are restricting your light. The issue is giving up light vs. giving up features. When you shoot anything with a BFA, you are giving up light. Whether or not that is meaningful to one person vs. another (yes, I do BFA conversions, too) is subjective. But, I can say that when I shoot indoor concerts ... easily, the files of the mono are better than the files of the BFA conversions. Sunny 16 stuff, there's plenty of light and the diff isn't that noticeable since there's plenty of signal to work with as it makes its way past the BFA.

I see you're in Kansas ... if TOTO gets over by St. Louis sometime, I can let let you take a ride on the Q2 and the M246 (mono) if you like.

Edited on Dec 06, 2023 at 11:08 PM · View previous versions

Dec 06, 2023 at 11:03 PM
CampK
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

RustyBug wrote:
I shoot with the Q2 (not that much) and M10R and the "lowly" M246 mono.

I do BOTH color conversions and dedicated mono shooting, and find that the files on the dedicated mono essentially gain you about 1.5 stops. The reason is that you aren't restricting your light from reaching your sensor through the BFA, so you get all the energy of the light, rather than a restricted portion going through the respective R GG B array. This is part of where the mono really can put together more acutance in the files. That, and less noise (i.e. Allen's comment about
...Show more

I'll let you know if I cross the border into foreign territory!

Dec 06, 2023 at 11:07 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

CampK wrote:
I'll let you know if I cross the border into foreign territory!

Dec 06, 2023 at 11:08 PM
Johnmj1

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica Q2 Monochrome

Get a used Fuji camera and enjoy the wonderful b&w film simulations for a fraction of the cost. They are really remakarkable.

Dec 07, 2023 at 07:22 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.