New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13      
       15       16       17       end

Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

Alistair1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #1 · p.14 #1 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

1bwana1 wrote:
Interesting, Do you have the format, mpx, bit rate, and DR numbers from both sides of that?

Pretty sure I'm about to.

Nov 25, 2023 at 09:24 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.14 #2 · p.14 #2 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

I went from Canon to Nikon. I had the 6D, 5D Mark II, and 5D Mark III. Once I got the D800, I was amazed at the detail, dynamic range, and from there I was all Nikon. To this day, you can not get comparable glass from Canon or Sony to match Nikons 1.8 S primes (24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm) at the price Nikon sells. The Z 50mm 1.8 S to me is a must have. VERY good IQ and the price for a mint 50mm is $350-400 which is insane. To get the same 50mm performance from Sony or Canon you have to pay big bucks. Then their bodies have come a long way. I had both gens of the Z6 and Z7s and as others have said, the colors, UI, and ease of use cemented it for me. I'm awaiting the Z6 III anxiously, or may give in for a Z8. I had the Z9 and it was stellar... and as I get more into video, the Z9 may be back on my wish list.

Nov 25, 2023 at 09:35 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #3 · p.14 #3 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

Alistair1 wrote:
Pretty sure I'm about to.

Looking forward to learning about it. But You did say you had it for "a couple of years now". Was that an error?

Surely you know the specs on what you have, so let's start there.

Camera=?
Format =?
MPX=?
BitDepth=?
DR=?

If the camera you are referring to is the Nikon Z9 then from a quick look at the research on line:

Format = standard jpeg
MPX= 11
BitDepth= 8
DR = 8.6

If you are comparing to the unreleased A9III there are things we know, and things we don't.

Format = RAW
MPX = 24.6
BitDepth = 14
DR= This is the only parameter that we don't have exact numbers for. But many have looked at the issue and made some predictions based on the ISO of 250. The A9II has a DR of 14 stops with a base ISO of 100. That implies that the A9III will have a DR of 1.25 lower or around 12.75 stops. However, Sony without giving numbers has said that the A9III outperforms this calculation. Even if that is not the case and we use the lower numbers, 12.75 DR at 14bits, 24.6 mpx RAW, is a whole lot better IQ than 11 mpx, 8 bit, DR8.6 jpeg files. But we should hold final judgment on this until we get actual numbers fro testing.

If the camera you have had for a couple of years is not the Z9, then let us look at that and do similar comparisons.

Nov 25, 2023 at 09:37 PM
ajamils
• • • •
p.14 #4 · p.14 #4 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

Off topic. Please take it to a new thread.

1bwana1 wrote:
Looking forward to learning about it. But You did say you had it for "a couple of years now". Was that an error?

Camera=?
Format =?
MPX=?
BitDepth=?
DR=?

If the camera you are referring to is the Nikon Z9 then from a quick look at the research on line:

Format = standard jpeg
MPX= 11
BitDepth= 8
DR = 8.6

If you are comparing to the unreleased A9III there are things we know, and things we don't.

Format = RAW
MPX = 24.6
BitDepth = 14
DR= This is the only parameter that we don't have exact numbers for. But many have
...Show more

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:45 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.14 #5 · p.14 #5 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

duncang wrote:
What's the next big thing for you guys ?

A Sony-free Nikon forum.

Nov 26, 2023 at 02:40 AM
Alistair1
• • •
p.14 #6 · p.14 #6 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

1bwana1 wrote:

Camera=?
Format =?
MPX=?
BitDepth=?
DR=?

Format = standard jpeg
MPX= 11
BitDepth= 8
DR = 8.6

Format = RAW
MPX = 24.6
BitDepth = 14
DR= This is the only parameter that we don't have exact numbers for. But many have
...Show more
Thanks, we agree.

Nov 26, 2023 at 03:25 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.14 #7 · p.14 #7 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

Alistair1 wrote:
Thanks, we agree.

Thanks for a nice conversation. Always appreciated.

Steve

Nov 26, 2023 at 07:11 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.14 #8 · p.14 #8 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

Lance B wrote:
A Sony-free Nikon forum.

About as likely as a Sony free Nikon camera...

Nov 26, 2023 at 07:13 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.14 #9 · p.14 #9 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

Lance B wrote:
A Sony-free Nikon forum.

😆😆😆 Or at least Sony trolls who know the basics of photography.

Nov 26, 2023 at 08:19 AM
lukeiam
• • • •
p.14 #10 · p.14 #10 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

Another thread corrupted

Nov 26, 2023 at 08:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cvrle59
• • • •
p.14 #11 · p.14 #11 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

Insecurity was mentioned here about Nikon users, by some.
I would actually reverse it, at least based on my case.
I used to hang in Sony forum, mostly reading and learning. It was a few years back, in between selling my d700, and first Z-mount releases.
I was trying Sony and mostly Fuji options, the time, I felt very insecure, as I wasn't sure, it was what I really wanted.
I'll do it again, if I get that kind of insecurity feeling..

Nov 26, 2023 at 09:03 AM
Colin F
• • • •
p.14 #12 · p.14 #12 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

I just created a new thread on the Sony forum which dovetails into all of this, and would appreciate any feedback:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1834179

Nov 26, 2023 at 02:13 PM
phinix
• • •
p.14 #13 · p.14 #13 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

Decision made, Sony gear on sale, Nikon Zf pre-ordered
I picked body only as I dont know if 40/2 kit would be something to wait longer.
If lens production would delay it further, at least when they get bodies in stock, I would get it FCFS.
Then I'll get lens separately.

Edited on Nov 27, 2023 at 10:30 AM · View previous versions

Nov 27, 2023 at 08:29 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.14 #14 · p.14 #14 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

Congratulations on your new camera. I am sure it will bring you many years of enjoyable image making!

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:10 AM
phinix
• • •
p.14 #15 · p.14 #15 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

1bwana1 wrote:
Congratulations on your new camera. I am sure it will bring you many years of enjoyable image making!

Thank you, can't wait to receive it
I'm hoping to stick with this one for years, till I'll have grandkids, but then we should have Zf Mk4 by then

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:32 AM
Ai_Print
• • •
p.14 #16 · p.14 #16 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

"Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?"

Yes,

On Saturday I switched from watching mid-day TV on my Sony Bravia 65" to going outside and making images on my Nikon Z8.

Seriously though, I am sure Sony makes a great camera system now, several of my colleagues use them. I just have zero interest in them as a close to 40 year user of Nikon, could not even tell you what the Sony models are and what they do.

Great TV though!

Nov 27, 2023 at 02:32 PM
DWOfPaul
• •
p.14 #17 · p.14 #17 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

I started with a Nikon DSLR setup, then I ended getting into Sony mirrorless as a smaller travel setup, and now I jumped back into Nikon about a month ago with a Z8.

The best way I can compare my experience with Nikon and Sony is Nikon makes great cameras that take great photos and Sony makes good technology that take great photos. The Z8 closely reminds me of my Nikon DSLRS, it gets out of my way and let me take the photos I am trying to make. My Sony cameras feel more like using a tech gadget than a camera.

So far I am finding the Nikon Z8 as close to perfect for my needs as a cameras has come. I like taking many diffrent styles of pictures, and the Z8 can do it all. I feel like this is one of the areas I struggle with Sony, you almost need diffrent cameras for diffrent subject matters.

This part is defeintly personal preference but I also enjoy the handling, build quality, and image colors of Nikon cameras better. For example the light up buttons are a great touch Nikon has, that I wish Sony had.

As of now I am still planning on keeping most if not all of my Sony kit for use on the go. Though I do feel like going forward most of my new purchase will be with Nikon.

It's a great time to be a photographer with all the options we have today. And since the Z mount can adapt any DSLR lens, and Sony E mount lenses, the possibilities are almost endless.

Nov 30, 2023 at 07:11 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.14 #18 · p.14 #18 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

A friend who used to use Nikon DSLR and switched to A9 and A1 for the past 3-4 years tried her
husband's Z9 yesterday after not touching Nikon camera since her switch.
Basically she said that she felt that on perched bird, Z9 grabbed the bird and focus on the eye
faster than her A1 ( she was using A1 with 600GM or 400GM and Z9 with 600PF ).
When we were shooting spoon-billed sandpiper, basically following that one single bird wadding in the mud among lots of other local sandpipers for extended period of time waiting for it to take off or do something interesting, she felt once A1 latched on to the bird, it stayed on the birds longer than Z9 as
other birds got in front, the bird turned or went into large group with other birds. She felt she did not have to revert back to single focus to pick out the specific bird as often with A1 (she tried auto-area and 3D tracking with bird recognition in Z9 mostly). No comment on bif yesterday as she was using Z9 with pre-shooting a lot for birds taking off a branch as we were shooting red avadavat which she struggled with A1, not from AF standpoint but the tiny bird is fast and really had no tell as to when it would take off. It might perched for minutes or seconds at a time so she wanted pre-shooting to make life easier. A9iii will have pre shooting but she said she does not want that mainly because she wanted more pixels for cropping when neccessary. Will have to see what A1 ii brings but in the mean time, look like she will use her husband's Z9 for certain situations and A1 for other things.

Nov 30, 2023 at 07:36 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.14 #19 · p.14 #19 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

ArizonaImage wrote:
I went from Canon to Nikon. I had the 6D, 5D Mark II, and 5D Mark III. Once I got the D800, I was amazed at the detail, dynamic range, and from there I was all Nikon.

I know many people who followed the exact same path.

It was the start of the massive exodus away from Canon with even more people then going Sony mirrorless. In Tokyo I don't know anyone still shooting Canon professionally. I am sure there are still quite many but none around me. Many kept Canon lenses adapted to Sony though.

As we speak there are around 40 Canon R3s available second hand at Map camera with apparently no takers although the price was lowered a lot. There are only 1 Z9, no Z8 and 1 a1... crazy.

I was shooting a festival a few months back with Z8/Z9, 400mm f2.8 TC, 200mm f2.0 VR, 85mm f1.2 and 50mm f1.2 GM next to a guy shooting with 2x1DxMkii and he was sort of desperate comparing the results we were getting in terms of hit rate, focus accuracy and bokeh quality. His conclusion was "the R1 is coming soon".... right...

Cheers,
Bernard

Nov 30, 2023 at 07:48 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.14 #20 · p.14 #20 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

bernardl wrote:
I know many people who followed the exact same path.

It was the start of the massive exodus away from Canon with even more people then going Sony mirrorless. In Tokyo I don't know anyone still shooting Canon professionally. I am sure there are still quite many but none around me. Many kept Canon lenses adapted to Sony though.

As we speak there are around 40 Canon R3s available second hand at Map camera with apparently no takers although the price was lowered a lot. There are only 1 Z9, no Z8 and 1 a1... crazy.

I was shooting a festival a few
...Show more

R3 was kind of strange. In some ways, it is behind Z9 and A1 quite a bit. A long time Canon shooter friend and
very experience bird shooter now does not touch his R3 at all and prefer to use R6 ii as his main camera and
told me that R6 ii is so much better. This is a guy who owns pretty much all the new Canon bodies that came out
for action/wildlife, goes out at least 3-4 times a week to shoot birds and having been doing this for 30-40 years.
However, my Nikon dealer told me that Canon should make an announcement about R1 this month and told
me to start saving as Nikon may have a couple of things I want during the first half of next year

Nov 30, 2023 at 08:09 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.