Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              29              31              33       34       end

Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

hanay78
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #1 · p.30 #1 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Anybody has make direct comparisons with Z7 or Zf and any Sony A7XX serie with small wide angle lenses?

Fred Miranda wrote:
I haven't personally tried this, but I'm really curious to find out the details. Has anyone compared how a wide-angle M lens performs on a Sony camera compared to a Nikon camera and checked for any differences in IQ?
I suppose I could give a ZF lens a shot and then compare its performance with my Sony A9 using a couple of M lenses.

I'm aware that this is a common sentiment, but I've personally verified that the SL series delivers excellent performance with M lenses, second only to the M body or modded cameras, which are the top choices.

Mar 31, 2024 at 09:30 AM
chasdfg
• • •
p.30 #2 · p.30 #2 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

I just purchased and received the TTartisan 6bit adapter and of the 3 Leica M to Z adapters i have (K&F and forodiox close focus helicoid being the others) the TTArtisan 6bit reaches infinity closest to the hard stop. I also appreciate the exif data for 6bit lenses and the weight of the adapter, though the adapter didn't work right away and i had to update the firmware.

The adapter is snug on the camera and the lenses i mounted snug on the adapter though i wish the lens release tab wasn't what appears to be plastic. There is no play when the lens and camera are locked in. I guess another advantage of having electronic contacts is you can check your exif to see if the lens/adapter are properly mounted after taking a pic (if either isn't, exif for 6bit lenses isn't transmitted). Not a major selling point but somewhag useful (on digital M cameras i would occasionally double check mounting in camera via shooting details with 6bit lenses, so an old habit).

Now on to my questions - for those with experience with these adapters, do you find that trap focus works better for some lenses on AFC over AFS? For my 35lux FLE, it is pretty snappy on AFS and AFC, but for my Noct f1 and 75lux, it seems to acquire focus more reliably on AFC. For someone coming from shooting purely MF for many years, AF modes are quite confusing - are there any particular modes that work better with trap focus? Prior to buying this adapter, i would shoot single point for MF and AF in AFS, being the simplest and most predictable AF mode I know of. When using the TTartisan adapter and trap focus, it SEEMS wide area locks focus pretty quick. Single point doesn't seem to be as responsive. Would love to hear how others have set the camera up when using this adapter.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 01, 2024 at 08:30 PM
Sonnar-7
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #3 · p.30 #3 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

MS-Optics Sonnetar 50mm 1.3 & Nikon Zf with TTArtisan 6bit Adapter

Apr 02, 2024 at 03:14 AM
Sonnar-7
• •
p.30 #4 · p.30 #4 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

MS-Optics Sonnetar 50mm 1.3 & Nikon Zf

Apr 03, 2024 at 04:27 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.30 #5 · p.30 #5 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

ilkka_nissila wrote:
On Nikon, this is called aperture-priority where you select aperture and the camera will select shutter speed. Or it can be program if the intent is for the camera to select both aperture and shutter speed. These are selected from the level on the top left of the camera. However, if you want to select a minimum shutter speed, then you basically have to select Auto ISO (I have put this toggle in the My Menu activated by the Fn button on the front of the camera) and within the Auto ISO settings you can select minimum shutter speed. These
...Show more

Thanks for the reply and your patience - I've been swamped.

I'm familiar with aperture priority from other bodies I've used. I'm wondering if the Nikon Zf allows you to select aperture (on the lens) and either shutter speed or minimum shutter speed without having to go menu diving. If I understand you correctly, the answer is no. To get the effect I'd want, sounds like I would need to go into the menu and change auto ISO settings in those situations, which isn't ideal. Unfortunate that the Zf doesn't have an "AUTO" setting on the ISO dial, though being able to set it with a button-front dial combo could be promising.

Like I did on Sony and Fuji, I would be using pretty much all dumb, manual focus lenses on adapters. The camera body wouldn't know what the focal length of the lens. I assume that the Zf has some way to have a focal length set for dumb, manual lenses like Sony does, for IBIS and shutter speed?

Apr 03, 2024 at 06:01 PM
sander9t

p.30 #6 · p.30 #6 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

A few flower shots on Zf with three different vintage lenses. To my surprise, I really love Nikon's colors, no matter in RAW or JPEG.

Taking advantage of the fleeting cherry blossom season by Sander Li, on Flickr

The last stage of this cherry blossom season by Sander Li, on Flickr

Flowering apricot by Sander Li, on Flickr

Bee on Ghostly Princess by Sander Li, on Flickr

Apr 04, 2024 at 11:27 PM
C.Rankin
• •
p.30 #7 · p.30 #7 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

CV 50mm f1

Cowgirl 1 Final (1 of 1) by Christopher Rankin, on Flickr

Shot at f2

Apr 05, 2024 at 09:42 PM
Sonnar-7
• •
p.30 #8 · p.30 #8 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

MS-Optics Sonnetar 50mm 1.3 & Nikon Zf

Apr 07, 2024 at 01:39 PM
C.Rankin
• •
p.30 #9 · p.30 #9 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

CV 50mm f1 shot wide open

Janelle at the Beach 1 Final (1 of 1) by Christopher Rankin, on Flickr

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:35 AM
28mm

p.30 #10 · p.30 #10 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

For someone like me who does not like peaking, or full screen punch in to check focus -

Would you say the zF and its focus aides (green focus confirmation ; eye detect) is the best full frame option for adapting manual glass vs a camera with PIP zoom (Lumix S1/R; Sigma fp) or a camera with a really nice EVF (SL3; a7rV)?

Apr 17, 2024 at 02:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ndwgolf1
• •
p.30 #11 · p.30 #11 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

I'm picking up a new ZF next week and wondered if the eye detection function will work with a manual 1970s pre AI lens.....my gut feeling is no but thought I would ask anyway?

Apr 17, 2024 at 02:47 AM
Jepser
• •
p.30 #12 · p.30 #12 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

ndwgolf1 wrote:
I'm picking up a new ZF next week and wondered if the eye detection function will work with a manual 1970s pre AI lens.....my gut feeling is no but thought I would ask anyway?

It works

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:23 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.30 #13 · p.30 #13 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

28mm wrote:
For someone like me who does not like peaking, or full screen punch in to check focus -

Would you say the zF and its focus aides (green focus confirmation ; eye detect) is the best full frame option for adapting manual glass vs a camera with PIP zoom (Lumix S1/R; Sigma fp) or a camera with a really nice EVF (SL3; a7rV)?

---------------------------------------------

ndwgolf1 wrote:

Refresher:

Do I get eye-tracking where the focus box follows the eye?
Yes: All manual focus lenses

Do I get focus confirmation (with and without eye-tracking) where the focus box lights up green when focus is achieved?
Yes: Manual lenses with electronic contacts (Voigtlander ZF lenses, etc.)
No: Manual lenses without electronic contacts (most all vintage lenses)

Note: There are some adapters with electronic contacts that allow you to manually set the aperture on vintage lenses, which then can allow green focus box confirmation.

You will learn more by taking the time to read this entire thread.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:46 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.30 #14 · p.30 #14 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

highdesertmesa wrote.

You will learn more by taking the time to read this entire thread.

but dood it is 30 pages. who has time for that?

Apr 17, 2024 at 05:39 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.30 #15 · p.30 #15 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

C.Rankin wrote:
CV 50mm f1

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53634500541_ca34f232bb_k.jpgCowgirl 1 Final (1 of 1) by Christopher Rankin, on Flickr

Shot at f2

Ok I'm the weirdo who looks at that pic, ignores the model but examines the bokeh balls... some look very jagged/ninja star-like?

Apr 17, 2024 at 05:53 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.30 #16 · p.30 #16 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Desmolicious wrote:
but dood it is 30 pages. who has time for that?

I don't see how anyone can resist reading threads like this start to finish (or in reverse order, which is often more helpful as the final answers can be found first). I live for this @#%&

Apr 17, 2024 at 06:20 PM
28mm

p.30 #17 · p.30 #17 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Yes, I did read through the entire thread actually.

My question is less about compatibility with many kinds of lenses (all lenses I plan to use will have green box and eye tracking on zF) - my question is more along the lines of whether people feel that having the zF's focus aids are enough to make it "significantly better" for adapting vs e.g. something like an S1 and its picture-in-picture view or vs a camera with significantly 'better' EVF like an A7RV (but poor focus aids), or a GFX using the "dual display" focus assist (I don't mind using a GFX50r as a 35mm format camera only, for example).

I don't shoot static scenes.

My current frame of reference is an a9, and manual focus is not a fun experience for me (outside of zone focusing for street shooting). I dislike using peaking, and I dislike that the punch-in focus confirmation fills the entire finder.

Apr 17, 2024 at 06:21 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.30 #18 · p.30 #18 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

28mm wrote:

My question is less about compatibility with many kinds of lenses (all lenses I plan to use will have green box and eye tracking on zF) - my question is more along the lines of whether people feel that having the zF's focus aids are enough to make it "significantly better" for adapting vs e.g. something like an S1 and its picture-in-picture view or vs a camera with significantly 'better' EVF like an A7RV (but poor focus aids), or a GFX using the "dual display" focus assist (I don't mind using a
...Show more

The eye-tracking for manual focus lenses with focus confirmation is every bit as good as it is with AF, but your reaction time and DOF will be limiting factors. It will still be challenging to reliably hit focus on the eyes. Perhaps setting up the camera so that you can use focus trapping would be the best route.

Just from the sound of your post, though, it sounds like you'd be better off sticking with AF lenses on the a9.

Apr 17, 2024 at 06:56 PM
phinix
• • •
p.30 #19 · p.30 #19 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Anybody using Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 on Nikon?

Apr 18, 2024 at 03:17 PM
mranger211
• •
p.30 #20 · p.30 #20 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

28mm wrote:

My question is less about compatibility with many kinds of lenses (all lenses I plan to use will have green box and eye tracking on zF) - my question is more along the lines of whether people feel that having the zF's focus aids are enough to make it "significantly better" for adapting vs e.g. something like an S1 and its picture-in-picture view or vs a camera with significantly 'better' EVF like an A7RV (but poor focus aids), or a GFX using the "dual display" focus assist (I don't mind using a
...Show more

I have and am using manual focus lenses on the GFX. The dual focus display is a nice idea, and it works more or less. But for critical focusing I prefer a magnified view covering the whole EVF. In that respect my Sony A7rii is better than the Fuji.

Apr 18, 2024 at 06:42 PM
1       2       3              29              31              33       34       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.