FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       end

Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

bjhurley wrote:
I'm amazed at what the cheap phone apps like Hipstamatic and Tintype can do, though, in terms of halation.

This was shot with my iPhone SE and the Hipstamatic app; I guess it's my facsimile of a point-and-shoot film camera and I can even do double exposures with the Hipstamatic app. I can tell it's not the real thing but the images have fooled quite a few people including a professional film photographer...I just like the way they look but I enjoy shooting film more.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53330957214_b1bd66020f_c.jpgNightwalking by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53331076070_e2cfb8b1c1_c.jpgEvening fog double exposure by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

These were shot with
...Show more

Those look great! But thatís the thing isnít it - using a phone jusnít isn't as satisfying for some people no matter the output.
My Nikon Z7 can make incredible images but to me itís just not much fun to use. Itís why I use an M10r more than that, and film cameras more than the 10r! No matter how crappy they are!

However I would save soooo much money if I didnít use ANY cameras and just used my phone! But I love the participation of using a film camera.

Nov 30, 2023 at 09:33 PM
Keahi08
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

Desmolicious wrote:
I am basically 100% a film shooter, but I am impressed by the film profiles.
But, that is not what makes film photography what it is. As well as the whole process you get one chance at it. You have selected your film, you have made your exposure, you have developed your film. You have a physical image that you are holding in your hand.
With the digital process - click a button, pick your profiles. Donít like that one? Pick another? Messed up the exposure? Who cares the sensorís dynamic range will take care of it etc.

I have a couple of
...Show more

Totally agree.

For me the film photography process is like a high school crush. They usually ignore or are mean to you but once in awhile they half heartedly say "hi" and you are over the moon! Good times!

Nov 30, 2023 at 10:18 PM
ZacharyHH

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

Fred Miranda wrote:
I wanted to share a quick test demonstrating how well the Cobalt Portra 400 film simulation compares to the actual Kodak film. I used the same settings for both cameras (exposure at 1/1000s, f/2.8, and ISO 400).
I found that the Cobalt profile closely resembled the Negative Lab Pro settings, with the color profile set to "Noritsu" and the tone profile set to "Cinematic Rich".

Also, in LR, I included the Cobalt grain setting specific to Portra 400 film but with a higher amount to match the actual film more closely. I'm planning to do a similar test for Ektar100 and
...Show more

Did you end up doing the Ektar and Superia comparisons? Would love to see them!

Apr 17, 2024 at 07:53 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

ZacharyHH wrote:
Did you end up doing the Ektar and Superia comparisons? Would love to see them!

Not the Ektar but I will post a comparison using the Fuji 400 soon. (it's the replacement for the previous Superia)

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:59 AM
brick33308
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

I follow and occasionally post to this thread on film simulations. https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/327792-film-simulation-Ė%C2%A0open-thread/

I don't shoot film but since moving from Sony AF to Leica M10, when processing my RAW images, I almost always choose one of my film simulation presets . Among my favorites are various of the Kodak Portra presets. I've got four of the Portra 160 and three of the Portra 400. This one is Portra 160c

Apr 24, 2024 at 06:44 AM
brick33308
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

Desmolicious wrote:
Those look great! But thatís the thing isnít it - using a phone jusnít isn't as satisfying for some people no matter the output.
My Nikon Z7 can make incredible images but to me itís just not much fun to use. Itís why I use an M10r more than that, and film cameras more than the 10r! No matter how crappy they are!

However I would save soooo much money if I didnít use ANY cameras and just used my phone! But I love the participation of using a film camera.

I feel the same. My A7RV is just a tool I use for certain photo expeditions and shooting the Asheville professional ballet every year, but it gives me zero joy to use. When I got my M10 in February (in large part with advice from Huss who saved me from making a huge mistake on my first M purchase) I experienced a joy in photography that I last experienced when shooting my Canon AE1 40 years earlier. The M6 is calling to me because I'm so drawn to M film images, but I'm just not at the point of being willing to deal with the logistics of film - processing/printing/scanning.

Apr 24, 2024 at 07:04 AM
coralnut
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

@chez wrote:
Yep, if your end result is a digital imageÖjust start out with a digital image.

Desmolicious wrote:
And true to form chez chimes in again promoting digital photography on the film forum!

I need to make an apology to @chez.

To be fair, I have to confess that I've previously joined in chastizing Chez for promoting digital photography on the film forum. I thought he was trolling. I have to confess that until today I had not recognized that this thread is running in both the "Film is Not Dead" forum and in the "Leica and Alternative Gear" forum. Chez, I have to apologize -- although I objected to your comments in Film is Not Dead as having a trolling nature, I did not realize that this thread was also is co-published in Leica and Alternative Gear, where your comments were entirely appropriate.

This problem came along because of the distinctively different nature of the film forum vs. the digital forums, and the confusion on my part that came from having a what amounts to a digital thread being co-located in the film forum.

From the perspective of Film is Not Dead, this thread makes no sense. This thread is about digital photography, not film photography. It's premise is that one can use a digital input file on a digital camera to pre-process a digital photo to simulate (fake) a film emulsion's color balance. The closest connection to shooting film is that in the first post a film image was used as a reference point to demonstrate how well a commercial "simulation" accessory for Leica digital cameras fakes the look of a film emulsion's color balance. This is a great topic for Leica and Alternative Gear, but it's not really germane for the film forum, where digital camera pre-processing is not relevant.

This topic is of great interest to digital photographers who want to manage their color science in pre- instead of post-, but I don't understand why it would be of any interest to film photographers; although the digital shooters find value in the color simulations, I think that most film shooters would see the images as not being close to having a true filmic look. I think that the co-publication of this thread in two very different fora led to an unfair calling-out of Chez. In the context of Film is Not Dead he was trolling, but in the context of Leica and Alternative Gear he was not. I apologize for not having recognized this earlier. It confuses me when threads are cross-posted to forums that have such different objectives. Maybe this thread shouldn't have been co-located in Film is Not Dead.

Chez, I apologize. And I blame myself for not recognizing the problem of having this thread co-located in two fora that have very different objectives.

Apr 24, 2024 at 08:17 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

coralnut wrote:

To be fair, I have to confess that I've previously joined in chastizing Chez for promoting digital photography on the film forum. I thought he was trolling. I have to confess that until today I had not recognized that this thread is running in both the "Film is Not Dead" forum and in the "Leica and Alternative Gear" forum. Chez, I have to apologize -- although I objected to your comments in Film is Not Dead as having a trolling nature, I did not realize that this thread was also is co-published in
...Show more

I believe it made sense to post this comparison in both forums. I compared a digital Leica M10-R with a film Leica MP using Portra 400 film. Afterward, I applied a film simulation profile to the digital images to replicate film colors.

This discussion is relevant to photographers who use both film and digital cameras. It demonstrates how far digital technology can mimic film aesthetics, even though film always retains its unique look appeal.

I understand the distinction between the forums and apologize for any confusion. The goal was to share interesting information that could benefit photographers interested in both mediums. Thank you for bringing up these points, and I'm open to further discussion on how to best contribute to each forum's focus.

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:07 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

Fred Miranda wrote:
I believe it made sense to post this comparison in both forums. I compared a digital Leica M10-R with a film Leica MP using Portra 400 film. Afterward, I applied a film simulation profile to the digital images to replicate film colors.

This discussion is relevant to photographers who use both film and digital cameras. It demonstrates how far digital technology can mimic film aesthetics, even though film always retains its unique look appeal.

I understand the distinction between the forums and apologize for any confusion. The goal was to share interesting information that could benefit photographers interested in both mediums.
...Show more

The cross-positing is recognizable currently only on the main forum site with the grey dot in front of the subject line. But it does not reveal in which other forum it is cross posted - it just indicates that it is posted in another FM forum. Normally this is of no issue since it just allows two kind of communities to interact in the same thread. With the new film forum, it might get a bit complicate since it sort of functions on its own within the other digitally focused FM forums. Nevertheless there are many gear, photo, and photo digitalization topics which are of interest especially in the Alt forum.

IMO it would help to see in which other forum the thread is cross-posted. This could be added as line below the headline thread title after clicking on it maybe with smaller letters.

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:25 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

retrofocus wrote:
The cross-positing is recognizable currently only on the main forum site with the grey dot in front of the subject line. But it does not reveal in which other forum it is cross posted - it just indicates that it is posted in another FM forum. Normally this is of no issue since it just allows two kind of communities to interact in the same thread. With the new film forum, it might get a bit complicate since it sort of functions on its own within the other digitally focused FM forums. Nevertheless there are many gear, photo, and photo
...Show more

If you mouse over the 'gray dot,' you can see where the thread is cross-posted.

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

coralnut wrote:

To be fair, I have to confess that I've previously joined in chastizing Chez for promoting digital photography on the film forum. I thought he was trolling. I have to confess that until today I had not recognized that this thread is running in both the "Film is Not Dead" forum and in the "Leica and Alternative Gear" forum. Chez, I have to apologize -- although I objected to your comments in Film is Not Dead as having a trolling nature, I did not realize that this thread was also is co-published in
...Show more

yeah, that mea culpa belongs to me too. Had no idea it was cross posted.

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:50 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

Fred Miranda wrote:
If you mouse over the 'gray dot,' you can see where the thread is cross-posted.

Learned something new today !

Apr 24, 2024 at 01:08 PM
coralnut
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

So how does one go about creating a cross-posted thread over 2 or more fora?

Apr 24, 2024 at 04:26 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

Fred Miranda wrote:
Not the Ektar but I will post a comparison using the Fuji 400 soon. (it's the replacement for the previous Superia)

Looking forward to your Kodak Ultramax review

Apr 24, 2024 at 04:31 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

coralnut wrote:
So how does one go about creating a cross-posted thread over 2 or more fora?

2 max.

Apr 24, 2024 at 04:45 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

RoamingScott wrote:
Looking forward to your Kodak Ultramax review

Yeap!

Apr 24, 2024 at 04:45 PM
coralnut
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

Fred Miranda wrote:
2 max.

2x max. OK. So how does one actually pick a second forum to cross-post a thread? I've never seen that as an option.

Apr 24, 2024 at 04:53 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

coralnut wrote:
2x max. OK. So how does one actually pick a second forum to cross-post a thread? I've never seen that as an option.

I don't remember if all members are allowed or members with upload and sell memberships. But here is the option when posting/editing a thread:

Apr 24, 2024 at 05:18 PM
gordec
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

So my understanding of Cobalt is that when you buy their emulation sets, you get a specific profile for a camera model and also presets (LR) or styles (C1) for the respective software correct? The benefit here is instead of just giving you presets, they make sure they match the profile of the camera before applying presets.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:14 AM
Dm386

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Portra 400: Leica MP vs Leica M10-R Simulated

Appreciate this comparison. Iíve been toying with the idea of a digital M, but still undecided

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:51 PM

FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.