Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Any Experience Using 6-stop ND with Leica Q2M? A 10-stop?

Blufox
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any Experience Using 6-stop ND with Leica Q2M? A 10-stop?

I am considering adding a 6-stop ND filter to my bag to use with my Q2M. Has anyone tried that combination, and if so, do you have any examples of what you were able to shoot? Thanks in advance.

Added note: If you used a 10-stop, I would like to hear of your experience with that combo, as well.

Nov 22, 2023 at 06:10 AM
hkrazerx
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any Experience Using 6-stop ND with Leica Q2M? A 10-stop?

Why would you need a 6 stop ND filter for the Q2M? Just curious.

Nov 22, 2023 at 09:24 PM
Blufox
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any Experience Using 6-stop ND with Leica Q2M? A 10-stop?

hkrazerx wrote:
Why would you need a 6 stop ND filter for the Q2M? Just curious.

I don't "need" one, but want one for the long exposure effect (such as for cloud movement, water smoothing, crown blurring, and other scenarios where a drawn out shutter will add a nice mood).

Nov 24, 2023 at 07:51 PM
josh-himes

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any Experience Using 6-stop ND with Leica Q2M? A 10-stop?

I don't think you'll have any problems using either a 6 or 10 stop ND filter with the Q2M. Most modern EVF cameras have no problem focusing and previewing exposure with either a 6 or 10 stop filter on the lens. Based on what you intend to accomplish with the ND filter, the 10 stop would probably be the best choice if you only buy one. You will want 5-10 second exposures or longer to create the effects you seek and 6 stops won't get you there in the bright part of the day. Around dusk or dawn, 6 stops would probably be about right though.

Water can be tricky. For lakes and the ocean, the answer is usually the longer the better, as it can take very long exposures to smooth out choppy water (1 minute or more)...so that is getting into specialized 12-15 stop territory, but those filters are readily available. However for moving water such as rivers/waterfalls, sometimes it doesn't take much to get the correct amount of blur, so the 6 stop could come in handy there. Clouds are a mixed bag, but it usually takes long exposures (again, 10 seconds plus) to really smooth them out.

Nov 25, 2023 at 09:50 AM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any Experience Using 6-stop ND with Leica Q2M? A 10-stop?

There's nothing special about the Q2M that would cause any issues. Use as you would any other camera.

There's thread on DPReview I remember about someone getting the NiSi filter kit for x100v to work just fine without any vignette with 2 stacked filter.

I believe this was the holder, possible they sell a kit with it all ready to go - https://nisiopticsusa.com/product/nisi-p49-49mm-filter-holder-for-compact-cameras/

Nov 25, 2023 at 03:30 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.