New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              14       15       end

Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Justin Stone
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

I posted in the other thread, but this is the right one that will live on.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the pre-shooting function seems like a real game changer for wildlife. but I assume most wish it were in the A1. Wildlife Togs are going to have a hard time going from 50 mpx back to 24. Maybe that feature makes it into the A2?

So that leads me to conclude this camera is for pj, fine portrait, events, and, most of all, sports shooters. Probably video creators too (global shutter, uncropped 4k 120). But back to protrait/events/sports: the "unlimited" flash sync speed, the workflow C5 button for pumping up from 20 fps to 120 fps, the ability to view the capture bursts as videos in camera and identify and protect the frames you want, no banding under any lighting conditions, and of course the global shutter. This really feels like the ultimate sideline/Olympics camera. And anyone shooting fashion/editorial (flash sync seems huge) might appreciate it too (with lingering questions about the mpx).

How much of this tech comes to the A2 will be the biggest question since that’s the camera that also loops in wildlife and probably more fashion (see above).

Really exciting times for Sony. But the SPRING 2024 release? Wow that's a long way away. Surprising preorders are going up 5? months in advance.

Edited on Nov 07, 2023 at 01:15 PM · View previous versions

Nov 07, 2023 at 12:59 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Dave Sanders wrote:
In the days when I shared space with a fashion shooter, a 300/2.8 was pretty bread and butter for classic editorial work, especially outdoor stuff with fashion, swimsuits, etc. I doubt that has changed. Indeed, making it so light and handholdable will likely make it even more popular with this group. Now...given everything that has gone on in the industry...is there still a 'group' that does that work?

Agreed. 300mm is my favorite focal length for outdoor portraits, motocross, automobiles, snowboarding, etc. I also think it was probably my most used focal length on safari last month. The weight of that Sony 300 is so nice. My old 300II weighs 2lbs more and I thought that was easy to hand hold.

Nov 07, 2023 at 01:03 PM
SNJOps
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

wind30 wrote:
… I am going to buy a z8 tmr…. Sony really has lost touch with what people want.

If you don’t like or want the A9III that’s perfectly reasonable. Sony in recent times have signed up Professional Agencies for Sports and Journalism. This body is aimed at a specific group of professionals and the A9 series always has had that group in mind. Press and Sports photographers often don’t want or need more than 24mp but they will appreciate the global shutter that means absolutely no rolling shutter and even more importantly no banding under artificial lights with is something not even the A1, R3, Z8 and Z9 can do.

Nov 07, 2023 at 01:08 PM
KS56

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Looks like a fantastic new camera, much more than I will ever need as a casual stills only photographer.
I am going to pass, hoping that some of the ergonomics will trickle down to a new a7v.
Still perfectly happy with my a7iv for now!

Nov 07, 2023 at 01:26 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

As a canon/nikon shooter, this new body sounds pretty fantastic....except for the resolution. But as this new tech develops I'm sure sony will put it into a higher resolution body. Some of the specs are overkill for most people (120fps comes to mind), but honestly it is nice to have those specs for those not common times when they can add to your shooting. I will be very curious to see what Canon and Nikon are doing in terms of global shutter tech....Lots of talk about the upcoming (some day) Canon flagship having it, not sure about Nikon yet. But basically this is all good news for consumers as the big three keep pushing each other to do more.

Nov 07, 2023 at 01:27 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Nov 07, 2023 at 01:29 PM
goo0h
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

AGeoJO wrote:
I wish it had 42MP and I would be all over it. Heck, I would take even a 36MP sensor 😜…

I do wish there was something in the 36MP range that maybe had the stacked sensor instead of the global shutter to save cost. Do you think the global shutter will now be at the pro-level cameras (a9 and a1) and the stacked sensor might then trickle down to the a7 series? At least the stacked is mostly usable with LED lighting.

Edited on Nov 07, 2023 at 01:47 PM · View previous versions

Nov 07, 2023 at 01:46 PM
LiveShots
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

As a current a1 owner this is intriguing, I prefer shooting sports over anything else and the global shutter and enhanced focusing options are tempting.

Dropping from 50 to 24MP would be tough but I think I could live with it except for wildlife photos.

The big sell is the global shutter; If this thing had 36MP I would let my a1 go in a heartbeat…. At 24MP I'm going to have to think about this for a while.

Nov 07, 2023 at 01:46 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Global shutter finally being a reality is huge. This will be slowly rolling (pun) out to other brands that use Sony-based sensor tech.

Impressed that Sony beat Canon to the punch with the global shutter. Maybe Canon will have a global shutter in the R1 but at a higher resolution.

Nov 07, 2023 at 01:47 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

gregfountain wrote:
I know there are those who need it, but it would drive me nuts having to go through 1000's of images recorded from a few seconds of shooting. Good on Sony for innovating.

Same here. I already hate culling through 20 fps and wish I could turn it lower.

Nov 07, 2023 at 01:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnvanr
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

highdesertmesa wrote:
Global shutter finally being a reality is huge. This will be slowly rolling (pun) out to other brands that use Sony-based sensor tech.

Impressed that Sony beat Canon to the punch with the global shutter. Maybe Canon will have a global shutter in the R1 but at a higher resolution.

I know I don't need the R1 at all and I won't be in the market for one, but I really wonder what Canon is going to roll out with that one.

Nov 07, 2023 at 01:49 PM
nobody23
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Keeping my A1 and will rent the A9 III when in need for a B-(video)cam

Nov 07, 2023 at 01:53 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Justin Stone wrote:
I posted in the other thread, but this is the right one that will live on.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the pre-shooting function seems like a real game changer for wildlife. but I assume most wish it were in the A1. Wildlife Togs are going to have a hard time going from 50 mpx back to 24. Maybe that feature makes it into the A2?

So that leads me to conclude this camera is for pj, fine portrait, events, and, most of all, sports shooters. Probably video creators too (global shutter, uncropped 4k 120).
...Show more

Pre-shooting is old news by now. Olympus had it years ago and Sony is late to this table. It is a great function to have, but still.

If it's really a spring 2024 release, then this pre-announcement is probably because Sony knows what the competition has coming out and they want to keep people from jumping ship. It probably means the R1 is not that far off.

Nov 07, 2023 at 01:53 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

cohenfive wrote:
As a canon/nikon shooter, this new body sounds pretty fantastic....except for the resolution. But as this new tech develops I'm sure sony will put it into a higher resolution body. Some of the specs are overkill for most people (120fps comes to mind), but honestly it is nice to have those specs for those not common times when they can add to your shooting. I will be very curious to see what Canon and Nikon are doing in terms of global shutter tech....Lots of talk about the upcoming (some day) Canon flagship having it, not sure about Nikon yet. But
...Show more

120fps is great for certain moments in sports like trying to capture bat on ball, racket on ball, ball leaving fingers of pitcher, football on fingertips of receiver, ball off kickers foot, etc. There are also great uses for it in all of action sports, racing, equestrian, etc. If's for those very hard to capture split second moments that will now be easy to capture.

Nov 07, 2023 at 01:54 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

The A9iii is great news. It's not for me but as the global shutter dream now is a reality we'll probably see 48MP/60fps with slow 1/20.000 sec shutter speed sensors faster than anticipated as late as yesterday. From half a shutter to no shutter - a weird but welcome development.

Nov 07, 2023 at 01:54 PM
Bill Gass
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

saaketham wrote:
ha ha .. true. Hobbyists don't really need more than 10-20 fps at most.
I hardly ever shoot at 30 fps on my a1 because of the large amount of reviewing and culling involved later on.
I am sure sports photogs who depend on getting the money shot, will appreciate it, but still 120 is overkill.

More like Sony's taunting the other brands - "See what we can do? What are you guys capable of doing?"

I've said for 10 years or more now...Why not just shoot video, especially with 4k, 6k,8K now a days and take your one or two killer shots out of that ? I did that with Pinnacle years ago and although not bad but I'm not much of a video guy.

Nov 07, 2023 at 02:03 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Looks like they split the difference on the on-off switch and the in-line tilt and articulate rear panel, too. It's way out of my affordability range so just fun to look at.

Nov 07, 2023 at 02:06 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Jonas B wrote:
The A9iii is great news. It's not for me but as the global shutter dream now is a reality we'll probably see 48MP/60fps with slow 1/20.000 sec shutter speed sensors faster than anticipated as late as yesterday. From half a shutter to no shutter - a weird but welcome development.

Global shutter is the final step in the evolution away from analog camera mechanics.

Film > Digital
Mirror > Mirrorless
Fixed sensor > Stabilized sensor
Mechanical shutter > Global shutter

Good times to be a photographer.

Nov 07, 2023 at 02:14 PM
Daran
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

Bill Gass wrote:
I've said for 10 years or more now...Why not just shoot video, especially with 4k, 6k,8K now a days and take your one or two killer shots out of that ? I did that with Pinnacle years ago and although not bad but I'm not much of a video guy.

You can do for quite a while already. But the quality sucks. Video compression strongly reduces the quality. And video resolution is usually laughed at by stills photographers (unless 8K). Shutter speed is another topic. For decent video you need a slow shutter, to smooth over the movement between frames. For stills you usually want to freeze any motion blur.

Nov 07, 2023 at 02:18 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

artsupreme wrote:
120fps is great for certain moments in sports like trying to capture bat on ball, racket on ball, ball leaving fingers of pitcher, football on fingertips of receiver, ball off kickers foot, etc. There are also great uses for it in all of action sports, racing, equestrian, etc. If's for those very hard to capture split second moments that will now be easy to capture.

In theory yes, but who has the time to go through that many images before sending them out on the wire? I doubt the exact position of the ball is going to increase sales, at least not at a rate of 120 fps.

(Speaking as a former wire service reporter, print and not photography: you want to be first and accurate. Unless, I guess, the photo blows all others out of the water).

Nov 07, 2023 at 02:52 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.