New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
       end

New Sony 300mm f2.8GM with TC's

bartr

Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · New Sony 300mm f2.8GM with TC's

Just received my 300MM and just wanted to report that the Sigma A00122 lens cap works as a temporary cover till better alternatives like the custom Zemlin become available. The lens cap is just held on by the clamping force of pinching springs but it's plenty to hold it on with normal use.

Feb 22, 2024 at 07:22 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · New Sony 300mm f2.8GM with TC's

ps09 wrote:
Iíve shot the lens for about 20 hours this past week. Pretty much all BIF. I donít consider it playing with the lens in the field. Am I going to sell the 600GM? No. But I am pleasantly surprised at its af performance and IQ with both tcs and, once again, it will get the nod when conditions are right and 600 is sufficient. Itís so well balanced that I will gladly trade any loss in IQ I would have gotten with the 600gm to have the ease of shooting from the kayak or while hiking. I think of the
...Show more

I'm happy to hear you are getting good results. Weather forecast is holding out for Saturday so if the mailman does his job and gets the lens to my friend tomorrow then I should be good to go with my testing.

For sure I'd love to use this lens in the kayak over my 600GM or 400GM which I currently use. I used to use Canon 300II with 2xTCIII from the kayak and the Sony lens is much smaller and lighter.

If it can just buck the AF inconsistencies I always get with the TCs on the 600GM and 400GM then I'm selling the 400GM and buying this. If not I'll pick up a Z8/600PF for about the same $$.

600GM brings sore arms quickly

Sometimes it is worth it

Feb 23, 2024 at 05:20 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · New Sony 300mm f2.8GM with TC's

arbitrage wrote:
I'm happy to hear you are getting good results. Weather forecast is holding out for Saturday so if the mailman does his job and gets the lens to my friend tomorrow then I should be good to go with my testing.

For sure I'd love to use this lens in the kayak over my 600GM or 400GM which I currently use. I used to use Canon 300II with 2xTCIII from the kayak and the Sony lens is much smaller and lighter.

If it can just buck the AF inconsistencies I always get with the TCs on the 600GM and 400GM then
...Show more
This is brilliant... I am impressed that you can shoot this handheld from a kayak. More than arms, this type of shooting requires abdominal core strength when sitting in a kayak. I've shot a lot of relatively heavy lenses from a kayak... 200-400, 800PF, etc... and the mix of arm and core fatigue often caused me to miss the "money shot."
Based on what I'm seeing, the 300GM (much like the 400 f4.5/500PF/600PF Nikkors) are the perfect non-zoom lenses for that type of shooting.
While I'm not going to adopt Sony... too much invested in Nikon at this point... I am forever curious about high quality optics and look forward to seeing what you can do with this lens. With that said, while it is a compromise optic, I am surprised that you don't use the 200-600G for your kayak shooting. Now that I have the 400 f2.8S/TC, 100-400S, and 180-600, my 180-600 is my "boat" lens. It served me well with loons last summer and performed beyond expectation recently during my shoot with sea eagles in Japan.

cheers,
bruce

Feb 23, 2024 at 07:31 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · New Sony 300mm f2.8GM with TC's

OwlsEyes wrote:
This is brilliant... I am impressed that you can shoot this handheld from a kayak. More than arms, this type of shooting requires abdominal core strength when sitting in a kayak. I've shot a lot of relatively heavy lenses from a kayak... 200-400, 800PF, etc... and the mix of arm and core fatigue often caused me to miss the "money shot."
Based on what I'm seeing, the 300GM (much like the 400 f4.5/500PF/600PF Nikkors) are the perfect non-zoom lenses for that type of shooting.
While I'm not going to adopt Sony... too much invested in Nikon at this point... I
...Show more

Thanks Bruce,

I did use the 200-600 from the kayak but I eventually sold my 200-600 as I just wasn't using it much (kayak or not). I just really enjoyed the faster and more accurate AF (IMO, YMMV) of the big primes and got used to the stunning IQ. So I started using them in the kayak and haven't looked back.

Feb 23, 2024 at 08:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

_MacTwin_

p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · New Sony 300mm f2.8GM with TC's

Arbitrage donít sell it, if you donít really need the money obviously .
The 200-600 even if is slower, less sharp, with worst bokeh (especially in the 2 shorter focal lengths) and heavierÖis a zoom, and produces clear, high-quality images, in some cases it can be very useful; not always you can put or change tcÖ

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:50 AM
berimbolo
• •
p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · New Sony 300mm f2.8GM with TC's

_MacTwin_ wrote:
Arbitrage donít sell it, if you donít really need the money obviously .
The 200-600 even if is slower, less sharp, with worst bokeh (especially in the 2 shorter focal lengths) and heavierÖis a zoom, and produces clear, high-quality images, in some cases it can be very useful; not always you can put or change tcÖ

I think he knows what he's doing

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:42 AM
Jemini
• • •
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · New Sony 300mm f2.8GM with TC's

Curious to know your findings about this lens and (or) Z8+600PF. As someone uses both Z8 and A1 (temporary), I leave A1 at home most of the time because of the reach of 800PF, VR and bird AF. I'm still not convinced that Z8 combo is equal to A1 for BIF. Need to try more. It's great for normal BIF. Not sure about swallow kind of subjects. I haven't seen swallows for years. So I cannot to test it and probably I don't have to worry about it

Love Nikon setup for everything else. Thinking of selling A1 before A1 II is announced to save some money.

arbitrage wrote:

If it can just buck the AF inconsistencies I always get with the TCs on the 600GM and 400GM then
...Show more

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:42 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.