New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Leica M11 and SD Cards

1bwana1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica M11 and SD Cards

A couple of weeks ago I had my M11 freeze for the first time. I think it was related to the SD Card I was using. So, I switched to another copy of the same card, and had another freeze. These were the same Sony 64gb USH-II G v90 cards rated for R:300mb/s, W:299 mb/s. I had used these cards in my M10 for two years, and in my M11 for one year without an freezes. This situation caused me to do some research on the M11 and SD card issues.

I found this article on the subject: https://alikgriffin.com/best-memory-cards-leica-m11/

Based on the article, and because the cards were heavily discounted for Black Friday I ordered two of the Lexar 128gb USH-II v60 cards, R;280mb/s, W:210gb/s. They arrived two days ago and I have been using them since. The M11 seems stable so far. However what has intrigued me is that although these new Lexar cards are rated as slower than the Sony G cards (but up the fastest speed of the M11) I was using prior, the performance on the M11 is much faster. I mean noticeably faster by a big margin. This is true in writing, reading, deleting, and formatting.

The Sony cards are a few years old, and have many, many cycles of delete and format on them. Maybe they have degraded over that time. However they still seem to perform as they always have in my Sony A1 camera.

It is also interesting that these lexar cards are on the M11 recommended list, and the Sony cards are not.

Anyone have ideas on what this incongruity may be about?

Dec 01, 2023 at 01:43 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica M11 and SD Cards

Additional Info.

It occured to me that I had done the M11 2.0.2 firmware upgrade the same day I switched cards. I thought that maybe the firmware was responsible for the increased performance. So, I tested the cards side by side with the new firmware. Nope, the same dramatic speed and smoothness differences still exist. It is like my M11 is a new, faster, and smoother operating camera with the Lexar cards. I hope they prove to be stable as far as freezing goes too.

Dec 01, 2023 at 01:56 PM
tommmi

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica M11 and SD Cards

When I bought my M11, based on that same article, I ended up buying Lexar card for it. Freezed only once and I think it wasn't because of memory card.

Dec 01, 2023 at 02:27 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica M11 and SD Cards

1bwana1 wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I had my M11 freeze for the first time. I think it was related to the SD Card I was using. So, I switched to another copy of the same card, and had another freeze. These were the same Sony 64gb USH-II G v90 cards rated for R:300mb/s, W:299 mb/s. I had used these cards in my M10 for two years, and in my M11 for one year without an freezes. This situation caused me to do some research on the M11 and SD card issues.

I found this article on the subject: https://alikgriffin.com/best-memory-cards-leica-m11/

Based
...Show more

Might be worth freshening up your much used Sony cards through the SD Card Formatter app:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

No idea if this will help with your Sony card M11 situation. I haven't had problems using my Sony cards on the M11, but others have reported problems, so IMO definitely something to keep in mind.

I think David Farkus, owner of Leica Store Miami mentioned in one of his RedDotForum videos, he uses Lexar cards successfully for years.

Dec 02, 2023 at 11:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica M11 and SD Cards

LBJ2 wrote:
Might be worth freshening up your much used Sony cards through the SD Card Formatter app:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

No idea if this will help with your Sony card M11 situation. I haven't had problems using my Sony cards on the M11, but others have reported problems, so IMO definitely something to keep in mind.

I think David Farkus, owner of Leica Store Miami mentioned in one of his RedDotForum videos, he uses Lexar cards successfully for years.

I have moved the Sony cards over to be used with my A1, and formatted them in that camera. They are very fast on the Sony so all seems to be good with them right now. I use a pair of these when shooting subjects that don't require super fast frame rates. I have a pair of expensive CFEXPRESS-A cards which I reserve for those times. I don't want to wear those out.

Dec 02, 2023 at 11:27 AM
TimHyde
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica M11 and SD Cards

David Farkas mentioned on the Red Dot Camera Talk video last night that the Sony cards are causing some problems with recent M cameras and they are probably best avoided.

Dec 03, 2023 at 07:03 AM
tommmi

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica M11 and SD Cards

M11 didn't like modified EXIF data. I usually transfer photos first to my Mac and then use exiftool to change the correct lens information to the files, and then just delete the files within camera after re-inserting the card.

Today I used exiftool first on the files on SD card, and after re-inserting the card to the camera and hitting 'Play' it displayed just blank (black) screen with file count number at the bottom and gave an card error. I navigated the menu to format the card but it didn't recognize the card at all. Rebooted the camera, straight to the format menu and successfully re-formatted the card in camera. Now it works just fine.

Just to keep in mind that one shall not modify the files on the SD card

Dec 26, 2023 at 05:57 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica M11 and SD Cards

^^^^ good advise^^^^

Dec 26, 2023 at 09:04 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.