New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

RoamingScott
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

I was VERY generously gifted an RZ67 Pro II, a 50/4.5 and the timeless 110/2.8 by an instagram follower years ago under the promise that I take it out and use it. Years later, I've run less than a dozen rolls through it. The max shutter speed of 1/400 makes working with it in anything but golden hour tough (if you don't want to juggle ND filters around). It sucks to travel with.

The idea of shooting 6x7 is super appealing, just not in this way. Being totally tripod bound with a top down viewfinder presents some real challenges in the field.

The way I see it, I have three options:

1) Divest this system to someone that would actually use it and perhaps pivot to something like a Mamiya 7/7ii. The main issue I have there is I've heard that those cameras are getting harder to work on/replace needed parts. Do I really want to sink that much money into a camera that I know will eventually kick the bucket? One of the parts that annoys me about the RZ67 Pro II is that for all of its lovely chunky mechanical nature, it MUST have a battery to be usable. One day the circuitry there will die and this gorgeous mechanical hunk of metal will simply die.

2) Invest in the prism finder so at least I can shoot from behind the camera instead of over it. This would increase the compositional usability TREMENDOUSLY, but I'd still have all my other gripes like size/weight/packing it/slow shutter speed/etc. this is still not a system I would invest in heavily, I would never seek out other lenses for this mount for example, so investing in a prism finder feels like wasted money to a degree.

3) sell it all and buy a really nice monitor for my editing station

Any 6x7 cameras and lenses out there you'd recommend I look at? My favorite 35mm focal length is 40mm, and I really want something I can just grab and go with.

Seeing this listing got my juices flowing.. .https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1830856/0?keyword=mamiya#16380771 I'd use the hell out of this with the 80mm handheld.

View previous versions

Nov 06, 2023 at 08:33 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

I don't have an answer and just wanted to say you fortunately were not gifted a Fuji GX680! A friend bought into that system as his medium format wedding solution and I think he somewhat regretted doing so, due to the sheer size and weight. But I think he also rented it out to commercial studio photographers he assisted, so maybe it worked out in the end. Like the Fuji, the smaller RZ is IMO more of a studio camera.

I wonder if you might be better served by something like a fixed lens medium format rangefinder camera, such as the Fuji GW690 (Texas Leica), though I'm guessing anything along those lines also cost a premium nowadays and has questionable serviceability.

I always wanted to get a Mamiya 6, but then digital came and I moved on...

Nov 06, 2023 at 10:35 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

rscheffler wrote:
I don't have an answer and just wanted to say you fortunately were not gifted a Fuji GX680! A friend bought into that system as his medium format wedding solution and I think he somewhat regretted doing so, due to the sheer size and weight. But I think he also rented it out to commercial studio photographers he assisted, so maybe it worked out in the end. Like the Fuji, the smaller RZ is IMO more of a studio camera.

I wonder if you might be better served by something like a fixed lens medium format rangefinder camera, such as
...Show more

I looked at the GW690 at one point and was put off by no light meter. Dumb as it sounds, the M7ii is best operated in auto exposure mode, which is highly appealing...almost turns it into a medium format point and shoot, which suits my style of shooting. The rangefinder window not showing the actual composition...not so much.

I could make a decent amount just outright selling the RZ off, and would have plenty of fun options on how to spend that money.

Nov 06, 2023 at 10:48 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

I just quickly browsed a GF670/Bessa III group's discussions on Flickr and it seemed many liked its light meter. And I think it has aperture priority? But also sounded like some had reliability concerns about it...

Nov 06, 2023 at 11:24 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

First off, this should be posted in the film section…
Secondly, exposure is just a suggestion. get a GW 670. Pretty much indestructible (as long as you don’t break it)

Nov 06, 2023 at 11:35 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

Plaubel Makina 67/670 is probably the most portable of the 6x7 options available, followed by the GW 670.

Nov 06, 2023 at 11:48 PM
AndereObjektiv
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

Start shooting still life with some nice Broncolor lights. Love my RZ but it's a studio camera, for me. Also the 65mm f/4 L-A is just a marvel.

Nov 06, 2023 at 11:58 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

For lightweight/simplicity I agree on one of the GW670 or GSW670 (or 680 or 690) variants and use a metering app or a handheld meter.

Pentax 67 is big and heavy but handles like any other SLR. Easy to shoot handheld and you can get a match needle metering prism for it. The optional big wood handle makes a huge difference for carrying. The 67II has an aperture priority AE prism and other modern touches.

I pretty much always grab my Pentax 67 over the GSW690II unless I really need to minimize weight.

Nov 07, 2023 at 12:11 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

RoamingScott wrote:
I was VERY generously gifted an RZ67 Pro II, a 50/4.5 and the timeless 110/2.8 by an instagram follower years ago under the promise that I take it out and use it. Years later, I've run less than a dozen rolls through it. The max shutter speed of 1/400 makes working with it in anything but golden hour tough (if you don't want to juggle ND filters around). It sucks to travel with.

The idea of shooting 6x7 is super appealing, just not in this way. Being totally tripod bound with a top down viewfinder presents some real challenges in the
...Show more

I had a RB67, some thoughts from me.

1/400 should not be an issue. Shoot Portra 160 and just let it overexpose. It will do just fine even 3-4 stops over.

The Mamiya 7 is a nice camera but you have a slow-ish lens with a 1m min distance. You're not doing close-up portraits with that!

What do you mean it is heavy? I used to go on holiday with it plus the prism and the RB is heavier!

But seriously, if you don't use it sell it to someone who will. No point tying up all that money into something in a cupboard.

Nov 07, 2023 at 03:31 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

In contrast to the Mamiya 7, Plaubel Makina 67/670….f/2.8.

Nov 07, 2023 at 07:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

leolab
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

Scott

FWIW the RB/RZ is beyond my threshold for size and weight too.

There really is nothing quite like the simplicity and compactness of the Mamiya 7, and in my experience nothing is quite as good lens-wise.

If you are willing to step down a little in negative size, you have LOTS of options at 6x6 format, including the Mamiya 6 which runs cheaper than the 7, lots of nice TLRs all with ~40mm equivalent lenses, the Rollei 6000/SLX series which have AE…

Nov 07, 2023 at 07:50 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

leolab wrote:
Scott

There really is nothing quite like the simplicity and compactness of the Mamiya 7, and in my experience nothing is quite as good lens-wise.

As great as the 7 is, its Achilles Heel is its dependence on electronics; aside from basic mechanical repairs it is irreparable. The Plaubel is 1-stop faster than any Mamiya 7 lens and will still operate if the meter dies.

Edited on Nov 07, 2023 at 12:43 PM · View previous versions

Nov 07, 2023 at 09:46 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

j.liam wrote:
As great as the 7 is, its Achilles Heel is its dependence on electronics; aside from basic mechanical repairs it is irreparable. The Plaubel is 1-stop stop faster than any Mamiya 7 lens and will still operate if the meter dies.

This is my biggest concern. I bought the FM3a as my "last" 35mm camera because of it being fully mechanical without a battery.

I'd hate to invest heavily in a medium format body that bellies up the moment a critical electronic component dies.

Edit: looks like the GW670iii is fully mechanical as well. That would be my front runner, just looking at options. looks like it might be hard to find a clean copy.

Nov 07, 2023 at 09:49 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

The Fuji GA645i Pro also looks pretty fun if you want a medium format p&s.

Nov 07, 2023 at 01:39 PM
campy
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

If you want 6x7 and 6x9 there's always the Mamiya Super 23 and Universal. Use as a point and shoot or tripod and they are cheap. I bought one in excellent condition for under $300 but only shot one roll with it. Not the cameras fault but my fault.

Nov 07, 2023 at 02:06 PM
campy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

Desmolicious wrote:
First off, this should be posted in the film section…
Secondly, exposure is just a suggestion. get a GW 670. Pretty much indestructible (as long as you don’t break it)

Is there a film section?

Nov 07, 2023 at 02:08 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

campy wrote:
Is there a film section?

Fred is starting to bend...

Nov 07, 2023 at 02:12 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

RoamingScott wrote:
Looks like the GW670iii is fully mechanical as well. That would be my front runner, just looking at options. looks like it might be hard to find a clean copy.

It is, but the GW670iii has become pricier than its 6x8 and 6x9 sisters--all hefty girls. Also remember that the lens is a little longer at 90mm and slow (ƒ/4) to boot.

Nov 07, 2023 at 02:16 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

That folding Fuji - GF670? - with AE is very good. Just be careful not to bend the lens stays, and make sure it does not have a battery drain issue. That is easy to check - if the light meter stays on, it is defective.

Nov 07, 2023 at 02:35 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

I've spoken to a few resellers when I was considering the GF670, who have warned me of the lens alignment issue. Been told it goes out of parallel often enough that the camera wasn't recommended.

Nov 07, 2023 at 04:07 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.