Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              16       17       end
  

Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?

  
 
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


ajamils wrote:
My only concern about the switch is due to the size and weight of Z8. It is still quite bit bigger. Also, a lot of tests put the AF lagging behind Sony, specially when it comes to Eye-AF.


Not sure if you know this, but the Z9 just got a substantial AF boost with firmware 4.1

Those features are slated to come to the Z8 in Q1 2024. I have zero issues with Eye AF on my 4.1 Z9, it would be hard to imagine it being better. I know Sony will track the back of the head on the A7R5 but I've never been one to take back of the head portraits.



Oct 30, 2023 at 12:38 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


RoamingScott wrote:
Not sure if you know this, but the Z9 just got a substantial AF boost with firmware 4.1

Those features are slated to come to the Z8 in Q1 2024. I have zero issues with Eye AF on my 4.1 Z9, it would be hard to imagine it being better. I know Sony will track the back of the head on the A7R5 but I've never been one to take back of the head portraits.




Of course if we are being honest in our advice, we acknowledge that the reason for tracking the back of a head is part of unique predictive AI implementation that is designed to enable acquiring the eye faster when the head turns, and to improve AF tracking. No camera company is actually focused on getting images of the back of heads. That was a ridiculous comment that was not well thought through.

If weight is a primary concern be aware that at the highest level of lenses the Z8 and S lenses will most often be meaningfully larger and heavier than a similar Sony kit. If that means you leave you kit home more often, or enjoy the experience of shooting less, then such a switch may not be the best course.

In my opinion you should buy whatever camera system that is competent in the types of photography you shoot. The one that brings you the most joy in shooting. Whether that joy is the result of the images you make, or the shooting experience itself. If owning a Nikon system accomplishes those things better, and your financial situation allows, then make the switch. These days, all these systems will produce amazing images, mostly indistinguishable from each other.



Oct 30, 2023 at 01:27 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


Being accused of disingenuousness by a guy with no relevant experience to the topic and yet one who continuously puts people down all while having a devilish smile on his face is really the last straw. You're a fool and will be suffered no more. To the hide list you go, never to return.


Oct 30, 2023 at 01:37 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


RoamingScott wrote:
Being accused of disingenuousness by a guy with no relevant experience to the topic and yet one who continuously puts people down all while having a devilish smile on his face is really the last straw. You're a fool and will be suffered no more. To the hide list you go, never to return.


Prayers answered!

Of course you hide when there is no way to argue the facts I posted. It is likely your embarrassment of your foolish post that has driven your need to hide.

It takes little more experience than holding the two systems to judge relative size and weight differences. What more do you feel is needed?

I feel confident that I do have the relevant experience to understand Sony's new AI/AF processor and the goals for it. Sony has been open and aggressive in publishing that information.

But just to be sure.

Do you disagree with the fact that the Z8 based system will likely be larger and heavier than the system is contemplating leaving?

Do you disagree with the concept for following the back of the head I stated?

Do you claim that your assertation about making images of the back of heads was sincere?



Oct 30, 2023 at 01:39 PM
tzhang4284
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


ajamils wrote:
Thank you everyone for the replies.

I was heavily invested in Sony but have paired down the kit quite a bit as I wasn't shooting much. So right now I have the following
- Sony 20-70 F4 (just got last week)
- Tamron 150-500
- Samyang 50/1.4 II
- Sigma 105/1.4 (plan to switch to Nikon version, if I made the switch)

RoamingScott, Sony colors is something that I always struggled with even though I've been using it for year. With that said, A1 and A7rV do have the best colors that I've seen out of Sony and usually do not require a lot
...Show more

Based on your lens line up, I don't think you'll get any real benefit from switching to Nikon besides having a stacked sensor. All the Nikon equivalents are pretty much comparable or worse than the Sony FE equivalents from a technical image quality perspective. The Sony A7RV is also literally the top of the line when it comes to AF and I don't think you'll get anything more that you can perceive from Nikon even with their eventual firmware upgrade. The Sony colors issue in my opinion is real and what led me to Leica but I don't think "Nikon colors" are all that much better than Sony colors. Go Fuji or Leica if you care about color rendition.

If you want the 400mm f4.5, 600mm f6.3 or 800mm f6.3, then the Nikon Z8 makes a lot of sense but outside of that, seems like low ROI. The Nikon ZF also looks great as a fun travel camera with killer AF and nice styling but if you're looking for pure technical image quality and resolution, that's not it compared to the Sony A7R V.




Oct 30, 2023 at 01:53 PM
patotts
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


It is sad that we cannot discuss opinions and experiences without using personal insults, back and forward.


Oct 30, 2023 at 02:06 PM
Buckeye2604
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


1bwana1 wrote:
Of course if we are being honest in our advice, we acknowledge that the reason for tracking the back of a head is part of unique predictive AI implementation that is designed to enable acquiring the eye faster when the head turns, and to improve AF tracking. No camera company is actually focused on getting images of the back of heads. That was a ridiculous comment that was not well thought through.

If weight is a primary concern be aware that at the highest level of lenses the Z8 and S lenses will most often be meaningfully larger and heavier than
...Show more
The Z9 and Z8 also track the back of the head if subject turns and jump on eye as soon as itís in view, in a way that it must be preemptively calculating where the eye should be and just as quick as what Iíve seen with Sony AI af. I think Scott mentioned that sarcastically.



Oct 30, 2023 at 02:40 PM
Max Power
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


patotts wrote:
It is sad that we cannot discuss opinions and experiences without using personal insults, back and forward.


Things go great until one person shows up.



Oct 30, 2023 at 03:10 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


patotts wrote:
It is sad that we cannot discuss opinions and experiences without using personal insults, back and forward.


It's almost like a chronic lack of moderation allows certain trolls to play their games without any pushback. It's up to the community to do it. Well, you call it out 100x and the behavior continues, what else can you do?

Everyone can see they games they play. I'm sick of the backhanded insults from people that don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Just look at the Plena image thread. It literally took me telling this individual to shut up to stop that derail, a derail from someone posting non Plena images. They crave the attention at all costs.



Oct 30, 2023 at 03:19 PM
lukemeup
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


Looks like Steve's failed adventure with the 1st generation of the Z cameras 5 years ago left a long lasting trauma resulting in just posting the same rehashed things over and over again on the Nikon forum.... while not even shooting Nikon. Carry on.


Oct 30, 2023 at 03:32 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


lukemeup wrote:
Looks like Steve's failed adventure with the 1st generation of the Z cameras 5 years ago left a long lasting trauma resulting in just posting the same rehashed things over and over again on the Nikon forum.... while not even shooting Nikon. Carry on.


Oh, but he DOES shoot Nikon, don't forget!

(it just happens to be an old DSLR and 3rd party lenses, which makes him an expert on all things Z)



Oct 30, 2023 at 03:39 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


Buckeye2604 wrote:
The Z9 and Z8 also track the back of the head if subject turns and jump on eye as soon as itís in view, in a way that it must be preemptively calculating where the eye should be and just as quick as what Iíve seen with Sony AI af. I think Scott mentioned that sarcastically.


Agreed, and I know that well. You will notice that I didn't say anything about the Z AF tracking. I believe it to be excellent. As I posted I think the OP will get the same results performance and image wise from all the current systems.

It was Scott the implied there was a difference in the two systems in regard to head tracking, not me.

Edited on Oct 30, 2023 at 04:02 PM · View previous versions



Oct 30, 2023 at 03:57 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


RoamingScott wrote:
Just look at the Plena image thread. It literally took me telling this individual to shut up to stop that derail, a derail from someone posting non Plena images. They crave the attention at all costs.


But that was ineffective as you know. Your post had no effect on me or the others you frequently childishly call names. As one other Nikon shooter pointed out you were simultaneously in arguments multiple threads in multiple forums because of name calling and personal insults.

I was discussing a subject with BernardL. When we were finished it stopped. Nothing at all to do with your childish rants.

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....



Edited on Oct 30, 2023 at 04:11 PM · View previous versions



Oct 30, 2023 at 04:01 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


RoamingScott wrote:
Oh, but he DOES shoot Nikon, don't forget!

(it just happens to be an old DSLR and 3rd party lenses, which makes him an expert on all things Z)


Darn I thought you made me invisible?

But you are correct. I currently do not own a Z system. But have in the past. If the current Z system was available back then I would probably still be shooting one.




Oct 30, 2023 at 04:03 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


lukemeup wrote:
Looks like Steve's failed adventure with the 1st generation of the Z cameras 5 years ago left a long lasting trauma resulting in just posting the same rehashed things over and over again on the Nikon forum.... while not even shooting Nikon. Carry on.


In fact I was very disappointed in the Z7 and said so. But I don't talk about that much anymore. I think if you read my posts in this thread, and in the Plena thread that Scott referenced, you will see that I never said one negative opinion about Nikon or its products. Pretty much all positive. The trauma appears to remain with Nikon users who get upset when anything they don't agree with is posted. This insecurity I did mention. But that is not a reflection on Nikon or its products.




Oct 30, 2023 at 04:24 PM
dcisive
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


I'll just say this. Since the early 2000's (since the D300) I long felt, having owned ALL brands since, that Nikon's color science and their Nikkor lenses have been the finest I've laid hands on. That's not to say that Olympus, Panasonic/Leica, Canon and Sony lenses aren't very good indeed. But the term "surgically sharp" is a term I've long reserved for Nikkor lenses. The Z lenses at large are the finest Nikon's produced to date. I currently have a 24-120 f4S, 100-400S and the 70-180, all of which have turned out to be flawless in sharpness and being devoid of LOCA or CA. These priorities are the 2 that brought me back to Nikon after a hiatus from the D200, D300, D700 and D7100. Oh an my Z9 with the 4.10 firmware does indeed stay on a persons head when tracking awaiting the turning of the face when it locks onto an eye even if it's not looking at you. I'm thrilled at it's tracking. Easily keeps up with what a A7RV I had prior did. Even better in low light with far superior IBIS.


Oct 30, 2023 at 04:53 PM
patotts
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


RoamingScott wrote:
It's almost like a chronic lack of moderation allows certain trolls to play their games without any pushback. It's up to the community to do it. Well, you call it out 100x and the behavior continues, what else can you do?

Everyone can see they games they play. I'm sick of the backhanded insults from people that don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Just look at the Plena image thread. It literally took me telling this individual to shut up to stop that derail, a derail from someone posting non Plena images. They crave the attention at all
...Show more

Admittingly I don't follow enough threads to experience the pain...




Oct 30, 2023 at 05:45 PM
Spectro
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


1bwana1 wrote:
In fact I was very disappointed in the Z7 and said so. But I don't talk about that much anymore. I think if you read my posts in this thread, and in the Plena thread that Scott referenced, you will see that I never said one negative opinion about Nikon or its products. Pretty much all positive. The trauma appears to remain with Nikon users who get upset when anything they don't agree with is posted. This insecurity I did mention. But that is not a reflection on Nikon or its products.



Steve,
I honestly think that if you owned and used Nikon cameras in addition to your other gear that most people would not be sensitized to your posts. What you donít seem to be understanding is that people donít want your opinion about Nikon cameras when you donít even own a Nikon camera.

Your last comment above about Nikon user getting upset when anything they donít agree with is mentioned flies in the face of your own apparent need to opine about any Nikon user comparison comment about Sony. This thread is no exception. I find most responders in this thread who have used both systems to have provided honest feedback on their experience about why they prefer Nikon. I also assume that like me, most regular participants in the Nikon Forum assumed it be a matter of time before you jumped in even though you donít fall into the category of the OPís usage case but here you are trying to influence another thread.

I am a 40+ year Nikon user and really donít care whatís happening with Sony although I sit side by side with users of Sonyís best cameras and lenses on a regular basis. I have no need or interest to jump into any conversations on the Sony forum. I find your need to influence Nikon threads as a Sony user to be annoying and somewhat humorous at the same time because to me it seems to be some sort of personal need that you canít avoid. Perhaps my thoughts above will help you understand what other Nikon users are thinking when they respond to your posts.

Keep smilingÖ Gerry



Oct 30, 2023 at 06:09 PM
molson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


Spectro wrote:
Steve,
I honestly think that if you owned and used Nikon cameras in addition to your other gear that most people would not be sensitized to your posts. What you donít seem to be understanding is that people donít want your opinion about Nikon cameras when you donít even own a Nikon camera.

Your last comment above about Nikon user getting upset when anything they donít agree with is mentioned flies in the face of your own apparent need to opine about any Nikon user comparison comment about Sony. This thread is no exception. I find most responders in this thread
...Show more

I think responses like this more or less prove Steve's point (speaking as someone who actually has used most of the gear being discussed...)



Oct 30, 2023 at 06:16 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Anybody switched from Sony to Nikon?


Spectro wrote:
Steve,
I honestly think that if you owned and used Nikon cameras in addition to your other gear that most people would not be sensitized to your posts. What you donít seem to be understanding is that people donít want your opinion about Nikon cameras when you donít even own a Nikon camera.

Your last comment above about Nikon user getting upset when anything they donít agree with is mentioned flies in the face of your own apparent need to opine about any Nikon user comparison comment about Sony. This thread is no exception. I find most responders in this thread
...Show more

Gerry,

I appreciate you taking the time to post advice so politely and eloquently. I always appreciate such effort and good will. My comment was not directed at Nikon users in general, but only to a very small group that attack as a gang in an attempt to enforce their own agenda. Often not following their proposed behavioral standards themselves.

But, I will say that this idea that you must somehow be qualified to post an opinion anywhere in the FM Forums is something I disagree with. That attitude seems to only be held in the Nikon forums. In my opinion being polite and constructive is the most important qualification. Except when replying to an impolite attack to a polite report I try to uphold that concept.

As an example, here is a post made just today by maybe the most vocal and crude objectors to any post mentioning Sony in the Nikon Forum. It was made in the Sony forum, and advocated for Nikon much more strongly than any of my posts in this thread does for Sony. You will notice that in the Sony Forum this gang attack mentality of such a post doesn't exist. He is treated well and politely. I find this hypocrisy by him blatant, obvious, and provable. Still I don't attack him in that thread. I prefer to keep threads friendly and positive.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1830391/1#16378870

Our friend Scott criticizes Sony an praises Nikon throughout his post on this thread. I don't think he still owns or shoots Sony equipment. Yet he is still treated well by the Sony FM community. Judge the different behaviors and the hypocrisy for yourselves people. The difference is not what is posted. The difference is how a few member of the NIklon community here on FM respond to such things.

Me, I encourage all to post whatever they want, wherever they want her in the FM Community, and hope they keep it polite and respectful.

Steve




Oct 30, 2023 at 07:01 PM
1      
2
       3              16       17       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              16       17       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.