New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8              end

Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

buffalowolff
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

My test hood is 70mm I think. I can do any length you want. I'm taking it to florida with me this afternoon so I can make sure it stays on in the heat, make sure there is no interference/vignetting...etc. If all goes well they will be ready to run next week. I'm not sure I'm satisfied with my cap so for the first while I'll probably have a lower price and throw the cap in for free until I get some feedback. It holds nice and firm, but the way it clicks in with this hood (metal to plastic) I want to make sure it doesn't wear down or anything like that. I might experiment with making out of flexible plastic but that adds a lot of complexity to the process so I'd prefer to steer clear. I do have some other options in mind though that could be pretty cool.

arbitrage wrote:
What length of hood did you go for in your design? Will it be possible to order a custom even shorter length?

May 08, 2024 at 09:00 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

buffalowolff wrote:
My test hood is 70mm I think. I can do any length you want. I'm taking it to florida with me this afternoon so I can make sure it stays on in the heat, make sure there is no interference/vignetting...etc. If all goes well they will be ready to run next week. I'm not sure I'm satisfied with my cap so for the first while I'll probably have a lower price and throw the cap in for free until I get some feedback. It holds nice and firm, but the way it clicks in with this hood (metal to plastic)
...Show more

Speaking of caps the lens does fit standard 105mm pinch-caps you can by for under $10 on Amazon. My friend bought one of those and seems to work fine.

May 08, 2024 at 05:31 PM
Kasper6188
• • •
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

Z8 / 300gm

May 08, 2024 at 10:58 PM
Andrew Nik

Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

A1 + GM300/2.8 + TC1.4

Apus apus by Andrew Nik, on Flickr

May 13, 2024 at 04:00 AM
buffalowolff
• • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

Nice. I ordered one to test out then I'll do a bulk order if I like it and just use that. I also ordered some large o-rings to possible adapt my cap to work better if I don't like the generic ones.

I just got back from Florida and really fell in love with this lens for anything in decent proximity. With the 1.4x and even the 2x its a great 'light' alternative to the 600, but I would not use it to replace the 600 by any means. Really glad I waited for this instead of getting a 400.

My hood help up great in the near 100 degree heat in florida so that is a go.

arbitrage wrote:
Speaking of caps the lens does fit standard 105mm pinch-caps you can by for under $10 on Amazon. My friend bought one of those and seems to work fine.

May 13, 2024 at 11:08 AM
Kasper6188
• • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

The Stages of Cranevolution

Nikon Z8 / 300gm oss

May 14, 2024 at 08:17 PM
ps09
• •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

Standard 105 cap does not work. Bought a sigma 105 cap after reading on FM that it works. It covers the element yes, but the tension does not hold the cap on in the field. Bought the zemlin cap. Itís outstanding.

May 15, 2024 at 08:56 AM
Grenache
• • • •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

ps09 wrote:
Standard 105 cap does not work. Bought a sigma 105 cap after reading on FM that it works. It covers the element yes, but the tension does not hold the cap on in the field. Bought the zemlin cap. Itís outstanding.

$90 for a plastic lens cap?!?! It had better be outstanding.

May 15, 2024 at 09:29 AM
David83

p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

Just got my 300 GM yesterday. It was rainy and I didn't have much time after work but I threw it on the A9III for some test shots.

This lens is stupid light and stupid sharp! Even with the 1.4 and 2x TCs. I tracked my son riding his scooter around for a few minutes and had no issues with either TC acquiring focus and tracking. The 1.4 showed no difference versus the straight lens, and even the 2x focused faster than most any other lenses i have that aren't 5 figures. This is going to be a great, great setup for kayak birding!

w 1.4x

Untitled by D.C. 83, on Flickr

May 15, 2024 at 10:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ChrisMak
• • •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

A question for Sony fe300GM owners: it shares a 40,5cm drop-in filter hiolder with the 400GM and 600GM.
I have the 600GM and would like a spare clear filter as it is not that easy to clean properly and e.g. very small particles of a micro fiber cloth tend to somehow stick to the coating, seen when holding the filter at an angle to the light.

The question: does the 300GM still use the "made in japan" Sony version of the clear filter?
I ask because when looking to order a spare filter, the VF-405MP MC, I read the following description:

Made for the SELP1650 power zoom lensThe 40.5mm front filter diameter is compatible with the SELP1650 16-50mm power zoom lens for E-mount cameras

Protect your lens while you shootThe high-quality optical glass multi-coated (MC) filter protects the front of your lens from dust, scratches and fingerprints

Reduce glare, flare and image ghostingThe Zeiss T* coating minimises reflections between filter and lens to reduce glare, flare and ghosting effects

Slim design to stop vignetting effectsThe filter is just 5.5mm thin, avoiding any unwanted saturation or reduced brightness at the edges of the image

This is not the same clear filter that came with the 600GM, but it is the only clear filter that is separately sold that I can find in any camera store.

Here is the product on the Sony site:

https://www.sony.ie/electronics/camera-lenses-filters/vf-405mp

So I am wondering if this is the filter used nowadays by Sony in the drop-in filter holders of the GM lenses?

Of course I contacted Sony support, but will not bother to quote their answer here. Suffice to say it got me exactly nowhere.

May 15, 2024 at 03:33 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

ChrisMak wrote:
A question for Sony fe300GM owners: it shares a 40,5cm drop-in filter hiolder with the 400GM and 600GM.
I have the 600GM and would like a spare clear filter as it is not that easy to clean properly and e.g. very small particles of a micro fiber cloth tend to somehow stick to the coating, seen when holding the filter at an angle to the light.

The question: does the 300GM still use the "made in japan" Sony version of the clear filter?
I ask because when looking to order a spare filter, the VF-405MP MC, I read the following description:

Made for

This is not the same clear filter that came with the 600GM, but it is the only clear filter that is separately sold that I can find in any camera store.

Here is the product on the Sony site:

https://www.sony.ie/electronics/camera-lenses-filters/vf-405mp

So I am wondering if this is the filter used nowadays by Sony in the drop-in filter holders of the GM lenses?

Of course I contacted Sony support, but will not bother to quote their answer here. Suffice to say it got me exactly nowhere.
...Show more

Mine came with a Sony brand filter. I didn't see a model # though.

May 15, 2024 at 03:37 PM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

Douglas L wrote:
Mine came with a Sony brand filter. I didn't see a model # though.

Thanks!

And it does not have the Zeiss *T coating branding on it? I believe that is the hallmark of the separate part vf-405mp. I would expect it to be compulsary to mention the Zeiss coating.

I guess I would have to get my camera store to have Sony source an original filter.

May 15, 2024 at 04:13 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

ChrisMak wrote:
Thanks!

And it does not have the Zeiss *T coating branding on it? I believe that is the hallmark of the separate part vf-405mp. I would expect it to be compulsary to mention the Zeiss coating.

I guess I would have to get my camera store to have Sony source an original filter.

All it says is "Sony" "Made in Japan" and "40.5mm".

May 15, 2024 at 04:29 PM
robert614
• • •
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

Douglas L wrote:
All it says is "Sony" "Made in Japan" and "40.5mm".

Mine is the same. Sony, Made in Japan, 40.5mm

May 16, 2024 at 01:33 AM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

Thanks both, that should be the same filter as the one originally supplied with the 600GM.
I will see if my camera store can help me out.

May 16, 2024 at 03:01 AM
mogul
• • • •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

i know you are not in US but i got my polarizing filter from lens rental at a serious discount (40.5drop in )

May 16, 2024 at 11:51 AM
sparadise
• • •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

I got lucky and found this lens in stock at B&H the other day. They didn't last very long. Here is a sample with the 2x attached . Tiny bird so heavy crop . Jpeg straight out of the camera at default settings. No other adjustments made.

Black-tailed Gnatcatcher by Steve Paradise, on Flickr

May 18, 2024 at 10:37 AM
Maxxus46
• • •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

Nice photo... But curious why the Z8 with 300GM?

Kasper6188 wrote:
The Stages of Cranevolution

Nikon Z8 / 300gm oss

http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53722031506_9df2ee02cc_o.jpg

May 19, 2024 at 12:44 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.