Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13      
14
       15       end
  

Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

  
 
randomguy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #1 · p.14 #1 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


duncang wrote:
If you have a Sony GN60 see whether you can shoot at 120fps with flash sync at 1/4000s. There is a firmware update for the flash.



Sorry got no flashes, I only shoot in natural light.



Jan 23, 2024 at 06:38 AM
snapsy
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #2 · p.14 #2 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced





Jan 27, 2024 at 06:13 PM
GHarris
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #3 · p.14 #3 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


snapsy wrote:



Good discussion of the flash advantages and tradeoffs in this video. Thanks



Jan 28, 2024 at 04:27 AM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #4 · p.14 #4 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


Folks in Hong Kong got their 300 GM already. He said he would do a 300 GM+2X TC vs 200-600 comparison. I believe Mark smith said he was going to do the same too. If the 300 GM+2X TC is demonstrably sharper than the 200-600 at 600mm, I may buy one.




Jan 28, 2024 at 09:27 AM
Jemini
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #5 · p.14 #5 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


Very rare chance that you will see a visible difference between 200-600 and 300+2x. I think 200-600 will be SLIGHTLY better in sharpness and AF. But 200-600 is not a 600mm lens. So 300+2x will have higher magnification. I'm curious how 300+1.4x compares to 200-600 @ 420mm. If the AF and sharpness is way better, the combo can be the best BIF combo (weight, size AF speed etc). I don't have much hope though.

Douglas L wrote:
Folks in Hong Kong got their 300 GM already. He said he would do a 300 GM+2X TC vs 200-600 comparison. I believe Mark smith said he was going to do the same too. If the 300 GM+2X TC is demonstrably sharper than the 200-600 at 600mm, I may buy one.





Jan 28, 2024 at 10:42 AM
Fboss
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #6 · p.14 #6 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


Jemini wrote:
Very rare chance that you will see a visible difference between 200-600 and 300+2x. I think 200-600 will be SLIGHTLY better in sharpness and AF. But 200-600 is not a 600mm lens. So 300+2x will have higher magnification. I'm curious how 300+1.4x compares to 200-600 @ 420mm. If the AF and sharpness is way better, the combo can be the best BIF combo (weight, size AF speed etc). I don't have much hope though.


From what we have seen so far 300+1.4x seems be superior to the 100-400GM (or any 100-400), at ~400mm. But I don't expect either to see a difference in favor of the 300+2x , when compared to the 200-600 (at 600mm)
What do you mean by "200-600 is not a 600mm lens" ?




Jan 28, 2024 at 11:57 AM
berimbolo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #7 · p.14 #7 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


Fboss wrote:

From what we have seen so far 300+1.4x seems be superior to the 100-400GM (or any 100-400), at ~400mm. But I don't expect either to see a difference in favor of the 300+2x , when compared to the 200-600 (at 600mm)
What do you mean by "200-600 is not a 600mm lens" ?



At MFD, the 200-600 is closer to 560mm at the long end.



Jan 28, 2024 at 12:10 PM
tsdevine
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #8 · p.14 #8 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced



I suspect MFD shooting is not a high percentage use generally of the 200-600.



Jan 28, 2024 at 12:19 PM
berimbolo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #9 · p.14 #9 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


tsdevine wrote:
I suspect MFD shooting is not a high percentage use generally of the 200-600.


Yeah. Also only a 7% difference in focal length.



Jan 28, 2024 at 12:20 PM
Jemini
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #10 · p.14 #10 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


200-600 is close to 550mm at MFD. At normal working distance (around 20-30 ft, it may be around 575mm). This not surprising in zoom world.

Fboss wrote:

From what we have seen so far 300+1.4x seems be superior to the 100-400GM (or any 100-400), at ~400mm. But I don't expect either to see a difference in favor of the 300+2x , when compared to the 200-600 (at 600mm)
What do you mean by "200-600 is not a 600mm lens" ?





Jan 28, 2024 at 12:22 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Fboss
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #11 · p.14 #11 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


Jemini wrote:
200-600 is close to 550mm at MFD. At normal working distance (around 20-30 ft, it may be around 575mm). This not surprising in zoom world.



I knew about the MFD. But at normal distance, I did some comparisons with the Tamron 150-500 at 500mm and needed to zoom by ~ 20% the images from the Tamron to get the same size as the Sony at 600mm. So thought it was an actual ~600mm.




Jan 28, 2024 at 01:13 PM
jhapeman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #12 · p.14 #12 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


Looks like February 8 in the US. I have one ordered in advance and I've waffled over it due to the 24mp but when I went back and looked through my A9ii photos I had a ton that were just fine with the lower pixel count. I think this will end up being my specialist camera for BIF and super fast birds like hummingbirds, where every frame counts and speed really matters. A bit of a niche, yes, but so is bird photography in general.


Jan 28, 2024 at 01:53 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #13 · p.14 #13 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


Not being a bird shooter or wild life per say I have use for the A9III with LED, Flash but the bigger downfall is the 24mpx BUT BUT BUT I could always add a 1.4 TC to the 70-200 and still get 300mm and don't use crop mode . Today with the A7RV it's 21mpx in crop mode. So I could cheat here. I think I will wait till after next show I need to shoot in July but I will rent one for the show. Love the idea of this cam although 120FPS I will most likely never use.


Jan 28, 2024 at 02:18 PM
Jemini
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #14 · p.14 #14 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


Fboss wrote:
I knew about the MFD. But at normal distance, I did some comparisons with the Tamron 150-500 at 500mm and needed to zoom by ~ 20% the images from the Tamron to get the same size as the Sony at 600mm. So thought it was an actual ~600mm.



I'm not sure another zoom is the right scale. Tamron 150-500 could be less than 500mm at long end

Here's a picture taken at 13' using Nikon 400mm prime+1.4TC and 200-600 @600mm. Both taken on Z8. Just resized to 1000 pixels wide. Top is taken with 400mm+TC (560mm) and bottom with 200-600. So at 13' it's not even 560mm. For me 200-600 is very sharp very fast focusing (same speed as Nikon 400/4.5 as per Steve Perry) 225-550mm lens. It's an amazing value. I just wish if there was a 500/4 lens with same weight (or around 5LB). Except the aperture I have no complaints about this lens









Jan 29, 2024 at 09:31 AM
saaketham
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #15 · p.14 #15 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-300mm-gm-now-shipping-out-in-europe/


Jan 31, 2024 at 05:06 AM
ChrisMak
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #16 · p.14 #16 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


saaketham wrote:
https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-300mm-gm-now-shipping-out-in-europe/


Yes, it's been in stock in western europe for a week now, and apparently not a huge list of pre-orders at all, as I could get one tomorrow.

I am still on the fence though, looking for a travel combo to complement the A1+600GM, I can see the 300GM with both TC's as a versatile option that is both small and very light. But a prospect of 90% TC use, with over 50% 2xTC, has me waiting for reviews.

A sidestep into Nikon is also a possibility, and I can only spend my money once...



Jan 31, 2024 at 06:42 AM
Laslo Varadi
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #17 · p.14 #17 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


ChrisMak wrote:
Yes, it's been in stock in western europe for a week now, and apparently not a huge list of pre-orders at all, as I could get one tomorrow.

I am still on the fence though, looking for a travel combo to complement the A1+600GM, I can see the 300GM with both TC's as a versatile option that is both small and very light. But a prospect of 90% TC use, with over 50% 2xTC, has me waiting for reviews.

A sidestep into Nikon is also a possibility, and I can only spend my money once...


I have the A1, but decided on the sidestep, so I now in 2 camera systems. Purchased a Nikon 400 f4.5, 1.4tc and a Z8 so I can have a lighter telephoto option to the A1 and the 200-600 combination. Itís too bad Sony has not created similar, relatively inexpensive, good quality telephotos to compete with Nikon such as the 400, 500, 600 lenses.



Jan 31, 2024 at 08:09 AM
ChrisMak
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #18 · p.14 #18 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


Laslo Varadi wrote:
I have the A1, but decided on the sidestep, so I now in 2 camera systems. Purchased a Nikon 400 f4.5, 1.4tc and a Z8 so I can have a lighter telephoto option to the A1 and the 200-600 combination. Itís too bad Sony has not created similar, relatively inexpensive, good quality telephotos to compete with Nikon such as the 400, 500, 600 lenses.


The Nikon combo you have is an obvious candidate, and I see lots of good colors, bokeh and contrast coming from the Z400mm f4.5.
But I intend to wait for the Sony 300GM reviews.

The 300GM is a higher quality lens with slightly wider eq. aperture, and if the 2xTC works exceptionally well with it (which initial reviews hint at) then it will be a tough choice. Going for the Sony is around Ä800,- less expensive and has the advantage of staying within one system.

On the other hand, a Z8 would open the door to a future 600 or 800PF



Jan 31, 2024 at 08:25 AM
saaketham
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #19 · p.14 #19 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


And here we go ... US folks

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1843940

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1843933



Jan 31, 2024 at 09:31 AM
docusync
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #20 · p.14 #20 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


saaketham wrote:
And here we go ... US folks

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1843940

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1843933


The dealers already started receiving their A9 III shipments this week. If you personally know store owners in your area or online - it's not a problem to get this camera today.



Feb 01, 2024 at 11:33 AM
1       2       3              13      
14
       15       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13      
14
       15       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.