Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

Best method to trigger 4-8 cameras at once?

sungphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Best method to trigger 4-8 cameras at once?

kaplah wrote:
The WR-R11a and WR-R11b will sync multiple bodies.

You can have one body as the master or press the shutter release button on a WR-T10.

Easy, no cables, no extra batteries. I recommend PIN pairing, it's easier for my brain to comprehend.

https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/wrr11a_wrr11b/en/03_advanced_use_01.html#synchronized_release_with_the_wr-r11a_wr-r11b

Nikon should do a better job of promoting its products, they have something for most use-cases.

That's great, I may look into that if the pocket wizards don't work out. I wonder if they would handle syncing with flash better than PWs

Dec 04, 2023 at 01:15 PM
wilt
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Best method to trigger 4-8 cameras at once?

jlafferty wrote:
Again, regular triggers like the PlusIIIs will not work. It has to be Multimaxes. You can see this very old thread discussing the sync equalizing:

https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/70773-a-cable-release-for-the-pocketwizard-multimax/

Can you explain WHY it has to be Multimaxes to trigger multiple cameras?

Pocket Wizard states,
"All PocketWizard radios can be used to remotely trigger a remote camera. You will need at least 2 PocketWizard radios and the correct PocketWizard remote camera cable. Different camera bodies have different remote camera connectors and require different cables."

I myself have triggered Canon cameras using the PWII.

If one uses the master PWIII+ transmitter, one can trigger all cameras to fire and even assign them to 4 different groups, then decide to selectively fire one group or all groups. (I do not know if one can tell it to fire Group A+C+D, while omitting Group B,...I speculate you can, based upon seeing how one adds a group to the list of active groups.)

I wonder if they would handle syncing with flash better than PWs
The issue of different cameras having different latency occurs especially with a mix of brands and models of cameras, but I would not think there is much difference in latency if all are the same model, and I do not know the level of latency tolerance inherent to firing one set of lights to illuminate a single shot from multiple cameras. But that issue is certainly not addressed by which remote trigger...the latency differences are due to the internal characteristics of each camera!

Feb 23, 2024 at 07:18 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Best method to trigger 4-8 cameras at once?

wilt wrote:
Can you explain WHY it has to be Multimaxes to trigger multiple cameras?

Itís in my post. Can you trigger multiple cameras with other triggers? Sure. Can you sync the triggering across multiple cameras? No.

wilt wrote:
But that issue is certainly not addressed by which remote trigger...the latency differences are due to the internal characteristics of each camera!

This is the opposite of true. The PW Multimax is the only remote trigger that I know of that addresses camera latency. Bottom line: triggers absolutely matter.

Feb 23, 2024 at 08:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sungphoto
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Best method to trigger 4-8 cameras at once?

jlafferty wrote:
Itís in my post. Can you trigger multiple cameras with other triggers? Sure. Can you sync the triggering across multiple cameras? No.

This is the opposite of true. The PW Multimax is the only remote trigger that I know of that addresses camera latency. Bottom line: triggers absolutely matter.

Can confirm - I tried syncing across with a multimax as the trigger (camera 1 - Z8) but only had access to PWIIIs for the two sync'd cameras (D850 and Z6ii). They would sync shutters, but only the master trigger camera with the profoto trigger on it would sync with the flash (tested with a B10, D2 500 and 1000).

I figured it might be a losing battle trying to chase the latency issue considering I was using 3 different cameras, so my imperfect workaround was to put a profoto trigger on each of the sync'd cameras, but I could tell it was actually triggering multiple times based on how sluggish the recycle was getting after not very long (this was with a rental D2 1000). I think I'm just going to pick up another D850 to pair with my current D850 when I need to do this again. Sometimes I can get away with using the nanlite 720b with a fresnel, but I prefer the quality of light from a bare strobe :/

Feb 26, 2024 at 02:28 AM
FoleyAMG
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Best method to trigger 4-8 cameras at once?

Hmm...I would attach a PW Plus III on each camera, set them to trans/receive or just receive. On the master pocket wizard, I would ensure that is was on trans/receive...of course, all same channel, frequency...if you are just wanting to fire the camera...if you are adding strobes...will be a different ballgame likely...

I have attached three cameras this way...plugged a push-to-talk controller into the "master PW" and used the red push to talk to trigger the PW and fire the cameras....worked flawlessly.

Push to talk cable

Mar 13, 2024 at 07:57 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Best method to trigger 4-8 cameras at once?

FoleyAMG wrote:
Hmm...I would attach a PW Plus III on each camera, set them to trans/receive or just receive. On the master pocket wizard, I would ensure that is was on trans/receive...of course, all same channel, frequency...if you are just wanting to fire the camera...if you are adding strobes...will be a different ballgame likely...

I have attached three cameras this way...plugged a push-to-talk controller into the "master PW" and used the red push to talk to trigger the PW and fire the cameras....worked flawlessly.

Push to talk cable

Agree Pocket Wizard IIIs are great for this if you don't need to sync with strobe, but then you get into needing to match the camera model across the rig and it feels like it's smarter to just switch over to continuous for this project.

I have been using a generic set of triggers that are much smaller than the PWs so easier to travel with.

Mar 14, 2024 at 02:46 PM
1              end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.