Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              14       15       end
  

Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced

  
 
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


Speed is one thing here that is a huge factor but LED lighting control and Flash sync are also a very big deal too. I could certainly make use of this and 6 k is 6k either you spend or you don't we spent 6400 on a A1 that in some ways does not match theses new abilities. We bitched and moaned but we also bought it. I have not looked at the specs or anything but I can tell there are some other things in this as well. Folks it opened up the global shutter and that adds a lot of functionality in a lot of areas.


Nov 07, 2023 at 11:18 AM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


1bwana1 wrote:
I watched the whole thing and honestly for me it raised more questions than it answered.

Except for the 300 2.8 lens it felt more like a development announcement with a bit more detail. Non of the usual removal of embargo information being published by reviewers that have actually had the camera in hand to test. Release of the A9III is actually next year. It seems much earlier in the development cycle than normal for a release announcement.

The firmware updates are coming around the second quarter of next, and are very limited in nature. Nothing in the A1 feature set
...Show more

They obviously wanted to keep down on the leaks so no one got it before hand. But they said in the presentation they would keep it short to allow the people to get out and use it so I think they have them working.

It is odd that in the presentation they mention Spring 2024 but on Sony Japan they give a precise release date of Jan 26, 2024. Not sure if that is correct. Also Sony Japan says preorders on Nov 16th...maybe this is just a Japan specific date??

If you go through the product pages on Sony.com and Sony.jp you get a lot of questions answered.
It confirms pre-capture supports all file formats at all bit rates.
It mentions that EVF data throughput has been improved.
It mentions a new super small af area and a XL AF area and that you can do customizable AF areas now.
The EVF now stays at full resolution, high quality at 120Hz.
And of course they rounded off the edges which is worth $6K right there



Nov 07, 2023 at 11:20 AM
AGeoJO
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


I wish it had 42MP and I would be all over it. Heck, I would take even a 36MP sensor 😜…


Nov 07, 2023 at 11:20 AM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


AGeoJO wrote:
I wish it had 42MP and I would be all over it. Heck, I would take even a 36MP sensor 😜…


Me too



Nov 07, 2023 at 11:22 AM
lukeiam
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


wind30 wrote:
… I am going to buy a z8 tmr…. Sony really has lost touch with what people want.


100%



Nov 07, 2023 at 11:23 AM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


arbitrage wrote:
They obviously wanted to keep down on the leaks so no one got it before hand. But they said in the presentation they would keep it short to allow the people to get out and use it so I think they have them working.

It is odd that in the presentation they mention Spring 2024 but on Sony Japan they give a precise release date of Jan 26, 2024. Not sure if that is correct. Also Sony Japan says preorders on Nov 16th...maybe this is just a Japan specific date??

If you go through the product pages on Sony.com and Sony.jp you
...Show more

Im sure we maybe missing some data as well but a great start in my book. How about options 24,36,42 mpx. Now that would get my money.



Nov 07, 2023 at 11:24 AM
saaketham
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced




Comparing 70-200 GM ii with 1.4x TC to 300 GM with 2X TC



Nov 07, 2023 at 11:25 AM
randomguy
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


Not a fan of 24MP either, but it seems to deliver all my other wants. So I'll preorder one to be early in the queue. Can always change my mind later!

No idea when an A1II comes and not yet 100% sure it will use global shutter sensor either. Could be some sort of drawback with it that we don't know about yet.



Nov 07, 2023 at 11:27 AM
AGeoJO
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


wind30 wrote:
… I am going to buy a z8 tmr…. Sony really has lost touch with what people want.


Obviously, it is a niche camera. Sport photographers would be dying to get their hands on this one. Yes, true, it is not for everyone, in other words. Sony cannot please everybody at the same time and that’s fine. Enjoy your Z8!



Nov 07, 2023 at 11:32 AM
huddy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


As a Nikon shooter, I'm super pumped to see Sony keep moving the bar both with the global shutter and the 300/2.8.

300/2.8 as a prime may seem less important to lots of folks in a world with great 100-300/2.8 zooms (and it probably is), but this 300/2.8 is almost the same weight as an older Nikon 300 f/4 D IF-ED AF-S (1440g). I'm hugely in favor of all the lens makers figuring out how to shed mass and make lighter, fast telephotos. I haven't bought any exotic telephotos yet in Z mount (or F), but it's good to be spoiled with choices.



Nov 07, 2023 at 11:32 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

j4nu
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


lukeiam wrote:
100%


Just try to remember A9II launch, it basically had no new features or improvements for a non-pro user over the original A9. Sony was always after market segmentation (well, minus A1 maybe but its cost was in another segment) and this release is another step in that direction. A9 is now even more targeted towards PROs who will make actual use of GS (flash, LED banding, etc.).
There was no indication that A9 would become a Z8 equivalent, so a fast, high-res goldilocks cam for everyone and affordable at that ...



Nov 07, 2023 at 11:38 AM
Dave Sanders
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


wind30 wrote:
… I am going to buy a z8 tmr…. Sony really has lost touch with what people want.


Why not the A1?



Nov 07, 2023 at 11:38 AM
nhmorgan
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


This is good for all of us in the long run. All the current lineups of all cameras suffer from banding issues in a variety of settings even when used with mechanical shutters. With LEDs becoming the norm, this is only going to be more prevalent moving forward and a global shutter solves it. The flash speed sync is a huge benefit for any flash shooters. However, I'm most jealous of that 300mm 2.8. I expect the optics will be on par with the GM line, which is to say exceptional, but the real advantage is the weight. It only weighs a touch more than the nikon 600mm PF. The price of the a9iii is a bit surprising and I'm interested to see if there are many tradeoffs that needed to be made to achieve the global sensor.


Nov 07, 2023 at 11:38 AM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


huddy wrote:
As a Nikon shooter, I'm super pumped to see Sony keep moving the bar both with the global shutter and the 300/2.8.

300/2.8 as a prime may seem less important to lots of folks in a world with great 100-300/2.8 zooms (and it probably is), but this 300/2.8 is almost the same weight as an older Nikon 300 f/4 D IF-ED AF-S (1440g). I'm hugely in favor of all the lens makers figuring out how to shed mass and make lighter, fast telephotos. I haven't bought any exotic telephotos yet in Z mount (or F), but it's good to be spoiled
...Show more

The only drawback I see with the 300/2.8 is it's considerably more niche than something like the classic Canon 200/2 which had a tough but doable working distance for portraits. Due to compression and working distance, portraits seems almost immediately out of the question for this lens.

It's far too short to be used for meaningful wildlife applications without use of a TC. I was never particularly impressed with Sony IQ once adding their TCs but we'll see...this lens seems sharp enough out of the gate to hopefully make the 1.4 usable.

Sports shooters will love it, no doubt.



Nov 07, 2023 at 11:39 AM
Stoffer
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


randomguy wrote:
Not a fan of 24MP either, but it seems to deliver all my other wants. So I'll preorder one to be early in the queue. Can always change my mind later!

No idea when an A1II comes and not yet 100% sure it will use global shutter sensor either. Could be some sort of drawback with it that we don't know about yet.


I will say highly unlikely that we will see global shutter in the A1 II. First, Sony tend to reuse their expensive sensor for two camera generations. Second, I don’t think the global shutter technology is quite ready at twice the resolution and the base ISO of 250 on A9 III also indicates that high dynamic range at low ISO is probably not quite here yet on global shutter sensors.

So, Sony suggests that you get an A9 III and an A1 II when that time comes!



Nov 07, 2023 at 11:49 AM
artsupreme
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


huddy wrote:
As a Nikon shooter, I'm super pumped to see Sony keep moving the bar both with the global shutter and the 300/2.8.

300/2.8 as a prime may seem less important to lots of folks in a world with great 100-300/2.8 zooms (and it probably is), but this 300/2.8 is almost the same weight as an older Nikon 300 f/4 D IF-ED AF-S (1440g). I'm hugely in favor of all the lens makers figuring out how to shed mass and make lighter, fast telephotos. I haven't bought any exotic telephotos yet in Z mount (or F), but it's good to be spoiled
...Show more

I'm a Canon shooter who owns the 100-300 2.8 but I must say I would also love a 300 2.8 that's 3.24lbs. That's a featherweight gem and I'm sure the TC's will work great with it. A great lightweight Swiss army knife for travel.



Nov 07, 2023 at 11:50 AM
berimbolo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


I wonder if the GS will lead to a trickle down of stacked sensors to other bodies. Maybe an A7V with a 33mp stacked sensor at 20FPS? Would be neat


Nov 07, 2023 at 11:51 AM
Dave Sanders
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


RoamingScott wrote:
The only drawback I see with the 300/2.8 is it's considerably more niche than something like the classic Canon 200/2 which had a tough but doable working distance for portraits. Due to compression and working distance, portraits seems almost immediately out of the question for this lens.

It's far too short to be used for meaningful wildlife applications without use of a TC. I was never particularly impressed with Sony IQ once adding their TCs but we'll see...this lens seems sharp enough out of the gate to hopefully make the 1.4 usable.

Sports shooters will love it, no doubt.


In the days when I shared space with a fashion shooter, a 300/2.8 was pretty bread and butter for classic editorial work, especially outdoor stuff with fashion, swimsuits, etc. I doubt that has changed. Indeed, making it so light and handholdable will likely make it even more popular with this group. Now...given everything that has gone on in the industry...is there still a 'group' that does that work?



Nov 07, 2023 at 11:53 AM
IlyaSnopchenko
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


That 300/2.8 is unreal - it weighs the same as my old Canon 70-200/2.8. Has Sony quietly gotten on the DO bandwagon to shave off so much bulk?

Though unfortunately, while the weight is comparable, the price is decidedly not.



Nov 07, 2023 at 11:53 AM
Alan Parker
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Official: Sony A9 III and FE 300mm f/2.8 GM announced


IlyaSnopchenko wrote:
Has Sony quietly gotten on the DO bandwagon to shave off so much bulk?


That's honestly a great point. Sony is doing something, but what?
I feel like they are shaving off a lot of weight due to different materials in the body/housing of the lens but surely other companies can figure that out too? The 300/2.8 is DO size/weight without the DO aperture values.



Nov 07, 2023 at 11:58 AM
1      
2
       3              14       15       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              14       15       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.