1       2       3       4      
       end

Film stocks

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Film stocks

OregonSun wrote:
I shot a roll of 35mm Rollei RPX 400 last week, and it reminded me why I've only shot XP2 Super for so long for b&w. I couldn't believe how much grain there was with the traditional b&w film.

I know, grain is a big part of the film 'look', but I've really come to love the smooth whites and nearly grainless character of XP2, not to mention it's wide exposure latitude.

In 120, I think it looks similar to Pan F+ or Acros II, perhaps not as wide a range of tones as those, especially in the darks. Of course, it's
...Show more

Beautiful tones!

Jan 10, 2024 at 04:10 PM
bjhurley
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Film stocks

OregonSun wrote:
I know, grain is a big part of the film 'look', but I've really come to love the smooth whites and nearly grainless character of XP2, not to mention it's wide exposure latitude.

In 120, I think it looks similar to Pan F+ or Acros II, perhaps not as wide a range of tones as those, especially in the darks. Of course, it's a lot faster, so I often use it in 120 so I can shoot handheld.

I also mostly shoot XP2 and love it for the same reasons: the grain is mostly in the midtones and not in the highlights, unlike traditional B&W film. If it's underexposed the grain becomes much more evident; a lot of people shoot it at EI 200 or even 50 to minimize grain.

Here are some grainier examples. I usually shoot at 400 but sometimes EI 800 and even 1600 when the conditions are right.

I'm pretty sure this was at 400, but it was very early in the morning on a cloudy day.

Bus, Rimouski by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

This was EI 800:

Chocolat Suchard by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

Jan 10, 2024 at 05:37 PM
fl3tching101

p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Film stocks

Currently on a big Kodak 250D (hand rolled, with remjet) kick. Insane dynamic range and beautiful cinematic colors. As for black and white I am a big fan of Kentmere Pan 400, excellent price to performance, but I recently got an old, expired, but well kept bulk roll of Ultrafine Xtreme 400 which is fantastic. Wish they still sold it!

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:55 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Film stocks

fl3tching101 wrote:
Currently on a big Kodak 250D (hand rolled, with remjet) kick. Insane dynamic range and beautiful cinematic colors. As for black and white I am a big fan of Kentmere Pan 400, excellent price to performance, but I recently got an old, expired, but well kept bulk roll of Ultrafine Xtreme 400 which is fantastic. Wish they still sold it!

Pliz be posting pics taken w the 250D

Jan 12, 2024 at 01:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Film stocks

Just picked up a roll from my local shop - Pauls Photo in Torrance. I was waiting for them to stock it as I didn’t feel like paying shipping for just one roll.

Will shoot it tomorrow.

Jan 13, 2024 at 09:28 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Film stocks

My one and only roll of Adox Colour Mission, gifted to me from a friend in Germany.
I like it a lot.

Samsung ‘I don’t need no steenkin Contax’ AF Slim

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:16 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Film stocks

Samsung AF Slim, Adox Colour Mission

Jan 17, 2024 at 12:23 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.