New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

35mm APO-Summicron 35mm f2 Lens Cap

chrislee
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 35mm APO-Summicron 35mm f2 Lens Cap

I love this new lens! But the lens cap is total crap. It won't stay on hardly at all. Does anyone know of any kind of fix for this?

Thanks!
Chris

Dec 03, 2023 at 12:08 PM
chrislee
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 35mm APO-Summicron 35mm f2 Lens Cap

Seriously guys? No one has any suggestions? I guess I'll try to buy a new one if I can find it....

Dec 04, 2023 at 10:53 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 35mm APO-Summicron 35mm f2 Lens Cap

I use that metal lens cap on my Leica 35/1.4 FLE and it stays firm on it.
Perhaps you could apply a thicker felt inside.

Dec 04, 2023 at 11:00 AM
964car

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 35mm APO-Summicron 35mm f2 Lens Cap

I own the 35 APO - my current favorite - and many other Leica lenses and the first thing I've done with all my lenses is #1) install a filter for lens protection, then #2) put the lens cap back in the box for storage.

Lens caps just get in the way of shooting and make for one more step separating you between getting the shot and missing it. To each their own but do you want to risk being like this guy?

Dec 04, 2023 at 03:42 PM
chrislee
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 35mm APO-Summicron 35mm f2 Lens Cap

Thanks Fred for the reply.

And 964car, it's way too late for me on that one

Dec 04, 2023 at 05:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 35mm APO-Summicron 35mm f2 Lens Cap

964car wrote:
I own the 35 APO - my current favorite - and many other Leica lenses and the first thing I've done with all my lenses is #1) install a filter for lens protection, then #2) put the lens cap back in the box for storage.

Lens caps just get in the way of shooting and make for one more step separating you between getting the shot and missing it. To each their own but do you want to risk being like this guy?

That was funny. I wonder if he did this on purpose for the video? If not, imaging his face when reviewing the pictures!

Dec 04, 2023 at 06:34 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 35mm APO-Summicron 35mm f2 Lens Cap

964car wrote:

That is the new M6, and Leica's official fix for the film scratching. If you don't take a photo, you won't worry about scratching film. Genius really.

Dec 04, 2023 at 06:38 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 35mm APO-Summicron 35mm f2 Lens Cap

964car wrote:

I admit it. I have done that, and I know I am not alone in that here on FM!

Is your 964car ID related to the Porsche model?

Dec 04, 2023 at 07:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom Conte
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 35mm APO-Summicron 35mm f2 Lens Cap

1bwana1 wrote:

If not, that's a hell of a coincidence

Dec 04, 2023 at 08:57 PM
964car

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 35mm APO-Summicron 35mm f2 Lens Cap

1bwana1 wrote:
I admit it. I have done that, and I know I am not alone in that here on FM!

Guilty as charged.

Dec 04, 2023 at 10:24 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 35mm APO-Summicron 35mm f2 Lens Cap

964car wrote:
Guilty as charged.

I have a lot of good memories driving 964 GT3 cars back in the day.

Do you track yours?

Dec 04, 2023 at 10:33 PM
964car

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 35mm APO-Summicron 35mm f2 Lens Cap

1bwana1 wrote:
I have a lot of good memories driving 964 GT3 cars back in the day.

Do you track yours?

Did you mean 996 GT3? The GT3 designation wasn't launched till 1999 with the 996, two generations after the 964.

No, I don't track my cars. The valuations of these classic 911's have risen so much in the past decade that I'm being more cautious with where and when I drive/park mine. They aren't as easy to replace anymore.

Dec 04, 2023 at 10:56 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 35mm APO-Summicron 35mm f2 Lens Cap

964car wrote:
Did you mean 996 GT3? The GT3 designation wasn't launched till 1999 with the 996, two generations after the 964.

No, I don't track my cars. The valuations of these classic 911's have risen so much in the past decade that I'm being more cautious with where and when I drive/park mine. They aren't as easy to replace anymore.

No I meant 964 body cars built to IMSA and international GT3 race rules. These were built by the factory in both GT3 and GT2 rule cars. The team I was driving for in 1996 and 1997 had two of the GT3 fit cars. I think Porsche called them 3.8L RSR models and had RS models for the street.

I never followed the collector car market so don't know the subtleties
of how these cars are classified in that market. But I did also spend time driving the 996 GT3 track cars, and actually owned a white 996 GT3 street version among the other street 911 variants I have owned at various times.

Dec 04, 2023 at 11:41 PM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 35mm APO-Summicron 35mm f2 Lens Cap

This past weekend’s you-tube presentation, on the Red Dot Forum channel, included a warning that the lining in the press-on metal lens caps can leave a ring on the lens, if the lens is stored long-term with the cap on the lens. This may not have been in reference to any specific lens, but, was a warning that I should not store my Thambar-M 90 with the metal cap pressed into place. (I have no idea when I will be able to afford an APO Summicron-M 35mm ASPH, but, am paying attention to user reports and internet discussions.)

Dec 05, 2023 at 08:54 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 35mm APO-Summicron 35mm f2 Lens Cap

These Kaiser plastic press-on lens caps exist in multiple sizes, for those not liking the center-pinch style. The lanyard loop can be positioned so that it will show, in the viewfinder’s field of view, if left in place.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Kaiser%20lens%20cap&Submit=Search%20B%26H%20Photo&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&bhs=t

To be clear, these Kaiser press-fit caps are sized by their internal diameter, so, the user must measure the outer diameter of the lens, hood, or filter over which the cap is to be placed. They do not appear to be as deep as some of the Leica-supplied press-fit metal caps.

Dec 05, 2023 at 09:40 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.