Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Best Current M/VM to Sony E Adapter Options?

Doppler9000

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Current M/VM to Sony E Adapter Options?

I am wondering what the best current options are.

Any insights into the current TTArtisan units?

TIA

Edited on Dec 02, 2023 at 07:22 PM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2023 at 07:02 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Current M/VM to Sony E Adapter Options?

Fotasy M/NEX (E-) adapter. Cheap and works well for me since 10 years.

Dec 02, 2023 at 07:18 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Current M/VM to Sony E Adapter Options?

My choice is Rayqual for best thickness-accuracy, build quality, baffles etc. They are also pretty light at around 40g. For helicoid adapter my favorite is Voigtländer VM-E close focus adapter II which is about 70-75g and about 50g lighter than version I. Very well built, but very slightly thinner than spec at infinity locked position.

Most adapters are a bit too thin and then the lenses will focus beyond infinity and hard infinity can't be utilized etc. For any lenses with floating elements it would also be important to have correct adapter thickness for best results. Rayqual adapters are the only ones that I know that try hard to keep spec-accurate thickness and that's important for me as I like to utilize hard infinity a lot with all the lenses that it can be utilized with.

Some lenses might not be able to reach ideal focus distance at hard infinity with Rayqual adapters so then it's also good to have a thinner adapter as an alternative.

TTArtisan 6-bit adapter is the thinnest adapter I've ever seen so it couldn't replace my Rayqual but it is nice to have the focal length selector on the adapter.

Dec 02, 2023 at 07:56 PM
Doppler9000

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Current M/VM to Sony E Adapter Options?

Juha Kannisto wrote:
My choice is Rayqual for best thickness-accuracy, build quality, baffles etc. They are also pretty light at around 40g. For helicoid adapter my favorite is Voigtländer VM-E close focus adapter II which is about 70-75g and about 50g lighter than version I. Very well built, but very slightly thinner than spec at infinity locked position..

Have you tried the Shoten helicoid adapters?

Dec 02, 2023 at 10:11 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Current M/VM to Sony E Adapter Options?

Doppler9000 wrote:
Have you tried the Shoten helicoid adapters?

Yes, I have one for M-E and one for M-L(for Sigma fp). I think they are quite smooth in use but I prefer the Voigtländer close focus adapter II. Also the Shoten adapter for M-L is super tight with lens connections, some lenses have to be squeezed hard to lock them into the adapter properly so I don't have as high trust in Shoten adapter quality/consistency.

Dec 02, 2023 at 10:18 PM
Doppler9000

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Current M/VM to Sony E Adapter Options?

Juha Kannisto wrote:
Yes, I have one for M-E and one for M-L(for Sigma fp). I think they are quite smooth in use but I prefer the Voigtländer close focus adapter II. Also the Shoten adapter for M-L is super tight with lens connections, some lenses have to be squeezed hard to lock them into the adapter properly so I don't have as high trust in Shoten adapter quality/consistency.

Thank you so much - this is extremely helpful.

Dec 02, 2023 at 10:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Morfeus
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Current M/VM to Sony E Adapter Options?

The best adapters have always been the ones from Novoflex. Yes, they are pricy, but nothing comes close to them in terms of built quality and precision.

Dec 03, 2023 at 03:56 PM
Maknof
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Current M/VM to Sony E Adapter Options?

When i used Sony bodies the best m-mount adapter was a Kipon one, whithout elycoid.
It gave hard stop sharp infinity on all lenses. They are not cheap for being made in China.
And no internal reflexes or light leacks throught the mount.

Novoflex were a little shorter, and sharpest infinity was always a little before hard stop.
Still no reflexes or leacks.

Dec 06, 2023 at 04:47 PM
tri_fin
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Current M/VM to Sony E Adapter Options?

I used and recommended the novoflex adapters but whilst trying long exposures I found my novoflex had a light leak whereas my hawks factory helicoid adapter did not. Really unexpected. I now use the Voigtlander helicoid v2 - really nice.

Dec 08, 2023 at 04:36 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Current M/VM to Sony E Adapter Options?

Doppler9000 wrote:
Any insights into the current TTArtisan units?

TIA

I got one of those a couple of years ago and it works, but then I read a few reports from people who said that it had leaked oil onto their lenses so I stopped using it. I've been very happy with the Voigtländer close-focus helicoid although it's quite expensive.

Dec 08, 2023 at 06:46 AM
BastianK
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best Current M/VM to Sony E Adapter Options?

Juha Kannisto wrote:
TTArtisan 6-bit adapter is the thinnest adapter I've ever seen so it couldn't replace my Rayqual but it is nice to have the focal length selector on the adapter.

The latest ones have shims on the inside.
I bought two and now have one with perfect length.

Dec 08, 2023 at 07:12 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.