Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Can Godox XPro II cross-trigger Godox flashes between camera mounts?

slrl0ver
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can Godox XPro II cross-trigger Godox flashes between camera mounts?

Sorry for the confusing title, basically I wanted to know if I buy some Godox V860III for Olympus/Panasonic, if I could use a Godox XPro II trigger on a Canon body to trigger these Oly/Panasonic flashes (in non-HSS). So cross-triggering but not trying to fire a Canon flash with Godox trigger. Could even be manual and not TTL.

I'm looking to buy the 860III primarily for use on-camera use with Panasonic bodies but have a few older Canon bodies that are great for quick things and would like to re-use the same flashes mounted on a tri-pod with the EOS/EF bodies and wireless trigger.

Oct 30, 2023 at 04:24 AM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can Godox XPro II cross-trigger Godox flashes between camera mounts?

For using non-Godox flashes with the Godox X series transmitters you will need to add Godox receivers that convert the Godox X series communication signals to those required by the brand of speedlight that you wish to control. One of these will be needed for each of these other speedlites. See this Amazon page for more information, but they are available from other sources of Godox equipment. It was just easier to bring up this Amazon page to show them.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Godox+X1R&crid=857HW5LH89UR&sprefix=godox+x1r%2Caps%2C99&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Charley

Oct 30, 2023 at 09:58 AM
slrl0ver
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can Godox XPro II cross-trigger Godox flashes between camera mounts?

Hi Charley,

Thanks for the reply.

So basically I want to get Godox V860III for Olympus/Panasonic mount, but trigger this flash from a Canon body. So would a Godox XPro II trigger (for Canon) communicate with a Godox V860III for Olympus/Panasonic?

I think what you gave me a link to would effectively be like a "wireless PC" to a non-Godox flash which is helpful but not exactly what I was hoping for, since this way I'd have to manually set the power levels on each flash (Godox OR third-party brand).

I know that Nissin DOES support cross-triggering between their own trigger / Nissin flashes even for different mounts, but apparently none of the Nissin flashes are compatible with the Panasonic S1 / S1R ; I did reach out to their North American distributor who asked Nissin Japan on my behalf.

Oct 30, 2023 at 02:35 PM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can Godox XPro II cross-trigger Godox flashes between camera mounts?

Correct. You only need one brand specific TTL matched Godox device (trigger or flash) attached to your camera. You can then control any other X radio compatible lights.

Canon body + XproIIC --triggers--> V860IIIO

Enjoy your Frankenlighting.

Oct 30, 2023 at 06:02 PM
slrl0ver
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can Godox XPro II cross-trigger Godox flashes between camera mounts?

jeffbuzz,

Thanks! . For off camera flash I don't this is the craziest thing I've heard of!

Oct 30, 2023 at 06:52 PM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can Godox XPro II cross-trigger Godox flashes between camera mounts?

Another 'YES'. You need the X Pro Transmitter that is designed for your camera brand. It then transmits to the lights in the Godox X System communication format, so any Godox light that is designed to work with the X communication has a receiver in it for the X system. If you want to use another brand of light, you can buy an Godox X1R receiver that matches the brand of light that you wish to use with the Godox X System, and it will convert the X system signals to match that brand of light and it will then operate this light correctly. These can even be used with sync cables, if you only want to trigger the odd brand of light.

It's interesting that the Godox X2T transmitters have a hot shoe on their top that allows another brand of transmitter and lights that are designed to work together, allowing you to use your old flash transmitter to piggy back on top of the Godox X2T transmitter and continue to work along with the Godox X system and lights. I did this for awhile when switching from my old lights to Godox, so I could continue to use both the old and new systems at the same time while building my budget to buy more Godox X System lights. Using both systems at once helped me discover how good the Godox System was, and how frustrating my old light system was. This helped me make the decision to finally brake my piggy bank and I replaced all of the lights in my studio as well as my field kit with Godox and Flashpoint lights and transmitters. Then I found another photographer to sell the old stuff to. I have been Godox / Flashpoint only user for over 3 years now, and haven't ever looked back. It has been a great decision. No failures at all either, except operator failures when I bump a channel or group setting or similar operator error.

Charley

Nov 01, 2023 at 08:25 PM
Jay Ford
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can Godox XPro II cross-trigger Godox flashes between camera mounts?

You can often use the remotes on different brands of cameras, with limitations.

I shoot with Sony and Canon. I broke an XT-Pro(s) and was able to use an X2T(c) on my Sonys until a replacement S arrived. In Manual, sync was limited to 1/160th. If you only seldom use your Canons with flash, you might be able to just use your Panasonic remote, though I'd try it out before relying on it in the field.

Dec 11, 2023 at 03:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CharleyL
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Can Godox XPro II cross-trigger Godox flashes between camera mounts?

When hot shoes were first added to cameras they standardized the hot shoe shape and the contact that fired the flash as the center contact of all hot shoes. Then somehow all of the camera manufacturers decided not to standardize the communication contacts of the hot shoes and instead each go their own ways, probably to keep us buying only the same brand of flash that was made by each manufacturer of their own cameras. Today there are several variations, and Godox has found a way to standardize the communication link by making their X system transmitters with special designs for each brand of camera. By using the correct version of flash transmitter for each camera manufacturer's product, the transmitted signals to the receivers in the lights then became standardized. This allowed any flash that has the X band receiver in it or attached to it to be able to work with any version of the X band transmitters. They even make several receivers that are designed to work with different brands of lights that aren't designed to work with their X Band system, making these lights now compatible with the X Band signals from the transmitters. These receivers have hot shoes on them and signal contacts where they need to be to operate that brand of light correctly.

So the center pin of hot shoes is standardized and will fire many brands of lights. It's the power level, TTL signals, etc. That need to be converted to the Godox X Band. The lights will fire, but you will need to manually adjust the lights at each light if you don't buy one of these X Band receivers for these other brands of lights.

At least Godox has taken a giant step toward making multiple brands of cameras and multiple brands of lights to all work together. For the last 70 or so years the only way to get a camera and flash working well together has been by only buying flashes that were made by the same manufacturer as the camera. My studio and field kits are now all Godox and Flashpoint (a rebrand of Godox) and I no longer need to deal with these ancient brand specific limitations and flash failures. My only failures now seem to be limited to operator errors (wrong channel, etc.).

Charley

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:45 PM
exdeejjjaaaa
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Can Godox XPro II cross-trigger Godox flashes between camera mounts?

CharleyL wrote:
Godox has found a way to standardize the communication link by making their X system transmitters with special designs for each brand of camera.

and more smart companies just do universal (TTL included) transmitters ( Jinbei for example ) with Sony hotshoe through a small pass-through adapter... so you get just one transmitter and it works on your Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, etc camera

Feb 18, 2024 at 01:43 PM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Can Godox XPro II cross-trigger Godox flashes between camera mounts?

Yes, there are now more universal transmitters, but not back 4 years ago when I went with Godox/Flashpoint. These flash transmitters are now becoming available, but at considerably higher prices. At present, I already have two Godox X PROc, one X PROf, and one X PROc II, and one XT2c, so I haven't investigated any of these multi camera versions. I may someday, if what I already have begins to give me trouble. So far, I have no complaints at all with them. They do everything that I need and I have spares for the important cameras.

Charley

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:58 PM
exdeejjjaaaa
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Can Godox XPro II cross-trigger Godox flashes between camera mounts?

CharleyL wrote:
but not back 4 years ago when I went with Godox/Flashpoint.

Please, study the matter .... Jinbei trigger TR-Q7 (mark I, now they have mark II) was released more than 5 years ago !

official site video posted on Nov 19, 2018

"...Multi Brand Hotshoe Design, Compatible with Canon/Nikon/Fuji/Panasonic/Olympus/Sony(with Adapter)..."

Godox has some decent points over Jinbei as a system ( so not issues with what you went with - I have both Godox and Jinbei strobes and triggers), but in this aspect they are sooooo below the par it is not even funny

Feb 19, 2024 at 05:58 PM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Can Godox XPro II cross-trigger Godox flashes between camera mounts?

I had not heard of Jinbei when I decided to go with Godox/Flashpoint I began with the XT2c and two TT600 speedlites. With the XT2c I was able to still use my old lights with the old transmitter stacked on top of the XT2c. I could use both old and new at the same time. Doing this didn't take me long to be convinced that Godox was the way to go. So then I nearly drained my photo budget buying Godox/Flashpoint lights just as fast as possible to replace everything that I had. I haven't needed anything better, so haven't even looked at what else was/is available out there. If Jinbei works for you, great. Only one of my cameras isn't Canon, and I've already purchased an X Pro to work with it, so I don't need anything else.

I ditched my Sony gear many years ago. Adapting to/from them to the rest of the Photography World was always difficult. Wireless remotes, flash, etc. Then I went with Fuji for a few years, but didn't like their control positioning. Then I tried and liked Canon. I had owned Nikon in the film days and early in digital, but I was never very comfortable with them, so all of my "mostly used" cameras are now Canon, with one Fuji X still in occasional use. I have nothing really against these other brands, but do like my Canons, and their control positioning, balance, color reproduction, etc. so far. All of the better brands take great photos too, so it's what works and feels comfortable for you that is important as far as camera choice goes.

My flash lighting is all Godox/Flashpoint now, and my continuous studio lighting (mostly for video, but also for pet and baby photos) is a mix of GVM flat panels, Genaray LED mono lights, and I have two 500 watt focusing filament spot lights that I picked up used recently (because the price was too good to refuse). When using a theater curtain style pleated backdrop and these spots, I can simulate the appearance of a theater stage environment in my studio for photo and video shots. They have only been used for some lighting experiments so far though, but I do already have the theater curtain style backdrop.

Charley

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:14 PM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Can Godox XPro II cross-trigger Godox flashes between camera mounts?

Jinbei isn't well known or widely distributed under their own name in the US or Canada. Many Jinbei lights are sold under the Westcott brand name.

Feb 24, 2024 at 11:49 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.