New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

optical spot

LarryBeemer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · optical spot

I am contemplating using an optical spot attachment to cast various shadows on backgrounds as well as experimanting with concentrated lighting techniques. I am considering the Westcott Optical Spot by Lindsay Adler and was wondering if anyone has or is using this attachment. I've seen other, cheaper alternatives as well but, as is often the case, "cheaper" is not necessarily better.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

©¿©
LB

Nov 30, 2023 at 09:50 PM
PJphoto

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · optical spot

I've used and own a number, including the Lindsay Adler Westcott one. They all, more or less, do the same thing.

What the Lindsay Adler unit gets really right is the inbuilt petals that allow you to control the projection without a gobo (i.e. if you want the sharp shadow but want to adjust the projection to something other than a circle). It is however not the only unit to have this feature. As to the quality, the Westcott unit is pretty delicate and much lower quality than some other optical spots that I own and I personally think it is overpriced when you consider the quality. It should be noted that delicacy doesn't impact its performance which is great - you just have to be careful with it vs. some of the others which are built like tanks.

If you look around, you will be able to find the exact same unit without the case for considerably less and at a price that I think reflects the build quality. I don't know whether Westcott merely ordered and branded theirs from a Chinese factory (claims about LA design aside) or whether the factory that makes them for Westcott did an extra run and gave them another name.

Dec 01, 2023 at 09:41 AM
LarryBeemer
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · optical spot

PJphoto wrote:
I've used and own a number, including the Lindsay Adler Westcott one. They all, more or less, do the same thing.

What the Lindsay Adler unit gets really right is the inbuilt petals that allow you to control the projection without a gobo (i.e. if you want the sharp shadow but want to adjust the projection to something other than a circle). It is however not the only unit to have this feature. As to the quality, the Westcott unit is pretty delicate and much lower quality than some other optical spots that I own and I personally think it is
...Show more

Thanks for the response.
I agree that the Westcott unit is rather pricey which is why I was wondering about other alternatives. I have seen several other units by several other manufacturer names on Amazon that are half the price but was wondering about their build and performance quality. Also wondering about adding additional gobos to any of these units in the future.

I have not seen the Adler kit listed without the case unless it's promoted as a different brand name and I'm just missing it. Feel free to drop some names of units you would recommend. Also, is there a lens focal length you would recommend as a "general use" lens? I'll be using this primarily for product photography as opposed to a "people" application.

Thanks again!
©¿©
LB

Dec 01, 2023 at 11:13 AM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · optical spot

The “Lindsay Adler” spot is actually the Jinbei DP-06. Jinbei is Westcott’s manufacturer and makes their strobes as well.

https://www.jinbei-deutschland.de/en/products/dp-o6-optical-focus-spot-snooter-2261

Dec 02, 2023 at 06:57 AM
LarryBeemer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · optical spot

jlafferty wrote:
The “Lindsay Adler” spot is actually the Jinbei DP-06. Jinbei is Westcott’s manufacturer and makes their strobes as well.

https://www.jinbei-deutschland.de/en/products/dp-o6-optical-focus-spot-snooter-2261

Thanks for the heads up.

Unfortunately, the linked site does not ship to the US. However, I was able to find listings on Ebay.

©¿©
LB

Dec 03, 2023 at 09:57 AM
Gozo1

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · optical spot

I have this unit and like it OK. It’s overpriced but I bought it only because I was able to get in a broncolor mount. I ordered a 30 pack of clear acrylic 2.5 inch discs from Amazon and some black adhesive material from a craft store and made my own gobos for it.

Dec 16, 2023 at 08:05 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · optical spot

Godox just announced BFP for strobe, BLP for LED, both priced at $299. From a cursory glance, the BFP seems really appealing to me:

https://www.godox.com/product-a/BFP.html#specs

Dec 24, 2023 at 03:50 AM
LarryBeemer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · optical spot

jlafferty wrote:
Godox just announced BFP for strobe, BLP for LED, both priced at $299. From a cursory glance, the BFP seems really appealing to me:

https://www.godox.com/product-a/BFP.html#specs

jlafferty,
This sounds and looks very interesting. I followed the link but did not see where a price was listed. Is it available for purchase somewhere?

©¿©
LB

Dec 24, 2023 at 10:23 AM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · optical spot

Not yet. Pricing is on the Godox Global FB page announcing the product:

https://www.facebook.com/story.php/?id=100064705357958&story_fbid=761199129380259

Dec 24, 2023 at 10:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · optical spot

Got mine, it’s good. Nice features and build quality. Throws a really consistent projection and as clean and sharp an edge as you’d like. But it seriously eats light: ISO 100, from 10ft, max power, a bare AD600Pro meters at f/13. With the BFP, 85mm lens, no gobo: f/4!

Feb 28, 2024 at 08:06 PM
LarryBeemer
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · optical spot

jlafferty wrote:
Got mine, it’s good. Nice features and build quality. Throws a really consistent projection and as clean and sharp an edge as you’d like. But it seriously eats light: ISO 100, from 10ft, max power, a bare AD600Pro meters at f/13. With the BFP, 85mm lens, no gobo: f/4!

Thanks for jumping back in here with this update.

I see on the b&h site that it is always listed as back ordered but also says to contact them for assistance. How long did it take from the time you "got assistance" until you took delivery?

I can't help but wonder how much power it would take to get f13 with the whole rig in place. Yikes!!

©¿©
LB

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:18 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · optical spot

I actually bought a LNIB used copy here, and sidestepped B&H.

Regarding getting to f/13, 10ft at ISO100, it’s currently impossible - it would require a single head over 4800ws.

I do wish they designed it to be more efficient, but I’ll take what I can get given how clean and sharp it is. Most of my work will be with it at a distance well under 3ft, and it’s much more forgiving there.

Mar 01, 2024 at 05:46 AM
LarryBeemer
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · optical spot

jlafferty wrote:

Regarding getting to f/13, 10ft at ISO100, it’s currently impossible - it would require a single head over 4800ws.

I do wish they designed it to be more efficient, but I’ll take what I can get given how clean and sharp it is. Most of my work will be with it at a distance well under 3ft, and it’s much more forgiving there.

I recently happened upon a short video with a photographer (Oriental dude that photographs dancers in a VERY large studio) that was using this Godox unit. He used a 2400ws head attached to a 2400ws power pack (I think he uses Nanlite equipment). It appeared to project a decent amount of light for a full body image but I don't recall the camera settings being listed.

I, too, would be using it at fairly close range. If you would be willing to share, I'd be interested to see an image of yours using this attachment at closer range at somewhere between f8 and f11.

©¿©
LB

Mar 01, 2024 at 11:30 AM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · optical spot

LarryBeemer wrote:
I recently happened upon a short video with a photographer (Oriental dude that photographs dancers in a VERY large studio) that was using this Godox unit. He used a 2400ws head attached to a 2400ws power pack (I think he uses Nanlite equipment). It appeared to project a decent amount of light for a full body image but I don't recall the camera settings being listed.

Dude, Oriental is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.

You’re probably thinking of Mark Kitaoka - he’s solid.

For larger projections my bet is the 65mm lens will be very useful and, perhaps, even the forthcoming 48mm

LarryBeemer wrote:
I, too, would be using it at fairly close range. If you would be willing to share, I'd be interested to see an image of yours using this attachment at closer range at somewhere between f8 and f11.

©¿©
LB

Mar 01, 2024 at 01:22 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · optical spot

I did get f/11 at ISO 200 from 18”, at 1/1. I think 6.3-7.1 will be where I’ll work most often, so… the 85mm is totally useful for head and shoulders framing ISO200-400, and keeping a really good recycle tempo.

Mar 01, 2024 at 01:27 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · optical spot

jlafferty wrote:
Dude, Oriental is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.

You’re probably thinking of Mark Kitaoka - he’s solid.

For larger projections my bet is the 65mm lens will be very useful and, perhaps, even the forthcoming 48mm

Thank you Jim. Mark Kitaoka's body of work (if that's who the OP is referring to) deserves more respect than "some oriental guy in a big studio". As a fellow Asian-American, I would hope that when I'm dead and buried, my work isn't just considered "some oriental guy with a camera".

Edited on Mar 06, 2024 at 03:59 PM · View previous versions

Mar 04, 2024 at 12:01 PM
PJphoto

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · optical spot

All optical spots, even the expensive Bron & Profoto ones, eat light. They're just an inherently inefficient modifier and there isn't much efficiency optimizing to be done sadly!

jlafferty wrote:

Mar 05, 2024 at 07:46 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · optical spot

Without being an expert in optics, I can’t really say… but I assume there’s a much more efficient way to handle the bulb “collar”. As it stands, with the BFP design, too much of the light is suppressed, as compared with, say, a highly polished parabolic (as you’d see in an Arri fresnel, or if you cut a 7” reflector to half its depth). Oh well 🤷🏻‍♂️ A friend of mine has ordered yet another optical spot from AliExpress, which alleges greater efficiency - I’ll report back in a few weeks if it’s any good.

Mar 06, 2024 at 04:53 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.