New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              27      
       29       30       end

Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Jepser
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #1 · p.28 #1 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Im not a tele-photo guy, but brought out my Leitz Telyt 400/6.8 r-mount yesterday. With only two glases in the lens it's quite good Made 1972. Very minor level-changes.

DSC_2907_tely by Jesper Ericson, on Flickr

DSC_2913_telyt by Jesper Ericson, on Flickr

Feb 25, 2024 at 07:37 AM
theopwildebeest

p.28 #2 · p.28 #2 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Has anyone used the Brightin Star 28mm F2.8 pancake lens on the Nikon Zf? If so, how does it handle? Do you have any unedited photographs taken using the lens on the Zf to share? Could you post any photos of the lens on the camera?

Thank you for your time.

Feb 29, 2024 at 01:49 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.28 #3 · p.28 #3 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

I'm shooting an X-T3 and considering a switch to the Nikon Zf. I'm a music photographer. I use manual focus lenses. I am working my way through this thread - thanks all for your feedback on the Zf as a platform for MF lenses.

I shot a Sony A7 for years. After upgrading to the A7R2, I ended up adding Fuji for something smaller. I was surprised how much I preferred the experience, and migrated to Fuji. I bought a kit of Fuji AF lenses, but didn't get along with AF and went back to MF lenses.

A few questions -

1. Can you use Auto ISO in manual mode? That is, can you let the meter pick an ISO while controlling aperture and shutter speed? Can you do this with MF lenses on dumb adapters? Can you do this with Nikon Z AF lenses?

2. Does the meter respect exposure compensation by changing the ISO when using Auto ISO with manual aperture and shutter?

3. Did Nikon do anything to dumb the camera down when using MF lenses without any contacts?

4. Do the ISO and shutter speed dial spin freely, or is there a way to feel where you are on the dial? E.g deeper detents on Contax G1 or a hard stop at each end like the Fuji X100S.

5. Is there really no way to put the camera back into auto shutter without going into the menu? Something I've read online, but surely Nikon has fixed this?

I'm sure I'll have more - hoping I'll get a sense of the Zf as a MF camera reading the thread. Thanks all!

Mar 11, 2024 at 02:43 PM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.28 #4 · p.28 #4 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

arduluth wrote:
1. Can you use Auto ISO in manual mode? That is, can you let the meter pick an ISO while controlling aperture and shutter speed? Can you do this with MF lenses on dumb adapters? Can you do this with Nikon Z AF lenses?

Yes.

2. Does the meter respect exposure compensation by changing the ISO when using Auto ISO with manual aperture and shutter?

Yes.

3. Did Nikon do anything to dumb the camera down when using MF lenses without any contacts?

Kind of, yes. My understanding is that the metering happens stopped down. I don't have Ai(-S) lenses without CPUs any more so I can't check but this is my understanding and it applies to the use of the FTZ and FTZ II adapters.

4. Do the ISO and shutter speed dial spin freely, or is there a way to feel where you are on the dial? E.g deeper detents on Contax G1 or a hard stop at each end like the Fuji X100S.

The ISO dial will stop and lock in the C position. There is a button to unlock and return to the other settings.
The shutter speed dial has several settings that "lock": 1/3 step, X, T, and B.

5. Is there really no way to put the camera back into auto shutter without going into the menu? Something I've read online, but surely Nikon has fixed this?

What do you mean by "auto shutter"? Do you mean automatic selection of EFCS vs. mechanical shutter? That is in the menu. Aperture priority with shutter speed selected automatically is selected on a MASP lever on the left side of the camera.

Mar 11, 2024 at 02:54 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.28 #5 · p.28 #5 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Thanks you for the replies! I think I may pull the trigger and get a Zf. Probably a bit of an unpopular opinion, but - I don't especially miss full frame. High ISO looks pretty good on my Fujis and I don't chase shallow DOF. But I sure do miss the look of my old film lenses at full FOV.

ilkka_nissila wrote:
The ISO dial will stop and lock in the C position. There is a button to unlock and return to the other settings.
The shutter speed dial has several settings that "lock": 1/3 step, X, T, and B.

Ah, so as you spin the dial, it locks as soon as you hit one of those settings? Then you hold down the release in the middle of the dial to get it moving again?

What do you mean by "auto shutter"? Do you mean automatic selection of EFCS vs. mechanical shutter? That is in the menu. Aperture priority with shutter speed selected automatically is selected on a MASP lever on the left side of the camera.

Apologies - misspoke there. I mean auto shutter speed. That is, on the Fuji you can do manual control on each of the three sides of the exposure triangle - aperture, shutter speed, ISO. You can also put any of them independently on "A" to have the camera handle it. I usually keep shutter speed on A/Auto, which I have set up for a floor of 1/100. Sometimes I'll want a slower or faster shutter, and I'll spin the dial from "A" to 1/30 for a that shot, then back to A.

I read somewhere (here or maybe DPR) that there's no equivalent to Fuji's "A" on the shutter speed dial. Instead, you have to go into the menus and re-enable auto shutter speed each time.

Mar 11, 2024 at 03:52 PM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.28 #6 · p.28 #6 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

arduluth wrote:
Ah, so as you spin the dial, it locks as soon as you hit one of those settings? Then you hold down the release in the middle of the dial to get it moving again?

Yes.

Apologies - misspoke there. I mean auto shutter speed. That is, on the Fuji you can do manual control on each of the three sides of the exposure triangle - aperture, shutter speed, ISO. You can also put any of them independently on "A" to have the camera handle it. I usually keep shutter speed on A/Auto, which I have set up for a floor of 1/100. Sometimes I'll want a slower or faster shutter, and I'll spin the dial from "A" to 1/30 for a that shot, then back to A.

On Nikon, this is called aperture-priority where you select aperture and the camera will select shutter speed. Or it can be program if the intent is for the camera to select both aperture and shutter speed. These are selected from the level on the top left of the camera. However, if you want to select a minimum shutter speed, then you basically have to select Auto ISO (I have put this toggle in the My Menu activated by the Fn button on the front of the camera) and within the Auto ISO settings you can select minimum shutter speed. These settings are in the menu and there is no direct control for them though it is possible to program Fn+front dial (or another button) to turn on/off Auto ISO. Anyway it's one of those things that are a little bit difficult on Nikons to adjust. You can though set up Auto ISO so that the camera automatically selects the minimum shutter speed based on the focal length of the lens. And it can be set Auto +-2 so you can select it to choose faster or slower speeds relative to the focal length.

Mar 11, 2024 at 04:02 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.28 #7 · p.28 #7 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

akashyap wrote:
Based on the responses to the questions I asked on the thread earlier, it seems like Zf is the only place where we can get manual focus confirmation to work for M, E, and Z lenses (assuming the right chipped lenses and smart adapters). That plus a Kolari mod (which isnít offered for A7C cameras yet?) make it a pretty strong platform for long term manual focus use.

Interesting comments by highdesertmesa thoughÖ wouldnít have expected that with modern mirrorless cameras and software :/ bummer.

How does one get focus confirmation with M lenses?

Mar 11, 2024 at 05:53 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.28 #8 · p.28 #8 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

johnvanr wrote:
How does one get focus confirmation with M lenses?

Read more of the thread. Question answered, kind of.

Still get the feeling that if you want the most out of the ZF with MF glass, the best way is the VL Z mount lenses and if you want the most out of M mount glass, you get the M or SL Leica cameras.

Also find the ZF uncomfortably heavy as a platform for M lenses (as is the SL series).

Mar 11, 2024 at 08:46 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.28 #9 · p.28 #9 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

johnvanr wrote:
Read more of the thread. Question answered, kind of.

Still get the feeling that if you want the most out of the ZF with MF glass, the best way is the VL Z mount lenses and if you want the most out of M mount glass, you get the M or SL Leica cameras.

Also find the ZF uncomfortably heavy as a platform for M lenses (as is the SL series).

Hey John, I hope you are well.

I have come to the conclusion that for maximum performance, M mount Glass belongs on Leica M bodies. M mount glass designed for M film cameras belongs on M film bodies, M glass designed for digital belongs on M digital bodies.

I no longer adapt lenses. I only use native glass with whichever mount I am shooting.

The big issue that I see my friends who bought the Zf is that it is large and heavy, and the form factor is not really very comfortable to shoot with. When you add a grip it is even bigger and heavier. Nikon really has very very few native Z lenses that fully complete the vintage shooting experience. Internally it is a very nice camera, with many great features and very good performance. But it is sort of a "tweener" in design, lenses, and shooting experience. A couple of my friends who bought one because they liked the look have already sold/returned it because of this.

Mar 11, 2024 at 09:02 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.28 #10 · p.28 #10 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

1bwana1 wrote:
Hey John, I hope you are well.

I have come to the conclusion that for maximum performance, M mount Glass belongs on Leica M bodies. M mount glass designed for M film cameras belongs on M film bodies, M glass designed for digital belongs on M digital bodies.

I no longer adapt lenses. I only use native glass with whichever mount I am shooting.

The big issue that I see my friends who bought the Zf is that it is large and heavy, and the form factor is not really very comfortable to shoot with. When you add a grip it is even
...Show more

Doing well, thanks. I tend to agree with you.

The ZF is indeed heavy. I think it looks larger than it is, just like the M looks smaller than it is. I also think Nikon missed a few things that make the ZF fall short of its alleged role.

I do like the fact that they have developed that MF tool, though. That bodes well for the future of using MF lenses if one wants to, assuming the tech makes its way to other brands as well.

Mar 11, 2024 at 09:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.28 #11 · p.28 #11 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

johnvanr wrote:
Doing well, thanks. I tend to agree with you.

The ZF is indeed heavy. I think it looks larger than it is, just like the M looks smaller than it is. I also think Nikon missed a few things that make the ZF fall short of its alleged role.

I do like the fact that they have developed that MF tool, though. That bodes well for the future of using MF lenses if one wants to, assuming the tech makes its way to other brands as well.

In the end we must acknowledge that all the recent generation of camerare very very good. In the end this all comes down to nothing more than personal preferences.

I have one friend who shoots his Z9 for birds and loves it. But finds it way too big for everyday use. So, he bought a Leica Q. He enjoys that as well. But I suspect he finds the fixed focal length a bit restrictive. He now also has a Zf and loves it. He plans to build a Voigtlander native Z manual focus kit for it. I am thinking he will sell the Leica and keep the Zf.

The Zf does make an ideal companion for the Z9, and many will use it that way I am sure.

Preferences, just preferences.

Mar 11, 2024 at 09:38 PM
sander9t

p.28 #12 · p.28 #12 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

My Zf indigo blue + TTArtisan 6-bit + Nokton 50/1.5 Aspherical VM II SC. I also like chromed brass LTM lenses (e.g., Canon, Nikon, Topcor) on this camera.

Mirrorless form factor at its best by Sander Li, on Flickr

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:48 AM
Paul Z

p.28 #13 · p.28 #13 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

sander9t wrote:
My Zf indigo blue + TTArtisan 6-bit + Nokton 50/1.5 Aspherical VM II SC. I also like chromed brass LTM lenses (e.g., Canon, Nikon, Topcor) on this camera.

Oh, man. That's pretty. Colour matching the S.C. lettering

Mar 18, 2024 at 08:17 AM
sander9t

p.28 #14 · p.28 #14 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Paul Z wrote:
Oh, man. That's pretty. Colour matching the S.C. lettering

Thanks. I didn't even notice that until someone mentioned it in a comment .

Mar 18, 2024 at 09:16 AM
fjablo
• • •
p.28 #15 · p.28 #15 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

I noticed some hard vignetting with the TTartisan 6bit adapter + Urth F to M + Nikkor Ai-S 50mm 1.4 on the Zf.
Never noticed that before and will test the combo with the Z7 when Iím back home.

IĎm using the FTZ ii for now as I donít want to end up cropping all my images.. but the lack of focus confirmation sucks 😬

Mar 18, 2024 at 01:33 PM
sander9t

p.28 #16 · p.28 #16 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 CY on Zf through two adapters: Shoten CY-FX and Fotodiox FX-NZ. Shoten does have a CY-NZ that looks similar but I just wanted to save a little money by using my existing FX mount adapters. IMO with the thick adapter and average size lens, the whole setup doesn't look too elegant. I have ordered a Shoten NF-NZ and I think with the pancake Nikon 50/1.8 lens the setup will look better. The good thing is that the lens + adapters (weighing almost a pound) still balance well on the Zf with an external grip!

Planar 50/1.4 CY on Nikon Zf by Sander Li, on Flickr

Mar 18, 2024 at 07:07 PM
bemei

p.28 #17 · p.28 #17 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Is the TTartisan 6bit adapter discontinued? Can't seem to find it anywhere including the TTartisan website. I was getting rather excited about the idea of the ZF with the TT 50mm 1.4 Asph in M mount and this adapter giving me green box focus confirmation, as a 'retirement from pro event photography' present to myself. Looking to go back to my photographic roots but with help for eyes that don't manually focus as fast as they did.

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:33 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.28 #18 · p.28 #18 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

bemei wrote:
Is the TTartisan 6bit adapter discontinued? Can't seem to find it anywhere including the TTartisan website. I was getting rather excited about the idea of the ZF with the TT 50mm 1.4 Asph in M mount and this adapter giving me green box focus confirmation, as a 'retirement from pro event photography' present to myself. Looking to go back to my photographic roots but with help for eyes that don't manually focus as fast as they did.

Itís here: https://ttartisan.myshopify.com/products/m-z-6bit-adapter-ring

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:43 AM
bemei

p.28 #19 · p.28 #19 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

johnvanr wrote:
Itís here: https://ttartisan.myshopify.com/products/m-z-6bit-adapter-ring

Being a bit wary of something on shopify which is listed as not available everywhere else?

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:47 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.28 #20 · p.28 #20 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

bemei wrote:
Being a bit wary of something on shopify which is listed as not available everywhere else?

Itís the official Shopify page of TT ARtisan. Bought one there myself two days ago and it was immediately shipped out (from China).

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:00 PM
       29       30       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

29       30       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.