Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

My first black water diving, blanket octopus, paper nautilus and a few m...

johnohio
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · My first black water diving, blanket octopus, paper nautilus and a few misc other stuffs (lots of photos).

Wow I don't see that everyday . Great set of images. TFS

John

Nov 03, 2023 at 03:18 AM
shredder1656
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · My first black water diving, blanket octopus, paper nautilus and a few misc other stuffs (lots of photos).

Sounds like an awesome experience. Congrats! Nice work!

My son and DIL were stationed in HI for a few years, but recently changed ds. While they were there, we, of course, visited a few times. My son is a fish, lots of special ops water con, etc, plus natural. I suck at swimming, pretty much literally. I definitely tried to scuba with him. It did not go well. Any waves, and I basically tried to drink the ocean level down to where I could walk across the bottom. My wife was better at it than me, for sure. Anyway, point is, it is always impressive, to me, to see these kinds of photos. I love the ocean, but my skill set doesn't support that.

VERY nice!

Nov 05, 2023 at 04:57 AM
Jim Dockery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · My first black water diving, blanket octopus, paper nautilus and a few misc other stuffs (lots of photos).

Wow, super cool, thanks for sharing. Incredible the variety of interesting sea life!

Nov 05, 2023 at 09:48 AM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · My first black water diving, blanket octopus, paper nautilus and a few misc other stuffs (lots of photos).

simply marvelous. thanks for sharing

Nov 05, 2023 at 09:55 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · My first black water diving, blanket octopus, paper nautilus and a few misc other stuffs (lots of photos).

johnohio wrote:
Wow I don't see that everyday . Great set of images. TFS

John

Thanks John.

---------------------------------------------

shredder1656 wrote:
Sounds like an awesome experience. Congrats! Nice work!

My son and DIL were stationed in HI for a few years, but recently changed ds. While they were there, we, of course, visited a few times. My son is a fish, lots of special ops water con, etc, plus natural. I suck at swimming, pretty much literally. I definitely tried to scuba with him. It did not go well. Any waves, and I basically tried to drink the ocean level down to where I could walk across the bottom. My wife was better at it than me, for sure. Anyway, point is,
...Show more

I used to get seasick regularly and threw up so often on divetrip as many of those trips were on liveaboard. At least one benefit of getting older is seasickness became much much less of a problem

Jim Dockery wrote:
Wow, super cool, thanks for sharing. Incredible the variety of interesting sea life!

Thanks Jim.

kdacharya wrote:
simply marvelous. thanks for sharing

Thanks

Nov 06, 2023 at 07:09 AM
dclark
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · My first black water diving, blanket octopus, paper nautilus and a few misc other stuffs (lots of photos).

Beautiful collection of images of critter we never see. Superb!
I thought I had commented when I first reviewed these shots a few days ago. Sorry to be late.
Congratulations on the FTOW.

Dave

Nov 10, 2023 at 11:04 PM
CDalessandro
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · My first black water diving, blanket octopus, paper nautilus and a few misc other stuffs (lots of photos).

Stunning images! WOW!
Carol

Nov 11, 2023 at 06:12 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · My first black water diving, blanket octopus, paper nautilus and a few misc other stuffs (lots of photos).

Fantastic photography! So well done!
Congrats!
Dan

Nov 11, 2023 at 10:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

surgemaster
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · My first black water diving, blanket octopus, paper nautilus and a few misc other stuffs (lots of photos).

Outstanding. Something I'll never do or see in real life. Thanks for posting.
Rex

Nov 11, 2023 at 02:04 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · My first black water diving, blanket octopus, paper nautilus and a few misc other stuffs (lots of photos).

dclark wrote:
Beautiful collection of images of critter we never see. Superb!
I thought I had commented when I first reviewed these shots a few days ago. Sorry to be late.
Congratulations on the FTOW.

Dave

Thanks, Dave

CDalessandro wrote:
Stunning images! WOW!
Carol

Thanks, Carol.

Danpbphoto wrote:
Fantastic photography! So well done!
Congrats!
Dan

Thanks, Dan

surgemaster wrote:
Outstanding. Something I'll never do or see in real life. Thanks for posting.
Rex

Thanks Rex.

And thanks everyone for the vote

Nov 12, 2023 at 08:13 PM
Carmel Nikon

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · My first black water diving, blanket octopus, paper nautilus and a few misc other stuffs (lots of photos).

Awesome photos. Was it difficult or take long to encounter the photo subjects? Very impressive work.

Nov 12, 2023 at 08:35 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · My first black water diving, blanket octopus, paper nautilus and a few misc other stuffs (lots of photos).

Carmel Nikon wrote:
Awesome photos. Was it difficult or take long to encounter the photo subjects? Very impressive work.

Thank you. The first black water dive, we saw only tiny critters, very tiny octopus etc.
Then we moved to the other side of the bay (at Ambon Bay in Indonesia) and blanket octopus showed up very quickly both dives that we did there. At one stage, I actually saw 5 blanket octopuses near each other so lots of octopuses to share .

Paper nautilus showed up right after I saw my first blanket octopus. Not many people did black water diving in this area in the past as far as I know. Blanket octopus is supposed to be quite rare and is one the main hi light for people who dive in Anilao,
the Philipines from what I know. So it was definitely a treat and a big surprise for me.

The dive was so much fun and adrenaline was rushing. We drifted with the main spot lights well over a kilometer during 45 minutes dive and I did not even realized that there was quite a bit of current. That's how much fun it was
Of course we were hanging in mid water and it was pitched dark except for the spot light so there was really no reference point
to know how fast we were moving.

There were all kind of tiny critters, planktons etc near light source at all time so it is only a matter of picking out the right critters to photograph. Most are so tiny that it was a little difficult to see so there is always something to see or photograph the whole dive and most are quite fast moving so you just need to pick the right subject.

Nov 13, 2023 at 01:11 AM
Nftypjs

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · My first black water diving, blanket octopus, paper nautilus and a few misc other stuffs (lots of photos).

Fantastic shots! Just did some more research into blackwater at DEMA last week. Next on my to do list out here in Hawaii.

Nov 27, 2023 at 08:59 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · My first black water diving, blanket octopus, paper nautilus and a few misc other stuffs (lots of photos).

Nftypjs wrote:
Fantastic shots! Just did some more research into blackwater at DEMA last week. Next on my to do list out here in Hawaii.

Be careful. Hawaii is where blackwater diving originated as far as I know but I heard it is very hardcore, out in the middle of nowhere with very strong current that you need to tether yourself to the main light source. A couple of friends dove there
and they throught it was all a bit too much for them. The setup in Asia in general is much easier diving and less stressful, I was told.

Edited on Nov 28, 2023 at 07:28 PM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2023 at 05:53 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · My first black water diving, blanket octopus, paper nautilus and a few misc other stuffs (lots of photos).

WOW!

Nov 28, 2023 at 06:46 PM
voltaire
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · My first black water diving, blanket octopus, paper nautilus and a few misc other stuffs (lots of photos).

Two thumbs up! Amazing images. Thanks for sharing.

Nov 30, 2023 at 01:47 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.