3       end

New camera ponderings

foto16
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New camera ponderings

RoamingScott wrote:
Some of y'all need a gym membership and it SHOWS

People are different. Some people treat photography as a creative process to exercise their brains. Some people treat photography as a physical exercise and some other things.

Nov 20, 2023 at 11:52 AM
liggy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New camera ponderings

RoamingScott wrote:

lol... horses for courses. I routinely walk a few miles with the A1 200-600 because I live 2.5 blocks from Lake Washington but that doesn't make a boat anchor the ideal travel camera either.

New one lens/one camera kit will be A7RV + 20-70 and compact. No lens changing pleases missus liggy and our non-photographer travel companions big time.

Nov 20, 2023 at 12:00 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New camera ponderings

To be fair, the thread is about a single forever camera, not necessarily a travel camera.

Nov 20, 2023 at 12:02 PM
nalax
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New camera ponderings

Sharona wrote:
Thanks again, all. Fun discussion. What does compressed raw do to the image quality, if anything?

With compressed raw, you may lose some dynamic range. Comparing file size to your X-T3 vs X-T5, it's about 56mb vs 83mb. IMO not enough to worry about. My Sony files are about 118mb and they run fine on my Mac Mini. Though important, it's not all about the numbers game. It's about what makes you happy to be shooting.

Nov 20, 2023 at 12:06 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New camera ponderings

Some must wonder how I can walk around a park using a gripped X-H2S and the 200F2 or the Z9 on top of another camera while I do event work.
RoamingScott wrote:

Nov 20, 2023 at 12:08 PM
liggy
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New camera ponderings

RoamingScott wrote:
To be fair, the thread is about a single forever camera, not necessarily a travel camera.

Absolutely. And that single forever camera should be as flexible/capable as possible.

That's why I'd nominate the A1 or its eventual successor.

Lightweight and compact enough for travel. High res for quality/flexibility. Silent e-shutter for discretion/stealth. Fast enough for action. Top shelf af/tracking. Optional grip for event work. Lens options from small manual primes with aperture rings to fast event oriented zooms to huge fast tele lenses (even though I wish there were a few more in that range)

Clearly just my opinion but it's a great overall package. If you like big cameras - add the battery grip.

Nov 20, 2023 at 12:26 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New camera ponderings

Awkward moment when you realize the Z8 feels better in hand than the A1 with most lenses

Nov 20, 2023 at 12:41 PM
liggy
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New camera ponderings

RoamingScott wrote:
Awkward moment when you realize the Z8 feels better in hand than the A1 with most lenses

Granted it does feel good in hand with a big lens. That said - as a daily driver it's not my cup of tea. Then again I'm a total gear slut so I like having all the toys.

Heading out the door right now. X-T2 / Voigtlander 23 1.2 around my neck. Purely for fun. One camera forever though for every job?

A1 or if Fuji ever makes a stacked sensor X-Tx body those would be my jam.

Happy Shooting, all.

Nov 20, 2023 at 12:48 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New camera ponderings

I think the gripped X-H2 bodies feel better in hand than the A1. I could not imagine a non gripped A1 with something the size of the XF 200 F2 for example
RoamingScott wrote:

Nov 20, 2023 at 01:29 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New camera ponderings

XT3 with IBIS = XT4

Seems like the decision is pretty clear to me

An XT5 would have a longer shelf life, and you can have the option to shoot a smaller image size of about 20 megapixels if you do not want a 40 megapixel file.

I don't understand the "single camera forever" question. Just buy the camera you want now, and then in 3-5 years, you can reassess.

I don't suspect Fuji will ever make a full frame camera. It would have to redesign the entire lens line.

Nov 20, 2023 at 01:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

SGinNorcal
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New camera ponderings

RoamingScott wrote:

I'm sure you're joking but I assumed given her choices of X-T3 and X100V, that a compact size was important to the OP. For me personally, I don't want to own multiple camera systems, would rather stay really comfortable with one. I backpack with mine to locations routinely above 10k feet with all my food and shelter for a week of strenuous activity in a harsh environment. With 35lbs. to carry, 10% of that as camera gear is a pretty big deal. I'm constantly trying to reduce weight, both in gear and my waistline. APSC is actually pushing it but I got tired of limitations of small format Canon's that I used in the past.

Nov 20, 2023 at 02:21 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New camera ponderings

nalax wrote:
With compressed raw, you may lose some dynamic range...

Not so sure about that.

When I first got a camera that saved compressed lossless raw, I had my doubts. So I made a bunch of test exposures using raw and compressed raw and compared them very carefully in ACR… and I could fine no visible difference whatsoever. I have used compressed raw by default since then.

Also, the “I am a Manly Photographer who lugs Big Gear” guys crack me up when they try to make folks using smaller, lighter gear feel, well, small.

How about comparing photographs rather tan gear weight? ;-)

Nov 20, 2023 at 03:33 PM
SGinNorcal
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New camera ponderings

Lossless compressed according to Fuji: RAW images are compressed using a reversible algorithm that reduces file size with no loss of image data.

Nov 20, 2023 at 04:58 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New camera ponderings

I came really close to buying the Nikon ZF, but ended up with the X-T5. To say I'm very happy with it is a tremendous understatement. I am shocked at how good today's crop sensors are. I already have a slew of Fuji lenses so that helped the decision. If I had to go with the ZF, I'll be starting from scratch and Z lenses just don't match the ZF feel.

Nov 20, 2023 at 05:00 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · New camera ponderings

SGinNorcal wrote:
I'm sure you're joking but I assumed given her choices of X-T3 and X100V, that a compact size was important to the OP. For me personally, I don't want to own multiple camera systems, would rather stay really comfortable with one. I backpack with mine to locations routinely above 10k feet with all my food and shelter for a week of strenuous activity in a harsh environment. With 35lbs. to carry, 10% of that as camera gear is a pretty big deal. I'm constantly trying to reduce weight, both in gear and my waistline. APSC is actually pushing it but
...Show more

Yes. The reason I went to Fuji a few years ago was because I lugged a Canon 5D3, two heavy zooms and a prime all over Italy for 3 weeks on my back. (And through airports, planes, trains, etc...) I wanted to lighten the load. Just because we CAN carry a ton of weight doesn't mean we necessarily want to! I was a sweaty, miserable mess. I did earn my gelato, however...

As for the final camera question.. maybe it will be, maybe it won't. But I'm shooting less, and we are entering an era when the improvements in technology are so minor, that all of these upgrades are probably only worth it for a select few photographers who actually do need certain functionalities for their work. If my XT3 had IBIS I think I'd be set for a long while. I don't see myself selling the X100V, as it's just a fun camera to carry about. You never know what you're going to see, and it's nice to be able to snap a picture and not dwell on technicalities.

Truly appreciate this conversation! I know the original question was pretty inane, but like I said, too much caffeine ...

Nov 21, 2023 at 09:31 AM
SGinNorcal
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · New camera ponderings

It sounds like the X-T5 would be perfect for you. Just because it has some wiz-bangery, its all selective in use. The IBIS and battery life improvements over the X-T3 are pretty nice.

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:00 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · New camera ponderings

Sharona wrote:
Yes. The reason I went to Fuji a few years ago was because I lugged a Canon 5D3, two heavy zooms and a prime all over Italy for 3 weeks on my back. (And through airports, planes, trains, etc...) I wanted to lighten the load. Just because we CAN carry a ton of weight doesn't mean we necessarily want to! I was a sweaty, miserable mess. I did earn my gelato, however...

As for the final camera question.. maybe it will be, maybe it won't. But I'm shooting less, and we are entering an era when the improvements in technology
...Show more

My “small camera” story is similar. My main system since the start of the digital era (first DSLR 20 years ago, after decades of shooting film) has been a Canon DSLR-based on, full-frame since the release of the 5D. My main photography with that system has been landscape, but also some wildlife and occasionally other subjects. At the max, I went out with two DSLR bodies, two large tripods, up to 9 lenses, and all the rest. These days that system tends to be one 5DsR, one chunky tripod, typically three to four good sized zoom lenses, but also commonly augmented by by one adapted MF TS lens and a macro. Still big stuff.

I have traveled with FF DSLR gear in the past, typically selecting a smaller subset of that gear — typically between 1-3 lenses. If landscape photography is the goal and I’m driving to a western US location I will take whatever I may need. If I’m flying, I cut it down most often to 3 zooms, a slightly smaller Gitzo Mountaineer tripod, and a few other things that I can get into a carry-on sized camera bag. (No avoiding breaking down the tripod and checking it, I’m afraid.) I’m OK with that, but…

… for more urban travel photography, typically done handheld and while on the move — basically street photography in 90%+ of the cases — I finally decided to move to something smaller. Yes, I did do urban street/travel photography with a FF system. No, I did not like carrying that much stuff around — partly because it didn’t gain my much when shooting in that style, and partly because it interfered with my intended photography in various ways ranging from the ability to work “quickly and lightly”in the urban environment to the fact that I prefer to not look like the prototypical “American Tourists With Big DSLR, Big Zoom Lens, And Camera Pack” when traveling. That alters how subjects respond to me and changes my photographs in ways I don’t generally prefer. (I accept that others may have a different approach.)

So, while I still own and use the Big Stuff for other kinds of photography, I’ve been using the smaller system for over a decade now.

And here’s the thing: in all kinds of ways the results for that sort of photography, viewed in a gestalt sense, are as good or better than what I got with the bigger gear. There are, arguably, somethings that I’ll miss by using the small gear… but there were also things I missed when I carted the big gear. And on balance, given what I’m trying to do, the smaller gear increases by success with my intended subjects these days. YMMV.

As to backpacking into remote wilderness regions, I’ve done that for decades. (Though it gets harder as we age, sadly. Or at least a lot slower…) I’ve carried 20 pounds of photography gear in to the backcountry, even when it slowed me down a lot. But I’ve also taken the smaller APS-C system more than once, along with a smaller tripod and fewer (even as few as one) lenses… and had some great success with it.

Today’s best APS-C systems can produce truly excellent output. In fact, I’d argue that it is better than that of the FF systems I was using back in the days of the original 5D, and on par with what I got from my 5DII. You can do even better today with a 50+MP FF system or a miniMF system… but that “better-ness” is rarely (and for most photographers, never) significant of even visible.

(To steer clear of one potential argumentative response, I’m not saying that “miniMF is a waste of time” or “there’s no difference.” There is a difference, and I’m saying that the upsides may or may not be worth the downsides. I’m also saying that one can do great photography with any format, and that there’s nothing about larger gear that will automatically make one’s photogarphy better.)

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:11 AM
foto16
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · New camera ponderings

Sharona wrote:

I had exactly the same experience, except it was 5D2 I bought an Olympus EP2 right after the trip and never looked back. I appreciate the discreteness and vagility while shooting in the street. Obviously different people enjoy different aspects of photography and pursuing the biggest and latest is a legitimate individual choice (and some are forced to do it due to job requirement), but all my photographic heroes prefer the simplest and lightest gear that can do the job adequately. And today it's very hard to find a camera that cannot do the job adequately for the majority of photographers.

As for the "camera for life," it's again individual. I have zero interest in specifications per se. I want a camera that can spark joy, and it's most likely a small camera for me.

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:12 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · New camera ponderings

I hope, that I can avoid the "one more camera for life" business and type of thinking. Even if it means a Rebel. Hey, even the kit lenses have IS and are very light

An X-T1 or other older probably isn't too bad, either.

Nov 21, 2023 at 11:26 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · New camera ponderings

Sharona wrote:

Truly appreciate this conversation! I know the original question was pretty inane, but like I said, too much caffeine ...

No worries, I love musings over a cup o joe!

My story is similar to yours. We went to Rome and I carried a D810, 14-24, 24-70 and bunch of primes in a backpack that I'm sure hovered around 30 lbs. I was climbing one of the "stairs" at the Colosseum (there is no building code back in the Roman days so the stair steps are massive 2ft each ) It was hot, humid, crowded, and just totally miserable. When I got to the upper floor, I came face to face with a guy who had a tiny XPro and a tiny lens hanging on his neck and he just looked so relaxed. He floated around effortlessly, taking pics and just enjoying the scenery. At that point, I knew something had to change. As soon as we got home, I sold all my heavy DSLR gear and never looked back. Today, I just carry 1 Fuji body and 2 lenses max. The more minimalist, the better. I also stopped shooting RAW and wasting time post processing and opted for JPG straight out of the camera because Fuji colors are so good as-is.

But you know what? Sometimes I'm lusting for full frame, especially when I see the nice shallow DOF from these fast Z primes that people post here. I would love to try out the new 135 1.8 Plena, 85 1.2 and the Noct. But then I'm reminded again of that trip to Rome and how miserable it was lugging all that gear, and I go back running to my Fuji.

Also when you travel all over, you have to also worry about pickpockets and mugging. You stick out more when you carry big/heavy gear. With my Xpro3 + tiny prime, I just slip it in my pocket and blend in quickly.

Anyways, your coffee's getting cold

Nov 21, 2023 at 03:03 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.