FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       end

Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

j.liam wrote:
I've spoken to a few resellers when I was considering the GF670, who have warned me of the lens alignment issue. Been told it goes out of parallel often enough that the camera wasn't recommended.

Good to know!

Nov 07, 2023 at 04:16 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

campy wrote:
Is there a film section?

No, Huss is just manifesting it really hard

Nov 07, 2023 at 10:51 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

Lee Saxon wrote:
No, Huss is just manifesting it really hard

It will happen!

Nov 07, 2023 at 11:41 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

I find it funny that absolutely no one was like "sure, get the prism finder and keep the camera"

Doesn't look like people have/had much success here selling these beasts.

Nov 08, 2023 at 11:09 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

RoamingScott wrote:
I find it funny that absolutely no one was like "sure, get the prism finder and keep the camera"

Point number 2 in your original question makes it a non starter, so...?

Nov 08, 2023 at 11:37 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

RoamingScott wrote:

It's a great studio camera -- the UK portrait photographer Craig Fleming uses it almost exclusively, and he has a huge following on Instagram and other platforms; a lot of those people bought the RZ67 because "that's what Craig uses."

https://youtu.be/QR5Itjy4zB4?si=HQJqBEVAoqZvk18i

So I think if you decide to sell it, you just have to tap into that kind of market; there's still quite a bit of demand for these cameras.

Nov 08, 2023 at 11:51 AM
AndereObjektiv
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

RoamingScott wrote:

I did, but skipped the prism finder, and suggested studio flashes and the floating element 65mm L-A lens. The prism finder is a fine addition to the system and is readily available if you'd like it. It's a great camera, shoot it when you can. For portraiture, still life, macro the RZ67 Pro has a look that none really match. Their are competitors, for sure, but the way the lenses draw is quite unique. Mamiya MF digital back mount available too.

Nov 08, 2023 at 12:43 PM
lifeandmylens
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

I have a Hasselblad 503cw and added a 45 prism finder with a meter. It does make it larger, but much easier to compose. Things also aren't inverted which is great.

I also have a Mamiya 7. It's much smaller and has auto exposure. It's basically like a Leica M7, but in medium format. However, I like seeing the scene through the SLR on the Hasselblad more since I mostly use it for portraits. I also like having something different than a Leica's rangefinder. If I used it for travel or landscapes I'd choose the Mamiya. But before I bought it I called Bill Rogers and asked about reliability, parts etc. He said there are parts and they're reliable.

From the sounds of your post, I'd sell the camera you have now and get one that you would enjoy using.

Nov 08, 2023 at 12:46 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

bjhurley wrote:
It's a great studio camera -- the UK portrait photographer Craig Fleming uses it almost exclusively, and he has a huge following on Instagram and other platforms; a lot of those people bought the RZ67 because "that's what Craig uses."

https://youtu.be/QR5Itjy4zB4?si=HQJqBEVAoqZvk18i

So I think if you decide to sell it, you just have to tap into that kind of market; there's still quite a bit of demand for these cameras.

Craig didn't seem to have problem walking around using that anvil in the street!

Nov 08, 2023 at 12:53 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

There's one more option that has been at the back of my head...I really do enjoy the 110 lens on the RZ, and I've been very impressed by the GFX 110mm shots I've seen. It's not QUITE the film medium format look but it's damn close.

A GFX 50R would be roughly the same size as the Mamiya 7 type film bodies and would be a fun kit to travel and play with. The new 55/1.7 looks really nice as well.

Nov 08, 2023 at 12:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwin333

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

I have been going through a similar decision with my Bronica GS-1. The waste level finder is just not something I can get along with for landscapes and would also prefer a wider format. I am considering going to 4x5 and getting a 120 back for it. This definitely does not solve the size issue (that you are looking for), but would allow one to go back and forth between formats if there is a desire to move up to a larger format. As other have already mentioned, the fuji GW/GSW 690s would be my other option and may ultimately be the one I go with, at least initially. Another nice thing about the rangefinder options is not having to deal with the clunky mirror lockup work flow.

Nov 08, 2023 at 01:18 PM
panos.v
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

edwin333 wrote:
I have been going through a similar decision with my Bronica GS-1. The waste level finder is just not something I can get along with for landscapes and would also prefer a wider format. I am considering going to 4x5 and getting a 120 back for it. This definitely does not solve the size issue (that you are looking for), but would allow one to go back and forth between formats if there is a desire to move up to a larger format. As other have already mentioned, the fuji GW/GSW 690s would be my other option and may ultimately
...Show more

On the 4x5...do consider that you have to stick it on a tripod, focus and THEN put the back on. And then you cannot check focus any more or framing. So doh you take it off and check framing one more time. Then you put the back on. And then take the shot. Oh no you didn't, forgot to arm the shutter. And then take the shot. And then remember you didn't take the darkslide off. And then you finally take the shot. And hopefully rememeber to put the darkslide on before you take the back off.

After a few tries you do get it right. But you still have to frame, focus, then put the back on, take the shot, take the back off...

So just saying...if the WLF on the GS1 is a pain...

My point. If you want to shoot 120 might as well use a usuable camera than go back to 1800. If I'm smoking a pipe and wearing a top hat and using the 4x5 I might as well have the real estate. Then again I did buy that Lomo Instax graflok contraption which is even more a PITA to use.

Nov 08, 2023 at 04:58 PM
edwin333

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

panos.v wrote:
On the 4x5...do consider that you have to stick it on a tripod, focus and THEN put the back on. And then you cannot check focus any more or framing. So doh you take it off and check framing one more time. Then you put the back on. And then take the shot. Oh no you didn't, forgot to arm the shutter. And then take the shot. And then remember you didn't take the darkslide off. And then you finally take the shot. And hopefully rememeber to put the darkslide on before you take the back off.

After a few tries
...Show more

Thanks for restoring some reality to my thought process.....

Nov 08, 2023 at 05:15 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

Decided to list it and see if any nibbles. The more I think about a 50R, the more I want it. The prices are finally making sense for a non-ibis camera in 2023

Nov 09, 2023 at 12:27 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

Maybe move this thread to the new film forum? @Fred Miranda

Nov 09, 2023 at 02:07 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

Bought my RZ67 Pro Version I (version II has few improvements over the first version as I recall especially for usage with a digital back) with 110/2.8 Z-lens for $500 used in excellent condition in 2018. I have used the camera for a while but meanwhile have pretty much not used it for quite some time. It has been replaced by the Hasselblad 500 C/M which I prefer using for medium format film instead for several reasons where the Mamiya system lacks:

- Weight: the RZ67 Pro is more a studio camera. Carry it several miles for landscape photography, and you know why.

- Lenses without focus ring: Focusing works with the RZ67 series within the camera via bellow. This has pros and cons depending on usage: it is very good for close-up and shorter distance focusing without needing extension tubes. Debit is that the Z-lenses can't be used adapted to mirrorless cameras since they lack the focus ring. Another problem is that the RZ67 Pro has no fine adjustment wheel at the focus button (the RZ67 Pro II does), so I need to be very careful how much I turn the wheel to nail the focus within the viewfinder. A small extension or contraction of the bellow makes a big difference in lens focus!

- Mamiya allows to use lenses made for the RB67 camera also on the RZ67 cameras. Unfortunately, the lens design was changed quite a bit between these camera versions: when attaching RB-camera based lenses (named K/L lenses) on a newer RZ67 Pro, keep in mind that the exposure setting knob on the camera is overruled by the exposure ring on the K/L lens. You can easily make the mistake and expose like usual with the camera knob and realize later after developing the film that most frames are either under- or overexposed because you shot everything at the same exposure selected on the K/L lens ring. This is because the older K/L lenses lack electronic communication with the camera.

- K/L lenses are cheaper than the more modern Mamiya Z Sekor lenses, but there is another culprit to be aware of when it comes to long exposure shooting. Two remote cables are needed to accomplish this with K/L lenses: one has to be inserted into the lens body to open the lens leaf shutter after the shutter release button is pressed to lift the mirror up (M.UP insert), the other cable in the "B" insert closes the lens' leaf shutter after a given time. Tricky part is when the cable controlling the lens leaf shutter is removed - you have to remind yourself to triple-check (!) that the tiny screw-in M.UP thread on the lens body is fully immersed with the red ring NOT being visible around it. If this element remains protruded (meaning the red ring is visible!), the whole leaf shutter mechanism will be messed up in future exposures - the lens shutter will remain closed and you get unexposed frames!

- Mirror-up: The Mamiya RZ67 Pro can have the mirror flipped up before an exposure is taken. But the camera has not a designated button or lever to flip the mirror up (the 500 C/M does!) - instead you have to first attach a cable release into the long exposure lens port, then press the shutter release button of the camera which will flip the mirror up and open the camera back shutter. By pressing the cable release and holding it in open position for a given time, the exposure is taken without the mirror causing vibrations.

- Battery is needed for full functionality.

Big advantage of this Mamiya system over e.g. Hasselblad camera is the cost - Z-lenses cost only about 30-50% of similar Hasselblad lenses, K/L lenses are even cheaper.

Regarding the Mamiya 7 system: it is IMO severely overpriced at this point. I personally would shine away from it, and if medium format is desired rather vest into the Hasselblad 500 C/M series for film. But honestly from my personal experience with both Mamiya and Hasselblad systems, I admit I use it less and less now and prefer 35 mm film most if it comes to film. Digital medium format is a different question if to vest in - not convinced about it either since practical solutions just use a bit larger than full-frame format. In specific situations it might have a benefit over 60 MP FF sensor resolution and DR, but how often really? IMO your third option to vest funds in is probably the best of the choices given.

Nov 09, 2023 at 02:39 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

I know you said you just want a grab n go camera. But are you settled on it has to be 6x7? If you decide on widening your scope 6x6 TLRs or SLRs are great, they tend to be mechanical and fully serviceable, and are relatively compact.
I had not used my Rolleiflex GX in a while, because for some reason I had decided it was too much of a hassle vs grabbing a 35mm camera, but on my last trip I took it and after a short period of re-acclimation loved it again.
Getting my Portra back today...

All the folding 6x7 cameras are fragile. The Makina has a very delicate meter system which is easily breakable on top of that. The Mamiya 7 is 100% electronic. The Fuji GF670 - 100% electronic with possible battery drain issues and I think it now has to be sent to Japan for service if it has an electronic issue.

Hasselblads, Rolleiflexes, Yashicamats etc - service is local.

Nov 09, 2023 at 03:24 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

Desmolicious wrote:
Maybe move this thread to the new film forum? @Fred Miranda@

It's cross-posted.

Nov 09, 2023 at 03:51 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

Desmolicious wrote:
All the folding 6x7 cameras are fragile. The Makina has a very delicate meter system which is easily breakable on top of that. The Mamiya 7 is 100% electronic. The Fuji GF670 - 100% electronic with possible battery drain issues and I think it now has to be sent to Japan for service if it has an electronic issue.

The Makina 670 had a revised harness/circuit ribbon and isn't as vulnerable as the 67 was; the "lazy tongs" system is more robust than the mechanism in the Fuji; extending and folding with care will preclude problems. But even if the Makina's meter fails, unlike the Mamiya or Fuji, will work without the battery. Its /2.8 Nikkor lens is a stop faster and superb.

Nov 11, 2023 at 04:45 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

Mamiya 7s can definitely still be serviced. MAC will happily do it and has plenty of parts. I loved my RZ (and only used it for portraits) but portability ended up winning the day.

Nov 11, 2023 at 05:11 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.