Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

tzhang4284
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

I'm curious for those using Leica M cameras, what your AF camera is? I gave up my AF camera kit for a Leica M kit and so far loving it for taking photos of the family, some hiking, and landscapes.

However, I'm going to be doing some traveling later this year and wondering if I should pick up an AF camera to bridge the gap between my iPhone 14 Pro and my Leica m11. I'll probably bring 2 or 3 Leica m lenses to keep it light - 28mm and 75mm is my current thinking. For the AF camera, I'm thinking a Fuji X100V (if I can get one), Ricoh GR IIIX, Sony ZV1, or maybe something like the Sony A7C (have one I can borrow) although that adds meaningfully to the size of the kit.

I'm curious what others bring or not bring - thanks in advance!

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:49 PM
markhout
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

GR3 or 3X for street. Otherwise no AF needed for traveling. I use a Z7 + teles for sports and that's enough AF for me.

The GR hangs in a peak design clip on my backpack strap. Using my M set (21/28/35/50/75, carrying only what I like to use, I generally don't need AF, and still find it overrated for normal traveling use.

YMMV, of course. Just responding from my own perspective.

Nov 21, 2023 at 01:10 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

When I travel or anytime other than when I am working professionally it is usually the M 10 Mono and the 35 Lux FLE v1 or the 24 2.8 Elmarit depending on how I'm feeling when I leave. Lately I have been seeing a bit wider so it's been the 24. One lens one body, thats it.

Travel kit. makes life traveling a lot easier. And I don't miss hots I just see other shots.

lately M 10 M and 35Lux FLE v1 and usually 2 other bateries and a charger. All fits in that small shoulder bag.

Lately M 10 M and 24 2.8 Elmarit asph

It is very liberating.....

Edited on Nov 21, 2023 at 01:23 PM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2023 at 01:19 PM
wdshuck
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

I swapped my A7RIV for an SL2S and have been pretty happy. I like having something closer to my M in terms of editing / files. Itís also nice to be able to use the M lenses easily on it.

Iíve switched to more family photos vs landscape, so donít really miss the resolution, although I prefer Sonys AF tracking.

Nov 21, 2023 at 01:20 PM
FrozenInTime

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

The X100V is indeed a perfect companion for a Leica M as operation and styling are sympathetic, but features supplemental.

Set back button for S AF and then focus, compose and shoot is much like Leica M handling.
Use C AF when the action surrounds you.
The choice of EVF, OVF or tilting LCD brings so much flexibility.
Weather seal the lens and you will use it where you would not dare expose the Leica.

If you can wait a few months the next X100 release will be on the market..

Nov 21, 2023 at 04:15 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

tzhang4284 wrote:
I'm curious for those using Leica M cameras, what your AF camera is? I gave up my AF camera kit for a Leica M kit and so far loving it for taking photos of the family, some hiking, and landscapes.

However, I'm going to be doing some traveling later this year and wondering if I should pick up an AF camera to bridge the gap between my iPhone 14 Pro and my Leica m11. I'll probably bring 2 or 3 Leica m lenses to keep it light - 28mm and 75mm is my current thinking. For the AF camera, I'm
...Show more

Listen to Allen. You are bringing too much stuff. I just got back from a 2600 mile road trip, and took an M with one lens (35 FLE).

The least fun thing to do is load yourself down w gear, and then you also deal with gear selection hesitation.
M's can be used to take family pics, hiking pics, landscapes too. Every great picture you've seen? taken with one lens.

Nov 21, 2023 at 04:16 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

Rarely using AF these days - but when I really need AF for example for sports or wildlife shooting, my old Canon 5D MkII is more than sufficient for my needs. I might do this kind of photography once every two years or so.....not even closely worthwhile to vest into a more modern dedicated AF camera.

Nov 21, 2023 at 05:25 PM
tzhang4284
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

Thanks for all the input. Was curious how everyone else is thinking about this.

I get the one camera, one lens ethos and might pare back the number of lenses I'm bringing but I have a couple of beach days on this trip so not sure I want to risk having my M11 exposed to sand or salt water or feel comfortable leaving it on in a bag on the beach.

Given that, I like the idea of having a relatively cheap and nondescript backup camera for this trip. The GRIIIx might fit the bill - thanks!

Nov 21, 2023 at 06:55 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

Where would you leave the M11 on your beach days? It would be safer w you at the beach than being left at your hotel. Or on the dash of your rental convertible (parked top down of course).

Nov 21, 2023 at 07:15 PM
tzhang4284
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

Desmolicious wrote:
Where would you leave the M11 on your beach days? It would be safer w you at the beach than being left at your hotel. Or on the dash of your rental convertible (parked top down of course).

Was thinking the safe in my hotel but yeah there's always the risk someone will break in. No perfect options here :

Nov 21, 2023 at 07:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

madNbad
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

tzhang4284 wrote:
Was thinking the safe in my hotel but yeah there's always the risk someone will break in. No perfect options here :

Just cover up the red dot. Thatíll keep it safe!

Nov 21, 2023 at 08:05 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

tzhang4284 wrote:

The safe in the hotel room lets people know where you keep your stuff, so it saves them time.

But as for "no perfect options", your two options are:

1. Take it with you to the beach. Take photos - that is what you bought it for - run the small risk of damage to the camera.

or

B. Leave it at the hotel. Don't take any pics - what did you buy the camera for? - run the risk of it getting stolen.

At least with option #1 you will take pics. All option #B does is you not taking pics, and worrying that your camera will still be there when you get back. Might as well have left it at home...

Nov 21, 2023 at 08:28 PM
tzhang4284
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

madNbad wrote:
Just cover up the red dot. Thatíll keep it safe!

Ha right or buy a p edition

Nov 21, 2023 at 09:01 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

If traveling where I believe I will need a fast action, or long tele lens I bring my Sony A1 with three zooms, and a very small 3 lens Leica M kit. Depending on the daily agenda I will take one or the other kit with me. Both are fully insured WorldWide for all risks, so I don't worry much about loss or damage. Still I don't leave either in a Hotel room or car. It is either checked in with the front desk safe, or I am carrying it.

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:25 AM
tzhang4284
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

1bwana1 wrote:
If traveling where I believe I will need a fast action, or long tele lens I bring my Sony A1 with three zooms, and a very small 3 lens Leica M kit. Depending on the daily agenda I will take one or the other kit with me. Both are fully insured WorldWide for all risks, so I don't worry much about loss or damage. Still I don't leave either in a Hotel room or car. It is either checked in with the front desk safe, or I am carrying it.

How did you get your gear insured? House insurance adder or something else? I have not found a good standalone insurance option which is part of the problem here.

Nov 22, 2023 at 01:07 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

tzhang4284 wrote:
How did you get your gear insured? House insurance adder or something else? I have not found a good standalone insurance option which is part of the problem here.

I have added my camera equipment as scheduled items on my homeowners policy. It is very affordable. Payed off well when I dropped a lens in Iceland and destroyed it beyond repair.

I have USAA insurance as my provider.

Nov 22, 2023 at 06:04 AM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

I have replaced. my M11 with the X2D for travel. I sometimes take my M11M as well.

Gordon

Nov 22, 2023 at 11:13 PM
ftllens
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

I have x2d for af as well but honestly I just use it in MF mode 95% of the time. I'm also thinking about getting a m11m since I miss the haptics and speed (for how I shoot) with Leica.

I would really worry about beach condition so much unless you're gonna swim. Just enjoy it!

Nov 23, 2023 at 01:23 PM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

AF camera..? Singular? I don't comprehend..

My M11 companions are..

* Q3 - for when I want lightness but AF (Also doubles as my 28 / 35 lens.. I only have a 21/50 for the M).
* GFX100s - For when I want the best IQ possible, AF or not (typically 20-35 or 80 1.7)
* X-S20 - For sports and hybrid video (Adapted Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II or Fuji 18-55)
* X-T3 - Permanently lives on a tripod with the canon 24-105 for some studio / still life work
* X-T1 - usually with the XF 35 1.4 or 18/2 for when I am really paranoid about the situation and getting something stolen (or I give it to my 7-year old to walk around and take photos with me).

Nov 23, 2023 at 02:50 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What is your AF companion camera to Leica M while traveling?

I would pick up an RX1R2, Q2 or A7c + Sigma 35i.

Edited on Nov 23, 2023 at 04:50 PM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2023 at 03:52 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.