Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Lets talk Leica 35mm Summicron/Summilux(Aspherical,Steel rim, etc.)

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lets talk Leica 35mm Summicron/Summilux(Aspherical,Steel rim, etc.)

M6 w 35 FLE

Nov 23, 2023 at 12:54 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lets talk Leica 35mm Summicron/Summilux(Aspherical,Steel rim, etc.)

M6, 35 FLE

Nov 23, 2023 at 12:56 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lets talk Leica 35mm Summicron/Summilux(Aspherical,Steel rim, etc.)

M3, 35 Summicron Asph v1

Nov 23, 2023 at 12:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyRus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lets talk Leica 35mm Summicron/Summilux(Aspherical,Steel rim, etc.)

Not to make this thread all about the SR- But here are some of my favorites on the M11- Just a gem of a lens. I will post the 35 FLE2 next both film and M11

I think it performs as well on digital as it does on film- Again though the size and handling of this lens make it so much fun to carry around.

This lens is also really easy to shoot wide open on the M11 or any digital body. The soft glow at 1.4 makes missing focus slightly not a big deal since its all a bit glowy (however you want to describe it) anyway. Also the transition from in to out of focus is so nice with this lens its really hard to in point.

LEICA M11    Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 lens    35mm    f/1.7    1/160s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M11    Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 lens    35mm    f/2.8    1/25s    25000 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M11    Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 lens    35mm    f/2.8    1/160s    8000 ISO    -1.0 EV  

LEICA M11    Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 lens    35mm    f/1.7    1/8000s    64 ISO    -1.0 EV  

LEICA M11    Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 lens    35mm    f/1.7    1/160s    200 ISO    -1.0 EV  

LEICA M11    Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 lens    35mm    f/1.4    1/1250s    64 ISO    -1.0 EV  

LEICA M11    Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 lens    35mm    f/3.4    1/15s    64 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M11    Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 lens    35mm    f/1.7    1/750s    64 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Nov 23, 2023 at 05:40 PM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2023 at 05:23 PM
RustyRus
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lets talk Leica 35mm Summicron/Summilux(Aspherical,Steel rim, etc.)

Wow-

There are some amazing photographs in this- Great thread topic. I love seeing actually pictures to go with what people are talking about with lenses. We all love very differnt things in a picture and words just never can describe what we see. Thanks to all that are posting!

@1bwana1

Love the look of the pre FLE- I may have to give that lens a shot at some point- Maybe a trade for a month or so for My 35 LUX Cf That picture of the man with the hat is really stunning-

@Desmolicious

Love all the film posts- Such great timeless shots

@Push1stop I agree with @lifeandmylens The 35 SR is really special but you have to like that look and things can go bad with it quickly if you aren't watching for it. I would consider it more of a party time lens or a special use type of lens. Also if you don't get it modified, the 1m is very limiting indoors. The 35 LUX FLE 1/2 are both great lenses but aren't anything I would consider character- I would just consider them modern Leica perfection that you would expect from a new age LUX from Leica.

Nov 23, 2023 at 05:36 PM
RexGig0
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lets talk Leica 35mm Summicron/Summilux(Aspherical,Steel rim, etc.)

I cannot contribute much, because I have never used any Summicron 35mm, and until recently, my 35mm f/1.4 experience was only with the Zeiss Distagon ZM, but I will say that my leap of faith, in acquiring a Re-Edition Steel Rim Summilux, at the end of June 2023, has been a positive experience. House repairs and modifications have been occupying so very much of my time, but, now and then, my Re-Edition Steel Rim sees daylight.

When I tested a very clean, pre-owned, pre-Asherical Version II Summilux-M 35mm, a demonstrator pre-II Summilux-M 35mm ASPH FLE, and my Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1,4 ZM, inside a large camera store, the vintage pre-Asperical Summilux II was immediately dismissed, being simply too dreamy/soft at the wide end of the aperture scale, and quite sharp stopped-down, so, well, not really delivering anything worth ~$3K US of my rather limited funds. As much as I admire history and heritage, I simply cannot afford to be a collector of things Leitz.

During that 3-lens comparison, the pre-II FLE was appealing, delivering some amount of that Leica Summilux character. The threaded hood, flared at its “mouth,” felt really good in my hands, as does the same (or very similar) hood on my Elmar-M 24mm ASPH. Notably, however, the FLE did not deliver a background blur to beat my Distagon ZM. I tended to prefer the background blur of the Distagon ZM, at least with the backgrounds available inside that large camera store. Even so, a pre-II FLE remained on my list of M lenses to potentially acquire, someday.

Then, the sudden availability, at Leica USA in NJ, of a new delivery of Re-Edition Steel Rim 35mm Summilux-M lenses, at the end of June, prompted me to act. I reckoned that the early growing pains may well have been remedied, and quick check of asking prices for pre-owned samples indicated that I could recover much of my money, if I did not favor the lens. Of course, test images, here in this forum, and elsewhere on-line, plus some key statements by actual users, including Fred Miranda, himself, provided final encouragement.

One of my concerns was that the Re-Edition would be too small. I had found the pre-Aspherical, Version II Summilux to be just a bit on the small side, for my individual, personal left hand and fingers. Thankfully, the Re-Edition Steel Rim Summilux is a Goldilocks “just right,” for a compact lens, for me. I could only learn this, by handling the real thing. The local official Leica dealer is not a “Leica Store,” but a full-line, pro-oriented camera store, in a southern USA city, where Leica cameras are quite rare, in the wild, so, the full line of M lenses are not available, for handling or purchase. With a filter thread size of 46mm, I reckoned, correctly, that the re-Edition would be likely to feel sufficiently large.

For size reference, I use men’s size Large gloves.

This is my minimal, limited contribution on the matter of three Summilux-M 35mm lenses.

Edited to add: My first M lens, when I added the Leica M system, in April 2018, was a Summilux-M 50mm ASPH. That acquisition was based upon several years of “consuming” images, on-line, shot by others with various 50mm Leica lenses, culminating in several visits to Houston Camera Exchange, to visit a well-preserved, pre-owned Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, trying it on pre-owned and demonstrator M9 and M Type 240 cameras, finally buying this lens, along with a new M10. So, this is the lens that remains my point of reference for what a Leica lens “should” be, though I have added vintage/character lenses, too.

Nov 24, 2023 at 08:50 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.