Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              28              30              33       34       end
  

Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

  
 
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #1 · p.29 #1 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


Question to the knowledgeable... I have a Z7 and a regular M-Z adapter (very nice Kipon unit) for whenever I get the itch to use my M mount lenses. Which is rarely.
With the gen 1 Z7 is there any benefit to getting the TTA 6bit adapter ring?



Mar 20, 2024 at 02:55 PM
Kasper6188
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.29 #2 · p.29 #2 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


Desmolicious wrote:
Question to the knowledgeable... I have a Z7 and a regular M-Z adapter (very nice Kipon unit) for whenever I get the itch to use my M mount lenses. Which is rarely.
With the gen 1 Z7 is there any benefit to getting the TTA 6bit adapter ring?


With the TTA 6 bit you can trap focus. Set the camera to only fire when focus is acquired then hold the shutter release and then MF the lens, when you get a lock it will fire. Can be useful in certain scenarios. This adapter lets you keep the body in AFS or AFC mode which is how it lets you accomplish this.



Mar 20, 2024 at 03:02 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #3 · p.29 #3 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


Kasper6188 wrote:
With the TTA 6 bit you can trap focus. Set the camera to only fire when focus is acquired then hold the shutter release and then MF the lens, when you get a lock it will fire. Can be useful in certain scenarios. This adapter lets you keep the body in AFS or AFC mode which is how it lets you accomplish this.


Thanks!



Mar 20, 2024 at 04:01 PM
fjablo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #4 · p.29 #4 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


Desmolicious wrote:
Question to the knowledgeable... I have a Z7 and a regular M-Z adapter (very nice Kipon unit) for whenever I get the itch to use my M mount lenses. Which is rarely.
With the gen 1 Z7 is there any benefit to getting the TTA 6bit adapter ring?


You also get the green box focus confirmation and exif data. The only thing missing is subject detection in manual focus as thatís a Zf feature



Mar 20, 2024 at 04:22 PM
Kasper6188
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.29 #5 · p.29 #5 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


fjablo wrote:
You also get the green box focus confirmation and exif data. The only thing missing is subject detection in manual focus as thatís a Zf feature


You actually can use subject detection with MF with the TTA because if you leave the camera in AFS or AFC you can still use wide area with eye detect.



Mar 20, 2024 at 08:44 PM
bemei
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #6 · p.29 #6 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


johnvanr wrote:
Itís the official Shopify page of TT ARtisan. Bought one there myself two days ago and it was immediately shipped out (from China).


Many thanks!



Mar 21, 2024 at 12:45 AM
bemei
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #7 · p.29 #7 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


Does the Zfc also have the green square focus confirmation with manual lenses using a chipped adaptor? Or was it a new innovation for the ZF?


Mar 22, 2024 at 07:03 AM
stgrove
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.29 #8 · p.29 #8 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


Of those of you who own an M camera, is it beneficial to own the Zf for use with your Leica M lenses if you are wishing for those features Nikon offers on a future M just to see how you adapt to this idea of AF confirmation Etc with a manual Leica M lens?


Mar 22, 2024 at 08:13 AM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.29 #9 · p.29 #9 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses




stgrove wrote:
Of those of you who own an M camera, is it beneficial to own the Zf for use with your Leica M lenses if you are wishing for those features Nikon offers on a future M just to see how you adapt to this idea of AF confirmation Etc with a manual Leica M lens?



In my opinion no it doesn't make sense to own both. If you are able to competently focus with the range finder then you have no need for the focus confirmation feature. If you are unable to focus with the range finder but can with the Zf, then sell your M camera and lenses and get a Zf and native Z lenses.

When I want to shoot manual I want the equipment that delivers both the best IQ and the best experience and form factor available. To me that means Leica M.


When I want to shoot AF I also want the best IQ, experience, and form factor available. So I choose the camera system that delivers that for my preferences.


To me the Zf doesn't provide the best of either. It does however make a very good companion camera for someone who shoots a Z9. It also makes sense as a single camera for someone who is willing to make some compromises in both AF and MF systems.



Mar 22, 2024 at 08:48 AM
stgrove
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.29 #10 · p.29 #10 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


Based on the newish TTA 6 bit adapter M-Z was what prompted my question.

The last thing I need is another system!

That said if Leica ever came out with a small camera that could help with focusing M lenses via a built-in EVF I would try that.



Mar 22, 2024 at 10:50 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

RyanDelaney
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.29 #11 · p.29 #11 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


Just picked up a Zf and mounted the infamous CV 40/1.2 from my M mount collection.

Stoked.







Mar 24, 2024 at 06:16 PM
bemei
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #12 · p.29 #12 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


I'm wondering if the Megadap ETZ21 would provide the required chip for giving the green focus square using totally manual lenses? Coming from Sony all my current alt lens adapters are based on that mount which would be useful rather than realigning to an M mount base to use the chipped TT adapter. Would kill two birds with one stone (could use current sony lenses also) and be more affordable overall. Has anyone tried it?


Mar 28, 2024 at 03:08 AM
fjablo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #13 · p.29 #13 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


bemei wrote:
I'm wondering if the Megadap ETZ21 would provide the required chip for giving the green focus square using totally manual lenses? Coming from Sony all my current alt lens adapters are based on that mount which would be useful rather than realigning to an M mount base to use the chipped TT adapter. Would kill two birds with one stone (could use current sony lenses also) and be more affordable overall. Has anyone tried it?


You mean a dumb adapter (e.g. Canon FD to Sony E) on top of the ETZ21? That combination won't give you the focus confirmation functionality as no focal length is communicated to the camera.

Native, chipped E-mount (such as Zeiss Loxia) via ETZ21 should give you focus confirmation etc



Mar 28, 2024 at 07:08 AM
Steve Spencer
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.29 #14 · p.29 #14 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


fjablo wrote:
You mean a dumb adapter (e.g. Canon FD to Sony E) on top of the ETZ21? That combination won't give you the focus confirmation functionality as no focal length is communicated to the camera.

Native, chipped E-mount (such as Zeiss Loxia) via ETZ21 should give you focus confirmation etc


I am not sure if the Loxia lenses would give you focus confirmation either because they don't transmit focus distance to E-mount cameras (that is why they only have 3-axis image stabilization with Sony cameras). I do know that the Voigtlander E-mount lenses which do transmit focus distance and have 5-axis image stabilization on Sony cameras allow focus confirmation on Z mount Nikon cameras with the ETZ21 adapter.



Mar 28, 2024 at 07:22 AM
bemei
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #15 · p.29 #15 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


fjablo wrote:
You mean a dumb adapter (e.g. Canon FD to Sony E) on top of the ETZ21? That combination won't give you the focus confirmation functionality as no focal length is communicated to the camera.

Native, chipped E-mount (such as Zeiss Loxia) via ETZ21 should give you focus confirmation etc


I'm confused, focal length communication is required for focus confirmation using a chipped adaptor? I've not heard that before here.

Steve Spencer wrote:
I am not sure if the Loxia lenses would give you focus confirmation either because they don't transmit focus distance to E-mount cameras (that is why they only have 3-axis image stabilization with Sony cameras). I do know that the Voigtlander E-mount lenses which do transmit focus distance and have 5-axis image stabilization on Sony cameras allow focus confirmation on Z mount Nikon cameras with the ETZ21 adapter.


Focus distance does not seem to be a requirement for focus confirmation using a chipped adaptor from what I've read here. Just needed to achieve the ultimate accuracy.



Mar 28, 2024 at 07:27 AM
fjablo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #16 · p.29 #16 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


bemei wrote:
I'm confused, focal length communication is required for focus confirmation using a chipped adaptor? I've not heard that before here.

Focus distance does not seem to be a requirement for focus confirmation using a chipped adaptor from what I've read here. Just needed to achieve the ultimate accuracy.


Yep it appears that what is needed* is essentially the focal length information, potentially including some sort of lens name/identifier. That is what the TTartisan 6bit adapter provides. It obviously does not provide focus distance information (neither do the Z mount Voigtlanders if I remember correctly?) and it seems that isn't required for focus confirmation to work.

A dumb adapter stacked on top of the ETZ21 would still not communicate anything to the camera and thus focus confirmation won't be enabled.

* It could probably work without, but that appears to be the firmware limitation built in by Nikon



Mar 28, 2024 at 07:58 AM
snoogly
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #17 · p.29 #17 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


I am having no luck here :-( I bought one of the 6-bit adapters, and although it works perfectly on my Z6ii, my ZF seems not to see it all. No focal length is registered, and the shutter button only works if I press the reset button on the adapter at the same time. The ZF just Ďseesí whatever the non-cpu lens was mounted before the adapter.

Does this behaviour match anyone elseís experience?



Mar 30, 2024 at 01:00 AM
fjablo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #18 · p.29 #18 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


snoogly wrote:
I am having no luck here :-( I bought one of the 6-bit adapters, and although it works perfectly on my Z6ii, my ZF seems not to see it all. No focal length is registered, and the shutter button only works if I press the reset button on the adapter at the same time. The ZF just Ďseesí whatever the non-cpu lens was mounted before the adapter.

Does this behaviour match anyone elseís experience?


Did you update to the latest firmware? My adapter needed that before it worked with the Zf



Mar 30, 2024 at 03:19 AM
snoogly
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #19 · p.29 #19 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


fjablo wrote:
Did you update to the latest firmware? My adapter needed that before it worked with the Zf


I donít have access to a PC to be able to update the firmware at the moment, and wonít have for a couple of weeks :-(

Can I ask how your ZF interacted with the adapter before updating? Was it like my situation now?



Mar 30, 2024 at 03:25 AM
fjablo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #20 · p.29 #20 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


I didnít check it extensively. When I saw that the focus confirmation didnít work I immediately updated the firmware and it worked afterwards.

But my guess is that it just acts as a dumb adapter then. You can use the non-CPU menu to manually enter the focal length of the lens youíre using. Maybe assign a custom button to switch between non-CPU lenses to speed up the process while your adapter is not updated



Mar 30, 2024 at 04:55 AM
1       2       3              28              30              33       34       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              28              30              33       34       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.