New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

S1R still worth it?

lukeiam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · S1R still worth it?

I have the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG DN ART for $450 in my cart and I'm very seriously thinking about grabbing an S1R or maybe an S1/5...My only concern is lack of tether control and whether Panasonic is ditching their line (I've heard murmurings). This might be a good solution for me, as someone frustrated with the lack of 1.4 primes on the Z platform (or 3rd party support) and not into Sony...

I'd love the S1R and possible grabbing one for $1300-1400 and maybe a video-centered body later...Panasonic does video well!

Oct 29, 2023 at 05:21 PM
C.Rankin
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · S1R still worth it?

I still love my S1 and S1R which I also got at amazing prices. The AF is a lot better now after the firmware updates and the files are great to edit. I much prefer the RAWs from the S1R over anything Sony. I mostly shoot portraits with the Sigma 85 1.4 DG DN on the S1 and S1R. I use the S1 mostly for handheld video now. You can check out my Flickr if you want to see sample pics. Plus the EVF on both the S1 and S1R is awesome.

Oct 29, 2023 at 07:07 PM
flash
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · S1R still worth it?

Panasonic just dropped a huge firmware update to their S5II and S5XII. So I'm not that concerned.

The S1R is a brilliant camera and criminally under rated because it doesn't have Sony level continuous AF. In every other respect it's as good or better than most bodies on the market.

I reckon there's a new S1R or maybe S5R (I'd really like that!!) coming fairly soon. It looks like Leica is gearing up for the SL3 and they share tech with Panasonic.

Gordon

Oct 29, 2023 at 07:52 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · S1R still worth it?

The S1R became sort of famous for a while due to its price point and at the same time allowing M-lenses mounted with M/L adapter on this camera with good results. This has calmed down after Nikon for example also offered thinner sensor glass covers in their mirrorless cameras allowing to use M-lenses adapted to them with good results.

The S1R was at the time the EVF-based mirrorless full-frame camera with best compatibility using manual focus rangefinder lenses and competing sort of in-house with the Leica SL series and offering as part of the Leica-Panasonic-Sigma alliance L-mount options for AF and video.

At this point, the S1R is reasonable to get for its current used price point and especially if L-mount lenses would be used with it. In case no L-mount lenses are owned, it might be wise to look for newer mirrorless alternatives for example from Nikon. IMO it depends which kind of lens mount is preferably used to determine which new (or older) mirrorless camera to get. If rangefinder M-mount lenses are used, I would shine away from Canon mirrorless cameras since they still use one of the thickest sensor stacks and glass covers out there which is a culprit for these kind of lenses.

Oct 30, 2023 at 06:15 AM
lukeiam
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · S1R still worth it?

Appreciate all the help here!

How does it perform in studio with lights (dimly lit) and CAF?

Oct 30, 2023 at 06:47 AM
jmmaher
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · S1R still worth it?

lukeiam wrote:

Not very good at all. I owned one for a short while and while the image quality was very nice the CAF made it fairly unusable, at least for me. For landscapes and other non moving objects it was great.

Oct 30, 2023 at 08:17 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · S1R still worth it?

I wish the S1R has the exact sensor stack thickness as the Leica SL2 just to play nice with M-lenses.

Oct 30, 2023 at 09:30 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · S1R still worth it?

Fred Miranda wrote:
I wish the S1R has the exact sensor stack thickness as the Leica SL2 just to play nice with M-lenses.

In case Leica made the SL with smaller body and better optimized for use with M lenses, the whole system would have gained a lot more interest. But since the body size is not comparable to M-cameras and the M-lens adaptability works with some lenses better than with others, we still wait for an "EVF M" camera......

In the past this helped the S1R to gain some interest - there were many YouTube videos showcasing all kind of M-lenses being used on the S1R in lieu of a similar compact, less pricey EVF-based mirrorless camera system allowing this lens compatibility with adapter. It wasn't perfect either but one of the best alternatives to Leica M and SL. Moving forward, Nikon caught up with their MLC sensors also making them with thinner stack for example. One reason why Panasonic FF MLCs are less often discussed now.

Oct 30, 2023 at 11:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lukeiam
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · S1R still worth it?

I appreciate this discussion...and I think it's convinced me away from Lumix (for now)

Oct 30, 2023 at 12:16 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · S1R still worth it?

The S1R has some great features including pixel shifting with in-body creation of the composite raw. Also some nice Panasonic UI touches like being able to configure your own grid lines. But be advised it's a very heavy body vs competing models, in case that's important to you.

Oct 30, 2023 at 01:14 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · S1R still worth it?

lukeiam wrote:

---------------------------------------------

jmmaher wrote:
Not very good at all. I owned one for a short while and while the image quality was very nice the CAF made it fairly unusable, at least for me. For landscapes and other non moving objects it was great.

Did you use that camera after the AF firmware update?

For stills and subjects moving but no running the CAF is fine. You'll see some pulsing in the EVF but the actual shots are sharp and the hit rate is actually better than you'd expect. So in studio or something like that it's good. Basically the same as the SL2. But if the subject is running or moving erratically it's not even close to a mid range current Sony or Canon.

For video? No. Just no.

Gordon

Oct 30, 2023 at 02:57 PM
jmmaher
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · S1R still worth it?

Not sure about the update. It was up to date when I used it. Last shot taken 8/17/2021.

In the studio it was fine (90+) percent of the time. However for the same person outside it was hit or miss at best.

I really liked some things about the camera but CAF was not one of them.

In a studio environment:

DC-S1    LUMIX S 24-105/F4 lens    100mm    f/6.3    1/160s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 31, 2023 at 02:44 PM
jmmaher
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · S1R still worth it?

Just noticed this was taken with the S1 not the SR1.

Oct 31, 2023 at 02:45 PM
Paul Z

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · S1R still worth it?

Can someone help explain what difference one could expect comparing the native iso of 640 of S1/S5(II) to iso 100 on say a Z6ii? The Panasonics are advertised to do iso 100 (before extended range) but from what I am trying to understand from reading comments, a 'normal' lut (and curve) is applied to achieve this.

Is there a tradeoff?

e.g. If Z6ii has max DR at iso 100 but Lumix has its max DR at iso 640, does that mean the Nikon has reduced chance of clipping highlights, and Lumix has greater ability for shadow recovery (when both shooting at iso 100)?

Nov 06, 2023 at 06:08 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · S1R still worth it?

In case Leica made the SL with smaller body and better optimized for use with M lenses, the whole system would have gained a lot more interest.

I've never read anything or heard anyone in all the years since this body came out that says anything else.

Why Leica hasn't listened is a mystery to me. It seems so blindingly obvious.

Nov 09, 2023 at 01:15 PM
sfogg
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · S1R still worth it?

flash wrote:
Did you use that camera after the AF firmware update?

For stills and subjects moving but no running the CAF is fine. You'll see some pulsing in the EVF but the actual shots are sharp and the hit rate is actually better than you'd expect. So in studio or something like that it's good. Basically the same as the SL2. But if the subject is running or moving erratically it's not even close to a mid range current Sony or Canon.

For video? No. Just no.

Gordon

I used my S1R with the Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN and shot some cross country meets with it in CAF. With runners coming at me the eye detect was picking them up just fine and was around an 80-90% keeper rate when shooting at medium motor drive setting at f1.4 or f2 with bursts of 5 or 6 shots each. It really surprised me how well it did.

Obviously, for a heavy sports shooter it wouldn't be a first choice but it was far from unusable in this setting and didn't feel limiting at all.

If the S1R is still worth it if one can find a good deal on a lightly used body it is a great camera. I bought mine with the 24-105 for $2k in mint condition. I sold my M240 and my GFX 50R after getting the S1R. EVF is amazing, RAW files are flexible. If one likes alternate aspect ratios it also has more options than most (outside of the GFX series). The Sigma 24mm f3.5 in 65:24 mode is basically the same fov as the Xpan with the 45mm. In 1:1 with the Sigma 17mm you have about the FOV of the Hasselblad SWC. The Sigma DG DN lenses all have an aperture ring on the lenses too.

The biggest annoyance with it when using adapted lenses is that every time you turn it on (or it comes out of sleep) it asks you to confirm the focal length of the lens.

Nov 18, 2023 at 01:06 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.