Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

LiveShots
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

RECOGNITION TARGET
Human, Animal, Bird, Insect, Car, Train, Airplane

OTHER FEATURES
AF Level for Crossing (Still), AF Track for Speed Change (Still), AF Subj. Shift Sensitivity (Movie), AF Transition Speed (Movie), Switch V/H AF Area, AF Area Regist., Circ. of Focus Point, Focus Map (Movie), AF Assist (Movie)

ISO SENSITIVITY
Still images: ISO 250 - 25600 (expandable to ISO 125 - 51200), AUTO (ISO 250 - 12800, selectable lower limit and upper limit),

Movies: ISO 250 - 25600 equivalent, AUTO (ISO 250 - 12800, selectable lower limit and upper limit)

Nov 07, 2023 at 02:58 PM
LiveShots
• •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Full specifications: https://www.sony.com/lr/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-9m3/specifications

Nov 07, 2023 at 02:59 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

johnvanr wrote:
In theory yes, but who has the time to go through that many images before sending them out on the wire? I doubt the exact position of the ball is going to increase sales, at least not at a rate of 120 fps.

(Speaking as a former wire service reporter, print and not photography: you want to be first and accurate. Unless, I guess, the photo blows all others out of the water).

AI could handily replace a wire editor/culler if you feed it information on what an ideal shot is among a batch. Just wait...

Nov 07, 2023 at 02:59 PM
LiveShots
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Full features: https://www.sony.com/lr/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-9m3/specifications#features

Nov 07, 2023 at 03:00 PM
nhmorgan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

I hadn't really thought about this until I read on the sony page, but that 120 FPS lets you do stacking for noise on static subjects. Pretty cool. As others have mentioned, I suspect the dynamic range might be fine on this camera, but I wonder how the high ISO performance is going to look without a dual gain sensor. If this is truly a sports camera, it needs to be really good at that. That will be the true test of the camera's value IMO.

Also just wondering out loud if Sony has shot themselves in the foot with CF Express A as this camera is already going to be pretty limited by that transfer rate. Looks like 1.5 seconds at 120fps (which is still impressive!), but what about a potential A1ii. Is that camera going to only get .75 seconds when you double the MP?

Nov 07, 2023 at 03:12 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Some disclaimers in there that might be interesting to those needing some of these new features. Recommend muting the audio unless you like on hold music.

Nov 07, 2023 at 03:20 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

RoamingScott wrote:
AI could handily replace a wire editor/culler if you feed it information on what an ideal shot is among a batch. Just wait...

Maybe. Ill wait.

Nov 07, 2023 at 03:26 PM
Justin Stone
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

As others have reported above, and the spec sheet confirms, the a9III has a base ISO of 250 and maxes out at 25,600. Also, it's not a dual gain sensor. If Sony hasn't nailed DR and noise then this could be a fly in the ointment.

Edited on Nov 07, 2023 at 03:47 PM · View previous versions

Nov 07, 2023 at 03:43 PM
carl_g
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

It looks like a beast of a camera but why would Sony not use CFE Express B cards? They are faster, cheaper and basically becoming the standard in high end digital cameras.

Nov 07, 2023 at 03:45 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

johnvanr wrote:
In theory yes, but who has the time to go through that many images before sending them out on the wire? I doubt the exact position of the ball is going to increase sales, at least not at a rate of 120 fps.

(Speaking as a former wire service reporter, print and not photography: you want to be first and accurate. Unless, I guess, the photo blows all others out of the water).

When you are shooting specifically for these moments you don't blast away and shoot everything in 120fps. You just blip the shutter at those moments and you know you are going to get exactly what you want. It's not difficult to cull at all because you are usually only looking for those 1-2 frames and those are the frames you pull and process. It sounds overwhelming, but if you are looking for only a few frames of each short blip then it's very efficient to cull and get your shot. Hopefully you are familiar with photo mechanic for culling. Everything can be done lightning fast.

Nov 07, 2023 at 03:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Choderboy
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

The vast majority of buyers don't need a camera. It's a want, just like 120 fps is for some.
Maybe it's just for the more creative users who can think of an application.

I know, some have incredible timing talent. If trying to get a bullet leaving a gun, it will save even those super humans money, or whoever is paying for the ammunition.
I made a kit sound activated flash trigger in the '90s for popping balloon shots. Enter A9III and just use fps instead of flash trigger.

Imploding CRT.
Fish tank full of coloured liquid being smashed.
Any object being hit by any projectile.

etc

johnvanr wrote:
While Im impressed by the specs, who needs 120fps? That just sounds like a nightmare to me. 1/80.000 of a second? Why?

Nov 07, 2023 at 04:14 PM
Choderboy
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

It's already happened, years ago.
Canon and Sony 400/2.8 and 600/4.
They share the same radical design change: very few elements at the front of the lens, where big elements go, lots of little elements at the rear.
Nikon 400 4.5 is DO weight, or PF in Nikon lingo, but it's not.

Alan Parker wrote:
That's honestly a great point. Sony is doing something, but what?
I feel like they are shaving off a lot of weight due to different materials in the body/housing of the lens but surely other companies can figure that out too? The 300/2.8 is DO size/weight without the DO aperture values.

Nov 07, 2023 at 04:22 PM
Choderboy
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Exactly. So many comments about fps over the years ignore the fact it is frames per second, not minumum frames possible.
For the times you want to use 120fps, shooting only 20 or so will be easy.
Don't want to go through that many? Shoot 20fps and have 1/6th the chance of getting the shot.

I still have 1DXII. Similar comments were made regarding it's 14fps. I can usually shoot 2 frames, sometimes get a third, sometimes only get 1. Therefore, leaving it in highest fps is a good choice when you may want lot's of frames but have no idea when that may be.

artsupreme wrote:
When you are shooting specifically for these moments you don't blast away and shoot everything in 120fps. You just blip the shutter at those moments and you know you are going to get exactly what you want. It's not difficult to cull at all because you are usually only looking for those 1-2 frames and those are the frames you pull and process. It sounds overwhelming, but if you are looking for only a few frames of each short blip then it's very efficient to cull and get your shot. Hopefully you are familiar with photo mechanic for culling. Everything
...Show more

Nov 07, 2023 at 04:32 PM
Choderboy
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Size.

carl_g wrote:
It looks like a beast of a camera but why would Sony not use CFE Express B cards? They are faster, cheaper and basically becoming the standard in high end digital cameras.

Nov 07, 2023 at 04:33 PM
Choderboy
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

There you go using intelligence with regards 120fps. Unique.

For CFE Type A, just an increased buffer size needed.
I doubt it will have the A9 original issue of no access to control while buffer clears.

nhmorgan wrote:
I hadn't really thought about this until I read on the sony page, but that 120 FPS lets you do stacking for noise on static subjects. Pretty cool. As others have mentioned, I suspect the dynamic range might be fine on this camera, but I wonder how the high ISO performance is going to look without a dual gain sensor. If this is truly a sports camera, it needs to be really good at that. That will be the true test of the camera's value IMO.

Also just wondering out loud if Sony has shot themselves in the foot with
...Show more

Nov 07, 2023 at 04:38 PM
wind30
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Dave Sanders wrote:
Why not the A1?

Z8 cheaper. Sony does not understand that they need a good eshutter camera at around a7r5 price point.

Nov 07, 2023 at 04:41 PM
wind30
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

LiveShots wrote:
RECOGNITION TARGET
Human, Animal, Bird, Insect, Car, Train, Airplane

OTHER FEATURES
AF Level for Crossing (Still), AF Track for Speed Change (Still), AF Subj. Shift Sensitivity (Movie), AF Transition Speed (Movie), Switch V/H AF Area, AF Area Regist., Circ. of Focus Point, Focus Map (Movie), AF Assist (Movie)

ISO SENSITIVITY
Still images: ISO 250 - 25600 (expandable to ISO 125 - 51200), AUTO (ISO 250 - 12800, selectable lower limit and upper limit),

Movies: ISO 250 - 25600 equivalent, AUTO (ISO 250 - 12800, selectable lower limit and upper limit)

Max shutter when continuous shooting is only 1/16000. With base iso 250 that is going to give problems in bright sunlight with f1.4 lens. Why the firmware update to get 1/80000 after launch? That is so weird

The base 250 iso is really problematic. Any mention of dynamic range specs? Sony is totally silent on that?

Nov 07, 2023 at 04:50 PM
Justin Stone
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Yeah with 1/80,000 shutter ISO 250 seems OK, but not at 1/16,000.

There is a nod towards firmware upgrades down the road but who knows when that will be:

Future Firmware Updates
The Sony a9 III is going to get better with time and there are some details on what to expect in future firmware updates:
The ability to shooting continuously at up to 120 fps when using the maximum shutter speed of 1/80,000 second.
Workflow enhancements for IPTC metadata and FTP functions.
Addition of C2PA technology from the Content Authenticity Initiative.

wind30 wrote:
Max shutter when continuous shooting is only 1/16000. With base iso 250 that is going to give problems in bright sunlight with f1.4 lens. Why the firmware update to get 1/80000 after launch? That is so weird

The base 250 iso is really problematic. Any mention of dynamic range specs? Sony is totally silent on that?

Nov 07, 2023 at 04:54 PM
carl_g
• •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Choderboy wrote:
Size.

I guess. Its not like they need to accommodate that much more room.

Nov 07, 2023 at 05:17 PM
BillinTexas
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Pricing me out in retirement. Original A9 and A1 will need to last.

Nov 07, 2023 at 05:29 PM
1       2       3      
       5              14       15       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              14       15       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.