New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Film stocks

OregonSun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Film stocks

I thought it would be fun to have a thread all about film stocks.

questions
favorites
reviews
comparisons
examples
developing
gripes
etc.

I'll start with my favorite B&W film of all time, Ilford Pan F Plus.

I stumbled on this one almost 10 years ago when I was getting back into film and shooting mostly landscapes with my trusty Pentax 67. 50 ISO wasn't a problem since I was always shooting from a tripod. I've never tried it in 35mm, but I'm sure it would be great as long as you have enough light or a tripod.

I love how rich the tones are and the contrast and extra fine grain. Nice with a red filter.

It produces very forgiving scans as far as post processing goes, even when underexposed

I've always used a local lab, and I've never had cause to complain about the developing, I think they use D76.

I don't shoot it as much as I used to because I shoot fewer landscapes these days, but I still keep a few rolls in the fridge.

Edited on Nov 14, 2023 at 10:13 AM · View previous versions

Oct 24, 2023 at 07:50 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Film stocks

Decided recently to buy a 4x5 camera and it inspired me to look at film for the first time in years. Sad to see so many no longer available at all (Astia) or not available in sheet formats (Velvia).

Nonetheless, I pulled out my dad's FE2 and bought a bunch of different 35mm films. Not all of these are even available in 4x5, and I only have one functional film SLR so I'm not even going to even try to pull off a side-by-side comparison, so this just for fun, but hopefully I'll have at least one or two share-worthy frames from each of:

Fuji Velvia 50
Fuji Provia 100F
Fuji Acros II 100
Rollei RPX 25
Kodak Ektachrome 100
Kodak Ektar 100
Kodak Portra 160
Kodak TMax 100
Foma Fompan Classic 100
Ilford Delta 100
Ilford Pan F 50
Ilford FP4+ 125

Oct 24, 2023 at 08:03 PM
madNbad
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Film stocks

With Panatomic X off the market for a generation, Pan F is the best for fine grain across multiple formats. Against the T grain films, Pan F still brings a depth and tones not found in other films. Itís good in 135 but really starts to show itself in the larger formats.
Thanks, this will be a fun thread to follow.

Oct 24, 2023 at 10:18 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Film stocks

OregonSun wrote:
Since there's no film board...

questions
favorites
reviews
comparisons
examples
developing
gripes
etc.

I stumbled on this one almost 10 years ago when I was getting back into film and shooting mostly landscapes with my trusty Pentax 67. 50 ISO wasn't a problem since I was always shooting from a tripod. I've never tried it in 35mm, but I'm sure it would be great as long as you have enough light or a tripod.

I love how rich the tones are and the contrast
...Show more

Well those are stunning.

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:36 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Film stocks

I like pretty much any film stock - which I will mention later - but one.

Wolfen NC400 is just garbage. Super grainy, unsharp, muddy washed out colours. Just horrible.
Oh and the upside? - it is also expensive...

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:39 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Film stocks

Of the B&W films I've shot so far (Tri-X, Acros II, Delta 400, HP4+, TMax P3200, Fomapan 400, XP2 400), all on 35mm, I think my favorite is Fomapan 400 for its grain, softness, and "mysterious" qualities. I've been shooting it mainly at EI 200 and it still feels underexposed to me, which is my only complaint; if I were home developing I could probably address that.

But I mainly shoot XP2 for the convenience of having a B&W film that can be processed by my lab in C-41 and they can use digital ICE to remove dust, hairs, etc. in scanning. I know some people look down on XP2 because it's not a "true" B&W film but I like its look, especially because lighter areas have little to no grain, and I like its grain in the midtones. I also like that I can shoot it from EI 200 all the way up to EI 800 (or even 1600) on the same roll and have the lab process it normally, no pushing or pulling required.

I tend to like grainy B&W film (although I'll definitely give Pan-F a try; I think it might be a good winter film here on our snowy, bright days), but don't like grain in color films; from the 1970s until 2000 I exclusively shot color slide film (Kodachrome 64 and Agfachrome 100). Of the color print films I've tried this year I like Ektar (but not in direct sunlight) and have finally come to like Portra 400 shot at EI 320 (I've tried overexposing it more than that but 320 seems to be the sweet spot for my tastes). I've tried a bunch of cheaper color print films but haven't found any I really like; as a general rule I prefer to use my digital cameras for color and film for B&W. I do have a roll of ProImage 100 in one of my cameras right now and will see how I like that.

Flickr is a good place to check out photos shot on different films to see what you're drawn to; I've long used it when looking for lenses I might like, but it's great for film as well. For example, here's the Fomapan 400 group: https://www.flickr.com/groups/fomapan400/ and here's the Pan-F group: https://www.flickr.com/groups/72078851@N00/

Oct 25, 2023 at 03:19 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Film stocks

OregonSun wrote:
Since there's no film board...

questions
favorites
reviews
comparisons
examples
developing
gripes
etc.

I love how rich the tones are and the contrast
...Show more

Pan F+ 50 is my favorite B&W film. Love its tonality and low grain. I develop the film (as all my other B&W films) in a two-stage process first with Rodinal followed by Xtol. I bought a 100' roll of PanF+ 35 mm film and roll the film myself into Kalt cartridges. It is more cost-effective than buying single film rolls for about $11 each.

Con of this film is that the film layer is thinner compared to Ilford ISO 100 and 400 B&W films. Ilford does not make PanF+ in 4x5" size for large format either due to its thin thickness.

Oct 25, 2023 at 08:12 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Film stocks

Favorite films I am using:

Ilford PanF+ 50
Ilford Delta 100 and FP+ 125 (can't see much of a difference between them)
Ilford Delta 400 and HP5+ 400 (my preference is a the Delta 400)
Ilford XP2 Super 400 (use it when I need to change the ISO on the same roll of film)

Fuji Velvia 50 (definitely my favorite color slide film)
Fuji Provia 100
Kodak Ektar 100 (great color negative film even I dislike its blue shadows)
Kodak Gold 200

I have stopped for now using color films and focus on using B&W films.

Oct 25, 2023 at 08:20 AM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Film stocks

bjhurley wrote:
Of the B&W films I've shot so far (Tri-X, Acros II, Delta 400, HP4+, TMax P3200, Fomapan 400, XP2 400), all on 35mm, I think my favorite is Fomapan 400 for its grain, softness, and "mysterious" qualities. I've been shooting it mainly at EI 200 and it still feels underexposed to me, which is my only complaint; if I were home developing I could probably address that.

But I mainly shoot XP2 for the convenience of having a B&W film that can be processed by my lab in C-41 and they can use digital ICE to remove dust, hairs, etc. in
...Show more

I'm also mostly shooting XP2 these days for B&W for all the same reasons. Curious to hear how you like ProImage 100, that's my favorite 100 ISO color neg film.

Oct 25, 2023 at 07:34 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Film stocks

Some films are great all arounders, and some are more suited to specific situations.

Acros II is one of those for me. It looks a lot like Delta or TMax, which is fine, but doesn't make it particularly interesting.

Where it really shines though, is for very long exposures (many minutes long). It has excellent reciprocity characteristics that make it so much easier to use in low light or with ND filters.

I shoot it almost exclusively in my GSW690II with ND filters. A rangefinder is indispensable for ND filters, since you can still compose and focus with them on. The mechanical shutter means I don't drain batteries like I would using my Pentax 67. 'T' instead of 'B' speed means I don't even need a cable release.

These were all in the 15-30 minute range.

Oct 25, 2023 at 07:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

madNbad
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Film stocks

First off, I'm only using 135. Mostly in a pair of Leica M's but have recently added a Kodak Retina 1 (Type 013) About a year ago, I switched to using Tri-X exclusively. Mostly I wanted a different look than the T grain films and partly because I wanted to experiment with different developers. First was Rodinal. Early results were less than ideal with thick, over developed negatives. I asked for advice on another forum and was pointed in the right direction for dilution and agitation. The results were good but to get the best results from Rodinal means giving up a full stop. My feeling is, if I'm going to lose a stop, it should be because of a filter. Lately, it's been with a D76 clone made by the Film Photography Project, FPP-76. First out, I tried it diluted 1+3. The results were ok but it was easy to see it was stretching the developer to the point of exhaustion. Next roll was 1+1. I liked the results but the camera has a shutter speed dial that tends to drift making my results inconclusive. For the next few months, I'll use up the FPP-76 then decide if the next devloper will be Kodak D76 or Ilford ID-11.

Tri-X, Rodinal 1:25

Rodinal 1:50

FPP-76 1+3

FPP-76 1+1

Oct 26, 2023 at 01:42 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Film stocks

Desmolicious wrote:
I like pretty much any film stock - which I will mention later - but one.

Wolfen NC400 is just garbage. Super grainy, unsharp, muddy washed out colours. Just horrible.
Oh and the upside? - it is also expensive...

Sounds like the Afga color negative film the newspaper I freelanced for in the 90s switched to for a couple years because it was dirt cheap. Previously they had flipped between Kodak and Fuji with the photographers' preferences being strongly in favor of Fujicolor 400 and 800. I don't recall the product name of the Agfa film, but it was grainy and muddy and didn't scan well with the paper's 6MP Kodak scanners (don't recall what model those were). Fujicolor was a dream to use. But it was too good, which resulted in a lot of inventory 'leakage' for personal use that management wasn't happy about. Kodak marketed a multi-purpose film that could be shot at any ISO without push/pull processing (this was all C-41 in the 90s - no more B&W film stock). A little bit of internet research revealed: PJM Ektapress Multi - DX coded ISO of 640 and usable from 100-1000.

From what I recall, everyone in the photo department liked Fujicolor better.

Sorry to ramble..

Oct 26, 2023 at 05:40 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Film stocks

rscheffler wrote:
Sounds like the Afga color negative film the newspaper I freelanced for in the 90s switched to for a couple years because it was dirt cheap. Previously they had flipped between Kodak and Fuji with the photographers' preferences being strongly in favor of Fujicolor 400 and 800. I don't recall the product name of the Agfa film, but it was grainy and muddy and didn't scan well with the paper's 6MP Kodak scanners (don't recall what model those were). Fujicolor was a dream to use. But it was too good, which resulted in a lot of inventory 'leakage' for personal
...Show more

Look, if anyone is going to ramble it would be, one sec did I mention I was on a road trip?
I missed my exit on the I5 which really upset me as I was waiting for it for about 20 miles, and then I thought I would pull a yooee through the center divider like the cops always do but then I noticed that my next exit that the nav rerouted me to was coming up - Tesselman or something like that. So I took that as it looked like it would head me in the right direction to dump me off onto the 101 which is what I wanted but the cool thing is in the middle of nowwhere I came across this burnt out brick structure. Which made me wonder what it originally was, but then I shrugged that off and shot a roll of Portra 160 in my Rolleiflex as well as some Fuji Pro400H in my M6. For this trip I just packed the 35 FLE. Why not other lenses you may ask? Well I wanted to travel w minimal gear and just use what I brought along.
Seems fine so far .

Oct 26, 2023 at 09:52 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Film stocks

For color used Fuji or pretty much anything but Kodak.I think the drugstore brand etc either scotch, Agfa, or maybe Konica rebranded, article in popphoto or something? Actually didn't mind Scotch, Konica probably the best not readily available though, probably hasn't been made in years.

Used mostly Fujichrome 100 slide film, Velvia "better" but more expensive and 40 speed. Tried Reala, couldn't really tell the difference, even grocery store 4x24 Fujicolor 100 or 200 seemed fine, or you could get the Korean etc packagong from B&H, Adorama, etc

Pan F great printed in the darkroom on high quality fiber based paper like Ilford Galerie (not the cheap but good ink jet paper in Sam's etc.) or Zone VI Brilliant. I used Nikon EM, had a couple exposure adjustment tricks gave exposures couple minutes+

Oct 27, 2023 at 02:46 PM
ottokbre
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Film stocks

Films I have shot a bunch that loved but are gone now:

Fuji Reala 100
Agfa Vista 400
Agfa APX 100 ( I still have loads of this)
Fuji Neopan Acros 100

Edited on Oct 28, 2023 at 10:23 AM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2023 at 05:15 PM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Film stocks

Favourite colour films:
Portra 160 for everything
Cinestill 400D if I want that look

BW
Bergger Pancro 400
Ilford XP2, now that Kodak BW400CN is no more

Kodak E200 for E6 but that is long gone. I really do not like anything else on E6 nowadays.

Oct 28, 2023 at 05:19 AM
Jepser
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Film stocks

Tri-x & Fp4+ are my go-to films.

Oct 28, 2023 at 06:39 AM
theHUN
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Film stocks

In b/w, the only film stock that I found disappointing was from Foma because of their poor quality control (an ISO400 roll was labeled ISO100). But even in that instance, the result worked well on the subject.

I've been trying to down select to just a few b/w film stocks (I am gravitating toward Delta 100, 400, 3200) and one developing recipe, but it's hard to do so when there is so much variety. Just this week I picked up some FP3/4 and Panatomic.

In color, I dislike halation and therefore anything from Cinestill.

Oct 28, 2023 at 09:20 AM
madNbad
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Film stocks

Started looking for some Kodak D76 to use with my remaining rolls of Tr-X but everywhere I looked it was out of stock with no expected return date. I still have about twenty five rolls of Tr-X left but I kicked the idea around for a bit, went to Midwest Photo and ordered twenty rolls of HP5+, which is almost three dollars a roll cheaper. I guess the next move will be to ID-11 when the Film Photography Project FPP-76 is gone.

Oct 28, 2023 at 05:13 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Film stocks

Lee Saxon wrote:
and I only have one functional film SLR

Nevermind! I bought an F4s because I have no self-control.

Oct 31, 2023 at 03:44 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.