New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Open up Canon nFD 100mm f2.0?

ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Open up Canon nFD 100mm f2.0?

I picked up a 100/2 locally for a low price, that aside from some haze behind the front element, is in amazing condition. I've wanted this lens for years, couldn't pass the deal up.
Now that I have it in my hands, I'm seeing that the front element doesn't simply pop out like it can on many other lenses... From the limited I have found online (10 year old Flickr discussion), you have to go in from the other side...

Anybody have any advice or experience with this, before I lose my mind lol....

Edited on Dec 05, 2023 at 06:48 AM · View previous versions

Dec 04, 2023 at 05:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Open up Canon nFD 100mm f2.0?

I don't have personal experience with this lens, but it seems to have the standard 'notches' in the front-element securing ring, for fitting a lens wrench (lens spanner), and so remove the securing ring. The screen shot below shows what appears to be one of the two notches on your lens. A quick look at other nFD 100/2 lenses on eBay shows that they definitely have the notches.

OTOH, to have online conversations about needing to go in from the back, suggests that this simple solution is wrong. IDK.

P.S. If it does take a lens wrench to remove the front element, then be cautious; the "lens wrench" could also be named the "lens scratcher".

Dec 05, 2023 at 05:48 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Open up Canon nFD 100mm f2.0?

That was my initial thought as well. I VERY CAREFULLY loosened than retaining ring, but it only turned a few rotations before totally freezing up. I don't THINK that's the way in, but I could be wrong.

Dec 05, 2023 at 06:08 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Open up Canon nFD 100mm f2.0?

Yeah. That's something you don't want to mess up.

Dec 05, 2023 at 06:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Open up Canon nFD 100mm f2.0?

Well, I got it open. The coating on the front side of the second element (from the front) is gross. Any suggestions if I were to want to strip the coating on that surface to at least make it uniform?

Second problem, wow there's like 10000 tiny bearings. Getting those back where they need to be is going to be fun. I have them all, but they aren't where they came from.

Third problem. Little spring on the lens lock button shot out, bounced off my face and it's gone lol. I'll salvage another from a junk lens easy enough.

I'll take my time getting this back together, but yeah you 100% have to come from the rear on this lens.

Dec 05, 2023 at 08:29 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Open up Canon nFD 100mm f2.0?

You are very brave. I had to take apart a 600/4.5 to fix a mount issue and swore I'd never open up another FD lens.

About your coating problem- if I'm not mistaken, the second and third elements in are a cemented pair. I'd be more worried about damaging that than any uneven coating.

Dec 06, 2023 at 10:18 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Open up Canon nFD 100mm f2.0?

ISO1600 wrote:
Well, I got it open. The coating on the front side of the second element (from the front) is gross. Any suggestions if I were to want to strip the coating on that surface to at least make it uniform?

Second problem, wow there's like 10000 tiny bearings. Getting those back where they need to be is going to be fun. I have them all, but they aren't where they came from.

Third problem. Little spring on the lens lock button shot out, bounced off my face and it's gone lol. I'll salvage another from a junk lens easy enough.

I'll take
...Show more

I recall recently reading a blog post by someone recounting their experience trying to self-service an FD lens back when the system was current, and having a ton of tiny bearings all over the place. They took it to Canon to be properly reassembled and the tech asked them: "when you opened it, bearings go all over the place?"

Apparently the new FD mount lenses were a PITA to service...

Regarding the coating - there's a guy in Taiwan who will strip/polish off the coating. I inquired after I scuffed up a Leica front element. Cost would have been around $200, so probably not worth it for this lens. He does not apply a new coating. At the time he seemed to be pretty busy restoring costly and rare vintage collectible lenses, so apparently has a decent reputation.

Dec 07, 2023 at 01:32 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Open up Canon nFD 100mm f2.0?

rscheffler wrote:
I recall recently reading a blog post by someone recounting their experience trying to self-service an FD lens back when the system was current, and having a ton of tiny bearings all over the place. They took it to Canon to be properly reassembled and the tech asked them: "when you opened it, bearings go all over the place?"

Apparently the new FD mount lenses were a PITA to service...

Regarding the coating - there's a guy in Taiwan who will strip/polish off the coating. I inquired after I scuffed up a Leica front element. Cost would have been around $200,
...Show more

Have you seen what a good clean NFD 100/2 goes for these days? This is not a cheap lens. I only have $230 into it, so spending a little more to make the elements clean and uniform wouldn't upset me.

Dec 30, 2023 at 05:54 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.